Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And of course people are gonna moan and throw toys out of pram when the weather went from on holidays on the med weather to basically winter weather and the sad realisation we may not get any more prolonged periods of nice weather as they are so rare here. I'm just extra whingey because it's unlikely I'll be able to escape to Spain like i do every year. Winter doesn't bother me really but poor weather at this time of year really seems to affect my mood. At least it's not as bad out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We had great weather while we are in lockdown. As we make progression out of lockdown it seems the weather is disapproving. The weather has got cooler in the last week with a chance of wetter weather in the next week or so. Chance of thundery weather over next weekend with a bit of warmth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s a bit milder there so that’s a positive but it’s that dark grey dull Irish sky that very very few countries pass off as their summer. The lads on the long range threads are very pessimistic about anything other than the usual 9-16 degrees, cloudy some wet days some dry days nothingness that passes off as our summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It’s a bit milder there so that’s a positive but it’s that dark grey dull Irish sky that very very few countries pass off as their summer. The lads on the long range threads are very pessimistic about anything other than the usual 9-16 degrees, cloudy some wet days some dry days nothingness that passes off as our summer.

We will warm up over the next few weeks but the weather will be quite mixed with rain or showers at times as low pressures will be close to us or over us numerous times. The very cold conditions we've had for the past 2 days will improve and despite the fairly mixed outlook we will have some nice warm spells of sunshine at times. Model watching is quite frustrating at the moment and I think even a return to dry and settled conditions could happen towards the end of this month or possibly sooner with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Beautiful evening here in east Cork. Very pleasant in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy in cork city, mild enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Fabulous evening in Dublin. Yes not the great temperatures of the last few weeks but very pleasant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a lovely evening here in Meath, probably the nicest weather we've had since the dry and warm spell broke last Wednesday. Tomorrow should be similar to current conditions, good drying weather and it will be fairly mild.

Temperatures tomorrow reaching 19C in spells of afternoon sunshine.

arpegeuk-41-28-0.png?07-17

We start to turn more unsettled and cooler from Tuesday with rain at times, mostly light and temperatures back to 10 to 16C. Tomorrow might be the best day of the week as we will generally be fairly cool from Tuesday to Friday with showers or rain at times. Staying unsettled from Friday but a much more humid and warmer air mass will take over from then into the weekend and on into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brightening up now in cork city, some blue sky appearing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Beautiful evening in Dublin , sunshine with gentle breeze. Around 17c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I thought it was a very nice day in D5 today, pleasantly mild and dry and sunny for much of the afternoon / evening. Still waiting on any meaningful rain

beautiful sunny afternoon yesterday up around Dunany and Annagassan Co Louth, right on the coast. Back this morning to local beach a few km away. Sun splitting the stones everywhere so far, even in the garden in south Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Big difference in mean max temps around the country for the first week in June this year, which range from 19.4c at Mount Dillon, to just 13.4c at Malin Hd.

New Moon

Thinking back to this period of the year back in 2014, when we seen what was probably our most thundery spell in quite a number of years (the last such spell I think was back in summer 2009... that I can recall anyway) 4 days of thunder on the trot, with most of them days seeing more than one thunderstorm passing over. Short lived but quite lively affairs each time. Met Eireann maps for June 7th-10th 2014

June 7th:
    sferic_20140607.gif

June 8th:
    sferic_20140608.gif

June 9th:
    sferic_20140609.gif

June 10th:
    sferic_20140610.gif

New Moon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I have to agree 100% with you. Even not considering the atrocity that was February, this has felt like the windiest year (so far) in a while. I thought 2015 was ridiculous enough at the time.

I am curious too about the actual stats for previous January to May/June periods in comparison but February might skew them somewhat given its extremity.

Worth looking into Syran. Stats for the Spring (March-May) period anyway as there did seem to be that constant, getting under your shirt breeze pretty much constantly this Spring. Might take a look at Claremorris & Shannon data. I'll leave the Dublin station to thee, as I image that being located on the east coast, that breeze would have even been more felt given the dominant wind direction for much of the season.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nice here at the moment in east Cork. Lovely in the sun but definitely a touch of coolness in the breeze. Nice overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Lovely day in Dublin 5, sun been splitting the sky all day so far.

Lovely day in Dublin 5, sun been splitting the sky all day so far.

fantastic day, today will probably be the dryest and warmest day of the week, cooler and more cloudy from tomorrow then unsettled from Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

agreed lovely day in Meath and temp quite high when the sun is out in full....Ill take it while its here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Interesting post Gonzo. Especially regarding August in recent times. However August pre the wet summers between 2007-2012 was a decent month. August 2003, 2002, 1995, 1990, 1991, 1984, 1983, 1976, 1979 were very good summer months.

August 2006, 2005, 2004, 2000, 1999, 1994 etc were all reasonable summer months.

It's really since 2007 that these poor Augusts kicked in.

August 1979 was poor... had the infamous Fastnet yacht disaster. I'm sure a typo.

That period 1994 to 2005 was highly unusual with every August in that period having a CET mean max of 20.0C or more.

Did ya know that years ago August was the wettest month of the year on average at Phoenix Park... wetter than October, November or December.

https://twitter.com/SryanBruen/status/1155630558099189761?s=20

• Advertisement

for some reason I don't remember all those decent Augusts between 1994 and 2005, of course I remember 1995 and 2003 but that's about it. I seem to have more memories of decent Septembers!

the current cool spell appears to be affecting not just us but he majority of Europe as well. Temperatures at the moment well below where they should be for a large part of the continent. Over the next week the continent will heat up alot and even we will tap into some of the warmer air as it moves westwards from this weekend. There will be plenty of thunderstorms across the continent next week, we could even see a few sparks here in Ireland with a bit of luck.

temp_eur2.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was cool out by the coast late morning / early afternoon here in Kerry and not bad in the afternoon when the sun came out getting up to 14.4C, after getting very cool again tonight, down now to 10.5C , grand bright evening though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mild but dull and only getting duller I expect.

The pressure charts are a bit less see-saw but you are forced to believe one or the other main forecasting bodies - the GFS is quite optimistic from next Tuesday even though the pressure never gets very high and no clear gradient pattern is established but the ECB is much less hopeful for settled conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

but the ECB is much less hopeful for settled conditions.

Just like they are with the European economy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll leave that for the lols!

a cloudy cool day here in Meath with spits of rain every now and then. We are 1/3rd of the way through June now and rainfall total is sitting at 3.5mm and a mean temperature of 12.1C which is almost 1C below normal for June.

Over the next week I expect that rainfall total to increase by quite a bit and the mean temperature may increase slightly over the next week to 10 days. I'm expecting June to finish significantly wetter than April or May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dissapointing. This day last week it was mid-20s.

515804.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was out on the bike just there, it's bloody cold, needed gloves. I don't know why this surprises me every year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement