Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is a game I've always wanted to be sucked into, but it was always a mile wide and an inch deep (cliche, I know).

Is it worth getting into for single player alone? How's the grind these days?

To be honest, unless you have friends who play it or join a clan, it's effectively ALWAYS single player IMO. Rare enough that you encounter real players outside of high profile worlds or community goal targets. 99% of interaction will be with AI ships

Can't speak to the current grind as I haven't been on in months, but it's a core element of the game that I don't see them changing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In some ways the game is only as grindy as you make it, there's actually not a whole lot different between the big ships and the smaller ones. In many ways the smaller or mid size ships are a lot more fun to pilot tahn the likes of the 'vette but you don't get the satisfaction of seeing your cash go up as quick in the smaller ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is there a main storyline in Elite, i picked it up in very earlg access but never really played much??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Really disappointed at the announcement of no expansion for another 18 months.

those who bought a a lifetime expansion pass must be furious.

I presume frontier must be focused on another game, hard to understand such a long timeline otherwise, especially given how long ago horizons came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

They've put most of their ED resources into the development of the next expansion which they've already described as huge. They've left a small dedicated team to working on bug fixes and other updates (like the smaller Beyond updates) which will be coming out every 3-4 months. They're also working on refining the new player experience and making changes to how CGs work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dev notes for the April update
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/april-update-coming-23-april-2019.508239/

Greetings Commanders,

We’re very pleased to announce that the next update for Elite Dangerous, the April Update, will release on... Tuesday 23 April 2019!

As mentioned in the beginning of March, this year's initial updates will focus on introducing quality of life improvements and improving the welcoming experience for beginners. This update brings with it two new modules to help get you out there, engaging in and exploring all that there is to discover - as well as ensure that you're able to access in-game information and training from the seat of your cockpit!

Read below for all of the details:

Beginners' Zone

A new collection of systems has been added for newly-created Commanders, and can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank. In addition, the authorities here will provide simpler missions that even the smallest of Sidewinders can complete.

Across the galaxy, new Commanders will also have a reduced rebuy until they gain their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank, a step in the path towards greatness!

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer

We're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.

The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!

This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.

Supercruise Assist

Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!

With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.

This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

Navigation Tab

In Beyond - Chapter Four, the cockpit was completely revamped, and with the April Update, come even more improvements! The latest area to feel the love is the Navigation Panel where, in places, we have added icons for a tighter, more visually appealing layout.

A new column has been added to this panel, denoting activities in an area, mission targets, plotted routes, Wanted status and if the threat level of some areas is too high. The Navigation popup expands on this information, providing more details about the location, such as faction details, star class, information of resources and more!

Two of these may sound new to you - so allow us to explain!
    • Activities - Every location in the Elite galaxy, offers different activities, be it collecting Combat Bonds in a Combat Zone, or mining asteroids at a Resource Extraction Site. Icons and links to the Pilots' Handbook (see below) have been added to help you easily identify what activities are available at a given location.
    • Threat Level - Threat Level is something that already exists in the game (previously only seen at Unidentified Signal Sources), but this new marker will now appear in all systems. If a location has a threat level too high for your current combat rank, a 'danger' icon will be displayed, warning you that the location might be too dangerous.
    Pilot's Handbook

Like the Codex, the Pilot's Handbook is a treasure trove of information, providing details on the many activities available to you in Elite Dangerous. Whether you're a veteran, or you've only just graduated from flight school, these articles will help you discover what opportunities are out there - and what is required to get involved in them. With links from the cockpit straight to the Pilot's Handbook, sourcing information is easier than ever before!

Trading Screen Improvements

When you're an interstellar trader, every minute is a potential sale... so to help you avoid being badgered by a strange man trying to sell you the 'deal of a lifetime' (500 tonnes of bio-waste is not always a good deal, by the way!), a number of improvements have been made to the user interface of the Commodities Market.

You will find two panels in the Commodities Market, Buy and Sell. Each new panel will provide you with important information:
    • Commodities relevant to any active missions you're currently undertaking
    • Icons that provide feedback of profits and supplies.
    • Trade data on nearby local systems per commodity
    • Buy and sell commodities pop-up with much more info than before - helpful even to the seasoned trader!
    • Select markets or goods and view their trade data in the Galaxy Map.
    All these improvements have been introduced to make the Commodities Market easier to understand at a glance, ensuring every Commander can become a wolf of the interstellar Wall Street.

Interstellar Initiatives

Our name for the previously announced 'Community Events'. These are series of in-game events that play out over the course of around a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the narrative progresses, and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy. We'll be delving deeper into these in just a couple of weeks.

...and there's more!
    • Revamped main menu layout, including featuring GalNet news and other important information.
    • Training Missions and Challenge Scenarios will now be accessible via the cockpit, allowing you to brush up your skills right from the seat of your ship.
    • Loading screen tips.
    • Bug fixes.
    So there you have it, a brief take on some of the features coming in the next update.

Join us on Thursday 18 April (at 18:00 UTC) for a content reveal livestream, where Executive Producer Adam Woods will be showcasing how all of this looks in-game!

Until then, please feel free to share your thoughts and feedback with us below.

See you in the black, Commander!

Some interesting stuff here and the extra cargo slots sure wont hurt either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

maybe with that new supercruise autopilot function I might grab a hutton orbital mug.

Won't be as much point in sending newbies for their free anaconda either.

shame that to look at the new beginner zones you would actually have to delete your character. Guess I will never see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...I can't say that there's too much to get excited about there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So after being bitterly disappointed in this game at launch and not bothering with it since then, playing the tabletop RPG of Elite Dangerous inspired me enough to reinstall the game and things are much improved.

I've managed to accumulate 700k and change in my slightly improved Eagle (pre-order bonus ship) and I'm not quite sure what I should do next. The combat's satisfying enough, but I think I'd enjoy doing some cargo work and mining just to see what else the game offers.

It looks like I should follow the normal journey and get a Cobra MkIII but I'm just wondering if there's any other advise or shortcuts to making big money I could go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shiminay wrote: »
    It looks like I should follow the normal journey and get a Cobra MkIII but I'm just wondering if there's any other advise or shortcuts to making big money I could go for?

Any of us could get you 50m in less than an hour, but do you really want it?

Chase the bigger shiny ship as you are going along, pick a home system and keep doing missions for one faction.

• Advertisement

50m an hour? Really? This is relevant to my interests! :D

Flew a few more assassination missions at lunch, just up to a million now, so I can see how reaching 50mil mightn't be that difficult when taking on the more advanced contracts.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know if it still works but if you look up the "road to rches" you could be in an anaconda within about 12 hours play time.

I think it's a lot more satisfying to just make your own way gradually though.

That seems to be related to the expansion stuff and planetary scanning which I don't have - but if I get much further along with this and find it enjoyable, I will almost certainly splash out for it.

You're missing out on a significant amount of game without the expansion.

At this point in the games life Horizons is vital and an important part of the game.

Its €8.74 on Steam

Yeah pick up horizons, if you think the game is improved without it you'll be delighted with it.

Oh wow, it was €25 earlier on :D Well then I guess I'll have to get it now.

Patch Notes

As expected it's geared mostly towards new players.

Was away for some of the weekend, but I had Friday off, so picked up a Type 6 for doing some space trucking and I've already made most of my money back with the help of https://eddb.io/trade/loops Initially, I was gonna go exploring with it and had installed an SRV hanger too, but I figured frak it, I'll be a full time trucker and make some easy money. The Hanger is there to be retrieved if I need it.

I was very tempted by a Dolphin to go and be a taxi driver, but I was too hungry to buy another ship rather than waiting to grind out the extra few million I'd need to make the most of the Dolphin :) However, that'll probably be my next purchase.

• Advertisement

Not a player myself, but thought I'd drop in this video link about the whole shebang!
    https://youtu.be/lhO-v1wMe3M

Was away for some of the weekend, but I had Friday off, so picked up a Type 6 for doing some space trucking and I've already made most of my money back with the help of https://eddb.io/trade/loops Initially, I was gonna go exploring with it and had installed an SRV hanger too, but I figured frak it, I'll be a full time trucker and make some easy money. The Hanger is there to be retrieved if I need it.

I was very tempted by a Dolphin to go and be a taxi driver, but I was too hungry to buy another ship rather than waiting to grind out the extra few million I'd need to make the most of the Dolphin smile.png However, that'll probably be my next purchase.

Check out passenger missions for an easy way to make insane amounts of credits at low levels now that you have a Type 6. I was pulling in 60-100 mil per hour in a Python out at Robigo Mines but I would suggest maxing out jump range and maybe looking into picking up an FSD booster first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id rate the T6 better than a dolphin for money makin doing passenger runs,in the bubble at least. Its a pig to fly though so its defo a trade off

Dont think the passenger ships are worth it other than an Orca,even then a T9 will net you way more money than an Orca but i just love how fast,agile and decent jump range the Orca has.

Then again peoples play styles differ,i cant help but try be efficent when looking at money making rather than playing a role. In nearly every other aspect of the game i like to try different ships but for straight up money makin ima min/max that.

I should probably look into moving to a more lucrative part of the galaxy, any suggestions of where I should aim for?

I should probably look into moving to a more lucrative part of the galaxy, any suggestions of where I should aim for?

Lucrative in cargo passenger missions is determined by the distance of the space port to the sun. The futher away it is the more you make.

But combat is the easiest and fastest way to make money. I can jump on tomorrow and get you a stupiid amount of money fairly quickly.

There is a free Anaconda in Hutton Orbital but it takes about an hour or so in supercruise to get there.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Lucrative in cargo passenger missions is determined by the distance of the space port to the sun. The futher away it is the more you make.

But combat is the easiest and fastest way to make money. I can jump on tomorrow and get you a stupiid amount of money fairly quickly.

There is a free Anaconda in Hutton Orbital but it takes about an hour or so in supercruise to get there.

Important to note, those free Conda's stock levels can drop to zero but getting into one is a great step due to how awesome that ship is for cargo runs, combat and exploration when built right and it shares a lot of the same size equipment parts as the other two big ships so engineering mats and time spent unlocking is not wasted if you move up to a Vette or Cutter.

I've already learned all about the free Anaconda... ;)

Huh I might have to fire up the game and nab that 'conda. Do you just have to fly to hutton orbital and buy it?

It's a long aul trip to Hutton, so bring a book, but yea. I think it's been changed with yesterday's patch and you have to bring something with you to trade for it now...

I'm still grinding away towards a Dolphin - I like the idea of an executive taxi service rather than repurposed cargo hauler :D Flew a few delivery missions above my "skill" level last night and the only issue I had with them was that I had an interdiction attempt each time I was about 30-40 seconds out from the final delivery spot which I've been able to avoid quite easily even in a lump of a thing like a Type 6. Trying to get myself well regarded in the Federation too so I can get a gunship in the future.

• Advertisement

What do I need to trade?

I already have a fed corvette so I don't really need it but free is free :pac:

Advertisement