Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russian build up along Ukraine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭sparky42

They have sent a lot of hardware to the border, much I think than they have been doing since the war broke out, testing to see what Biden might do? Distracting from something domestic again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Weather's improving - sun is higher in the sky....campaign season is almost upon us and The Bear is coming out of hibernation!

Western Europe (in general) seems to care little about what goes on 'over there' - ah shur...that's nothing to do with us!

Oh, and by the way...those minor law changes that were voted in last July...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53255964

Guess whose 'power-base' has suddenly extended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

From what I'm reading, it's not a huge move, 2000 men. And an artillery exchange that lasted a day when they usually last an hour. So this seems to be over reported.

blindsider wrote: »
    Weather's improving - sun is higher in the sky....campaign season is almost upon us and The Bear is coming out of hibernation!

That gave us all a huge fright, that year they moved on Crimea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I dont know what to read into this, the US asked about it as it wasnt planned movements, some guy on Twitter I read in his page ( I forget who he is ) but he said if the Russians were planning to attack they would have moved fast already & they would have used Artillery first to soften the ground for Infantry to move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

On Twitter, GorseFiresCollectif and Andy Scollick seem to be knowledgeable and fairly anti Putin. (=Free press/slightly west-leaning neutral.)

They are both suggesting that the situation in Ukraine is anything but 'minor'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Russia are promoting the narrative that they will invade Ukraine if the Ukrainians don't turn the water back on to the Crimea.

https://www.rt.com/russia/518514-ukraine-invaded-water-supply/

That was spoken about on Twitter, if thats the case just give them the water & be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Psychlops wrote: »
    That was spoken about on Twitter, if thats the case just give them the water & be done with it.

And how does that help to eject Russia from their illegal annexation of the Crimean penisula.

The West must back Ukraine unstintingly in its fight for territorial integrity against the rotten corrupt cess pit that is the Russian Federation under Putin.

Putin relies on the reticence of the West to put him on his arse. He should be disabused of that notion.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And how does that help to eject Russia from their illegal annexation of the Crimean penisula.

The West must back Ukraine unstintingly in its fight for territorial integrity against the rotten corrupt cess pit that is the Russian Federation under Putin.

Putin relies on the reticence of the West to put him on his arse. He should be disabused of that notion.

Well if it stops an escalation I am all for it.

Quite right Dohvolle.

The only thing Putin will respond to, is an escalation. He's posturing now, but his equipment is knackered and his supplies cannot sustain a serious engagement.

As soon as he steps foot inside of Ukraine's current eastern border, NATO should lay waste to his forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Dohvolle wrote: »
    It wont.
    Russian state sponsored media saying things like "Russians in Ukraine need to be protected" and "there is no Ukraine, just Nazi supporting rats".

Any idea why they were waiting 5 years?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

President Zelensky made a direct appeal to the NATO Sec Gen today to fast track his nation's accession process to that organisation. Not to make them a member immediately, but to hasten the steps in the process to demonstrate a clear policy and solidarity with the democratic nations of Europe.

Have to hand it to him, its a good way to see the colour of NATOs money. Either they're serious and they'll back him, or they aren't and NATO is a golf club with a nice members bar in Brussels.

As a side issue, it'll be pretty juicy to see what Hungary does about it, as it will put Viktor Orban at odds with Putin, where he doesn't really want to be. Ditto Poland, albeit to a lesser extent.

The conflict did not stop, it is just moving to the next phase. Word is Putin is unwell, and this may be his big moment to make his name for eternity, before his illness sees him physically decline and withdraw from view, like so many former soviet leaders did before.

Yeah a lot of chat about that the last 6 months. Was it Parkinsons or Alzheimers that was mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

Psychlops wrote: »
    Well if it stops an escalation I am all for it.

Peace in our time, yep that works.

Parkinsons.
    We don't need another world leader with Alzheimers.

You see he signed a law allowing him to stay in Power?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/vladimir-putin-passes-law-that-may-keep-him-in-office-until-2036

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Exercise my hool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The military buildup has been continuing throughout the weekend. Russian spokespeople not even trying to claim it is military exercises anymore. Currently believed to be 85,000 Russian soldiers positioned on the Ukrainian border.

Initially I thought the Russian military was putting pressure on Ukrainian Government to alleviate the water blockade in Crimea. Now I wouldn't be surprised if there is the possibility of Russian forces annexing the territories held by separatists entirely. Precursor to this would be a request by the Government's of DPR and and LPR for intervention.

The Ukrainian Government have been saying they have military intelligence to suggest that the Russian Government is undertaking a massive military buildup that will continue throughout April culminating in a large scale invasion next month. I think everyone is highly skeptical of that, but if this military buildup continues in the weeks ahead then tensions will significantly increase. Of course that is probably what Russia wants, again the end goal may be to use a crisis to secure concessions on energy and water supplies. However this military buildup is a significant one and won't come cheap for the Russian Government. They want to get something significant out of it.

On Ukraine’s doorstep, Russia boosts military and sends message of regional clout to Biden

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1381242708359061507

• Advertisement

Consequences will be heavy sanctions.

By now the West mustn't have many sanctions left in the locker to impose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Quick guide to Russia-Ukraine military tensions

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56720589

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Well this is most welcome news, honestly speaking I firmly believe we have stepped back from an actual brink of something, I wonder did they have a war of words via their video conference today on Climate change.

Either way this is great news, nobody would win a conflict like this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56842763

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Royal Navy shadowed by Russian coastguard today along with 20 fighter jets on radar and a Russian war ship in the distance. Threats were made to them to change their course or shots would be fired, which they were but not on target. There was a BBC journalist on board with a camera crew who got footage of the reaction on the bridge and a fighter jet flying close by
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57583363

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The MOD statement is at odds with this version of events

Yeah I know, it is stated in the article I linked. MOD is saying no warning shots were fired but the journalists on board arent agreeing with them with one of them reporting cannon fire from a Russian coastguard vessel and the Commander said the same
    The latest incident saw more than 50 interactions with Russian aircraft recorded by Defender in a few hours. Commander Owen told the Mail: 'That is the closest I have come to a Russian vessel in my 21-year career. I suspect the gunfire was from one of the coastguard vehicles.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9718661/Read-dramatic-eyewitness-report-Vladimir-Putin-gunboat-opens-fire.html

MOD claim is that the Russians were performing gunnery exercises in the distance and thats the shots that were fired. But one of the journalists has a source in the UK govt who said they are trying to play down the incident.
    Downing Street insisted Defender was taking the 'most direct' route from Ukraine to Georgia along an 'internationally recognised travel corridor' and was not subject to warning shots fired by Russia. A source acknowledged the Government was playing down the incident to deny Moscow the row it is seeking.

The Russians look like chumps as usual.

Russia: We dropped bombs and fired warning shots in the vicinity of these aggressive NATO vessels!

UK: No you bloody didn't. You told us you'd be exercising in the area and we observed that.

Russia: Here is the footage! (aerial footage shows nothing but planes flying about and the RN Destroyer on targetting scanners and cameras.)

This is just more of the same crap we've seen before with Russian jets buzzing US warships while the USN carries on with its exercises.

I'd love to see one of the Russians loose the plot and let a bomb go on a NATO vessel in international waters and watch them get shredded by the NATO offensive weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, this seems like it's heating up.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I dunno. Its no warmer, really, than at any point in the 7 odd years of conflict. The sabre rattling has always ebbed and flowed.

Putin knows if he starts anything serious in Ukraine proper, it will inevitably draw the West into active participation and he will lose Crimea, the Donestk enclave and his natural gas income.

The cancellation of Nord Stream II by Germany certainly ratchets up the stakes, but it doesn't really alter the geopolitical reality on the ground.

What's interesting from an Irish perspective is the pan-European approach. I saw on the news earlier, the NATO Sec Gen Stolltenberg in the EU Commission building in Brussels, standing in front of a bank of EU flags, giving an interview following an EU Defence Minister's meeting as if he were speaking for both bodies. Bearing in mind Poland, Latvia and Lithuania have formally commenced a NATO Article 4 process, fearing for their territorial integrity.

Is the line between the European NATO members and the EU itself thinning even more? Where will Ireland stand in possible NATO military action in Belarus or Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The same place we stood on the cold war on the Fence. We allowed Nato use airspace and Aeroflot shannon

Advertisement