Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rew wrote: »
    I asked a friend in telco land and he reckoned comreg don't allow it under their current rules and they will have to change that before the networks will support the devices. Only 10 countries support eSIM so far.
    Comreg have nothing to do with the telcos not supporting the cellular Apple watch. eSims are in use in Ireland, in the iPad. The telcos have their own reasons for not wanting to support the Apple watch, any who claim it's Comreg's fault are just BSing you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Johnmb wrote: »
    Comreg have nothing to do with the telcos not supporting the cellular Apple watch. eSims are in use in Ireland, in the iPad. The telcos have their own reasons for not wanting to support the Apple watch, any who claim it's Comreg's fault are just BSing you.

I didn't say it was eSIMs, my understanding is its the dupe numbers. Where can you use an eSIM with an iPad and an Irish carrier btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rew wrote: »
    I didn't say it was eSIMs, my understanding is its the dupe numbers. Where can you use an eSIM with an iPad and an Irish carrier btw?
    Three come up as options on my iPad, AlwaysOnline, GigSky, and Truphone. They may be virtual carriers, but it means that eSims can be used in Ireland, the main telcos simply choose not to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What I have done previously is I bought a strap from Fossil and also used the Apple Watch adapters to make my own leather strap. Much cheaper but might be a bit of a faff.

https://www.fossil.com/uk/en/search.Leather%20strap.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Band-Connection-Adapters-Strap-Connector-for-Apple-Watch-38-42mm-UK-Stock/292523456738?hash=item441bc1b8e2:m:mCku88Er6JU-OlpvQcuCtRw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anyone know if the 4th series is ANT + compatible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Anybody order SS LTE from UK with parcelmotel?
    My order is still show as processing. Hopefully apple will not cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

wolfi wrote: »

I did, mine showing as preparing to dispatch

blink44 wrote: »
    I did, mine showing as preparing to dispatch

Do you remember what time you placed your order? I did it late 08:19, as my priority was XS Max from Irish apple store.

Do you remember what time you placed your order? I did it late 08:19, as my priority was XS Max from Irish apple store.

8:09. I wouldn’t worry too much, some items stay processing for ages but move along very quickly. I’m pretty sure last year with my X I only got the dispatch email on the Thursday and it arrived the next morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mine still saying processing too. And that was from the Irish store to an Irish address so I wouldn’t worry just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 4th series is ANT + compatible?

It's not mentioned in the spec sheet or in any of the information Apple have put out, so there's no reason to suspect that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was listening to the latest Verge podcast in which they were discussing the Keynote and I was struck by a point they made on the fall feature. It's something I didn't pay much attention to, but they mentioned how big a deal it could be for various industries that require staff to have fall sensors. They also mentioned how there was a huge market for the elderly, who apparently have these ugly necklace devices. They seemed far more excited about it than the EKG. I though it was a novelty

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really wish Apple let you build your own Watch when you ordered rather than having to buy one of their few combinations and then pay extra for a strap.

No way to get a black watch with anything other than a black strap, unless you fork out for the extra strap.

Does the podcasts on the watch os5 feature require one of the cellular watches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

awec wrote: »
    I really wish Apple let you build your own Watch when you ordered rather than having to buy one of their few combinations and then pay extra for a strap.

No way to get a black watch with anything other than a black strap, unless you fork out for the extra strap.

I was thinking the same. I wanted the silver watch but dont want the white strap. So now I’ll send up keeping my existing black strap and sell on my old watch without the strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Does the podcasts on the watch os5 feature require one of the cellular watches?

Think you can just sync it with the watch for offline playback so should work in the standard GPS models.

They know exactly what they're doing. Keep inventory issues down by having a limited number of choices. Make a good margin on the percentage of people who will pay extra for the strap they want.

No one Barely anyone who wants an Apple Watch is going to hold off buying because they don't like the bundled straps, so they won't won't lose any many sales. People will either make do, buy a replacement strap (from apple or elsewhere) or already have a strap they want to use.

Whichever way, Apple still get the watch sale and a certain percentage of the extra straps, which there must be a massive margin on.

phutyle wrote: »
    They know exactly what they're doing. Keep inventory issues down by having a limited number of choices. Make a good margin on the percentage of people who will pay extra for the strap they want.

No one Barely anyone who wants an Apple Watch is going to hold off buying because they don't like the bundled straps, so they won't won't lose any many sales. People will either make do, buy a replacement strap (from apple or elsewhere) or already have a strap they want to use.

Whichever way, Apple still get the watch sale and a certain percentage of the extra straps, which there must be a massive margin on.
    Yes, it is safe to say the leather straps for example don't cost anywhere close to 150 quid to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

• Advertisement

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Just noticed that Argos actually sell the cellular (LTE) version of the Apple Watch Series three

I was going to say that none of their stores show them as in stock, so maybe it was a mistake, but Liffey Valley actually claims to have one

2018-09-18_1727.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

829euro for an aluminium apple watch....are they smoking drugs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I was going to say that none of their stores show them as in stock, so maybe it was a mistake, but Liffey Valley actually claims to have one

2018-09-18_1727.png

that's a series 3...no issues with stock with last years model.

eeloe wrote: »
    829euro for an aluminium apple watch....are they smoking drugs?

I only see the Stainless Steel LTE one for 829 :confused:

2018-09-18_1733.png

eeloe wrote: »
    that's a series 3...no issues with stock with last years model.

Yes, but it's the Stainless Steel cellular version. Apple don't sell it here themselves.

Even if you got the watch it is pointless without a carrier that supports it.

• Advertisement

No interest in it myself, but there's some people people (even some on this thread, regarding the S4) who want the SS version over the alu one. And the SS case only comes with the cellular version.

For me it’s a pointless to get aluminium AW, as I feel like I wearing cheep toy comparing to SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I did too, Preparing also.

AidenL wrote: »
    I did too, Preparing also.

Few of us in the same boat, once ya go SS there’s no going back, as much as it hurts the wallet it’s worth it

blink44 wrote: »
    Few of us in the same boat, once ya go SS there’s no going back, as much as it hurts the wallet it’s worth it

Yep, I like the stainless. I have the link strap, and saddle brown leather, both are a great combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Apple just took the money off my card, still saying delivers 24th though, hoping it might change to Friday!!

Kagawa wrote: »
    Apple just took the money off my card, still saying delivers 24th though, hoping it might change to Friday!!
    Irish or UK apple store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Irish or UK apple store?

Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Will CompuB have these in stock on Friday ?

They’ll start shipping in the next 24 hours. Keep you eye on the status page for “preparing for dispatch” as it can just change quickly and ship in a few hours.

Btw, for those with Monday deliveries instead of Friday, I think that sometimes is down to location. E.g. Dublin and bigger cities will be given the Friday date and more rural areas the Monday as they wanna make sure they don’t overpromose in case they can’t make the delivery.

They usually all ship in the same batch but just might not make it in time. So hold out hope for the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

God help us with the 2-3 week delivery time :D

Hopefully it's a bit sooner.

God help us with the 2-3 week delivery time :D

Hopefully it's a bit sooner.
    It usually is, but usually only a few days early at most. You could always try pick one up in a local store before the date as well, and just cancel if you manage to find what you want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DubDJ wrote: »
    They’ll start shipping in the next 24 hours. Keep you eye on the status page for “preparing for dispatch” as it can just change quickly and ship in a few hours.

My phones and watch are preparing for dispatch since last Friday!

Ditto, but my date's the 25th (Irish store).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

Ditto, but my date's the 25th (Irish store).

Ordered Series 4 watch at 8.14am last Friday from the Irish store to a Dublin address. Delivery 26th Sept to 1st Oct. Still says it's processing and no money taken from card yet.

Hopeful for Friday but looks unlikely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

s8n wrote: »
    Will CompuB have these in stock on Friday ?

I would say so spoke to them in iConnect and they said they will have them.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭martin_g

Ordered Series 4 watch at 8.14am last Friday from the Irish store to a Dublin address. Delivery 26th Sept to 1st Oct. Still says it's processing and no money taken from card yet.

Hopeful for Friday but looks unlikely!

Ordered at 08:13 and got the 25th for phone and 3-10 Oct for watch, Phone preparing for dispatch since last Friday while Watch processing

Just watched ijustine unbox the gold stainless steel, disappointed they changed the packaging, seems the strap is in a separate box. I loved the original square box with the fancy plastic case inside. Although realistically it’s all about what’s inside the box and not the packaging

Same here this morning, UK store though.

Friday delivery to Parcel Motel, so not with me till Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

good luck with that lot.

Shn99 wrote: »
    good luck with that lot.

I meant Parcel Wizard! My mistake!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Same here this morning, UK store though.

You might get it Saturday.
    When the 7 was launched, I bought 2 from the UK store. Delivered to Parcel Motel on the Friday in Belfast and with me in Charlestown PM depot on the Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭finno

My apple watch is now showing dispatched :) for delivery tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Another key design issue to point out on the SS version, you also get the benefit of Sapphire glass which is more scratch resistant than Ion X glass which is on all the other models. This is the same as Series 3.

• Advertisement

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Another key design issue to point out on the SS version, you also get the benefit of Sapphire glass which is more scratch resistant than Ion X glass which is on all the other models. This is the same as Series 3.

I only remembered that the other day, made me feel a bit better forking out the extra. Iv no doubt I would have smashed my series 0 by now in work if I had the ion x glass.

Just logged into my account and see mine has been dispatched, happy days

Advertisement