Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a court Summons for illegal plates

Options
  • 03-08-2008 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

<snip> - Rather get rid of it :) - was a bit over the top.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm seriously pissed off - went to cork to a 21st just to say hi and give him a card. Was going along to park my car and I meet cops. They stand out in the middle of the road and ask me to pull in. This is before they could even see I had illegal number plates - (Just because my car looks boyracerish - MG ZS)

Anyways, have I ever met such a prick in my life - First he goes asking when I baught my car, do I own the car. Next he has a good look around and says number plates illegal. Fair enough - I want to change them soon but never got around to it yet. They were on it from day one when I baught it. I said i'll change them ASAP (as in bank holiday weekend now so not until tuesday) - He treats this as a smart comment and says back ASAP sarcastically back to me.

It gets worse, I look over to the passenger I was carrying once or twice and he asks why I looking at the passenger? - Then he goes and tries to say that the car actually belonged to him and I driving it illegally? - I mean wtf.

Next he goes asking was the black kenwood banner on top of my windscreen on it from day one? - Are they actually illegal? - whats the got to do with anything?

Then he says expect a summons in the post 2 months time after confirming that the address on my full drivers license (penalty free too) was where I was living currently.

Surely he was bluffing with the summons? - I thought they must give you at least a warning - and ask you to display legal plates within so many days.

I swear, things are so corrupt - there are people being stabbed, people drink driving - and if this wasn't a bluff, I must take a bloody day off work/college to say "Yes the plates are changed"

I don't care but I think its a bloody disgrace - Obviously I know i shouldn't have illegal plates, but this is no way to go about it.

Sorry about the rant, I'm fairly annoyed - decided to go way home afterwords. Night spoiled.

Edit: - Can mod move this to Motors or somewhere a bit more appropriate - thought I was in motors.

It's a rule just like every other rule. I wish the cops would clamp down on smaller things like not indicating or driving too slow.

Resources have to be given to everything not just murder and rape cases you know.

What if the all the cops were taken off everyday things like your own...what kind of state would the roads be in?

You sound like you knew the plates were illegal already and didn't bother to get it sorted so why do you deserve a chance? This country is full of chancer's and the roads are dispicable because of them.

Now I don't follow all the rules myself...for example some speed limits are ridiculous but small plates is just stupid and asking for trouble and most people that have them are little idiots that drive around in their sh*tty cars.

I'm not putting you in that category because you said you were going to change them but you got everything you deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Typical attitude from someone caught doing something wrong (driving on illegal plates) and bitching and moaning about it.

You dont mention what time of day or night this is but the Garda has every right to treat you as suspicious if you keep looking at your passenger. Its not a safe job for them and considering one cop was shot last year while doing a routine stop during morning rush hour traffic they are all a little more nervous now about it.

Yes he can summons you he does not have to give you a warning it is up to the Garda and how you reacted to him. You mention what you said to him about the bank holiday but he may well have thought you were getting smart with him by your tone of voice.

You also dont say how long you have had the car, it makes a difference becuase if you bought it that day fair enough but if you have had it more then a couple of days you had plenty of time to change them. Also did you not enquire where the original plates where when you bought the car. Kinda foolish thing not to enquire dont you think!!!!

Simple fact is you got caught with illegal plates, Garda was well with in his rights to pull you (Oh and who says when he pulled you he didnt already know you had illegal plates on!)) and yet you bitch and moan. Road Traffic violations need to be attended to as much as any other crime. To add to that you would be bitching and moaning if your tax was out and a Garda was hassling you. All because you think the Gardai's only job is to go after the big crimes!

You got what you deserved now dry your eyes and take your punishment if and when it comes.

Oh just to ask you a question, do you have any idea why there is a standard for plates?? have a think about it and ask yourself whould I keep my illegals on. And WorkAccount you said everything i wanted too just in less words, I really hate idiots like the OP

/Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I didn't say anything about the bank holiday weekend, but thats what I meant with asap - What can I do?
    Sorry I was in a rage lastnight - wreaked tired, drove ~300 miles during the day and didn't see a gaurd, then get stuck like that.
    I'm changing them as soon as I can get them now, I never thought it was cool to have them but never bothered changing them. Will do now.

I had no tone what so ever with the gaurd, as a matter fact I was very quiet and shook bout it - never said anything back to him, just accepted it.

Clearly I know why there are standard plates and don't call me an idiot.

I just think the way the Gaurd went about things was a bit harsh - especially when people get away with a lot worse things.
    most people that have them are little idiots that drive around in their sh*tty cars. I'm not putting you in that category because you said you were going to change them but you got everything you deserved.

Thanks for not putting me in this category because I'm well far from it. My car is far from a ****ty car - I spent a lot of money in it and went far to get it as they quite rare - its being treated as a boyracer is what annoys me just because my car has a spoiler on it.

Clearly I know why there are standard plates and don't call me an idiot.

its being treated as a boyracer is what annoys me just because my car has a spoiler on it.

I wont be apologising for calling you an idiot because clearly you are one. You fail to leave a lot of information out in your rant then come on saying you were tired and this that and the other, you still just cant accept you were caught with thema dn take your punishment.

Your last statement tops it all off, you made reference to it in your first post that its not a boy racer car, you trying to make out the Gardai thought it was.

Listen mate take the chip of your shoulder and end it with the persecution complex. You got your slap on the wrists and deserved it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    .... /Rant ......

LOL new HTML I didn't see before ! :pac:

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    LOL new HTML I didn't see before ! :pac:

Sorry bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure!!!

Why exactly am I an idiot? - why don't you come off your high horse.

About enquiring about the plates from the buyer - how the hell do you know if I enquired or not - I havn't come across such a jugemental person in a long time. If one didn't what difference does it make - anyone can go out and buy a set of plates.

What workaccount said was fair and non judgmental - you on the other hand...

Why exactly am I an idiot? - why don't you come off your high horse.

About enquiring about the plates from the buyer - how the hell do you know if I enquired or not - I havn't come across such a jugemental person in a long time. If one didn't what difference does it make - anyone can go out and buy a set of plates.

What workaccount said was fair and non judgmental - you on the other hand...

If you read my post you would find I was asking you did you enquire. As far as I am aware its not just as simple as going in and buying a plate you must produce your log book or license cert. I will stand corrected on that but I know in the past you had too!

I am judgemental cause you are on bitching and moaning about the Gardai doing their job when you are clearly in the wrong and that sir is how you are an idiot. I have seen it so many times on different forums, oh the cops pulled me for not having correct plates/tax/insurance dont they have anything better to do then pull me. The whole irish wow is me attitude is pathetic. Would you like me to expand further.

oh and please read my posts in future before you start throwing accusations around!

No you don't have to produce anything, Ive got plates before and you just walk in and ask for them.

I'm not bitching that I should get away with it, but it annoyed me on how he approached the whole thing. He treated me like I was a right fcuker. He could have just given me the summons and shut up, but instead he tried to rise me hoping Id get angry. Thats what I'm getting angry about - I've no problem changing plates and paying fine - I deserve that. Bit sickening having to go to court though just to pay it.

No you don't have to produce anything, Ive got plates before and you just walk in and ask for them.

I'm not bitching that I should get away with it, but it annoyed me on how he approached the whole thing. He treated me like I was a right fcuker. He could have just given me the summons and shut up, but instead he tried to rise me hoping Id get angry. Thats what I'm getting angry about - I've no problem changing plates and paying fine - I deserve that. Bit sickening having to go to court though just to pay it.

Again you are jumping to conclusions of the Garda, like I said one guy in Dublin was shot during a regular stop in morning rush hour traffic. Are you still wondering why he kept questioning you. That is a Gardas job that is how they do the job. If he had any bad feeling about you he is going to grill you. How do you think they get suspected rapists and such other serious criminals by giving them a good grilling if they have anything to hide they crack and break. You still just cant accept you were wrong and the Garda was just doing his job.

Oh and as for being judgemental, you come on an internet forum bitching about what happened to you and then start complaining cause someone didnt say "Ah god you poor thing do you need a huig!" like I said get a tissue and dry your eyes.

• Advertisement

This is just gone stupid - there was two other sound lads in the car and they couldn't believe the way he was acting so it wasn' tjust me. You wern't there so you can't act the expert in the matter.

Oh yeah, I didn't start complaining after someone didn't say blah blah but you just going way over board.

Grilling a person for having a sporty looking car is a bit different than grilling people for suspected rapists - oh wait, no having illegal number plates is a very serious crime indeed. Its a crime yes but I don't think it gave that garda the right to act how he was.

I think this attacking has gone far enough.

I never once made out I was there. What I was doing was trying to givie a balanced opinion to the discussion. You came onto an internet forum having a bitch but when someone doesnt agree with you or support you, you take it as an attack. Dont be so precious!

I had no problem with workaccount - they were fair, but you started calling me an idiot from the begining - My OP was a bit over top alright to be fair but don't think calling me an idiot was not called for. I really do think this is gone far enough -

In fairness I think webmonkey has more clarity on the issue now and see's that he was in the wrong.

Ciaran: I think you've made your point at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I think its good that you are accepting the fact that you had illegal plates on your car, that you are in agreement that you should pay the fine, I hate the stupid small number plates, I see the guards point but they really do abuse their position at times- obviously none of us were there but I see both your side OP and Ciaran Dub!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I think its good that you are accepting the fact that you had illegal plates on your car, that you are in agreement that you should pay the fine, I hate the stupid small number plates, I see the guards point but they really do abuse their position at times- obviously none of us were there but I see both your side OP and Ciaran Dub!
    I hate the small numer plates too but this was a proper size, font was even bigger than standard ones - Would have changed them first thing if they were those small ones. Anyways I drove 30mins away there to try get number plates, but as I expected, shop closed until Monday.

Webmonkey, I called you an idiot in my first post which was a response to your first post (and I stand by it!). Which you are now saying was a rash one so dont be getting precious when someone calls you an idiot.

Its my last post on the subject some people need to stop being so precious when they are challenged.

Webmonkey, I called you an idiot in my first post which was a response to your first post (and I stand by it!). Which you are now saying was a rash one so dont be getting precious when someone calls you an idiot.

Its my last post on the subject some people need to stop being so precious when they are challenged.

Ciaran: Calling someone an idiot as much as it can be nice to do it is no way to win an argument or make a point.

It just breeds contempt.

If you feel that way you should still be a little more tactful or else not bother posting at all as it's just looking for argument and will probably result in you getting a ban.

Workaccount: If I just called him and idiot and didnt back it up with some arguements then I would say fine. A banning? if thats the case so be it but it would jsut prove the reputation these boards have with people.Like I said I didnt just call him an idiot I made a constructive arguement to go with it and again I will say based on his original post which he now is backing down on!

Oh and workaccount I wasnt calling him an idiot to win an arguement. Maybe you should go back and read my posts again!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hard luck, as you said, there are worse out there, but they caught you. Have you seen the size of the fine for illegal plates? It's up to €1265. For each plate! :eek:

Saying that, I haven't heard of anyone getting hit that hard. Change them asap as you're doing, and try to speak to the desk sargeant (is that what they're called) to see can you get it sorted before any possible summons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Out of interest, *how* illegal were the plates? For ages I had 'donegal standard' (bolder letters, no dashes, but black on white with eurostrip and county name as gaelige) plates and went through feck knows how many checkpoints without hassle. Changed them for the NCT though, and have those 'legal' ones on now.

If they were similar to that, its absolutely petty of the Guards to bother considering they're legible, number plate recognitionable, etc, etc. If they were wrong colours or whatever, fair cop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You were in the wrong and you got done.

Pay up and move on.

(And post your rant in the correct forum next time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

T-Maxx wrote: »

(And post your rant in the correct forum next time.)

ah for god sake get over yourself, he already asked for mods to move it to the appropriate forum!

MYOB wrote: »
    number plate recognitionable

But that is a point, even if its correct font but wrong size it may not work under the new in car system that are being deployed in the squad cars.

So you may say "ah sure they look about right" but it my not work with the number plate recognition system. It is something I must check out.

Out of interest, *how* illegal were the plates? For ages I had 'donegal standard' (bolder letters, no dashes, but black on white with eurostrip and county name as gaelige) plates and went through feck knows how many checkpoints without hassle. Changed them for the NCT though, and have those 'legal' ones on now.

If they were similar to that, its absolutely petty of the Guards to bother considering they're legible, number plate recognitionable, etc, etc. If they were wrong colours or whatever, fair cop...
    This is it, you can quite make out the number plate. The spoiler has being replaced with the proper one now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56139136&postcount=706
    Ciran_Dub wrote:
    But that is a point, even if its correct font but wrong size it may not work under the new in car system that are being deployed in the squad cars.

So you may say "ah sure they look about right" but it my not work with the number plate recognition system. It is something I must check out.

Yeah I can understand that - makes since if they even launch this new system. Is it already in operation?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is it, you can quite make out the number plate. The spoiler has being replaced with the proper one now.

Looks... OKish from that photo.

Looks... OKish from that photo.
    Yeah its not the worse, but obviously they still illegal. Changing them ASAP now anyways.

Yeah I can understand that - makes since if they even launch this new system. Is it already in operation?

It is in the process of bein rolled out and should be almost complete by the end of the year from the details I have been given. It had a role out as a pilot scheme in a number of districts around the country, which were extremely successful.Not only at catching ppl with no tax or insurance but placing known criminals in the vicinty of some serious crimes.

Webmonkey apologies if you took offence to my comments but the reason I got so annoyed at your first post was simple. You made the same whine and moan a lot of people dowhen caught in the wrong by the Gardai. The usual why cant he be off catching real criminal arguements. The simple fact is the Gardai hate dealing with minor crap like that because the time it takes to deal with paper work, plus they themselves have to land in court if they summons you so further time wasted. When of course this time could be spent in a much better place and be a lot more productive.

So can you see why I got annoyed?

It is in the process of bein rolled out and should be almost complete by the end of the year from the details I have been given. It had a role out as a pilot scheme in a number of districts around the country, which were extremely successful.Not only at catching ppl with no tax or insurance but placing known criminals in the vicinty of some serious crimes.

Webmonkey apologies if you took offence to my comments but the reason I got so annoyed at your first post was simple. You made the same whine and moan a lot of people dowhen caught in the wrong by the Gardai. The usual why cant he be off catching real criminal arguements. The simple fact is the Gardai hate dealing with minor crap like that because the time it takes to deal with paper work, plus they themselves have to land in court if they summons you so further time wasted. When of course this time could be spent in a much better place and be a lot more productive.

So can you see why I got annoyed?
    Thanks :) - All is well now, have accepted it and calmed down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

wheather you were in the wrong or not...the garda has no right to speak to you in an abropt manner...if you feel he did...get on to the garda ombudsman right away. they take this kind of thing seriously!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement