Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 16:06   #31
Sleepy

CPO nox001 family / neighbour's land and build cheaply there!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 16:12   #32
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
CPO nox001 family / neighbour's land and build cheaply there!
Way too far from anywhere to ever worry about that. Motorways are the only thing that get cpo around us and that’s already done.
13-02-2020, 16:16   #33
Sweet.Science

I have worked my ass off since i was 18 and cant afford property in Chapelizod

People have never worked in their life and filled a form out online when they were 18 will end up living there

How is this acceptable?
13-02-2020, 16:21   #34
bubblypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Science View Post

People have never worked in their life and filled a form out online when they were 18 will end up living there

How is this acceptable?
because there is an onus on the state to house people who cannot house themselves. Maybe you might have heard about the homeless issues in Dublin???

and why would you think people who have social homes in Chapelizod have never worked in their life?
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 16:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
The only issue I see with this development is that the Council should be obliged to set aside 20% or whatever for affordable housing, just like the 20% in private developments!

Does anyone have a mock up of the design or where would I find it.

I don't live in that area (Chapelizod), but I know it well. The site is magnificent, backing on to the Phoenix Park, across the road from a lovely 19th century church, on the banks of the Liffey, bus to town in 15 or so minutes and so on. It is a prime site. If designed well it could be great as there is nothing else along that road besides a car dealership and the boat clubs.

There is another vacant site near the bridge and AFAIK it is council owned too, has been derelict for donkeys years. That's next I'd say.

The site under consideration is on the left here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3474...7i16384!8i8192

This is the other vacant site on the left.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3483...7i16384!8i8192
The site in your second link is privately owned. The development that is going ahead is a quick build modular design. What the residents group wants is a good design, properly built with a social mix. They want to see the site developed and new homes made available, just not 100% social housing and poor quality build. I don't think it can be lumped in with the usual nimbyism.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 16:28   #36
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Science View Post

How is this acceptable?
have you considered affordable housing ? Its the norm in well run developed countries on the continent to have mixed affordable housing.

Perhaps you should be able to live in chapelizod.

You know areas do actually need people of all wages scales to function right ?

i mean who do you think works in Tesco, the coffee shops, collects your bins, does your taxes, is your solicitor, is your GP.

Just because someone earns less than you or conversely more than you doesnt make them a better person or a scummy person.

Housing is for all, well it was for all until the Americans started messing with the markets in the late 70s early 80s and here we are today.
(5) thanks from:
13-02-2020, 17:06   #37
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblypop View Post
because there is an onus on the state to house people who cannot house themselves. Maybe you might have heard about the homeless issues in Dublin???

and why would you think people who have social homes in Chapelizod have never worked in their life?
They don't have to house them in better housing in prime locations than people paying their own way.

There are towns complaining about depopulation they could house people.

The highest positions on housing lists will be single parents with no jobs. That is how the lists work so they will get effectively free houses because all their income is state benefits. Equivalent salary for a parent with 3 kids and in state benefits is around €60k income. That jumps up if they have a house in a nice area provided.
(2) thanks from:
13-02-2020, 17:14   #38
AulWan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
That is total rubbish to be fair. There are very strong grounds and many reasons for not wanting to live beside social housing or why people paying for their home should not have to live beside them.
Says he who is thirty something and still lives (rurally) with his Ma.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 17:35   #39
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblypop View Post
because there is an onus on the state to house people who cannot house themselves.
There's no onus on the State to house them 6KM from the centre of the capital in apartments built to exacting building standards though, is there?
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 19:29   #40
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Hopefully the objections will be swept aside in due course. You own your house, you don’t own land near your house. The objections are obviously frivolous, and will fail.
13-02-2020, 20:06   #41
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulWan View Post
Says he who is thirty something and still lives (rurally) with his Ma.
What has your totally irrelevant point got to do with what I said?

Social housing should not be mixed into mice expensive residential developments.
13-02-2020, 20:09   #42
AulWan

Quote:
What has your totally irrelevant point got to do with what I said?

Social housing should not be mixed into mice expensive residential developments.
Says the thirty something who still lives at home (rurally) with his Ma - for free.
13-02-2020, 20:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Hopefully the objections will be swept aside in due course. You own your house, you don’t own land near your house. The objections are obviously frivolous, and will fail.
Ownership of land does not give anyone the right to do as they please with it. Good planning and building regulations are essential. As citizens we should all have the right to object when we see what we believe is bad planning or a failure to adhere to building regulations. We all have to share the built environment. As for the objections that you have decided are obviously frivolous, I would be grateful if you could link to them.
13-02-2020, 20:17   #44
Sir Oxman

Quote:
Anti-social behavior, crime, no respect for property or area, why should they live for free/cheap beside people who are working hard everyday to pay for their house etc etc.
<snip further arseholery>
Working people need social housing.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 20:29   #45
collywobble7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator
there are people dying literally for the want of a roof over their head
No there aren't.

Last edited by Graham; 13-02-2020 at 21:08. Reason: quote fix
Thanks from:

Quick Reply