Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I think Fury signing that song at the end was supposed to show where she got the name from

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Confusingly, 'Captain Marvel' used to be a DC character, sort of, before being renamed to Shazam :D

Fadó fadó, Fawcett Comics printed 'Captain Marvel', which was quite successful & DC sued Fawcett, claiming he was a blatant rip-off of Superman. Which, he kinda is. Eventually, DC won the case and between the settlement & declining sales, Fawcett went out of business. DC acquired the rights in the 70s and brought Marvel back as Shazam (apparently they wanted to call him 'The original Captain Marvel', but Marvel Comics put a stop to that).

On topic, yeah I wish they'd rename the character: 'Captain Marvel' is more than a little hubristic - which was probably the point at the time - but given how semi-seriously the MCU takes itself, the name just doesn't work in context.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

seen this over the weekend. It wasnt bad, but like previous posters have mentioned, it wasnt the greatest mcu movie out there.

I knew it was set in the 90's befoerhand, but my son hadnt a clue until half way through the movie. Did it mention this onscreen anywhere, apart from mentioning when the original accidnet happened?

Didnt enjoy the cat at all. As mentioned earlier, it was a bit men in black like. What happened to the cat since? i mean, surely a govt lab would be conducting some sort of research into what it is.

cm does need someone with a sense of humour to bounce off though, in future movies.

Well crashing into a Blockbuster is a sign...

Well crashing into a Blockbuster is a sign...

Like I said I knew beforehand, and I know what blockbuster was, but my 12 year old hadnt a clue until half way through the movie. And blockbuster to a 12 year old from this side of the atlantic wouldnt register as quickly compared to a 12 year old in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

dusty bin wrote: »
    Like I said I knew beforehand, and I know what blockbuster was, but my 12 year old hadnt a clue until half way through the movie. And blockbuster to a 12 year old from this side of the atlantic wouldnt register as quickly compared to a 12 year old in the states.

Yep, they should have changed it to an Xtra-Vision for us Irish viewers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭El Duda

hqdefault.jpg

Or wacked this on a TV in the background ^

Ah its the 90's so it is!

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yep, they should have changed it to an Xtra-Vision for us Irish viewers :D

wouldnt have made a difference if it was chartbusters or xtra vision either to my 12 year old. My main argument was that at no point, did the movie explain it was 1995 until they referred to an 1989 accident which was apparently 6 years previous. Even Gotg made referrence to the year @ the beginning and then 'present day' or '26 years later' when it showed an adult quill.

apart from the cat, that was my only other issue with the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Went to see this the other night with the kids.

Honestly, we all really enjoyed. The chemistry between Larson and Jackson was great. Plot moved at a good pace and overall the movie was really fun.

My daughter absolutely loved the film, and even commented on that unlike with Wonder Woman, there was no need to force in some silly love story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so Fury's boss
    looks like that alien if he were human? did they have the same accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

post-credits online:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Brie Larson seems to rub people up the wrong way.

Apparently she is not liked generally among the other MCU cast either. Interview clips would appear to back this up!

Be surprised if they get the reported 7 movies with her involvement.

She just seems an unlikeable person.

And having an unlikeable person play a character that needs to establish a fan base quickly seems like not a winning formula.

Movie itself is fine and keeps up the high standard of MCU movies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Given the playground level of gossip around Larson and the MCU, it would precisely as believable if I said "Kermit.de.frog seems to rub people up the wrong way and threads seem to back that up", etc etc. For my money, at least.

No idea where this "she's a bitch" narrative came from, but given she's a great actor I couldn't care less. It seems unlikely to me that this narrative is entirely unrelated to the spate of "a woman said something, and now all our d*cks have fallen off" reactionary nonsense that followed the Captain Marvel film itself.

Fysh wrote: »
    Given the playground level of gossip around Larson and the MCU, it would precisely as believable if I said "Kermit.de.frog seems to rub people up the wrong way and threads seem to back that up", etc etc. For my money, at least.

No idea where this "she's a bitch" narrative came from, but given she's a great actor I couldn't care less. It seems unlikely to me that this narrative is entirely unrelated to the spate of "a woman said something, and now all our d*cks have fallen off" reactionary nonsense that followed the Captain Marvel film itself.

Not in that film, don't know if it was her/direction/script but hated that version of Danvers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have sketchy info as I've only seen her comments in passing, and some of that is snark from RedLetterMedia lol, but I think the backlash against Larsen is that she has come off as clumsily self-righteous, in the manner of your Clooney or Matt Damon fadó fadó.

She has ... I dunno, 'whitesplained' racial discrimination to a black interviewer, and made big speeches that films such as A Wrinkle in Time bombed because critics are all white men (as RLM points out, these same white men championed progressive films such as Moonlight or Tangerine), and I think even tried to reframe a clumsy chatting up in a bar as #metoo adjacent (this is where my own knowledge wobbles, so open to clarification. Seemed like more Aziz Ansari than Weinstein).

Obviously none of that speaks to her relationship with costars, but broadly speaking It seems like she made herself look overly earnest but a bit tone deaf, a quintessential Hollywood or Californian liberal stereotype in the eyes of some. I'd say her heart is in the right place but seems like jumps in with two feet compared with her contemporaries. The Guardians cast did far more, with less words, when they stood up for James Gunn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have sketchy info as I've only seen her comments in passing, and some of that is snark from RedLetterMedia lol, but I think the backlash against Larsen is that she has come off as clumsily self-righteous, in the manner of your Clooney or Matt Damon fadó fadó.

She has ... I dunno, 'whitesplained' racial discrimination to a black interviewer, and made big speeches that films such as A Wrinkle in Time bombed because critics are all white men (as RLM points out, these same white men championed progressive films such as Moonlight or Tangerine), and I think even tried to reframe a clumsy chatting up in a bar as #metoo adjacent (this is where my own knowledge wobbles, so open to clarification. Seemed like more Aziz Ansari than Weinstein).

Obviously none of that speaks to her relationship with costars, but broadly speaking It seems like she made herself look overly earnest but a bit tone deaf, a quintessential Hollywood or Californian liberal stereotype in the eyes of some. I'd say her heart is in the right place but seems like jumps in with two feet compared with her contemporaries. The Guardians cast did far more, with less words, when they stood up for James Gunn.

Overly earnest and slightly eye-rolly is exactly where I'd put it. This being the internet of 2019 though, a loud minority seems determined that battle lines should be drawn over it.

Aside from the injection of her politics she just seems miscast here.

To me she does not fit the character. Her performance at best is stale and uninterested. She seems to have the same "angry mum" look throughout the whole movie.

She just isn't that good here.

Maybe it will improve. Doubt it.

Compare her character to Black Widow/SJ who was brilliantly cast. Point made?

Larson and Captain Marvel are nowhere near as interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but I thought she was terrible in Endgame. I was surprised as I always found her a good actress. Am I right in saying she shot her part in Endgame first? Maybe that partially accounts for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but I thought she was terrible in Endgame. I was surprised as I always found her a good actress. Am I right in saying she shot her part in Endgame first? Maybe that partially accounts for it.

You are correct, she shot her scenes in Endgame first before the script for Captain Marvel was done, and a quick google search says as much.

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/04/07/brie-larson-filmed-avengers-endgame-before-captain-marvel

https://www.accessonline.com/articles/brie-larson-filmed-avengers-endgame-before-she-knew-she-was-captain-marvel

From the accessonline article
    I flew to Atlanta to start shooting, had no idea what I was doing, and I arrived and they gave me a piece of paper…that had a full page of dialogue and action but all of it was redacted except for my one line

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was the after-credits scene from Infinity war that she shot before the Captain Marevel film, not her scenes from Endgame. Hence the "one line".

• Advertisement

It was the after-credits scene from Infinity war that she shot before the Captain Marevel film, not her scenes from Endgame. Hence the "one line".

Well either way she was literally thrown into the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

She was also the odd one out in end game, every other active hero took part in the majority of the film and her contribution was short.

I understand why they had to do it due to the power dynamic but it didn't help her character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Common sense! Spot on.

Calhoun wrote: »
    She was also the odd one out in end game, every other active hero took part in the majority of the film and her contribution was short.

I understand why they had to do it due to the power dynamic but it didn't help her character development.

Wouldn't have been much of a film if Captain Marvel did it all by herself. Though a handy secret weapon to have when **** started going sideways in the rubble of Avengers HQ.

Agree. Also how can you have compelling character development with a character who basically only gets stronger and has no weaknesses??

She is so flawless all she has to do is show up and....roll credits.

Exciting eh?

Agree. Also how can you have compelling character development with a character who basically only gets stronger and has no weaknesses??

Exciting eh?

Same could be said for Hulk, madder he gets, the stronger he gets.

Though we haven't really seen that much bar being manipulated by Scarlet Witch in Age Of Ultron - But he got an arc across the films, and not just the mindless rampaging secret weapon in the back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Exciting eh?

Do what they do in the comics (CW2). Make her the villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been much of a film if Captain Marvel did it all by herself. Though a handy secret weapon to have when **** started going sideways in the rubble of Avengers HQ.

I know but that is fundamentally why she seems off in the film, the only way for her to have played a part is if they could de-power her or something not by much but enough to bring her in line with the others.

I don't know who will be the lead in the MCU going forward but unless they flesh her story out more i find it hard to think it will be her. If i was to pick a female lead i would want to see more of it would be Scarlet Witch.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    and not just the mindless rampaging secret weapon in the back pocket.

I don't like what they did with Hulk myself. He is supposed to be uncontrollable rage.

Instead, and I don't want to get in to it really, but the poison had to be put in there eventually because we can't be having such uncontrolled masculinity these days.

Now Hulk has to care and be careful who he breaks up and be thoughtful and considerate...

Not the characteristics that made Hulk popular. You have Banner for that.

I'm sure some don't mind but can't see Hulk fans being that impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I don't like what they did with Hulk myself. He is supposed to be uncontrollable rage.

Instead, and I don't want to get in to it really, but the poison had to be put in there eventually because we can't be having such uncontrolled masculinity these days.

Now Hulk has to care and be careful who he breaks up and be thoughtful and considerate...

Not the characteristics that made Hulk popular. You have Banner for that.

I'm sure some don't mind but can't see Hulk fans being that impressed.

Prof. Hulk first appeared in the comics in 1991. Its a well established part of the character that he retains the Hulks strength and Banners intellect. I dont know why modern gender politics have to come into it.

Advertisement