Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    Thank you all so much for this advice! It all makes so much sense. I think it might be easier for me to start off at a slower pace for the shorter distances and work my way up bit by bit for the longer runs. Onwards and upwards! ðŸ˜

It's the single best piece of advice I've seen on the DCM Novices threads and also the most counter intuitive. Run slower to run faster. Weird isn't it. Haha. Good luck with the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Its great to see so many knowledgeable and experienced runners weighing in here with the same message which applies to ALL novices (apologies coogy if you feel we're ganging up on you :P). This really really can't be said enough but slow is the best way to get fast, you will reap the rewards if you stick with it, additionally you will massively increase your chances of reaching the start (and finish ;)) line of your first marathon (whoop whoop) injury free and ready for the challenge ahead.
    Redzer27 wrote: »
    Thanks Ariana I’ve done a few 10k I am going to follow the Hh program and have booked 3 more 10ks I’m booked for a 10 mile and a half so the intentions are all positive

Wow exciting times ahead! Not wanting to put a damper on your enthusiasm but races are a big effort and i wouldn't recommend doing too many close together - depending on how they fall you may be best to treat some of them as training runs?

My last note for today is for everyone - don't be afraid to start weighing in on each other's posts! The novices are the heart and soul of this group, the rest of us are just along for the ride (trying to relive a bit of our amazing time as novices :P). You are all runners, don't be afraid to advice each other or give each a slap on the back or a kick in the .... if you think it's required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

I am another one who is struggling with running slow. I just find that I have just one gear (slow!). However, my PMP will be around 10.10 meaning i should be running my lsr at 11.10? I tried this last week for my 10 mile lsr but by the end was running way too fast and finished up doing 10 miles @ 9.34. I am petrified of getting injured so I realise how important it is for me to slow down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am another one who is struggling with running slow. I just find that I have just one gear (slow!). However, my PMP will be around 10.10 meaning i should be running my lsr at 11.10? I tried this last week for my 10 mile lsr but by the end was running way too fast and finished up doing 10 miles @ 9.34. I am petrified of getting injured so I realise how important it is for me to slow down...

keep at it, you will master it and once you do you will enjoy it and reap the many benefits :) we all struggled when we first started last year. It was a common discussion in the early days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The injury thing is a secondary point. As Lazare explained earlier it's all about training the body to do what will be asked of it ie. To run for 3/4/5/6 hours. Training it to run for 1 or 2 hours at a fast pace won't help doing the full distance. In all sports training is specific to your target. Running is no different. 100 metre training is different to mile training, which is different to 5k etc. The marathon requires lots and lots and lots of slow stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ChippyRun

Lazare wrote: »
    Last year (and I'm sure every year) in the beginning of the thread and up to plans starting it was drummed into us the vital importance of easy running and slowing down.

It took a bit for it to sink in with me, and others.

It sounds counterproductive. It's far from it.

One reason is injury avoidance but the most important reason by far is the development of a strong aerobic engine.

The marathon is a hugely rewarding race, you will be swimming with endorphins for weeks afterwards, but it is a tough endurance event. You endure it by developing strong lungs that flood blood with oxygen and a strong heart muscle to efficiently pump that to your legs.

Running slow and easy (aerobic exercise) works this system and strengthens it. You slow things right down so you can withstand more time running and working it and minimal time recovering.

When you cross the threshold into anaerobic excersise you are no longer building that engine. That's fine for a weekly session, or if you were training for the mile. If you want to run 26.2 however you need to run slow and easy. Almost all of the time.

I followed the boards plan last year and from the time it started in late June until almost December other than strides and a handful of hill sprints I never once ran faster than marathon pace. Even that took up approx 10% of running. Everything else was slow and easy.

You've got to trust this.

If you think you're running slow enough, slow down.

Thanks for this great advice. Personally I am taking to the slow running like a duck to water.! Not that I was particularly fast in the first place. But having had a few injuries (Knee, shin splints) over the last couple of years I can already feel the benefits of slowing it right down. With the slower pace the training plan now seem more do-able, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

Going to bite the bullet and sign up for this too! Time is an issue for me as I’m self employed with a young family so apologies in advance if I don’t update much!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Have done two marathons in 2012 and 2013. PB is 4.05 but more recent race times are
    Raheny 5 mile 2018 37.24
    10 mile 2017 1.22
    10k 2017 47.28

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I run 3 days a week at the moment and strength train at lunchtime around 4 times a week. Longest run since last year is 12k but plan to increase that slowly.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Will aim for sub 4 but enjoying the day is a priority too.

How many days a week can you train?
    4-5 although 2 of those would need to be on a treadmill at lunchtime so time is limited.

And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Willing to be guided on this. Have done HH in the past.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury or a bad day on the day itself

Why are you running this marathon?
    I will be asking myself that question from now until the finish line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I slow my run down, then look at my pace and I'm back at 5/10k pace without realising.
    Just takes time to change the pace I suppose?
    Trying to be more conscious of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

If you are listening to music and having trouble slowing down maybe get rid of the music so you can concentrate on the slow pace.

Remember on Marathon day you will have to pace yourself so it’s good to learn from the outset how to set out and stick at certain paces. You will be running at a pace that feels slow and you will have to stick at that for a good while to conserve energy for the end. Be good to get used to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Rossi7

Hi guys, I'm planning on doing my LSR tonight and I was wondering having done all my training so far in k's would I be best to change over my garmin to miles now and get use to pacing myself in miles rather than k's
    Also skyblue46, what pace should I look to do my LSR tonight per k, sorry to ask you but I know you've seen my training on Strava. Looking to do 16k very slow

Kellygirl wrote: »
    If you are listening to music and having trouble slowing down maybe get rid of the music so you can concentrate on the slow pace.

No, never listen to music out running. Like to be fully aware of others and traffic.
    I think it's just I'm that used to 5 and 10k pace I have to break the routine is all.

Griff75 wrote: »
    Going to bite the bullet and sign up for this too! Time is an issue for me as I’m self employed with a young family so apologies in advance if I don’t update much!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Have done two marathons in 2012 and 2013. PB is 4.05 but more recent race times are
    Raheny 5 mile 2018 37.24
    10 mile 2017 1.22
    10k 2017 47.28

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I run 3 days a week at the moment and strength train at lunchtime around 4 times a week. Longest run since last year is 12k but plan to increase that slowly.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Will aim for sub 4 but enjoying the day is a priority too.

How many days a week can you train?
    4-5 although 2 of those would need to be on a treadmill at lunchtime so time is limited.

And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Willing to be guided on this. Have done HH in the past.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury or a bad day on the day itself

Why are you running this marathon?
    I will be asking myself that question from now until the finish line!

LOL at this :pac: FYI, I asked myself that on most of the long runs last year but actually on the day itself it didn't enter my head, it was such an amazing experience, and i sincerely hope it is the same for all of this year's novices :)

Griff i think you'll be well able for the Boards plan. It's a slight step up from HH and having done HH before and having 2 marathons behind you already i think it will suit you.

No, never listen to music out running. Like to be fully aware of others and traffic.
    I think it's just I'm that used to 5 and 10k pace I have to break the routine is all.
    Do you wear a running watch - can set the pace alerts so it reminds you when you're speeding up? It's annoying at first but soon you will be able to dial into the desired pace.

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm planning on doing my LSR tonight and I was wondering having done all my training so far in k's would I be best to change over my garmin to miles now and get use to pacing myself in miles rather than k's
    Also skyblue46, what pace should I look to do my LSR tonight per k, sorry to ask you but I know you've seen my training on Strava. Looking to do 16k very slow

Hi Rossi. I trained in KM last year and i still do. Personally, i would stick to what you're used to or it could get confusing for you? It's personal choice really. S should be along soon to advise you but the Boards plan was designed with the McMillan calculator for paces so if you plug one of your 2 recent race times into that it will give you training paces. Your felt your Terenure time was conservative right and that was 4:40 min/km, i'd say you should be doing easy runs in the region of 6:00 min/km.

ariana` wrote: »
    Do you wear a running watch - can set the pace alerts so it reminds you when you're speeding up? It's annoying at first but soon you will be able to dial into the desired pace.

I do but will have to read the manual to see does it do alerts. That's a great idea though, thanks

• Advertisement

Rossi7 wrote: »

Hiya doing. No problem asking at all that's what we're here for. Keep it in the range of 6:05 to 6:30 per km for now. That's the sort of pace that will help the endurance develop. I know it will feel slow but it's worth getting used to it now. It will feel like a shuffle to you but trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi folks,

I just wanted to ask a quick question in relation to midweek vs weekend runs and running pace.

Obviously, when the training schedule kicks in, the weekend runs will be longer and at a slower pace but am I right in thinking none of the scheduled runs (during midweek or at the weekend) should be at marathon pace?)

Just trying to get it all clear in my head so I'm mentally prepared!!!

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

coogy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to ask a quick question in relation to midweek vs weekend runs and running pace.

Obviously, when the training schedule kicks in, the weekend runs will be longer and at a slower pace but am I right in thinking none of the scheduled runs (during midweek or at the weekend) should be at marathon pace?)

Thanks all!

No easy/general aerobic runs generally will be a good bit slower. This should be based on fitness though rather than an arbitrary target. The lower the base you are coming from the lower your body will be at tolerating training without breaking down meaning the more you will get out of slow easy running.

To give you an example my own Marathon from my last marathon was 6.11 yet 5/7 days that I ran during the week were no faster than 7.30-8.30.

For those looking at picking the targets have a look at any races you have ran and plug them into McMillan or any calculator. Those aerobically weak will generally see a major drop off as the distances go up but if you get figures from all your races you can get a general ball park of what kinda target you should be aiming for and as you progress see if these start to line up a bit better as distances increase.

Fitness should dictate the target rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have to admit I still struggle to reconcile "run all your training at pace X" and "run the actual marathon at pace Y".

The HH1 for example, all the midweek runs are at easy pace and then the LSR slower again, so how can somebody train for months at easy pace and then expect to run faster than that in the actual event itself? How can you condition yourself and discipline yourself to run at a slow pace in every training run and then expect that to change at the very end?

I totally get that you need slow runs and that you shouldn't be busting yourself in every training run, but if you have a goal time then surely at some point you need to train yourself to run at that goal pace?

Hi folks,

Thanks all!

It depends on which plan you pick the Boards plan does have a midweek session's with Planned Marathon Pace worked into some weeks others have strides etc

Whereas Hal higdon is all easy paced runs and your Long slow runs at the weekend

So depending on which plan you pick you may practice your Marathon pace :)

I know Ariana has mentioned it before but here is the calculator for working out what your easy pace and LSR pace should be while you follow the training plan.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I have to admit I still struggle to reconcile "run all your training at pace X" and "run the actual marathon at pace Y".

The HH1 for example, all the midweek runs are at easy pace and then the LSR slower again, so how can somebody train for months at easy pace and then expect to run faster than that in the actual event itself? How can you condition yourself and discipline yourself to run at a slow pace in every training run and then expect that to change at the very end?

I totally get that you need slow runs and that you shouldn't be busting yourself in every training run, but if you have a goal time then surely at some point you need to train yourself to run at that goal pace?

The Hal Higdon training plan is designed around conditioning yourself to be able to cope with marathon. For anyone who is coming from little to no background before the training its a gradual introduction into distance running and is aiming to build aerobic fitness. This would be akin to a prolonged base phase.

If you are targeting a time etc then I would probably recommend a different plan with the caveat that you would need to have some sort of base going into training block.

The marathon is predominantly an aerobic event though so any form of aerobic development will help you along the way.

The HH1 plan is for novices those who have never trained or ran a marathon before or maybe have not run one in a few years. it is solely for getting you from the start line to finish line. While you enjoy the journey:)
    The race series that are worked into the plan will give you an idea of where you are and show what improvements you have made following the HH1, but as you have heard and will hear again and again: you run slow to run fast.
    As first timers, it is better to focus on building endurance and keeping it easy so your body can adapt and grow stronger if you throw in lots of speed work it can increase the risk of injuries it would be too much too soon.

As a novice, it is not really advisable to chase a time or have your heart set on one but to follow the plan and go out on the day and cross that finish line while you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Quick question(s), my race times are all predicting a faster time than my planned marathon time. I know I am keeping the marathon time slightly conservative, but seeing as the marathon is a monster and I just want to respect the distance! And being my first one I don't want to go for something unattainable....I've no idea how my body will cope with the extra mileage.

So the question is, should I base my paces off my most recent paces, or my target time?
    Also, any races I run during the plan, should I dial these back a bit and run to times more consistent with my target time (i.e. McMillan says my HM time would be 9mins slower than my actual HM time - 3:30 marathon says 1:39:47 HM, I did 1:30 last year).
    Finally, I don't think I'll actually be able to run a HM in the build-up due to holidays, weddings clashing etc. I am going to run the Kilcock 10 though, and maybe the Race Series 10k. Where the HM is built into a plan should I just keep the mileage similar to the previous and next weeks?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Done a 12km LSR today at 6:31/km. As someone mentioned, it feels embarrassingly slow, but I'll trust the method. I'll be doing a 3m easy tomorrow, should i run that at the same pace?

Another question. I've done up a modified training plan to suit my schedule, based loosely off a mix of the Boards plan and HHN2. Most weeks, I don't have the days available to complete all the runs, so say I drop a 3m easy, should i put an extra 1m onto the 3 other runs that week, keeping the total mileage for the week thgee same?

Quick question(s), my race times are all predicting a faster time than my planned marathon time. I know I am keeping the marathon time slightly conservative, but seeing as the marathon is a monster and I just want to respect the distance! And being my first one I don't want to go for something unattainable....I've no idea how my body will cope with the extra mileage.

So the question is, should I base my paces off my most recent paces, or my target time?
    Also, any races I run during the plan, should I dial these back a bit and run to times more consistent with my target time (i.e. McMillan says my HM time would be 9mins slower than my actual HM time - 3:30 marathon says 1:39:47 HM, I did 1:30 last year).
    Finally, I don't think I'll actually be able to run a HM in the build-up due to holidays, weddings clashing etc. I am going to run the Kilcock 10 though, and maybe the Race Series 10k. Where the HM is built into a plan should I just keep the mileage similar to the previous and next weeks?

Thanks

Race time predictors generally include a caveat which paraphrased says that it assumes equal preparedness and training. They in my eyes are more an indicator of a capacity to do the times. The training levels required to hit the marathon target times based on short races are way beyond that of a novices thread. It takes a lot of time and miles to do, not a few months.

If you're not doing a race at any point during the plan just continue with a similar week to the one before.

Training paces should always be done to current fitness levels and times. Hopefully as training goes on you will need to revisit them. This is the pace calculator I use. http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

ariana` wrote: »
    LOL at this :pac: FYI, I asked myself that on most of the long runs last year but actually on the day itself it didn't enter my head, it was such an amazing experience, and i sincerely hope it is the same for all of this year's novices :)

Griff i think you'll be well able for the Boards plan. It's a slight step up from HH and having done HH before and having 2 marathons behind you already i think it will suit you.

Thanks for the advice ariana! I will follow the Boards plan although I’ll be moving things around a little as Sunday is likely to be my LSR day. Also does anyone have any thoughts on continuing some strength training? I’m aware that I’ll need to dial it down especially for legs recovery but I wouldn’t like to give it up altogether. My plan was to switch it to maybe 2 lunchtimes a week and go more lower weights higher reps than my present training which would be perhaps 4 lunchtimes but is generally high weights low reps based.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Done a 12km LSR today at 6:31/km. As someone mentioned, it feels embarrassingly slow, but I'll trust the method. I'll be doing a 3m easy tomorrow, should i run that at the same pace?

Another question. I've done up a modified training plan to suit my schedule, based loosely off a mix of the Boards plan and HHN2. Most weeks, I don't have the days available to complete all the runs, so say I drop a 3m easy, should i put an extra 1m onto the 3 other runs that week, keeping the total mileage for the week thgee same?

You could probably do that at a 6:12-6:15 pace without compromising the plan.

The general rule is never to chase lost miles. Thinking about it you'd be asking your body to do more with less preparation than intended. That cycle never ends well.

Is it a lack of time or tiredness after shift work that limits the days you have available?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You could probably do that at a 6:12-6:15 pace without compromising the plan.

The general rule is never to chase lost miles. Thinking about it you'd be asking your body to do more with less preparation than intended. That cycle never ends well.

Is it a lack of time or tiredness after shift work that limits the days you have available?

It's a bit of both, mainly lack of time, but tiredness would be a factor too. My thought was in a week where the plan calls for say:
    4m easy
    9m tempo
    4m easy
    18m lsr
    3m rec

I'd drop one of the 4m easy and do:
    10m tempo
    5m easy
    19m lsr
    4m rec

If I have to drop a short easy run every week, thats a lot of miles over the course of 18 weeks.

Thanks for the replies baby75 and skyblue46. I going to head out shortly so I will make a point of slowing down. I am however considering changing from my plan of doing the HH Novice 1 plan to do the Boards plan instead in order to have one faster run midweek.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's a bit of both, mainly lack of time, but tiredness would be a factor too. My thought was in a week where the plan calls for say:
    4m easy
    9m tempo
    4m easy
    18m lsr
    3m rec

I'd drop one of the 4m easy and do:
    10m tempo
    5m easy
    19m lsr
    4m rec

If I have to drop a short easy run every week, thats a lot of miles over the course of 18 weeks.

Ok I see where you are coming from. A few points....what plan has 9 and 10 mile tempo runs? That wouldn't be a wise move on a novice plan.

If you are up to the stage of doing 18 and 19 mile long runs then a mile added here or there to other runs would be fine. Last year I used the Boards plan as a very good guideline and kept the marathon pace runs at the distances suggested. I did add a mile or two to the easy days and LSRs on occasion.

As regards tiredness after shifts I find that if you can make yourself get out that the adrenaline and endorphins quickly get rid of tiredness early in the run and it's a great pick me up.

• Advertisement

Ok I see where you are coming from. A few points....what plan has 9 and 10 mile tempo runs? That wouldn't be a wise move on a novice plan.

If you are up to the stage of doing 18 and 19 mile long runs then a mile added here or there to other runs would be fine. Last year I used the Boards plan as a very good guideline and kept the marathon pace runs at the distances suggested. I did add a mile or two to the easy days and LSRs on occasion.

As regards tiredness after shifts I find that if you can make yourself get out that the adrenaline and endorphins quickly get rid of tiredness early in the run and it's a great pick me up.

Thanks. The boards plan has a 9m marathon pace run in it, Wednesday of Wk 12. I'd been referring to the Wednesday marathon pace run as tempo runs, but maybe I've misunderstood something.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to force myself into the odd short easy run on shift days.

Ah yes. A tempo run would be significantly faster than marathon pace, something similar to a 10k or 10 mile race pace for many.

It'll be worth it if you get out. I got out this past week after a few 4am to midday shifts and a 7pm to 7am shift. I grabbed an hour or two of rest and then went for the run. I find it really invigorates me. Try it and see anyway.

Training paces should always be done to current fitness levels and times. Hopefully as training goes on you will need to revisit them. This is the pace calculator I use. http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

I get this when you are striving for a faster time etc, but my training paces based on current racing times would be faster than the training paces for my target time. This is why I was wondering which to base my training on.

I get this when you are striving for a faster time etc, but my training paces based on current racing times would be faster than the training paces for my target time. This is why I was wondering which to base my training on.

You still train to current times. A target time is notional, your race times are real and are indicative of what you could achieve in a full but probably over a few training blocks, not a first one. Very few people will achieve the marathon predictions for marathon. My predicted time is 3:08. Not a chance I will do that. Haha.

Best advice is to train now and worry about targets in October depending on how training goes.

What are your training paces at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Ok. Iv been lurking for a while but here goes.
    36 YR old Male ,6ft, 85kg (so not built for it :) )

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    2009 DCM - 4hr50 (injury hit me)
    Currently do a 10km in 46m training so maybe 44 in a race.
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No breaks yet currently at about 12km

How much training do you currently do ? 3-4 days a week.

Distances, how many days a week, cross training - fairly fit for age. Do lunch time runs 3mil / 5mil 3 mil then a longer weekend one 7/8miles

What do you want to achieve? Sub 4

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 4 days max following a plan on myasis.com it’s similar to the first one you mentioned.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Injury.
    Why are you running this marathon? Never really accepted the previous marathon as an achievement

AdrianII wrote: »
    Ok. Iv been lurking for a while but here goes.
    36 YR old Male

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    2009 DCM - 4hr50 (injury hit me)
    Currently do a 10km in 46m training so maybe 44 in a race.
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No breaks yet currently at about 12km

How much training do you currently do ? 3-4 days a week.

Distances, how many days a week, cross training - fairly fit for age. Do lunch time runs 3mil / 5mil 3 mil then a longer weekend one 7/8miles

What do you want to achieve? Sub 4

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 4 days max following a plan on myasis.com it’s similar to the first one you mentioned.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Injury.
    Why are you running this marathon? Never really accepted the previous marathon as an achievement

Welcome to the thread Adrian. Another non novice novice joining the party! Some great potential there alright. As has been said to quite a few already your training paces will need looking at. What paces are you training at? 46 minutes for a 10k run is too fast for marathon training for sure. It'll also reduce the risk of injury if you slow down.

You still train to current times. A target time is notional, your race times are real and are indicative of what you could achieve in a full but probably over a few training blocks, not a first one. Very few people will achieve the marathon predictions for marathon. My predicted time is 3:08. Not a chance I will do that. Haha.

Best advice is to train now and worry about targets in October depending on how training goes.

What are your training paces at the moment?
    Thanks for the replies, appreciate them.

Ok, grand, didn't want to be going too fast. Longer runs would be about 5:15 pace (Sorry I work in kms, some say that shows me not to be a marathoner, ha!), easy runs about 5:00 to 5:05, do my interval training around 3:45, tempo about 4:20.

Know I'll have to slow my long run pace down anyway.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate them.

Ok, grand, didn't want to be going too fast. Longer runs would be about 5:15 pace (Sorry I work in kms, some say that shows me not to be a marathoner, ha!), easy runs about 5:00 to 5:05, do my interval training around 3:45, tempo about 4:20.

Know I'll have to slow my long run pace down anyway.

I'm hoping to run 3:30 this year and my easy runs are 5:40. Intervals depend on distance and time. I'd have to check tempo in kms but it's 7:04 per mile

Thanks for the replies baby75 and skyblue46. I going to head out shortly so I will make a point of slowing down. I am however considering changing from my plan of doing the HH Novice 1 plan to do the Boards plan instead in order to have one faster run midweek.

enjoy the run and running slower :) That is great you have your plan picked now get it on a paper to stick on the fridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I've just come back from a nice 5 mile run and I think things are finally starting to click.
    Average pace was 8.36. I totally get it now!!
    Hopefully I can sustain that sort of pace over the coming months!

I've just come back from a nice 5 mile run and I think things are finally starting to click.

Nearly there! Another 30 seconds and you're laughing! Haha

Baby75 wrote: »
    enjoy the run and running slower :) That is great you have your plan picked now get it on a paper to stick on the fridge

I think you misunderstood me!!

Did 10km this evening, reducing my time by approx 40 secs/km on average. This only brings me to my PMP but atleast it is the right direction.

I think you misunderstood me!!

Did 10km this evening, reducing my time by approx 40 secs/km on average. This only brings me to my PMP but atleast it is the right direction.

When might you get a chance to run a race? Yeah that pace still needs to slow up but it'll help you and us if we know by how much. That's a decent run at this time of the year, still weeks before the plans start.

When might you get a chance to run a race? Yeah that pace still needs to slow up but it'll help you and us if we know by how much. That's a decent run at this time of the year, still weeks before the plans start.

Did dublin night run a few weeks ago 10k in 56 mins. Hoping to do a half in 3 weeks time. I ran 16k last week comfortably in 96mins if that helps in anyway, albeit that it wasnt a race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff. Just a little bit slower and you'll have me smiling ;)

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread Adrian. Another non novice novice joining the party! Some great potential there alright. As has been said to quite a few already your training paces will need looking at. What paces are you training at? 46 minutes for a 10k run is too fast for marathon training for sure. It'll also reduce the risk of injury if you slow down.

Thanks.
    Yeah. Hard to get round the fact I need to slow down even though I want a sub 4 time.

Yeah the training app has me running miles at 8.03 - 8.56 in a build up mode, 9-9.50 in a comfortable run and 10:42 for a jog. Which seems very slow.

Attached is some of my last runs. I think I Definitely need to slow down but don’t know if I can

Thanks for the tips and advise. Hope I can contribute more to this thread as the weeks go by

Runs attached

Wow, a lot of talk on training paces in the last 24 hours, it's great to see this place a hive of activity :)

The Boards plan was designed with the McMillan Calculator. This calculator is highly recognised and should suit any plan that doesn't come with a specific calculator recommended. So if you haven't already done it then get yourself over there and plug in a recent race time. The more recent and the longer the race the better (but if all you have is a 5k that is fine too). You will get your training paces off that. At the beginning you should try to stick to these paces, if you have a running watch set it up to give you an alert when you go too fast.

It's already been noted but you train to your current fitness level and not you aspired fitness level, so the training paces should be based on what you can run today, not what you hope to be able run come next October, you will all be fitter and stronger by then and that is one of the reasons why we suggest doing 1-2 races along the journey so you can potentially adjust your training paces at a later stage.

The reason we emphasis going slow is to build the aerobic engine for the endurance event ahead. Aerobic training produces muscular adaptations that improve oxygen transport to the muscles, reduces the rate of lactate formation, improves the rate of lactate removal and increases energy production and utilization. When you run slowly for prolonged periods, the body learns to break down and utilize fat as an energy source more efficiently. The more fat and less muscle glycogen you utilize, the more efficient you are and the better you will manage longer distances. As an additional benefit running slow will lessen your injury risk which is something i know quite a few of you have mentioned as a concern so if you're in any doubt it's a win-win ;)

It's been kindly brought to my attention that when using the McMillan Calculator on a Phone/IPad you need to be in Landscape view to see the button for 'Training Paces' :)

AdrianII wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Yeah. Hard to get round the fact I need to slow down even though I want a sub 4 time.

Yeah the training app has me running miles at 8.03 - 8.56 in a build up mode, 9-9.50 in a comfortable run and 10:42 for a jog. Which seems very slow.

Attached is some of my last runs. I think I Definitely need to slow down but don’t know if I can

Thanks for the tips and advise. Hope I can contribute more to this thread as the weeks go by

Well as I'm sure you know that list of runs, while impressively fast, wouldn't offer much in terms of the type of training you need for a marathon. There are a lot of posts already explaining why slow running is a major component in marathon training both in laymans terms and with scientific explanations. Hopefully you will soon move from thinking you definitely need to slow down to actually slowing down! :D

As regards not knowing if you can slow down....you could stop mid run at a traffic lights, you could slow to a jog if you were approaching a closed railway crossing so surely you can just do it because it's the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement