Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zack Snyder says Carla Gugino was his choice to play Catwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hollywood is getting fierce racist these days, no Asian, Hispanic or White directors need apply :pac: . Seems like people were looking forward to a Black Superman film but race bending Clark Kent is going to split the fanbase.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1391543762011271168

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Really hope it's the multiverse arc and they include Captain Carrot too

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Why can't they just pick one of the black Supes from the comics, instead of race bending Kal-El?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the story is going to emphasise an African American perspective within what is already the biggest Immigrant Tale in comic-books, then there's nothing wrong with sounding out for a black director who might better understand, empathise or project those story beats in a smarter fashion. I wouldn't call that racist, more common sense. Part of the reason Black Panther wasn't an unholy mess was because the director was a black American (now, I've my own personal wondering if actual Africans found it a bit racist but that's another segue)

It's not without reason the most cringe-inducing - or crudely reductionist - "Racism is bad" films tend to be those helmed by White Americans (Crash; Green Book; Driving Miss Daisy; The Other Side, the list goes on); there's an absence of perspective or nuance that often comes across as what's snarked as "white saviour". It's not instantly negated or eliminated by the presence of a black director - but it sure helps. And that's not to dump on those directors either; if cinema is an empathic medium then its to films benefit if the ideas are a little more authentic.

Race bending Kal-El is fine; I mean ideally, DC would just adapt Superman as-is. No twists, alternative takes or whatever. But I guarantee the Richard Donner film is basically seen as holy writ; while conversely, Superman Returns was seen as proof you can't just do a "simple" Supes flm anymore.

Yes, there'll be outrage and many angry Tweets. Maybe even some performative outbursts from Fox News types. Dog bites man.

This smacks of WB doing damage mitigation, from Ray Fisher. Particularly how well Cyborg was viewed post Snyder cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I want to chime in a few points here regarding a Black Superman movie

The people who seemingly know that allowances cannot be made for separate versions of Superman out there in the comic book world clearly don't know what they are talking about Re: creating a black Superman for the big screen. It doesn't have to be one version of the character that has to be the most superior one to the other when you talk about these characters. These characters made for other universes can be allowed to be flexible to entice their fans to see them on the big screen.

A black Superman is one thing to consider for a big screen movie. A Superman movie being produced with a Russian accent, like Superman: Red Son, would be quite another. Could you imagine the reaction from all of the racists on boards & elsewhere if a live action version of that film was made for the cinema. They could describe a Russian Superman film as being the most greatest version of Superman in this comic book universe since the sliced pan was invented. DC can be allowed to develop these ideas, for both their own superheroes & supervillains, under their Multiverse strategy for the big screen.

This is why this current strategy by DC in setting up a multiverse on the big screen is a huge benefit for WB. When they committed themselves to producing with these films; they can never run out of ideas when they try to make & produce a movie as a way of expanding their studio's & creator's film-making reputation. They can have the ability to create the biggest potential in making big hits at the box office if they continue on with this trend which has already happened with Joker. Just look at the critical success of that film from people who had watched that film all around the world. It basically netted an leading actor academy award win for Joaquin Phoenix only a few years ago. But more of that success needs to be done if WB need to continue with it immediately to keep their fans happy & in sync with their world.

All I'm saying that this multiverse has many multiple ways creating the biggest potential that is possible for their characters.

DC has defintely earned their right to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Why can't they just pick one of the black Supes from the comics, instead of race bending Kal-El?
    You mean Kalel? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Russian Superman would be an elseworlds story not set in or on our Earth there are a lot of them out there one such is The Crime Syndicate of Amerika where Clark is found by Lionel Luther (Lex's dad) he is raised to be Clark Luthor also known as Ultraman

Superman Red Son is a very good story with Clark landing on a battery farm in the Ukraine during the Cold War era he grows up under the care of Stalin becoming the Russian Superman while Lex Luthor is the American scientific expert and later President fighting the unwinnable fight against a Clark that has become the Russian leader and has taken over most of the world as he is an unstoppable instrument of communism. It is one of the most bizarre Superman stories and is eye opening to the actual story of Superman who he is and how the earths rotation being different at the point Clark is sent to earth means rather than Kansas its the Soviet Union where his rocket lands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bad Boys for Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah will direct Batgirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘Batgirl’: Leslie Grace Lands Role Of Barbara Gordon In New Warner Bros. & DC Film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hopefully it leaves the door open for Jeffrey Wright to reprise the role of her da' (although that's not really WB's MO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will a redhead ever get a shot at being a redheaded superhero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Of course, Barbara Gordon was originally a brunette. She wore a red wig as part of her disguise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the DC stable, I'm just going with an attitude of "whatever man..." then wait and see; will judge a production if it happens cos nothing in this series feels remotely nailed down. A multi billionaire dollar ad lib.

• Advertisement

How many gingers have we lost?

Barbara Gordon, HawkGirl (Legends of Tomorrow), Wally/Iris West (Flash and Snyder Cut), Jimmy Olsen (SuperGirl), StarFire (Titans),

Marvel been at it too with MJ and Ravonna Renslayer (Loki)

Whatever about hair colour, all I might hope is the Batgirl movie ISN'T an adaptation of The Killing Joke - and especially not the animated version. Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Be quicker to name the ones they kept as red heads.

Just google a list of red head comic characters and it's mostly nope on the lot.

Will see if they keep the new Jean Grey as a redhead in the MCU. And have seen some argue that they never said Zendaya plays Mary Jane.

Jimmy might still appear in the DCCU yet as a ginger since in BVS he was an undercover agent who may have just been using the name of a professional photographer as a cover.

I normally wouldn't give a toss except that it's so obvious and targetted. Like red heads don't get enough crap thrown at them they now get sacrificed at the altar of diversity

• Advertisement

so does this mean Batgirl is set in the same SnyderVerse since he played Gordon in Justice League?

Seems to be the case.

Though wouldn't be the first time he's played the same character across 2 different iterations of a hero.

Great to see Fraser back. Guy had a tonne of charisma and was a great adventure lead. Terrible the Mummy movies caused so much physical damage. Only 52, that's mad; he could conceivably still be making action films.

The really sad thing is that, while everyone enjoyed The Mummy/Returns, it took the massive failure of the Tom Cruise one for people to realise just how perfect the Fraser Mummy was.

It's the best Indy sequel we will ever get

"Why does Firefly look/sound like Cliff from Doom Patrol?". Probably less swearing though.

The first one was great; but the slide in quality was fairly pronounced so that probably helped hasten the series into a bad reputation. The sequel was really lazy with famously awful, last-minute FX. While the 3rd film I could tell you nothing about it, bar Rachel Weiz was recast, and during an action scene you could see the stunt-woman had landed heavily on her knees during a fall.

The first reigns over all. The 2nd was still very enjoyable but that Scorpion King, what were they thinking? And wouldn't a know it all child make a great addition... said no one ever

The 3rd I can not remember enough about it to even start except that they took a great concept and wasted it entirely. Oh and made the annoying kid an annoying adult AND cast a guy only 12 years younger than Fraser himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cobra Kai's Miguel actor Xolo Mariduena will play the Blue Beetle in the upcoming Blue Beetle movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Went into the article to see if he was saying Savage like how sometimes it's meant in Ireland or.. savage .. like the Americans might mean with brutality and such... but regardless it was for Cobra Kai season 4, not Blue Beetle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

so he survives

Well I definitely wasn't expecting something so comics/60s TV show accurate. Looks like a really good CW costume too, which I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought this was going to be big movie? Is for tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

HBO Max exclusively but subject to change I imagine, as Blue Beetle was also meant to be just HBO Max until they announced there will be a theatrical run.

In regards the suit, I get that it's meant to be self made and not the final version but they couldn't have picked a worse still as their first official marketing piece. It looks like crap because they didn't put any effort into the presentation of it.

In other news Joss Whedon has given a tone deaf interview in regards his time on Justice League. Particular highlights is him condescendingly claiming Gal Gadot misunderstood him as English isn't her first language, and calling Ray Fisher a bad actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Whedon interview was a big fat OOF...

Ray Fisher really surprised me with his performance in the theatrical Justice League. I thought he did a great job even with his fairly subdued role. My opinion of his performance only increased with ZS Justice League. For Whedon to try and put their argument down to Fisher being a bad actor, and criticising him just on behalf of Snyder, is insanity. Coupled with his comments about Gadot not understanding him because English isn't her first language (I think I read she started learning English at about 8 or 9 years old and is a working actress in America), is again, insanity.

Then you have all the other accounts of how awful he was on Justice League. He complains Snyder's original version made no sense and then produced what he did (which was far more nonsensical). The idea he was even being considered for Batgirl is crazy.

The rest of the interview is as much of a disaster, especially his excuses about everything that happened on his TV shows, his affairs etc. Everything is everyone else's fault.

Christ I used to be a huge fan of his, even stuff like his interviews, panels at conventions etc. I didn't think I could lose any more respect for him after the accusations came out in the last few years. Now I have. What an utter c*nt.

• Advertisement

Well, that was a nice career you had Joss Whedon. Talk about burning your bridges. Ah well. Fúck him, no great loss in the end. And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true 😎

And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true

Reported

Search your feelings, you know it to be true 😁

Burn the land and boil the sea

You can't take Firefly from me ...

I did enjoy that episode where they really rammed home the Western motifs. Really rubbed it in your face. 😂

Ok, ok. I'll stop now I'm kidding, just in case. But I do think the show's cancellation and feverish fanbase gave it more legs and mythos than perhaps is deserved. A famously mistreated show, killed before it got a chance to really take off (or indeed, burn out its goodwill). YMMV, but when I finally watched it it left a distinct taste of "is that it?"

Joss Whedon though, what fall from grace. Though seems like had we listened to Charisma Carpenter all those years ago, the pop-culture world might have looked a little different, especially the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true

• Advertisement

Joss Whedon though, what fall from grace. Though seems like had we listened to Charisma Carpenter all those years ago, the pop-culture world might have looked a little different, especially the MCU.

Yeah, f*ck that guy.

What a gut punch, after watching his shows since the 90s ( and the original Toy Story)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was a big Firefly / Serenity fan as a teen, and was great to get to see Whedon when he was over for DIFF quite a few years ago now. But the allegations are damning and the interview / profile is a trainwreck for him: he shows absolutely no remorse or even acknowledgment for his actions. Whatever about disputing some of the specifics, to double down and defend some of his behaviour is the worst possible approach. Add to that the fresh details and reporting in the piece and it's one of the most unflattering profiles I've read (although Jeff Garlin's recent interview was also a staggering act of self-sabotage).

There should be room for someone to truly look at their behaviour and genuinely apologise & change - there's no indication of that whatsoever in the profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sweet Jesus. I haven't read that Vulture interview from JW yet. However if what people are saying here about how he treated Gal Gadot & Ray Fisher on set as being completely true his stint on Justice League should be an eye opening read.

It also could not bring out a more truer image of the man when we see him for what he is. What a truly miserable & odious individual.

What he has said in making these two actors lose respect for him really does not surprise me at all in how he treated them within a professional workplace environment. If JW has form of being a narcissist in both his professional & personal life. He must have given the greatest ability within himself not to give a fundamental sh*te in how his treats his staff within that professional capacity.

If you are known as a good director in the TV & movie industry whether in Hollywood or in countries. Nobody working within that field should tolerate what your personal demeanors are when you work with your own colleagues on set.

You must be seen to carry out your work at the highest level of professional competence as possible at all times. That is what makes you a good director in my book. If you can't bring that attitude to the table. Don't give yourself the brass neck to show your true-self afterwards.

You must not lose your **** with someone if you want to clear up a personal issue with them. Your colleagues are people too. They are not expecting you to act or do your work in unprofessional ways while you treat them like bags of dirt for just existing right in front of you.

To be honest, it does not surprise me in the least how they are allowed get away with such behaviour.

And it's certainly not a Hollywood or gender specific deal.

Ask any theatre nurse of their horror stories around some surgeons or kitchen staff vs a head or sous chef.

Anywhere high pressure with no accountability and you'll find these asshats throwing their tantrums

Traditionally with celebrities caught in some kind of personal controversy - especially some kind of abhorrent behaviour - the tactic tends towards some public contrition. Lots of Mea Culpa, talk about reflection, personal growth yada yada. All of course a cynical attempt to restart one's career sure, but I'm also guessing occasionally, it's sincere regret and shame.

That Whedon instead doubled down, insulting and attacking other professionals, makes you wonder what his agent is doing right now. PResumably slamming a sequence of shots, while removing a bunch of meetings from their calendar that was part of Whedon's planned tour of redemption. That has to be Whedon done now as a working professional in the big tiers; Hollywood is quick to forgive all sorts - but slamming professionals is probably too much.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
Advertisement