Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Everything is a racist comment with you people :rolleyes:

Which people? Non-racists?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Everything is a racist comment with you people :rolleyes:

No, not everything - just racist comments are called out as racist comments.

But here's the question that you're avoiding :

Private cars really don't travel faster, but even if they did, do you think they would continue to travel faster if each bus was replaced with an additional 30 - 80 private cars. Just have a think about the space requirements involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Did anyone notice how ridiculously clogged Dublin has been at rush hour this week at rush hour? Cycling home today was like going through a car park. I understand some people need to drive as there's no other option but how they all sit in that crap is beyond me. It's pretty horrible to cycle through too, especially Tara and Pearse St, I feel better after smoking 20 Major than inhaling all that crap. We really need to get cars out of the city by hook or by crook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird, i came past the east link (from the south side) and it was strangely quiet.

weird, i came past the east link (from the south side) and it was strangely quiet.

Was an absolute disaster at around 6 coming from Southside going home to North. Yesterday morning too was mental at around 9am, as if it was pissing rain, sometimes I just can't make sense of traffic patterns in Dublin. It'll all be gone soon anyway when the schools stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, when i say 'strangely quiet', i mean sean moore road was full, but no more than that. it's usually backed up onto the strand road.

btw, when i say 'strangely quiet', i mean sean moore road was full, but no more than that. it's usually backed up onto the strand road.

I don't actually know those roads I come in via Fairview and it's a traffic jam the whole way. 20 years ago when I was going to college it was just as bad, nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I don't actually know those roads I come in via Fairview and it's a traffic jam the whole way. 20 years ago when I was going to college it was just as bad, nothing has changed.
    It was jammers from Phibsborough down to the Liffey (with a brief free flow down Constitution Hill), up past Christchurch and then as far as St Patrick's this evening at around 6. I thought there must have been an accident but I didn't hear about anything.

I enjoyed my gloat on the bike. I'm a very selfish human being, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycling (and driving the odd time), I have noticed traffic really bad this May. I find traffic eases up during this time of year. This week the weather has been grand yet really unexpectedly encountered very heavy traffic.

I think drastic action is now required curtailing cars in Dublin city centre

Breezer wrote: »
    It was jammers from Phibsborough down to the Liffey (with a brief free flow down Constitution Hill), up past Christchurch and then as far as St Patrick's this evening at around 6. I thought there must have been an accident but I didn't hear about anything.

I enjoyed my gloat on the bike. I'm a very selfish human being, clearly.

what with no audiobooks and comfortable chairs and no people coughing and puking everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did anyone notice how ridiculously clogged Dublin has been at rush hour this week at rush hour? Cycling home today was like going through a car park. I understand some people need to drive as there's no other option but how they all sit in that crap is beyond me. It's pretty horrible to cycle through too, especially Tara and Pearse St, I feel better after smoking 20 Major than inhaling all that crap. We really need to get cars out of the city by hook or by crook.
    If it's any consolation, motorists generally take in more pollutants than cyclists in traffic like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Was an absolute disaster at around 6 coming from Southside going home to North. Yesterday morning too was mental at around 9am, as if it was pissing rain, sometimes I just can't make sense of traffic patterns in Dublin. It'll all be gone soon anyway when the schools stop.

Passed it around then as well. Concert on in the Point always backs it up. Turned into ringsend before toll plaza so didn’t see how far back it was

blackwhite wrote: »
    Passed it around then as well. Concert on in the Point always backs it up. Turned into ringsend before toll plaza so didn’t see how far back it was

Tara St must be the worst street in Dublin to cycle on, especially at rush hour, it's a total free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

alentejo wrote: »
    Cycling (and driving the odd time), I have noticed traffic really bad this May. I find traffic eases up during this time of year. This week the weather has been grand yet really unexpectedly encountered very heavy traffic.

I'm very curious about the reasons as well. The evening traffic is especially severe and that's less sensitive to school runs and less likely to reduce over summer.

AA roadwatch must have "Traffic is unexpectedly heavy, no incidents reported" ready to post on twitter every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

amcalester wrote: »
    I know what you mean, like this scumbag: not content will killing a new mother he gets back behind the wheel while banned and over the limit.

We’re all just lucky he didn’t get on a bike, imagine the carnage if he broke a red.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mother-of-tragic-crash-victim-nicola-is-livid-as-truck-driver-is-back-in-court-again-38027480.html
    "Yes, everyone should drive drunk on suspended licenses" said literally no responsible motorist. Ever.
    Seems to me buses are the problem..
    Yes, but not in the way you think. The problems there are complicated but they all boil down to one thing - a lack of investment in public transport.

Most of Dublin's streets are narrow enough, and Trinity being a good square mile or more of no streets right in the heart of the city centre is something that needs to planned around very carefully.

Even accommodating all the buses and everything that used to, the College Street segment used to work relatively well even though it was always a serious pinch point. I remember getting through that area in a taxi quickly enough years ago, even in the height of morning peak. The problem is that its issues were not considered properly if at all when the government decided to build a Luas on-the-cheap through the area instead of starting with the Metro, which can get a great many more people around there area without overloading a key surface pinch point.

The only solution to this problem and similar problems throughout Dublin City and region is to invest HEAVILY in public transport and accommodation, including social housing as needed. No excuses, no ifs ands or buts. The time for f***ing around is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

SeanW wrote:
    The only solution to this problem and similar problems throughout Dublin City and region is to invest HEAVILY in public transport and accommodation, including social housing as needed. No excuses, no ifs ands or buts. The time for f***ing around is over.

Social housing is flying up all over the place.
    You obviously don't live in an area that has any..

Social housing is flying up all over the place.
    You obviously don't live in an area that has any..
    Social housing really isn’t “flying up all over the place”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Dublin is the 6th most congested city in Europe
    DUBLIN IS NOW the 14th most congested city in the world, according to an index which monitors and analyses traffic in major urban centres.
    The 10 most congested cities in Europe are as follows:

1. Moscow, Russia
    2. Istanbul, Turkey
    3. Bucharest, Romania
    4. Saint Petersburg, Russia
    5. Kiev, Ukraine
    6. Dublin, Ireland
    7. Lodz, Poland
    8. Novosibirsk, Russia
    9. Krakow, Poland
    10. Edinburgh, Scotland

I think it's more than mildly embarrassing to find ourselves placed alongside nations that are famously underdeveloped and/or corrupt. When you consider the types of issues that get headlines it's amazing how successive governments manage to avoid being held to account over infrastructure.

sharper wrote: »
    Dublin is the 6th most congested city in Europe

I think it's more than mildly embarrassing to find ourselves placed alongside nations that are famously underdeveloped and/or corrupt. When you consider the types of issues that get headlines it's amazing how successive governments manage to avoid being held to account over infrastructure.

Ireland’s cities are essentially the same as ones mentioned. The big difference is that we have massive FDI and resulting prosperity because we speak English.

No turning back: New CIÉ head ready to get Dublin moving
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/no-turning-back-new-ci%C3%A9-head-ready-to-get-dublin-moving-1.3915643

it was this quote which caught my eye - 30 million? a typo?
    The Department of Transport has put the annual cost of congestion at €30 million, with the potential for it to rise to close on €2 billion by 2031 under a do-nothing scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Interestestingly and tellingly, the new head of CIE is mostly enthusing about property development (new Dundrum at Heuston!) then turns to CIE pensions deficit with the actual transport issues a distant third.

however:
    Given that the three transport companies are effectively independent republics operating on their own, O’Connor’s role as CIÉ’s boss is essentially that of property manager and pension deficit reducer, along with manager of the shared services such as on IT, finance and treasury to the group’s transport subsidiaries.

he looks older than 43 too.

No turning back: New CIÉ head ready to get Dublin moving
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/no-turning-back-new-ci%C3%A9-head-ready-to-get-dublin-moving-1.3915643

it was this quote which caught my eye - 30 million? a typo?

I’ve always wondered why Heuston was so badly utilised. Huge opportunity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

however:

he looks older than 43 too.

More interested in the fact that he doesn't own a car.

Would like this to be the case with more of our politicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

SeanW wrote: »
    "Yes, everyone should drive drunk on suspended licenses" said literally no responsible motorist. Ever.

Yes, but not in the way you think. The problems there are complicated but they all boil down to one thing - a lack of investment in public transport.

Most of Dublin's streets are narrow enough, and Trinity being a good square mile or more of no streets right in the heart of the city centre is something that needs to planned around very carefully.

Even accommodating all the buses and everything that used to, the College Street segment used to work relatively well even though it was always a serious pinch point. I remember getting through that area in a taxi quickly enough years ago, even in the height of morning peak. The problem is that its issues were not considered properly if at all when the government decided to build a Luas on-the-cheap through the area instead of starting with the Metro, which can get a great many more people around there area without overloading a key surface pinch point.

When it comes to any rail scheme, once it gets into any contention, the time for f***ing about has only just begun. Big chunks of Official Ireland just don’t want Rail for anything, full stop.

Advertisement