Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was out the first week of Feb and in since till yday. Did a bit too much damage yday. Don't want to jinx it but looking like I'll have a pit of silage left so once dry enough I'll try to get heifers out and graze as fast as I can so I'll hopefully have a larger area to graze even if covers are low in April and save having to feed silage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you confident of staying out? I didn't think it was worth bothering with all the rain forecast. Ground would want to be improving around here to be letting them at it whereas it's only going backwards for the next week apparently.

Yeah, I'd be happy enough. No damage done today and will just have them out by day. Picking paddocks that are dry and have good access. Parts of the paddocks are softer than I'd like but the cows were happy outside and happy going in tonight as well.

Let them off in the morning and might bring them in at 12 or 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

29.4L.
    3.4pr.
    4.5bf
    160scc
    4K tbc

Covers of 2000+ but having a little trouble finding the gap.
    Slurry/nitrate season opened on the 1st...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

trixi2011 wrote: »
    What sort of covers you heading into ? Any silage at all in the diet and how much meal

Going into 1000’s for next few days then back to 14-1500.

No silage

4 kg 12% nuts

Going to graze hard and reintroduce silage/wholecrop as required. I find buffer feeding this early upsets them and they’d be standing at the gap with the first sound from the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was going to let my coss out yesterday. Ground still very wet. Even the drier fields are wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Local contractor has five of these tanks ready to roll, but reckons that it’ll be April before he gets started.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

29.4L.
    3.4pr.
    4.5bf
    160scc
    4K tbc

Covers of 2000+ but having a little trouble finding the gap.
    Slurry/nitrate season opened on the 1st...

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Glanbia members would have gotten the message but just in case ye never clicked in.
    Here's the protocols of the coronovirus situation.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/protocol-around-deliveries-and-milk-collection

Basically stay away from the milk and meal and fert drivers and let them do their work.

Local contractor has five of these tanks ready to roll, but reckons that it’ll be April before he gets started.

Pipe used much over there or are the sheds away from where it's needed in most cases?

Glanbia members would have gotten the message but just in case ye never clicked in.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/protocol-around-deliveries-and-milk-collection

Basically stay away from the milk and meal and fert drivers and let them do their work.

Most wouldn't have much contact anyway but straight forward enough advise. If a milk plant ended up closing collection wise it would be serious. Obv health comes first but still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭tanko

That’ll be no problem for one of my neighbors, he has been told that if he goes within 50 yards of any milk collection driver that his milk will never be collected again.

He hasn’t been happy with the timings of his collections in the past to put it mildly.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Most wouldn't have much contact anyway but straight forward enough advise. If a milk plant ended up closing collection wise it would be serious. Obv health comes first but still

I know the haulage company collecting our milk has been training in new drivers these last few weeks. It could be just due to the seasonal increase in milk volume but I'd say the covid situation could have forced a call down from on high.

The ai situation will be next with technicians visiting farms. There'll be no face to face contact recommended either.

I know the haulage company collecting our milk has been training in new drivers these last few weeks. It could be just due to the seasonal increase in milk volume but I'd say the covid situation could have forced a call down from on high.

The ai situation will be next with technicians visiting farms. There'll be no face to face contact recommended either.

Majority of the company collecting our milk has eastern European drivers. Some are only back the last 2 week's as they go home for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Meal delivered Friday, I spoke to him through the window and left him at it as I was at something. Milk is collected during the night so never see him.

Our AI man is great to manage on his own but I like to be there when there's a good few on. Have a whitehead and an AA bull if needs be.

Vet is kind of unavoidable but can be minimized a lot too. Milk recording could be parked for a year I suppose.

Milk collected at 3am here. Only talk to driver about twice a year. Meal delivered. I give the driver a thumbs up. On ai now I assume most farmers do not shake hands with the ai man on each visit so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Say my name do you use ai?

tanko wrote: »
    That’ll be no problem for one of my neighbors, he has been told that if he goes within 50 yards of any milk collection driver that his milk will never be collected again.

He hasn’t been happy with the timings of his collections in the past to put it mildly.

Times all over the shop at the minute but I get the regular drivers number and a txt if either of us are held up or if he needs to change times sorts it most of the time. I've had to delay the odd day but give and take at this time of year.

Today turned to a pure disaster time wise. Had 3 calving during the night, one backwards with legs down but managed to get her out alive and heifer was ok so took that as a nice win for 3 in the morn. Went to bed for a few hours then, fecking knocked over the alarm clock so the time never changed on it and slept in then. Up to a cow down in the cubicle shed, vet out to her, delayed start and lorry came early so ran the quick wash in that before starting and heifer turned herself upside down during milking then. The cow in shed stood thankfully but took her a while to get out to the straw shed. Delivered a nice heifer calf then from another. When I took that cow out to the calving pen never put the chain on the dry cow pen gate and milkers mixed in with them then. Fit to put my head thru a wall tbh. Was thinking I should have just gone thru the night with the night calving but I've done the odd night straight thru and gone to bed after milking in the morning for a bit but with epilepsy even tho well under control I don't like doing that too often. All for the sake of knocking over the fcuking alarm clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was going to go to the local pub tomorrow evening as the oil light is on. But should I go. Are things that bad? Or should I go for a gallon and that would do for two weeks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk collected at 3am here. Only talk to driver about twice a year. Meal delivered. I give the driver a thumbs up. On ai now I assume most farmers do not shake hands with the ai man on each visit so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Say my name do you use ai?
    No i don't use ai. Not for years.
    But I'm still on PG's text/mail list.

We all have crap days. I often wonder wtf am I at. I have crap on farm and off farm. Trying to please people etc. We all need to take a step back and realise we can't do everything right and please everyone.

No i don't use ai. Not for years.
    But I'm still on PG's text/mail list.

So why preach on ai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Mooooo wrote: »
    Times all over the shop at the minute but I get the regular drivers number and a txt if either of us are held up or if he needs to change times sorts it most of the time. I've had to delay the odd day but give and take at this time of year.

Today turned to a pure disaster time wise. Had 3 calving during the night, one backwards with legs down but managed to get her out alive and heifer was ok so took that as a nice win for 3 in the morn. Went to bed for a few hours then, fecking knocked over the alarm clock so the time never changed on it and slept in then. Up to a cow down in the cubicle shed, vet out to her, delayed start and lorry came early so ran the quick wash in that before starting and heifer turned herself upside down during milking then. The cow in shed stood thankfully but took her a while to get out to the straw shed. Delivered a nice heifer calf then from another. When I took that cow out to the calving pen never put the chain on the dry cow pen gate and milkers mixed in with them then. Fit to put my head thru a wall tbh. Was thinking I should have just gone thru the night with the night calving but I've done the odd night straight thru and gone to bed after milking in the morning for a bit but with epilepsy even tho well under control I don't like doing that too often. All for the sake of knocking over the fcuking alarm clock
    Who still uses an alarm clock! Is it one with those two bells on top...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Wildsurfer wrote: »

I have 2 phones, an alarm clock and a wife and I still slept out this morning:D

So why preach on ai?

Not preaching but it'll be the next high intensity job on farm that is just dependent on a very few people if not done by the farmer themselves.
    It's the most critical job/operation of the whole year. Especially for spring only calvers.
    The difference with the milk lorry driver is that contact moving stock with the operative and owner/worker is sometimes required.

Wildsurfer wrote: »

It is actually lol. The phone has nothing loud enough on it and if the phone is turned off charging or the battery goes dead it doesn't go off at all not like the old Nokia's when the alarm would go off even if it was dead with twelve months. This time of year I need something loud

Not preaching but it'll be the next high intensity job on farm that is just dependent on a very few people if not done by the farmer themselves.
    It's the most critical job/operation of the whole year. Especially for spring only calvers.

Why are you worried about something that doesn't affect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

When the cow stands and walks out of the shed herself it can turn a bad day into a pretty good day.

I have 2 phones, an alarm clock and a wife and I still slept out this morning:D

I was reading tb test so was awake all night after getting the review of the tb situation in louth in the post yesterday. No alarm clock needed

Why are you worried about something that doesn't affect you?

A bit of warning I suppose. Being good natured.
    Be the same as posting a weather warning about the west and north of Ireland.
    You're in a lovely humour this evening.

A bit of warning I suppose. Being good natured.
    Be the same as posting a weather warning about the west and north of Ireland.
    You're in a lovely humour this evening.

Why worry people unnecessarily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I was going to go to the local pub tomorrow evening as the oil light is on. But should I go. Are things that bad? Or should I go for a gallon and that would do for two weeks

Theres not much problem with pubs as long as everybody sneezes or coughs into their arm, you don't scratch your nose, ear or wipe your eye or put your fingers in your mouth and you wash your hands properly when you get home
    Just do not ingest virus and stay four feet away from someone coughing
    The issue is you will slip up on this when drunk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement