Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Lunneys alleged attacker dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Makes sense, cos in my experience groups of local lads down the pub do get upset about the activities of financial regulators. And decide to act out out that upset by kidnapping and viciously torturing a prominent businessman...

The Klan were doing such things when your great grandma was still in nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

threeball wrote: »
    The businesses made money but they wouldn't have gotten anywhere without the money coming from elsewhere. They're not trying to squeeze out the current administration out of a love loyalty to Quinn.

The IRA operated at a significant loss throughout the 1990s. They didn't have the funds to be putting into businesses. SQ managed to get a foothold in extremely profitable businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Klan were doing such things when your great grandma was still in nappies.

I can’t find any reports of the Klan attacking a financial regulator. Ever.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

The IRA operated at a significant loss throughout the 1990s. They didn't have the funds to be putting into businesses. SQ managed to get a foothold in extremely profitable businesses

The IRA was but there were plenty of disciples who were very wealthy men from the rackets they were running in the north and border counties. They weren't going to just hand that over to the cause.
    Quinn got there with dirty money imo. It's almost impossible to reach the levels he reached in a lifetime coming from nothing unless you invent something thats wanted universally and probably not seen before. He did none of the above. His entire business centred on the border counties initially then expanded to ireland which is a tiny market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The walls closing in now apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The IRA was but there were plenty of disciples who were very wealthy men from the rackets they were running in the north and border counties. They weren't going to just hand that over to the cause.
    Quinn got there with dirty money imo. It's almost impossible to reach the levels he reached in a lifetime coming from nothing unless you invent something thats wanted universally and probably not seen before. He did none of the above. His entire business centred on the border counties initially then expanded to ireland which is a tiny market.

I would imagine that you are thinking of one person i particular that straddles the border. He had actually lent the IRA two million pounds to keep them operational at one point.

Would take an awful lot of money to build up a six billion euro business. You are barking up the wrong tree

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's almost impossible to reach the levels he reached in a lifetime coming from nothing unless you invent something thats wanted universally and probably not seen before.

And yet people keep doing it. Funny dat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Where’s Peter Darragh Quinn these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Scotty # wrote: »
    Anglo could not let Quinn fail because he controlled 25% of the banks stock and if that all hit the market at once, the share price would plummet. The margins were costing him millions per month. €500m in one month alone. This was all being funded by Anglo. They new they were on the road to disaster and THEY CONVINCED HIM to convert to shares to try and stabalise the share price eventually lending him €3.5b in total. This still wasn't enough to they approached the Maple Ten to sell a futher 10% in shares. All these shares were purchased under pressure from Anglo, who already knew they were on a sinking ship.

Have a read of this... https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/quinns-shock-anglo-stake-led-to-maple-ten-saga-265754.html

You don't control shares through CFD's, the counterparty doesn't control them either. There were no shares to be dumped unless as I've speculated that these CFDs were a little bit different and were, by design, going to leave SQ with a controlling interest, regardless of the share price.

I get that when Anglo found out that their instinct was to fund the deal, however dodgy that may have been, but only the original CDF could have required the counterparties to hold the shares in the first place and for SQ to have to follow through with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Where’s Peter Darragh Quinn these days?

organising Cyril McGuinness's funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the 2 McGuinness being related.

I doubt it.

All the media reports haven't mentioned it, or at least all the ones I've seen.

If they were cousins the media would be shouting it from the rooftops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Referring to a murder carried out by two 13 year olds as “amateur” is pathetic. What were you hoping for, DNA awareness and alibis?

What I was referring to was the pathetic claim that it was some sort of brilliant mastermind crime solve by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

high_king wrote: »
    What I was referring to was the pathetic claim that it was some sort of brilliant mastermind crime solve by the Gardai.

When you say solve you mean secure a conviction?
    I think the case was a positive example of the Gardai.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    When you say solve you mean secure a conviction?
    I think the case was a positive example of the Gardai.

Not for crime in the border area or the other self chosen no go areas for the "Gardai"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I don`t think anyone ordered the attack. It was not a terrorist attack in that it was not politically motivated. It was not business motivated in that Sean Quinn had nothing to do with it and nobody else could reasonably be expected to be assured of Mr Lunneys job had he decided to quit. I think it was just a few local lads unhappy with the way Dublin institutions ignored the incompetence of the financial regulator (which all taxpayers had to fund) and opted to go after the assets of Mr Quinn. Such anger with the Dublin government is entirely understandable in my opinion.

I don`t know who this person in the UK was but I do not believe he "ordered" an attack. He was probably someone certain individuals in positions of power here in Ireland had a gripe against and decided to use the horrendous attack in Cavan as an excuse to make trouble for that person. This is just what I think is most likely. There is a culture in this country of assuming certain individuals are troublemakers and then the authorities cause trouble for those people. Granted these people are probably not angels but I think such crude methods are wrong and can lead to injustices.

For example, a former Garda Commissioner announced a few years ago that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and based on that, we were all supposed to believe it. Maybe it was true but I require irrefutable evidence which I deem to be beyond all reasonable doubt. Then wasn`t there some attempt by the Gardaí to pin something on some people up in Donegal a few years back? This is to say nothing of all the other scandals around fake breath tests and so on.

Call me a skeptic but I just don`t think anyone ordered the attack on Mr Lunney.

Pretty sure you’re wrong but thank you for your lovely rant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why did they attack that business man anyway ?
    Was it for money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Why did they attack that business man anyway ?
    Was it for money ?

Well the media reports that those involved were paid to do so.
    So yes it was for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

high_king wrote: »
    Not for crime in the border area or the other self chosen no go areas for the "Gardai"
    Reading reports over the weekend this gent got the benefit of suspended sentences for very serious crimes on two occasions despite having several previous convictions. The Guards can only do so much and its up to the Courts to punish appropriately. No doubt several legal eagles have prospered on giving him legal advice courtesy of the taxpayer and of course he benefited by supplying cars to the freedom fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Let's face it the border is a lawless area, and hopefully this might spur the authorities in both states to police it more effectively.
    Personally i would welcome a joint Garda/PSNI cross-border unit to tackle scumbags like this guy.

"It's akin to trolling considering this is an Irish discussion forum".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Call me Al wrote: »
    Well the media reports that those involved were paid to do so.
    So yes it was for money.

christ frightening, that even a successful businessman can be targetted like that ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Is nobody going to defen........ Oh I'm sorry, I tried to keep a straight face. :) Rot in hell.....

its so surprising i mean he looks like such a kind gentle person..

0_Cyril-McGuinness.jpg

fryup wrote: »

0_Cyril-McGuinness.jpg

did he ever stand for SF?

no he stood for the Green Party,

Cyril was always very concerned about environmental issues

no he stood for the Green Party,

Cyril was always very concerned about environmental issues

LOL

a real Rainbow Warrior he was. i hear Greta might be coming to the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

0_Cyril-McGuinness.jpg
    So frightened when the Old Bill came through the door he soiled himself before having a heart attack

separated at birth?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPZn-PlbWCf5MYJ-glUrc8rCZ8XEpmvbQKQ9zFO5jieNGRoAi&s

0_Cyril-McGuinness.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

0_Cyril-McGuinness.jpg

Yeh I prefer my gangsters dressed in suits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

did he ever stand for SF?

Did he ever stand for Mary Lou?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I heard today that Cyril McGuinness was a Director of a company that supplied Sean Quinn quarries and cement company with their lorries...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement