Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mfceiling wrote: »
    Romanian lad in work to me...

"Did you get the vaccine?"

"Yep"

Him laughing "man you're crazy. You know they have your DNA now. They took your DNA from the needle"

"I watched them throw it in those yellow sealed bins"

"No...when you leave, they take it back out and they get your DNA. That's how they caught Bin Laden. They did a mass vaccination for polio then got a DNA match for his kids then followed them home to his house"

"Surely they'd have checked the register for the same surname"

*Silence*

"Ah you're in big trouble now they have your DNA".

I watched the girl who vaccinated me do another 3 or 4 people after me. It was an open cubicle and I sat close to it for 15 minutes after getting my jab. At no stage did she take any needles from the bin.

there is a little bit of truth in what he says. In relation to how they found Bin Laden. Or rather how they confirmed they had the right place. The CIA arranged a fake vaccination program to get DNA samples from the children and used those to confirm they were his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

"Yep"

Him laughing "man you're crazy. You know they have your DNA now. They took your DNA from the needle"

"No...when you leave, they take it back out and they get your DNA. That's how they caught Bin Laden. They did a mass vaccination for polio then got a DNA match for his kids then followed them home to his house"

*Silence*

I watched the girl who vaccinated me do another 3 or 4 people after me. It was an open cubicle and I sat close to it for 15 minutes after getting my jab. At no stage did she take any needles from the bin.

I’d love to know what THEY are going to do with everyone’s DNA? Or what would they do with all the info from the microchips?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

there is a little bit of truth in what he says. In relation to how they found Bin Laden. Or rather how they confirmed they had the right place. The CIA arranged a fake vaccination program to get DNA samples from the children and used those to confirm they were his children.

It set polio vaccination back in Pakistan and beyond. The anti-vaxxers and nonsense-merchants had a field day with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"Yep"

*Silence*

Isn't the polio vaccine given orally, or us that something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually they didn't and it wasn't, or at least wasn't considered so when I was a kid in the 70's. It was an expected, normalised part of childhood. You got measles and mumps and chicken pox and various snotty nosed illnesses. Now when I read stats like 1 in 4 are hospitalised with measles I certainly wonder. All of my friends and classmates caught it, had a week off school and that was it. None required hospital. Nobody died. I remember chicken pox being much more uncomfortable. Well I can actually remember having chicken pox. I can barely recall my bout of measles at all, beyond my dad buying me a load of comics to tide me over. :D As I said, unless the measles virus has become far more nasty and what me and my peers went through was a weaker strain(which is entirely possible) if I hadn't read of the dangers of it I would have had no particular worry hearing someone caught it.

Wibbs, I know you are not anti-vax, but I can assure measles does kill and always has killed. It is not a new varient either, it killed my 8 year old cousin in County Meath in the 1970s.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »

There is an oral version but it only used in places with less developed infrastructure. in the western world it is an injection, usually administered along with other childhood vaccinations.

There is an oral version but it only used in places with less developed infrastructure. in the western world it is an injection, usually administered along with other childhood vaccinations.

Ah, ok. I was given the drops in the UK in the early 90s when I was 21. I remember it because it gave me a badly upset stomach.

Ah, ok. I was given the drops in the UK in the early 90s when I was 21. I remember it because it gave me a badly upset stomach.

we stopped using it in ireland 20 years ago. I always thought they gave it on a sugar lump.

we stopped using it in ireland 20 years ago. I always thought they gave it on a sugar lump.

The timing is about right, so. If I'm remembering it correctly, it was in a little plastic ampule and they broke the seal and squeezed it out onto the back of my tongue. I suppose the fact that I was an adult meant the sugar cube wasn't necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,100 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got it on a sugar lump too but that's well over 40 years ago now!

One kid in my class thought he was great because he sneaked a second sugar lump :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got it on a sugar lump too but that's well over 40 years ago now!
    40 years ago? OMG!!! Windows development started in 1981.
    Is there no end to this control?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

paul71 wrote: »
    Wibbs, I know you are not anti-vax, but I can assure measles does kill and always has killed. It is not a new varient either, it killed my 8 year old cousin in County Meath in the 1970s.

Absolutely, it is INCREDIBLY dangerous to lump measles into the same basket as chicken pox.

There is a reason why measles is on the national vaccination programme and chicken pox is not, because as you say measles is a very nasty disease and can be fatal - over 200,000 deaths globally in 2019.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two types of vaccines are used to prevent polio disease– inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) and oral polio vaccine (OPV)

Oral is given during an active outbreak otherwise it's injections of the inactivated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

"Yep"

*Silence*

As a guy who does vaccinations, let me tell you that this is true. I did 67 there in 3 hours a few weeks ago (I work in a GP surgery). Doing the vaccinations was fine but it was the sifting through every needle afterwards that a pain in the hoop. I got multiple needle stick injuries so thankfully the government already have my DNA so it wont confuse the matter. Bill Gates sent me a thank you email directly so that was nice, I'm still waiting for the cheque and he's a hoor for not paying, I really should learn my lesson at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

To save me sifting through 5000+ pages of posts, can somebody explain to me (in a nutshell) what Anti-Vaxers believe? Why exactly are they against the Covid-19 vaccine, and is it only the Covid-19 type vaccines that they oppose, or all vaccines?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

To save me sifting through 5000+ pages of posts, can somebody explain to me (in a nutshell) what Anti-Vaxers believe? Why exactly are they against the Covid-19 vaccine, and is it only the Covid-19 type vaccines that they oppose, or all vaccines?

Thanks in advance.

Great resource here: www.skepticalraptor.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

That's a big old nutshell, when I get time I'll sift through all the info ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a big old nutshell, when I get time I'll sift through all the info ...

Anti-vaxxers spreading disinformation either ignorantly or deceitfully that vaccines are harmful. Popular debunked claims are that MMR causes autism, Pandemrix causes narcolepsy (states have issues compensations for this but there is no real causative evidence) and the covid vaccine is a tracking mechanism created by Bill Gates. It always limited to spreader events and drivel on the internet. Anti-vaxxers will never demand greater accountability for the government or pharma firms, lobby for transparency, etc. It's solely about risking other people's health to feel special or important.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Thanks in advance.

There are a few types;

A lot of anti-vaxxers are anti-everything. Fluoride in water, 5G phones, E-numbers in food, chemtrails. It is a mild form of mental illness, there is no other way to describe it, these people are just not well. Unfortunately, trying to convince them otherwise just hardens their resolve that it's all a conspiracy and they have to resist.

Unfortunately, there is also a growing number of people fanning the flames of this for financial gain. "Go to my website, read about the dangers of wind turbines, click on the link to buy my special blend of anti-oxidants and micronutrients to ensure you're protected". They're preying on the weakness of the first group and they're the lowest of the low because they know exactly what they're doing. Absolutely contemptible.

Finally, there's the much larger group of people who are otherwise sensible but hear so much "information" from the first two groups that casts doubt on vaccines that it feeds a vague uneasiness in them. Sort of like your friend who won't eat gluten despite never having had any symptoms of coeliac disease, they just have a vague idea that gluten is bad. This is the most dangerous because the first two groups are very small in number but if enough fall into the third group and decline immunization, then herd immunity becomes harder and harder to achieve.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anti-vaxxers spreading disinformation either ignorantly or deceitfully that vaccines are harmful. Popular debunked claims are that MMR causes autism
    Wakefield wasn't anti-vaxx he just wanted to corner the marked by removing the competition.

The plan was to undermine confidence in the MMR vaccine so he could sell other vaccine products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thanks in advance.

They're basically hippies/new age travellers with too much time on their hands

They're the same type who are anti-5g technology, shell to sea, tree huggers - they look upon anything official sanctioned by the government with suspicion - their thinking is that big brother i.e. any ruling government is trying to control and manipulate the population minds through these vaccine programs and that our DNA will be tampered with and other made up bolloxology, there's no talking to them they've totally convinced themselves of it in their own little worlds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wakefield wasn't anti-vaxx he just wanted to corner the marked by removing the competition.

The plan was to undermine confidence in the MMR vaccine so he could sell other vaccine products.

I know. I was talking about anti-vaxxers as a whole.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

Thanks in advance.

For Covid vaccines: they were rushed, under-tested, they're experimental.

The clinical trials are ongoing and won't end for years; they haven't got full approval—only emergency use/conditional marketing authorisation.

Despite potential long-term harms being unknown they are being pushed on all age groups, even children in some countries. Billions of people will essentially become guinea pigs.

While the risk/benefit ratio may be good for vulnerable groups it's not so for non-vulnerable groups. For example, for a healthy young person the risk of serious consequences from Covid is close to zero, so the benefit of a vaccine would be close to zero and the harms could be considerable.

moonage wrote: »
    For Covid vaccines: they were rushed, under-tested, they're experimental.

The clinical trials are ongoing and won't end for years; they haven't got full approval—only emergency use/conditional marketing authorisation.

Despite potential long-term harms being unknown they are being pushed on all age groups, even children in some countries. Billions of people will essentially become guinea pigs.

While the risk/benefit ratio may be good for vulnerable groups it's not so for non-vulnerable groups. For example, for a healthy young person the risk of serious consequences from Covid is close to zero, so the benefit of a vaccine would be close to zero and the harms could be considerable.

Anti-vaxx nonsense.

You may recall that there's a global pandemic is afoot so urgency is something of a priority given the damage lockdowns are causing. They were tested before being released but if you can substantiate your allegations to the contrary, please do so.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

I'm not anti- Vax in general, or anti 5g etc etc but I personally won't be taking any of the covid -19 vaccinations. And I'll tell you afew of the reasons why.
    To the poster former, former. You mentioned herd immunity. This term is a bit nonsensical imo. The Vax shots ,as we've been told do not confer immunity they only mitigate the severity of covid symptoms, yet we all need to take one to achieve "herd immunity".???
    From what I've read from the C.D.C's own figures, covid has a 99.76% survival rate and for my age group it has to be alot less again. Last year it was reported that it would kill 3.4 ish% of people, that's proved not the case.
    The vaccines where developed quickly and given emergency legislation to be used. They say that they've been vigorously tested etc but by their very nature they've no long term safety data on them yet, although afaik they're in phase 3 trials which wont be finished till the end of the year sometime. There's a growing number of people experiencing adverse reactions to these jabs, I read Sweden has reported 30,000 and VAERS has reported alot more. I have some other reasons but I'll finish with this one, I've already had covid19, I wasn't too well for a week and isolated myself but tbh I've had worse colds over the years. Imo my body fought it off and now has natural immunity.
    Like I said I'm not anti- Vax but I see no reason to allow someone jab me in the arm with one of the shots.
    For others, especially those that are elderly , immune compromised etc etc I can completely understand why they're choosing to receive one but for me Thank you, but No!!

volono wrote: »
    I'm not anti- Vax in general, or anti 5g etc etc

Why do they think this is going to be any more convincing?

H. H. Asquith

I started my post like that because if u look up the page posters are saying "they're tree huggers, anti 5g etc etc". Simple enough reason I would of thought

I started my post like that because if u look up the page posters are saying "they're tree huggers, anti 5g etc etc". Simple enough reason I would of thought

It's the same nonsense hymn sheet as before. There's plenty of people trying the "I'm not anti-vaxx but..." shtick.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You missed ancapailldorcha's point.

Let me dumb this down for you.

You're spouting widely debunked anti-vaxx sh1te. Saying you're not is belied by the screed you posted. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck: you're an anti-vaxxer.

• Advertisement

No not at all. Ive given you my reasons for not wanting to receive one and imo they're valid
    to me. I'm all for vaccinations but I feel I DON'T need one for covid19 for my reasons stated above. I'm not saying others don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement