Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

sann wrote: »
    I think i will go with the boards plan as i think it will make me feel a bit more accountable being so involved here.
    Going to sit down tonight and have a look at them and see what would suit best.
    Any recommendations based on my current stats?

Biggest recommendation is what Amirani said, train smart. I only really started running with any level of consistency this time last year. My times wouldn't have been within an asses roar of where you are now. The boards plan is a really good plan and as you say sharing the experience with others is a great motivation. In your case you'll probably be able to supplement the plan with some extra easy miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lmulcaire wrote: »
    Hi, I have just joined up today, Dublin will be my first marathon
    Have you raced before? Yes 
    If so what are your PBs? Tralee HM time just under 2 hours, 1:59. I have done 2 other half marathons, also some 5km, 10km and 10 milers. 10km PB is around 56 mins at the moment. 
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? the odd time on the longer runs but not always. 
    How much training do you currently do ? Current training plan, if I can stick to it, are 4 runs a week with a long run and a tempo run thrown in. I would also do a spin and a kettlebells class during the week. 
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I am just looking to get myself across the finish line :)
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I have had a look at training plans on line and used that to create my own training plan. I would have 5 days a week with either a run or a gym class.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? hitting the wall! 
    Why are you running this marathon? for fun 

Welcome, delighted to have you along :) You sound like you have a great base already. 4 runs and 2 gym classes a week is great going. Would you consider switching one of those classes to a Pilates class if your gym runs them? It would be great for strength and ultimately injury prevention. It sounds like your runs are already the perfect mix for marathon training - have you had a chance to look at the plans? I think you would be able for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I've been waiting patiently for this thread to open. Delighted to have you as our mentor ariana. Looking forward to your guidance and support as I attempt my first marathon.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5km - 28.05 Great Ireland Run April 2017.
    10km - 60.33 Gingerbread Run November 2017.
    5 mile - 50 minutes - Raheny. January 2018 - Only one I have done.
    Half - 2.44. Rock & Roll August 2017 - Only one to date.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

From this week I will be running four days a week, 2 X 5k, 1x 8k and a LSR of 10k plus. Will increase gradually to 20 miles per week before the plan starts.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I just want to say "I did it". I am a slow runner so would hope to finish in under 6 hours.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I will run four times a week, cross train on a Sunday. I will follow the Hal Higdon plan.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

That I will fail to make the starting line due to injury. No reason to think this if I follow the plan correctly and do strength and conditioning exercises.

Why are you running this marathon?

I turned 50 in February so decided this was the year to do something big just for me! I have more free time now that the kids are no longer kids so I want to use this time productively :)

Looking forward to interacting with all the other novices this year.

Thanks for taking us under your wing ariana and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Might as well give this a go so.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k: 18:47 (about 3 years ago)
    10k: 39:42 (Nov 2017)
    HM: 1:29:59 (Mar 2017)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    About 55k a week on a good week (including a long run of about 22km) and two other easy runs of about 10-12k and an interval session.
    Also do a pilates class every week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Main aim is to get to the start line uninjured! After that the ideal finish would be 3:29:59

Probably 5 days. I have been looking at the meno plan for the past while and like the flexibility it gives, plus I like look of the midweek MP sessions. Has anyone any advice on using this as a first timer?

Getting injured in the build up. I am hoping I will be able for the increase in mileage as it builds up, but there are always niggles and fear these will increase as the plan goes on.

Love running, love the me time it gives me on the solo runs, and enjoy going for a run with others to catch up. Used to say I will never run a marathon due to the time commitment, but kids are a bit older now and have decided I would like to have that box ticked, and am not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

sann wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.
    Was waiting for this thread to start with huge anticipation.

Had a few niggles with the soleos muscle and a few blisters the last few weeks but all seems good now.
    Cant wait to get started on the plan.

Hi Sann you are in great hands here so do stick around :D on your soleus muscle
    have you got a little ball if not might be worth getting one and use it to roll your feet over it losen everything up and also work on loosening your calf muscles with a foam roller or you can use a narrow roller even a broom handle and work them hold on any sore spots till they ease and that should help you out better to get in the habit of that now it will help you no end when your increasing your mileage:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I can't believe it's already this time of year. Sooooooooo exciting. Best of luck to everyone following the Boards plan and this thread, ye are in super good hands with Ariana and best of luck ariana. Roll on DCM2018

gypsylee wrote: »
    I've been waiting patiently for this thread to open. Delighted to have you as our mentor ariana. Looking forward to your guidance and support as I attempt my first marathon.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5km - 28.05 Great Ireland Run April 2017.
    10km - 60.33 Gingerbread Run November 2017.
    5 mile - 50 minutes - Raheny. January 2018 - Only one I have done.
    Half - 2.44. Rock & Roll August 2017 - Only one to date.

No.

From this week I will be running four days a week, 2 X 5k, 1x 8k and a LSR of 10k plus. Will increase gradually to 20 miles per week before the plan starts.

I just want to say "I did it". I am a slow runner so would hope to finish in under 6 hours.

I will run four times a week, cross train on a Sunday. I will follow the Hal Higdon plan.

That I will fail to make the starting line due to injury. No reason to think this if I follow the plan correctly and do strength and conditioning exercises.

I turned 50 in February so decided this was the year to do something big just for me! I have more free time now that the kids are no longer kids so I want to use this time productively :)

Looking forward to interacting with all the other novices this year.

Thanks for taking us under your wing ariana and everyone else.

Welcome gypsylee :) Your plans to build up to 20mpw sound perfect and i love your intention to commit to strength & conditioning. If you could find a class for that it would help a lot, but of course doing it yourself at home will be great too, it just might get more difficult to motivate yourself as the weeks go on the mileage gets higher and some fatigue sets in. Best of luck over the coming few weeks with base building, keep us updated.
    Might as well give this a go so.

5k: 18:47 (about 3 years ago)
    10k: 39:42 (Nov 2017)
    HM: 1:29:59 (Mar 2017)

No

About 55k a week on a good week (including a long run of about 22km) and two other easy runs of about 10-12k and an interval session.
    Also do a pilates class every week

Main aim is to get to the start line uninjured! After that the ideal finish would be 3:29:59

Probably 5 days. I have been looking at the meno plan for the past while and like the flexibility it gives, plus I like look of the midweek MP sessions. Has anyone any advice on using this as a first timer?

Getting injured in the build up. I am hoping I will be able for the increase in mileage as it builds up, but there are always niggles and fear these will increase as the plan goes on.

Love running, love the me time it gives me on the solo runs, and enjoy going for a run with others to catch up. Used to say I will never run a marathon due to the time commitment, but kids are a bit older now and have decided I would like to have that box ticked, and am not getting any younger.

Hi cullenswood, wow another speedy with a great base ;) Your ideal finish time sounds achievable based on your HM time but it's great to be taking a relaxed approach at this stage. The pilates class will be a big bonus on the injury front, along with a sensible approach to training and pacing your runs, so don't worry. I'm sure someone will come along with advice on the meno plan ;)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi Sann you are in great hands here so do stick around :D on your soleus muscle
    have you got a little ball if not might be worth getting one and use it to roll your feet over it losen everything up and also work on loosening your calf muscles with a foam roller or you can use a narrow roller even a broom handle and work them hold on any sore spots till they ease and that should help you out better to get in the habit of that now it will help you no end when your increasing your mileage:)

This is great advice and is appropriate for everyone. If you haven't got a foam roller then now is a good time to invest in one, if you can't stretch to it then a rolling pin (yes the type you use for making an apple pie :D) is almost as good! A tennis ball and/or a golf ball may also be handy. There are plenty of you tube videos to help with foam rolling the calves, hamstrings, glutes, quads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Welcome Sann, Lmulcaire, Cullenswood and Gypsylee. You all sound in great shape to start the DCM training. You are in for a fun 6 months - or just under at this stage!!

Definitely recommend the foam roller for the calves and a tennis ball for the glutes.

Enjoy building up the mileage and getting ready for the plan to start. Consistency is key and taking rest days too to allow your body to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Hi all,

Like others have said here, I've been looking forward to this thread now for the last few weeks, to be honest, I kept checking in the last 48 for it so the timing was great..

I am very aware that at this moment in time I've a lot of work to do based on my recent weekly efforts but I'm committed and will put every effort into this.

Bit of a quick explanation.. last year I did the couch to 5k, then around July or August I done a 15k jog in 1hr 39 minutes just to see what I was capable of, not great but my point is, that's the longest jog I've done so far.

Around September / October when the winter nights came in, on my first night run I fell flat on my face which kinda gave me a fear of running in the dark (fear of getting injured), so I joined the Gym.. I must be allergic to Gyms though because after I joined the gym my activity just went down.. I was regularly running in the gym until Christmas, that's when everything stopped.

So.. since then my running has been very inconsistent but I am currently prepping with the Hal Higdon Novice Supreme, which builds up to the Novice 1 plan.

Ehm, about 5 years ago.. I don't remember my PB's and not sure how to check them on Strava.. sure at this rate it doesn't really matter.

No

At the moment I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme plan, currently on Week 5 which has 10 miles for this week.

Honestly, I would just like to run/jog/walk if I must, the Marathon from start to finish..

Committing to the Novice 1 plan, so 4/5.

Probably either getting injured or my weight.. I'm currently 15st 2 ish / 96.2kg .. I think my height is 175cm.. jesus better double check as I'm not confident of my height lol

Not the fittest at the moment but when I am fit I do enjoy running but also I want to just get fit again, lose some weight and get a marathon off of my bucket list... done some runs in the past and the thrill from 5k or 10k runs alone are brilliant.

Anyways.. that's my story.. I think I will start doing a Training log here.. is now a good time or wait it out?

• Advertisement

sumsar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Like others have said here, I've been looking forward to this thread now for the last few weeks, to be honest, I kept checking in the last 48 for it so the timing was great..

I am very aware that at this moment in time I've a lot of work to do based on my recent weekly efforts but I'm committed and will put every effort into this.

Bit of a quick explanation.. last year I did the couch to 5k, then around July or August I done a 15k jog in 1hr 39 minutes just to see what I was capable of, not great but my point is, that's the longest jog I've done so far.

Around September / October when the winter nights came in, on my first night run I fell flat on my face which kinda gave me a fear of running in the dark (fear of getting injured), so I joined the Gym.. I must be allergic to Gyms though because after I joined the gym my activity just went down.. I was regularly running in the gym until Christmas, that's when everything stopped.

So.. since then my running has been very inconsistent but I am currently prepping with the Hal Higdon Novice Supreme, which builds up to the Novice 1 plan.

Ehm, about 5 years ago.. I don't remember my PB's and not sure how to check them on Strava.. sure at this rate it doesn't really matter.

No

At the moment I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme plan, currently on Week 5 which has 10 miles for this week.

Honestly, I would just like to run/jog/walk if I must, the Marathon from start to finish..

Committing to the Novice 1 plan, so 4/5.

Probably either getting injured or my weight.. I'm currently 15st 2 ish / 96.2kg .. I think my height is 175cm.. jesus better double check as I'm not confident of my height lol

Not the fittest at the moment but when I am fit I do enjoy running but also I want to just get fit again, lose some weight and get a marathon off of my bucket list... done some runs in the past and the thrill from 5k or 10k runs alone are brilliant.

Anyways.. that's my story.. I think I will start doing a Training log here.. is now a good time or wait it out?

Hi sumsar and welcome to the novice thread. I hadn't heard of the HH Novice Supreme Plan, so thanks for that. It might be useful guide for other novices to use the first 12 weeks to build a base for DCM training, anyone who is currently on 10mpw could jump into week 5 and do weeks 5-12 before following our HH Plan.

Now is as good a time as any to start a log. You will get additional support while training for DCM.

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi sumsar and welcome to the novice thread. I hadn't heard of the HH Novice Supreme Plan, so thanks for that. It might be useful guide for other novices to use the first 12 weeks to build a base for DCM training, anyone who is currently on 10mpw could jump into week 5 and do weeks 5-12 before following our HH Plan.

Now is as good a time as any to start a log. You will get additional support while training for DCM.

I wasn't confident as to whether or not I could post the link so I appreciate you doing that.

Brilliant.. I'll get on that this week so, I'll be following this thread and I would like to stay active on this thread too so I'll see you all around :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I was part of last years novice group and found the novice thread and all the help, guidance and encouragement invaluable. Best of luck to all of this years novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nice to see the new thread up and running, have advised a few friends who are running for DCM first time this year to get on board(s) with this as you can't go wrong with it!
    Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A great choice for mentor and co-mentor! Congrats to you both.

I'll hopefully dip in and out of this thread adding my tuppence worth - this year I might even take my own advice and slow down on the 1st few miles!!

Apart from the advice you get - its a way to keep track of your training and more importantly, as you get more and more immersed into Marathon training and your loved ones at home or pals in work are sick of you talking about it, you can offload here!!

Socially its great to meet up too at races or just the odd run - it all adds to the experience.

Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

Hi Ariana

Thanks for taking us on, I had a feeling yourself and Kelly Girl might be involved in this years Novices after following last years thread. This will be my first marathon so looking forward to it

5k: 21.48 Mar '18
    10k: 50.07 Apr '18
    5m : 41.11 Jan '18
    I'll be doing the Tallaght 5k and Terenure 5 miler in the coming weeks,so hopefully duck under 21 and 40

No

4 days a week including one long (16k at the min) 1 S&C class

To get the job done, if I get under 4 hours that would be a bonus

As many as I need to do, I will be following the boards plan as you have gone to the trouble of doing one and has served people well over the years

None

My dad was a 2.3x and my brother is a 2.4x so hopefully I bought the same genes in the shop they got theres, so need to reclaim the bragging rights at the kitchen table

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Well done on stepping up to tackle the group Ariana, I loved the chats last year. For everyone that's new, you're in very safe hands. A million thanks for last year Wubble Wubble. Unfortunately just wasn't meant to be for me, getting shin splints (and whisker away from stress fracture) 6 weeks out. Took 6 weeks to recover

Not 100% still but working on getting back to fitness (MUCH slower pace than last year), back earlier and this time I'm doing my stretching!

5k: 27:20 Jun '17
    10k: 1:00:41 Aug '17
    22k : 2:13:18 Aug '17
    I'll be doing the Clontarf 1/2. But if legs hold up well in training coming up to it I'll sign up to the full

No

3 days running. 1 day on the bike. Also 1-2 days stretching and core

Same as last year:
    1) Get to start line
    2) Get to finish line
    3) Sub 6 hour

I tried doing the HH and Boards but a hybrid of the 2.

Shin splints

Always wanted to do it

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Hi Ariana

Thanks for taking us on, I had a feeling yourself and Kelly Girl might be involved in this years Novices after following last years thread. This will be my first marathon so looking forward to it

5k: 21.48 Mar '18
    10k: 50.07 Apr '18
    5m : 41.11 Jan '18
    I'll be doing the Tallaght 5k and Terenure 5 miler in the coming weeks,so hopefully duck under 21 and 40

No

4 days a week including one long (16k at the min) 1 S&C class

To get the job done, if I get under 4 hours that would be a bonus

As many as I need to do, I will be following the boards plan as you have gone to the trouble of doing one and has served people well over the years

None

My dad was a 2.3x and my brother is a 2.4x so hopefully I bought the same genes in the shop they got theres, so need to reclaim the bragging rights at the kitchen table

Rossi they are good numbers you have there to indicate a Sub 4 is more than achievable. It'll be interesting to see how you go in Tallaght and Terenure to get a good picture of where you're at right now. The 5k time indicates lots of improvement is likely on your 5 mile and 10k times. Enjoy the races and even more so this thread! :)

A great choice for mentor and co-mentor! Congrats to you both.

I'll hopefully dip in and out of this thread adding my tuppence worth - this year I might even take my own advice and slow down on the 1st few miles!!

Apart from the advice you get - its a way to keep track of your training and more importantly, as you get more and more immersed into Marathon training and your loved ones at home or pals in work are sick of you talking about it, you can offload here!!

Socially its great to meet up too at races or just the odd run - it all adds to the experience.

Best of luck all.

If we can come any way close to matching the contributions you made last year we will be more than happy. Looking forward to your contributions this year too.
    Have a good one tomorrow night (assuming you're doing the BHAA 5k?) :)

Welcome Sumsar, Rossi and Brownbinman.

Sumsar, sounds like you have a good plan in place to get up to speed and definitely start a log now. Will be nice to look back on your journey from the start.

Rossi, you have a good base already if you are doing 16kms once a week and all going well you’ll be doing serious bragging at the kitchen table.

BBM - good to see you back. I really hope those shin splints are long behind you now and you have an injury free journey this year.

• Advertisement

Well done on stepping up to tackle the group Ariana, I loved the chats last year. For everyone that's new, you're in very safe hands. A million thanks for last year Wubble Wubble. Unfortunately just wasn't meant to be for me, getting shin splints (and whisker away from stress fracture) 6 weeks out. Took 6 weeks to recover

Not 100% still but working on getting back to fitness (MUCH slower pace than last year), back earlier and this time I'm doing my stretching!

Glad you got my memo! Yes I've seen on Strava that you were getting back into it. You're going about it the right and sensible way. Remember that getting as much running on the grass as possible will reduce the risks of shin splits and is generally easier on the legs.

skyblue46 wrote: »

Glad you got my memo! Yes I've seen on Strava that you were getting back into it. You're going about it the right and sensible way. Remember that getting as much running on the grass as possible will reduce the risks of shin splits and is generally easier on the legs.

Speaking of Strava.. I see a club there for last year's novice group.. will someone be setting up one for this year's or is there a club worth joining?

Speaking of Strava.. I see a club there for last year's novice group.. will someone be setting up one for this year's or is there a club worth joining?

Yes, I think that’s a great idea. It was brilliant last year and still is excellent following people on Strava. Ariana, do you want to do it or will I have a look at it later? Never set a club up before!

How amazing it is to check in here every few hours and see the group growing!

Rossi7 those are some great times you have against your name, not to mention the good genes, the future is bright for you, welcome on board.

Brownbinman delighted to see you back here, yay :) I think one of the key contributors to shin splits is building up the mileage too quickly so let's be very careful in that regard ok. If you want to post more specifics of current mileage and plans for the next few weeks of the base building phase up then please do. Also, i think it may be a better idea to pick one of the plans and stick with it, it's important to trust the plan you choose. Again, by all means share the reasons you're thinking a hybrid might suit you better and maybe we could advise you towards one or the other? It sounds like you're in a good place right now with a mix of running, cross training and the core work, i have no fears that with consistent, sensible training you can achieve your goal :)

AMK please don't be a stranger :)

Great idea sumsar.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Yes, I think that’s a great idea. It was brilliant last year and still is excellent following people on Strava. Ariana, do you want to do it or will I have a look at it later? Never set a club up before!

Work ahead KG, thanks!

ariana` wrote: »
    Great idea sumsar.

Work ahead KG, thanks!

“Ariana’s Athletes” coming up! :D:D

Kellygirl wrote: »
    “Ariana’s Athletes” coming up! :D:D

Just one point for any novices to note on this one. There will be lots of experienced and faster runners who will most likely join this group. Don't be intimidated by their distances or speeds. I nearly lost my bottle when I compared myself to them. Stick to your plan and your paces, nobody is judging. As you get to know your fellow novices it is really interesting to see what training they are doing and where they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just one point for any novices to note on this one. There will be lots of experienced and faster runners who will most likely join this group. Don't be intimidated by their distances or speeds. I nearly lost my bottle when I compared myself to them. Stick to your plan and your paces, nobody is judging. As you get to know your fellow novices it is really interesting to see what training they are doing and where they do it.

Thanks for posting this. I will be one of the slower runners on this thread so I will try not to compare myself to anyone else. Once I make it over the start line and the finish line I will be very happy.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I will be one of the slower runners on this thread so I will try not to compare myself to anyone else. Once I make it over the start line and the finish line I will be very happy.

The support you will get will make your ambition easier. Everyone pulls for each other. There is honestly nothing to worry about. It's a massive achievement to complete a marathon irrespective of pace. Enjoy the experience!

• Advertisement

Strava club is set up - it should be searchable. It’s called DCM Novices 2018 - Boards.ie

https://www.strava.com/clubs/DCM2018Novices

Advertisement