Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pter wrote: »
    Prof. Hulk first appeared in the comics in 1991. Its a well established part of the character that he retains the Hulks strength and Banners intellect. I dont know why modern gender politics have to come into it.

Because some people want to see everything as an attack and don't care about the reality of the situation.

Toxic masculinity. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Prof. Hulk first appeared in the comics in 1991. Its a well established part of the character that he retains the Hulks strength and Banners intellect. I dont know why modern gender politics have to come into it.

I loved professor hulk and as said by Ruffalo himself, they intentionally developed him through Infinity and Endgame in lieu of a film of his own.

I am also perplexed what is has to do with social justice politics. I felt it was handled very well and really great character development for Banner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Overly earnest and slightly eye-rolly is exactly where I'd put it. This being the internet of 2019 though, a loud minority seems determined that battle lines should be drawn over it.

Oh invariably it became a battleground, but feels like Larsen can sit alongside Serena Williams as folk whose actions just made things worse. Good intentioned maybe, but picked the wrong target, executed horribly & ultimately fed the beast against "dem liberals" cos the argument was so weak (critics are racist, the umpire was sexist)

But yeah, absolutely none of this speaks to her colleagues onset hating working with Larsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I dont know why modern gender politics have to come into it.

Two words. Brie and Larson. They must have known what they were getting in the gender politics department when they cast her as Captain Marvel no less to be fair.

Her own bizarre statements really kicked all that off.

It wasn't irrate fans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't like what they did with Hulk myself. He is supposed to be uncontrollable rage.

Instead, and I don't want to get in to it really, but the poison had to be put in there eventually because we can't be having such uncontrolled masculinity these days.

Now Hulk has to care and be careful who he breaks up and be thoughtful and considerate...

Not the characteristics that made Hulk popular. You have Banner for that.

I'm sure some don't mind but can't see Hulk fans being that impressed.

Professor Hulk is an established character in the comics and has been tackled a few times, quite popularly too - in fact Endgame was the first film to get Hulk and Banner right. It's a fairly obvious plot arc for a characters whose ENTIRE POINT is the duality of his existence. Maybe even a ... wait for it, Jekyll and Hyde persona perhaps?

Nothing to do with politics, take a breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Two words. Brie and Larson. They must have known what they were getting in the gender politics department when they cast her as Captain Marvel no less to be fair.

So hulk is guilty by association?

So hulk is guilty by association?

Not at first. I don't recall people complaining.

And I personally couldn't care less as I have never been a big Hulk fan.

But when the person who is annointed apparently (though we'll see how long it lasts) to take it all forward as the lead makes the kind of statements she does then naturally it makes people retrospectively consider whether there is an agenda.

She is the one digging although it wouldn't surprise me at all if in private she has gotten a little wrap on the knuckles by the studio to be a bit more measured in her statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think you are making false equivalences and filling in the gaps to suit your viewpoint but that's your right. I just disagree with you tying the Prof hulk character to gender politics.

Not at first. I don't recall people complaining.

And I personally couldn't care less as I have never been a big Hulk fan.

And if you were, you would have known that Professor Hulk was an interesting spin on the character who has informed many iterations since 1991. That actual fans were over the moon when he appeared. But no, let's blather about agendas some more, that's always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I enjoyed the Professor Hulk reveal in Endgame, even though I've no knowledge of the comics, but put 2+2 together eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brie Larson is an immensely talented actress, and her past work is more impressive than a lot of the MCU regulars (although Unicorn Store shows she mightn’t be quite as confident behind the camera yet :/). I cannot speak for her personality, and certainly not going to judge her one way or the other based on gossip. Would certainly agree she’s made a few naive or cringey public remarks.

But there is a problem in the US with prominent, influential women being dismissed as ‘unlikeable’. You see it a lot with Elizabeth Warren, for example. There does tend to be something of a gender imbalance when it comes to this. I mean, Ruffalo, Evans and Cheadle are all consistently outspoken - sometimes awkwardly so, and usually in that same ‘Hollywood liberal’ way (although Ruffalo seems more firmly aligned to the left). But definitely haven’t seen them come under as much scrutiny as Larson. Add to that the usual raging sexists on YouTube and the like doing their best to distort the conversation - lending an undercurrent of bad faith to many of these debates. I’ve seen at least one YouTube channel with seemingly dozens of videos attacking Larson or this film to the point of creepy derangement.

Again, I’m not in a position to verify any of the rumours or speculation about Larson - it’s any of our guesses what she’s like in person. Captain Marvel isn’t her finest hour as an actress, mostly down to the material. But she has faced far more backlash and scrutiny than any MCU cast members before her under flimsy pretexts. That’s more a general observation about the general online conversation than anything here, I hasten to add.

pixelburp wrote: »
    And if you were, you would have known that Professor Hulk was an interesting spin on the character who has informed many iterations since 1991. That actual fans were over the moon when he appeared. But no, let's blather about agendas some more, that's always fun.

It's your right to disagree.

Again when you parachute a new character in and that actress makes the statements she makes about "white men" even if you fundamentally disagree about agendas you must acknowledge it is at best a foolish thing to do.

It's your right to disagree.

Again when you parachute a new character in and that actress makes the statements she makes about "white men" even if you fundamentally disagree about agendas you must acknowledge it is at best a foolish thing to do.

It's not a new character. The blurring lines between Hulk and Banner were there in Ragnorok (hell arguably since 2012 and the fantastic "I'm always angry" admission), and like I said has existed since 91 as a very beloved character most fans were hoping would appear. Getting whalloped by Thanos was obviously a path towards the two sides finally finding some commonality.

Up until then Hulk was a brainless battering ram, or agent of chaos for contrived infighting (see Age of Ultron). Talk to a fan of Hulk and they'll say "there's more to him than a raging Jeckyll knock off." Nothing was parachuted, Hulk was vastly underwritten.

You obviously have some bee in your bonnet about Larsen but conflating that with a boilerplate character is borderline conspiracy theory. And just incorrect.

this was ok, larsen is good, the feminism doesnt spoil it

they struggled badly with how to handle her powers in endgame but thats the nature of it

Brie Larson is an immensely talented actress, and her past work is more impressive than a lot of the MCU regulars (although Unicorn Store shows she mightn’t be quite as confident behind the camera yet :/). I cannot speak for her personality, and certainly not going to judge her one way or the other based on gossip. Would certainly agree she’s made a few naive or cringey public remarks.

But there is a problem in the US with prominent, influential women being dismissed as ‘unlikeable’. You see it a lot with Elizabeth Warren, for example. There does tend to be something of a gender imbalance when it comes to this. I mean, Ruffalo, Evans and Cheadle are all consistently outspoken - sometimes awkwardly so, and usually in that same ‘Hollywood liberal’ way (although Ruffalo seems more firmly aligned to the left). But definitely haven’t seen them come under as much scrutiny as Larson. Add to that the usual raging sexists on YouTube and the like doing their best to distort the conversation - lending an undercurrent of bad faith to many of these debates. I’ve seen at least one YouTube channel with seemingly dozens of videos attacking Larson or this film to the point of creepy derangement.

Again, I’m not in a position to verify any of the rumours or speculation about Larson - it’s any of our guesses what she’s like in person. Captain Marvel isn’t her finest hour as an actress, mostly down to the material. But she has faced far more backlash and scrutiny than any MCU cast members before her under flimsy pretexts. That’s more a general observation about the general online conversation than anything here, I hasten to add.

I would say a big problem is how the American left, right and center (if it exists interact). Its a constant back and forth between both sides, i think Larson is getting it because of the publicity that the press put around the film in general and the pedestal Marvel was put on.

After that it was easier for both sides of the political argument to start point scoring based on her arguments ect.

I also think that a key factor of why she has come up against so much crap is the year that it is. The political divide in america seems to have polarized allot since the beginning of the MCU and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It's not a new character. The blurring lines between Hulk and Banner were there in Ragnorok (hell arguably since 2012 and the fantastic "I'm always angry" admission), and like I said has existed since 91 as a very beloved character most fans were hoping would appear. Getting whalloped by Thanos was obviously a path towards the two sides finally finding some commonality.

Up until then Hulk was a brainless battering ram, or agent of chaos for contrived infighting (see Age of Ultron). Talk to a fan of Hulk and they'll say "there's more to him than a raging Jeckyll knock off." Nothing was parachuted, Hulk was vastly underwritten.

You obviously have some bee in your bonnet about Larsen but conflating that with a boilerplate character is borderline conspiracy theory. And just incorrect.

If you haven't tried The Immortal Hulk yet, I'd recommend it. Plays to the horror element of the character, it's superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

If you haven't tried The Immortal Hulk yet, I'd recommend it. Plays to the horror element of the character, it's superb.

It's not a new character.

I meant Captain Marvel as the new character in MCU.

Think you need to re read the post as you missed the point. It was Larson herself who stirred things up with her own statements.

It wasn't the fans or deranged people in their bedrooms.

As to being "unlikeable", obviously we only have some interviews to go on. It could be all nonsense and they get on great. Let's be real though the one with Cheadle didn't look good at all...

In terms of her portrayal in CM though leaving aside all the other stuff I didn't think she pulled it off well. I mean she was ok I guess if ok is what counts for good here. Meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I really enjoyed this film. And I can remember it. I’ve seen most of the mcu films and they’re great but for the most part weirdly forgettable, some of them.

This one stood out though. Maybe cos it isn’t the usual marvel cookie cutter conveyer belt thing?

Reading the thread it seems I’m mostly alone with this thinking. But horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I Finally caught it a day or two before Endgame.

It is up there in terms of forgettable MCU movies, but is not a bad movie. Probably a 6 or 7/10 for me.

Loved Goose, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

I'm guessing that's based on the T2 scene. What a load of dung.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That must have been done in reshoots in response to online complaints about Larson not smiling in the trailer. It's too on the nose not to have been. At least they had the sense not to use it. Or maybe it was done just to advertise the Blu-ray and for its meme potential.

The Don?

Yikes for that alone I can see why they dropped it. All the subtly of a punch to the face. No idea if the "you should smile more" comment is known among Irish women, think it's more a noted commonality of accidental chauvinism stateside anyway.

Funny, I had thought the theatrical cut of that scene always felt wrong, as the biker was a douche but barely warranted his bike being stolen. At least here it feels more justified, as clumsy as the scene is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

What's wrong with that scene?

silverharp wrote: »

Comment showing below it is hilarious lol.

https://twitter.com/MadLutian/status/1132139839544074240

Is Larson supposed to be the new lead for the MCU? they are going to have a bad time if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That must have been done in reshoots in response to online complaints about Larson not smiling in the trailer. It's too on the nose not to have been. At least they had the sense not to use it. Or maybe it was done just to advertise the Blu-ray and for its meme potential.

Scene they used wasn't much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

https://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-captain-marvel/

The red letter media review is pretty much on the money.

Fairly forgettable movie and Larson was bland in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The bit after the credits was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A cat coughing is nice?

Advertisement