Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a court Summons for illegal plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Catching people with illegal plates is not my highest priority but it does give me an excuse to stop and speak to a driver. There are annoying too with white on black, italics and it can also make them hard to read too especially for cars towards me. It does seem a bit harsh to get done on the plates alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

why is this in the Model Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sorry, Model and Motors were fairly close. I've asked a mod to change it but no sign of it going anywhere :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You'll never get out!
    Some come to this forum by accident, and they stay here forever ! :p
    Muh hah hah hah !!!!
    Music for "Deliverence" jangles away in background ....... :D

Damn it, I've never unsubscribed from my own threads but I think I may have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a rule just like every other rule...

I wish the cops would clamp down on smaller things like not indicating or driving too slow...

This country is full of chancer's and the roads are dispicable because of them...

Now I don't follow all the rules myself...

for example some speed limits are ridiculous...

Bad number plates - stick the fella to the wall.

Disobeying speed limits - no big deal.

Douchebag.

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    Webmonkey, I called you an idiot in my first post which was a response to your first post (and I stand by it!). Which you are now saying was a rash one so dont be getting precious when someone calls you an idiot.

Its my last post on the subject some people need to stop being so precious when they are challenged.

[ ] Was Ciaran_Dub's last post on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

get on to the garda ombudsman right away. they take this kind of thing seriously!
    In the words of the Clash " I fought the law and the law won! "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bad number plates - stick the fella to the wall.

Disobeying speed limits - no big deal.

Douchebag.

I can see that you are going to be someone who's capable of having a debate on real issues in the future in a mature way - Douchebag. :P

Bad number plates - Good reason why there illegal.

Speed limits - Most of them not thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

syl77 wrote: »
    In the words of the Clash " I fought the law and the law won! "

i thought that was colm farrel:D

• Advertisement

I can see that you are going to be someone who's capable of having a debate on real issues in the future in a mature way - Douchebag. :P

Bad number plates - Good reason why there illegal.

Speed limits - Most of them not thought out.

Man how you can give someone grief over having non-standard license plates and then defend breaking speed limits beggars belief.

Thank god you're stuck in here playing with dinky cars instead of out on the roads where you'd probably kill someone.

If anyone else agrees with you that bad license plates are worse than speeding you have no idea how happy I would be to hear their reasoning.

Man how you can give someone grief over having non-standard license plates and then defend breaking speed limits beggars belief.

Thank god you're stuck in here playing with dinky cars instead of out on the roads where you'd probably kill someone.

If anyone else agrees with you that bad license plates are worse than speeding you have no idea how happy I would be to hear their reasoning.

Some laws should be changed or modified. Some should stay how they are like bad number plates being illegal.

Many roads in Ireland have a limit of 60. In the UK it would be 70 on some of the same types of roads. There is a motorist group in the UK campaigning to get the limit on the some roads increased to 80.

Unfortunately due to a minority of idiots that break that limit here in Ireland while being incompetent drivers (hence crashing) it doesn't look like we are going to make any "progress" on the roads in Ireland anytime soon. Put that down to our licensing system.

Here we go again. Just leave out the bull please. And by the way I don't know of one person on this forum who's into dinky cars. Keep the insults to yourself...this forum is for people into radio controlled flying or modelling which are hobbies for adults or teenagers and not toys for children.

The law is the law. Breaking the speed limit is illegal.

FYP.
    Some laws should be changed or modified. Some should stay how they are like bad number plates being illegal.

According to you...

Do you notice how this conflicts with your earlier statement that "The law is the law" ?

Actually, I'm going to fix your post again in light of this:-
    The law is the law when it suits workaccount. At all other times, the law is not the law. For example, when the imposes a speed limit that work account disagrees with. This is in no way a contradiction.
    Unfortunately due to a minority of idiots that break that limit here in Ireland while being incompetent drivers (hence crashing) it doesn't look like we are going to make any "progress" on the roads in Ireland anytime soon.

[X] Hilarious self-deprecation
    [ ] Diliberate self-deprecation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

This thread is so just ridicolus!

So much crap, so little time to reply!

Personally I wouldn't drive with anything but standard number plates, not worth the hassle of something like this happening, but if Op get fined the guts of €2500 for having non standard number plates (full size ones) then there is something seriously wrong with the laws on our roads. According to here the max fine you can get for speeding is €800, is having dodgey number plates 3 times the crime!!? :eek:

I wouldnt be suprised if the Ops car was one of the reasons for him getting summoned. My Dad had a Lexus about 7-8 years ago and it came with non standard plates, had it for 4 years before he changed them and only changed them becuase of NCT. One gaurd mentioned to him once but said nothing about it really. And this was with rackign up serious milleage so they would have been seen plenty of times by Guards.

Ciaran you have made crap post after crap post after crap post... I've never seen someone talk so much sh1te on boards (and thats saying something!)
    Welcome to my ignore list... Population YOU

This thread is so just ridicolus!

I beg to differ - I've been a member of many interweb forums over the years, and this one loses out only just to one or two off the threads in News, Views and Gossip on 2+2 for hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lotus791

mmmm......i dont know who is more stupid ,me for reading through all this crap or you guys for writing it .... but keep up the good work !

ps you havent slagged the guard who posted yet lol !!!!!!

I have I called him a prick - edit - not that gaurd no - he/she nice

lotus791 wrote: »
    mmmm......i dont know who is more stupid ,me for reading through all this crap or you guys for writing it

I've asked around - it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ROFL :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

I think webmonkey's point is the guard could have been polite. If you get stopped up north the cop will greet you with a hello and ask you do you know the reason you were stopped. Down here you are guilty of something no matter what. The guards need some public relation training and then people will have more respect for them.

• Advertisement

and there was me lol not picking on an individual basis.....i guess when the shoe fits it hurts eh keane.

and there was me lol not picking on an individual basis.....i guess when the shoe fits it hurts eh keane.

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Models-the only forum un-moderated:D

well at least everyone got a bit of banter and thats what half the forums are missing .and lets face it ,its the most used tipic on here in months lol

Plug wrote: »
    Models-the only forum un-moderated:D
    Considering my thread has being stuck in this dull douchebag infested part of boards for the last 5 days - I have to agree

well at least everyone got a bit of banter and thats what half the forums are missing .and lets face it ,its the most used tipic on here in months lol

I know I enjoyed it.

I applaud your attitude sir.

FYP.

According to you...

Do you notice how this conflicts with your earlier statement that "The law is the law" ?

Actually, I'm going to fix your post again in light of this:-

[X] Hilarious self-deprecation
    [ ] Diliberate self-deprecation

Ok now to get back to this. The theme of this post is based on one sentence I posted by mistake but which was then edited before you even replied.

If you want to be pedantic there are old laws in this country if you google that are damn strange. There the law though - are you going to break them?

I'm not going to follow ill thought rules here there and everywhere if there pointless (eg. You have to go about 40km/h for a long distance outside Claregalway on a brand new wide road with 3 whole lanes becuase there are houses planted about the place sporadically) because quite frankly I'm not a sheep. The whole road and driver system in this country needs massive reform and most would agree (especially over on the motors forum)

Ok now to get back to this. The theme of this post is based on one sentence I posted by mistake but which was then edited before you even replied.

If you want to be pedantic there are old laws in this country if you google that are damn strange. There the law though - are you going to break them?

I'm not going to follow ill thought rules here there and everywhere if there pointless (eg. You have to go about 40km/h for a long distance outside Claregalway on a brand new wide road with 3 whole lanes becuase there are houses planted about the place sporadically) because quite frankly I'm not a sheep. The whole road and driver system in this country needs massive reform and most would agree (especially over on the motors forum)

Ok all that is fine by me.

If you can finish the following paragraph to my satisfaction I'll consider the whole issue more or less closed (unless ciaran_dub decides to waddle back in and froth all over the place again):-

You think some speed limit laws are stupid and decide not to abide by them. I think some license plate laws are stupid and decide not to abide by them. The difference is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Ok all that is fine by me.

If you can finish the following paragraph to my satisfaction I'll consider the whole issue more or less closed (unless ciaran_dub decides to waddle back in and froth all over the place again):-

You think some speed limit laws are stupid and decide not to abide by them. I think some license plate laws are stupid and decide not to abide by them. The difference is.....

Its impossible to conceive that breaking a speed limit which can potentially lead to deaths, is a remotely similar crime as having the illegal number plates that the OP has.

• Advertisement

Oil stove for sale. Click here to view.

Top of the range headphones for sale. Click here to view.

What's your best price on the stove by the way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement