Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Because he knew Canelo has form for it ,

Canelo wanted the bigger ring against GGG and now its him who wants the smaller one ?

As much as we all dislike BJS he is correct to stand his ground ,

Remember it's Canelo making the changes ,

Would never want to stand up for BJS, detest the man. But I agree with you here.

We have seen it with the Klitschkos, Mayweather and now Canelo. Always looking for an edge. And they were all good enough to win if all things were equal.

So to see them/their reps looking to make marginal gains on little things like ring size is pretty small time on their own part.

If I was Saunders, I wouldn't consider myself to be a whinger if I was making statements that I hope I get a fair shake against Canelo in Texas ffs. For what its worth, i'd say Saunders is arrogant enough to think he will win if all things are fair, and no doubt would not comprehend there is someone better than him such is his (misguided) view of himself. He's clearly wrong, but there you have it.

These prize fighters on the a-side want an opponent who will take whatever is given to them with an air of "you should be thankful you were chosen as my opponent so shut your mouth", and thats the sport we love unfortunately.

Canelo wins this fight everyday of the week, so hearing that he wants a smaller ring etc... makes him look foolish more than Saunders.

Saunders is up against it anyway, i'd be making a racket if the clear favourite was moving the goalposts to suit himself even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Am I the only one that thinks a 20 foot ring is more than fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I just don't see how a 20ft ring is Canelo looking for an advantage? 20-18ft is standard so 20ft is actually bigger than it could've been. I'm not aware of any recent non-heavyweight fight that's taken place in a 24ft ring. Why should Canelo be expected to grant Saunders such an abnormally big ring? Saunders needs to know his place as the B-side here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Would never want to stand up for BJS, detest the man. But I agree with you here.

We have seen it with the Klitschkos, Mayweather and now Canelo. Always looking for an edge. And they were all good enough to win if all things were equal.

So to see them/their reps looking to make marginal gains on little things like ring size is pretty small time on their own part.

If I was Saunders, I wouldn't consider myself to be a whinger if I was making statements that I hope I get a fair shake against Canelo in Texas ffs. For what its worth, i'd say Saunders is arrogant enough to think he will win if all things are fair, and no doubt would not comprehend there is someone better than him such is his (misguided) view of himself. He's clearly wrong, but there you have it.

These prize fighters on the a-side want an opponent who will take whatever is given to them with an air of "you should be thankful you were chosen as my opponent so shut your mouth", and thats the sport we love unfortunately.

Canelo wins this fight everyday of the week, so hearing that he wants a smaller ring etc... makes him look foolish more than Saunders.

Saunders is up against it anyway, i'd be making a racket if the clear favourite was moving the goalposts to suit himself even further.

This is just it

People believing the Saunders nonsense...

The fight is on...

The chap is just making up excuses in preparation for his loss..

He’s feeding these pathetic excuses to the public and some folks are believing the bull..

And even if what he is claiming is true, so what?! It’s the business of pro boxing..

Canelo is just getting on with the fight..

I am sure if he was as big a mouth and whinger as Saunders, he would have his side of the story..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Saunders getting his excuses in early speaks volumes. And as regards Canelo he is the A side and is fighting on his turf and any smart fighter going there should know this and all that entails.

The fight was never off as he has signed the contract. All noise.

Saunders is not smart enough to be using this to upset Canelo or sell extra tickets. He's just a piece of **** who knows his 0 is going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Saunders getting his excuses in early speaks volumes. And as regards Canelo he is the A side and is fighting on his turf and any smart fighter going there should know this and all that entails.

I disagree. In any sport, the playing field should be the same for both sides. Not content with being the "house" boxer and having the judges in his pocket, Canelo now wants to do the old Klitschko trick of doctoring the ring to suit your own game as well. I think that Saunders is merely fighting his own corner here, same as Tyson Fury did in Germany.

I don't know when I have been looking forward to a fight more than this. Still trying to decide whether I record and watch on Sunday late morning (like I usually do) or stay up and watch it live. I guess we're talking 5am or the like again aren't we.

I disagree. In any sport, the playing field should be the same for both sides. Not content with being the "house" boxer and having the judges in his pocket, Canelo now wants to do the old Klitschko trick of doctoring the ring to suit your own game as well. I think that Saunders is merely fighting his own corner here, same as Tyson Fury did in Germany.

I don't know when I have been looking forward to a fight more than this. Still trying to decide whether I record and watch on Sunday late morning (like I usually do) or stay up and watch it live. I guess we're talking 5am or the like again aren't we.

Judges in his pocket?

What does this mean?

Three neutral judges....

It was Saunders trying to uneven the field. Wanting a British judge..

I’m flabbergasted that folks can’t see through this charade. It’s smokes and mirrors nonsense from Saunders, who knows that he hasn’t a prayer on any playing field, hence his muddying the waters to soften the blow of an emphatic defeat..

22ft agreed. Surprised Canelo agreed tbh but shows he's not too concerned regardless.

https://twitter.com/boxing_social/status/1390050981891690498?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Am I mad in thinking Saunders has a decent chance? Know he hasn't the CV canelo does but he's always seemed to fight up or down to the level needed.
    We don't actually know if he can be walked down as it's never happened, he's been too elusive.
    Lemiux was probably his stiffest test on paper alongside Andy Lee and he won both pretty comfortably.
    Horrible human being totally agree, but these gypsy fighters are a serious breed. I think it's a fascinating match up and will be subscribing to dazn for 1,99ðŸ˜႒ going to be incredible value compared to paying for parker-chisora regardless of what happens.

someyoke wrote: »
    Am I mad in thinking Saunders has a decent chance? Know he hasn't the CV canelo does but he's always seemed to fight up or down to the level needed.
    We don't actually know if he can be walked down as it's never happened, he's been too elusive.
    Lemiux was probably his stiffest test on paper alongside Andy Lee and he won both pretty comfortably.
    Horrible human being totally agree, but these gypsy fighters are a serious breed. I think it's a fascinating match up and will be subscribing to dazn for 1,99ðŸ˜႒ going to be incredible value compared to paying for parker-chisora regardless of what happens.

Possibly mad!

Saunders has not fought anyone close to Canelo’s level.

His best wins are over three gatekeepers. Lee, Lemieux and a green Eubank

This fight is two steps up from the best he has fought..

Beat Eubank years ago in a razor close fight.

Beat Lee years ago in a close fight. Razor close on cards. Barring the KD I think Lee may have gotten a draw.

Beat Lemieux comfortable...

That is his resume...it’s very ordinary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should be a cracker Saunders has great skills. Lacks power but if his movement is good who knows. What channels it on?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    This is just it

People believing the Saunders nonsense...

The fight is on...

The chap is just making up excuses in preparation for his loss..

He’s feeding these pathetic excuses to the public and some folks are believing the bull..

And even if what he is claiming is true, so what?! It’s the business of pro boxing..

Canelo is just getting on with the fight..

I am sure if he was as big a mouth and whinger as Saunders, he would have his side of the story..

Canelo was the one who tried to use a 18ft ring ?
    Who have you ever seen use an 18ft ring in a world title fight ?
    Do you think it should have been in a 18ft ring ?

Canelo pulled the same trick in reserve with GGG ,

And yes the fight is on because Canelo accepted he was wrong and its been changed to a 22ft ring ,

Canelo will win but fair play to BJS for standing his ground against Canelo usual nonsense , and I don't like BJS

Canelo was the one who tried to use a 18ft ring ?
    Who have you ever seen use an 18ft ring in a world title fight ?
    Do you think it should have been in a 18ft ring ?

Canelo pulled the same trick in reserve with GGG ,

And yes the fight is on because Canelo accepted he was wrong and its been changed to a 22ft ring ,

Canelo will win but fair play to BJS for standing his ground against Canelo usual nonsense , and I don't like BJS

You keep saying you don’t like Saunders..

This should have nothing to do with anything

Right from the start he has been looking for excuses..

This is all him. Nothing to do with Canelo.

Should be a cracker Saunders has great skills. Lacks power but if his movement is good who knows. What channels it on?

DAZN stream

2 euro per month

Sigh up. Well worth it

What are your guys predictions ?

I think BJS will win some early rounds but be stopped around round 9/10 or possible survive & go the distance and lose on points,

I think you are taking it up wrong in fairness. Saying he doesn't like Saunders as no doubt people will feel his stance is tinted by a general dislike of Canelo, or a favouritism to BJS.

It does get thrown at people in this forum (mainly people who show the slightest bit of praise for Tyson Fury for instance).

Fighting you corner isn't making excuses. I'd have done the same, just because i'm not the a-side doesn't mean I should shut up and allow Canelo/Klitschko/Floyd play silly games to unsettle further. These guys were talented enough to win without stupid small time games to aid them further.

And make no mistake, Canelo will win. I applaud Saunders here aswell, Canelo has backed down it looks like. I think it may be your dislike of Saunders that is clouding your own judgement.

The judges thing is a separate issue, neutral judges is fair enough. If the starting point should be that "whoever Canelo chooses as an opponent should know how it works and be happy to be there" then its everything thats wrong with the sport.

If anything, I think Saunders inflated opinion of himself has him believing he can win, i don't see it as getting his excuses in. I see it as him trying to make sure he gets that little edge. He won't win, but not for a second do I believe Saunders thinks Canelo is the better man/fighter. Its just not how someone like him would think.

He will realise Canelo is the better fighter after Saturday night of course.

What are your guys predictions ?

I think BJS will win some early rounds but be stopped around round 9/10 or possible survive & go the distance and lose on points,

I think Saunders won't get close to landing enough meaningful shots to win any rounds, if Canelo fights in burst like he tends to do then Saunders might nick 1 or 2.

Conversely, I don't think Saunders will look to engage that often, which won't exactly make Canelo look good, but thats more down to BJs negativity rather than his technical nous.

Like Paul McCloskey, you can be hard to hit when you are simply backing off and evading shots whilst attemping little offence. So not a hope in hell Saunders is offensive enough (he is outside the ring ironically) inside the ropes to get a decision.

I expect it to go the distance, a wide UD for Canelo. And Saunders will act like he was robbed.

Why won't you answer the question I'm asking you ?

Do you think an 18 ft ring should be used in a World title fight ?

You keep saying its nothing to do with Canelo its his show he chose the 18ft ring ? Just like when it suited him against GGG he chose a 24ft ring ,

Would you not agree that Canelo has a history of trying to control every little thing on his own favour ?

Standing up for yourself is not making excuses ,
    Tyson Fury done the same thing out in German,

Actually don't forget, Eddie Hearn was reportedly already planning and talking up Caleb Plant v Canelo next also, if I was BJS i'd be highlighting that aswell.

No harm seeing that kind of nonsense called out, again its not going to make any difference, but its a question of taste.

Boxing is crooked at best of times, I don't think Canelo would be put in with anyone who posed a serious threat to his contract. Hence the GGG fights were delayed until the time was right for him too. Saunders wasn't avoided, he brought little $$$ and is risky in the sense that he has inflated opinion of himself and prob genuinely thinks it should be 50/50 split, and he is not easy to look good against.

Saying that, there is nobody right now who poses a serious threat to Canelo within the Light middle to Super middle weight classes.

Why won't you answer the question I'm asking you ?

You keep saying its nothing to do with Canelo its his show he chose the 18ft ring ? Just like when it suited him against GGG he chose a 24ft ring ,

Would you not agree that Canelo has a history of trying to control every little thing on his own favour ?

Standing up for yourself is not making excuses ,
    Tyson Fury done the same thing out in German,

I have no idea on the ins and outs of the contracts

Nor do you

I have no view on 18/20/22/24 feet rings....

You are simply ready to believe Saunders here....

It is that simple. He is making excuses and moaning about details. Nobody else is, just him.

And you obviously see it as legitimate, and I see it as him making excuses because he knows he hasn't a hope....

• Advertisement

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    I think you are taking it up wrong in fairness. Saying he doesn't like Saunders as no doubt people will feel his stance is tinted by a general dislike of Canelo, or a favouritism to BJS.

It does get thrown at people in this forum (mainly people who show the slightest bit of praise for Tyson Fury for instance).

Fighting you corner isn't making excuses. I'd have done the same, just because i'm not the a-side doesn't mean I should shut up and allow Canelo/Klitschko/Floyd play silly games to unsettle further. These guys were talented enough to win without stupid small time games to aid them further.

And make no mistake, Canelo will win. I applaud Saunders here as well, Canelo has backed down it looks like. I think it may be your dislike of Saunders that is clouding your own judgement.

The judges thing is a separate issue, neutral judges is fair enough. If the starting point should be that "whoever Canelo chooses as an opponent should know how it works and be happy to be there" then its everything thats wrong with the sport.

If anything, I think Saunders inflated opinion of himself has him believing he can win, i don't see it as getting his excuses in. I see it as him trying to make sure he gets that little edge. He won't win, but not for a second do I believe Saunders thinks Canelo is the better man/fighter. Its just not how someone like him would think.

He will realise Canelo is the better fighter after Saturday night of course.

I don't like Saunders. Not a nice person

Nothing to do with this. If I loved him I'd say the same.

And this is a man who responded to a polite reporter's question yesterday with "suck my balls."

Another reporter asked him how he was spending his downtime, and he said playing his balls and letting off....actually responding by talking about masturbation.

A lowlife....

Dissing Canelo in the face to face about cheating, and he himself a convicted doper....

I hope he gets thoroughly beaten...

And he does not believe he can win....every fighter will say they can win....he knows he is in too deep, hence all these excuses. Wait for after....it will be all "I didn't train a lick" and all that nonsense

I have no idea on the ins and outs of the contracts

Nor do you

I have no view on 18/20/22/24 feet rings....

You are simply ready to believe Saunders here....

It is that simple. He is making excuses and moaning aboiut details. Nobody else is, juts him

And you obviously see it as legitimate, and I see it as him making excuses because he knows he hasn't a hope....

Basically your saying no comment , you really can be contrarian .,

Did you have an opinion when Canelo was pushing for the bigger ring against GGG ?

Believe him ?
    What do you mean believe him , what is there to believe ?
    They arrived and there was an 18ft ring in place , it happened, ?
    18ft is know world wide as an amateur size ring
    Even an Olympic ring is 20ft

Basically your saying no comment , you really can be contrarian .,

Did you have an opinion when Canelo was pushing for the bigger ring against GGG ?

Believe him ?
    What do you mean believe him , what is there to believe ?
    They arrived and there was an 18ft ring in place , it happened, ?
    18ft is know world wide as an amateur size ring
    Even an Olympic ring is 20ft

Saunders is the contrarian, and those justifying and defending him....

Not me...

I am calling his BS.....As are many others....

I had no opinion regarding GGG-Canelo.......I was not aware of this...

Leaving it now......you want to fall for Saunders' nonsense here, grand. I don't, I call it moaning and whingeing, all because he knows he is fooked...

Wait for his loss and his excuses.....and you and some others will be buying them

Saunders is the contrarian, and those justifying and defending him....

Not me...

I am calling his BS.....As are many others....

I had no opinion regarding GGG-Canelo.......I was not aware of this...

Leaving it now......you want to fall for Saunders' nonsense here, grand. I don't, I call it moaning and whingeing, all because he knows he is fooked...

Wait for his loss and his excuses.....and you and some others will be buying them

The ring was amateur or white collar boxing size ring .
    He asked for it to be changed and it got changed and that's the end of the story ,

I'm not sure what you think we are falling for ?

I finding it hard to understand your outrage on this ,

Looking forward to watching the fight now, Canelo in the 9th is my prediction

What's the big issue with an 18ft ring? Saunders last two fights took place in 18ft rings. Didn't see any issue taken then as it's very standard. I doubt Canelo even thought about it tbh given how quickly he granted Saunders a bigger ring. Clearly didn't mean much to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The ring was amateur or white collar boxing size ring .
    He asked for it to be changed and it got changed and that's the end of the story ,

I'm not sure what you think we are falling for ?

I finding it hard to understand your outrage on this ,

Looking forward to watching the fight now, Canelo in the 9th is my prediction

In fairness he asked for a 24ft ring and settled for a 22 having never in his life that i know of fought in a 24ft ring.

Call it what it is - he wanted more room to run and move, make it harder to be walked down.

Canelo being happy to agree says he is very confident.

Saunders is a maggot and the decision was a maggot decision as the original agreement was around a 20ft according to hearn.

Either way 22ft it is and more a failure and fool he will look if he loses in it. End of alright. Bring on the fight. Some crap UFC fight night on to switch to between fights - should be a good night.

Morrison J wrote: »
    What's the big issue with an 18ft ring? Saunders last two fights took place in 18ft rings. Didn't see any issue taken then as it's very standard. I doubt Canelo even thought about it tbh given how quickly he granted Saunders a bigger ring. Clearly didn't mean much to him.

Where did you see that I thought the SSE for Murray was a 20ft ?

In fairness he asked for a 24ft ring and settled for a 22 having never in his life that i know of fought in a 24ft ring.

Call it what it is - he wanted more room to run and move, make it harder to be walked down.

Canelo being happy to agree says he is very confident.

Saunders is a maggot and the decision was a maggot decision as the original agreement was around a 20ft according to hearn.

Either way 22ft it is and more a failure and fool he will look if he loses in it. End of alright. Bring on the fight. Some crap UFC fight night on to switch to between fights - should be a good night.

As far as I heard there was no original agreement,

22ft is fair and should be the end of it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Placed it at 8pm on Saturday night when he was meant to be boxing.

Re: the ring. Is this not agreed during the discussions and written into the contract?

The ring size is whatever was initially agreed as per Saunders yesterday.

So yeah, load of ****ing ****e for what? He does my head in :D

As they would say in their culture, go out and take your lumps and be done with it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Going for Canelo stoppage, rounds 10-12.

Advertisement