Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

I really wish they would get rid of that stupid app for voice chat!! It's completely ridiculous. Although I don't see how Nintendo can backtrack on it as the Switch controllers don't have an audio in/out jack for headsets....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah that’s true, but you can back up your saves anytime you like to a usb stick without having to pay.

You specifically mentioned cloud saves though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is a cheap online product compared to the others on the market.
    I pay for the services on both the PS series as well as my Xbox consoles, and o pay considerably more than Nintendo are looking for.
    As I've purchases across three accounts I'll have to get the family pack but it's still cheap.
    Since folk will be offended regardless, NES games to stay with are great, let's see where it goes from here.
    And, of you own a Switch and don't want the service don't pay, just like on the PS4 and XB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 things i would like clarified: do you have access to all those NES games, netflix style, or you choose 1 or 2 a month? And what do they mean when they say the cloud saves are for some games? Is it like how you couldn't copy Mario Kart saves on the Wii?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TitianGerm wrote: »

Nintendo Critic: Stamping of feet "Why no cloud saves?"

Nintendo: Here's cloud saves.

Nintendo Critic: (Sounds of goal posts being moved)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CastorTroy wrote: »
    2 things i would like clarified: do you have access to all those NES games, netflix style, or you choose 1 or 2 a month? And what do they mean when they say the cloud saves are for some games? Is it like how you couldn't copy Mario Kart saves on the Wii?

My understanding is a Netflix style library.

Not enough is known about what games support cloud saving and which ones don't - too early to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Theoretically, I wonder if you could bandy together as it says you can "invite up to 7 others to join a family group", not necessarily being related and therefore reducing the price for a year to a little less than €4.50 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

sligeach wrote: »
    Theoretically, I wonder if you could bandy together as it says you can "invite up to 7 others to join a family group", not necessarily being related and therefore reducing the price for a year to a little less than €4.50 per person.

Lets wait for the details, but if I was them I’d probably do it the Apple way. I.e. all accounts which are part of the family can make purchases on the eShop with the credit card of the master account which pays for the family subscription, and cannot use their own card. It might not guarantee you only get genuine families but since it requires a strong level of trust between group members it does greatly limit people artificially registering as families.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It is a pretty basic service for anyone been using online services in the last while. The silly app will continue to be a problem if it is fully continued with. Hopefully the NES games is just the very start of that particular service, and I'm sure it will be. At €20 it's probably at enough of a sweet price point that it will still have a huge take up, especially with Smash and Pokemon on the horizon.

Also, all the details of it may not have been shared yet.

https://twitter.com/TW_PhantomLord/status/993758154591801344

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I do this with a few friends for Spotify and Netflix. It's very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Good thinking ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Cloud saves is a nice-to-have but I'd feel better paying for it if I had a local save option (which should be possible if they convolute the data with the unique license each title has based on the eShop/card used to prevent people creating crazy buffer-overflow exploits from save editing and save sharing. As such it feels like Cloud Save is an opt-out rather than opt-in for anyone who carries their switch around in the big bad world, risking data loss due to damage or theft.

So, if you have multiple profiles set up on the same switch is that a single sub or family sub? and if those 4 accounts are aligned to Rus, Jap, US and Za respectively, are they still considered family? I wonder if this might be the start of a wider Family service, like for example Google Play or Steam, where you can have a unified software library that you can check titles in and out of for family members.

Rocket League isn't on the list of games that require the sub for online play. So that's one less gun to my head.

NES titles is not much of an incentive. They shudda stuck Mario Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion (or that awesome Star Wars GC game) on there, give us something new and shiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Banjo wrote: »

So, if you have multiple profiles set up on the same switch is that a single sub or family sub? and if those 4 accounts are aligned to Rus, Jap, US and Za respectively, are they still considered family? I wonder if this might be the start of a wider Family service, like for example Google Play or Steam, where you can have a unified software library that you can check titles in and out of for family members.

We’ll only know for sure when Nintendo tells us, but I would expect that family accounts need to be at least in the same region and probably in the same country, so all 4 accounts might each require an individual subscription if they are all to access the online service. *but* in practice your probably only need one of them to access it and the other ones are likely just used to download games from other regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

TitianGerm wrote: »

No I didn’t. I said it was ridiculous that you have to pay to back up your saves. I’ve no problem paying to back up to the cloud, but the fact that that is your only option is what I have a problem with. There’s no unpaid backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Excuse my ignorance. Will this be in place of Virtual Console or is that coming at a separate date?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    This is a cheap online product compared to the others on the market. I pay for the services on both the PS series as well as my Xbox consoles, and o pay considerably more than Nintendo are looking for.

Yeah but the "free" games, overall quality of the ecosystem & sales on those consoles are worth the price difference.
    Cloud saves are nice considering many switches have been damaged that used 3rd party docks but not being able to move your saves to a SD card is confusing, I expected it to be patched in but after cloud saves being made available I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

You must be mad, this is a very bad deal. Cloud saves is the only good thing about this, but the fact that you have to pay to backup your saves is ridiculous.

NES games that we’ve all played to death doesn’t sound like value to me, SNES or later, possibly, but not 30 year old games.

Voice chat is still through the phone app! You may as well use Skype or FaceTime.

Also, unlike PS4 (I can’t speak for Xbox) if one person on the system buys the online subscription everyone else that uses that PS4 can use online services. Nintendo want you to pay per account, or you pay double for a ‘family pass’ if other people use the console. What a joke.

No thanks Nintendo.

Don't buy it so.

Excuse my ignorance. Will this be in place of Virtual Console or is that coming at a separate date?

Virtual Console, or the form it was in on past Nintendo systems, won't be coming. It will be a different way of doing it, as yet pretty much unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Corholio wrote: »
    Virtual Console, or the form it was in on past Nintendo systems, won't be coming.

Wait, what? When did they say that?
    If that's the case, roll on custom firmware and emulators...

Wait, what? When did they say that?
    If that's the case, roll on custom firmware and emulators...

It won't be in the same form as previous Virtual Console, that's been sort of obvious for a while now. It remains to be seen if it will be a 'Netflix' type service under a 'Classics' banner etc.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Virtual Console, or the form it was in on past Nintendo systems, won't be coming. It will be a different way of doing it, as yet pretty much unknown.

Yes... and no....

They will be bringing their legacy of games to the Switch but the branding "Virtual Console" will cease to be used.

Will it be individual purchases, I don't know.

Will it be subscription? At least in part some will be.

Will purchases follow the user from device to device? As long as we are talking about the Switch it seems likely that they will, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are limits to how many consoles one account can be active on.

I think the Sony model is the best one to follow, but they didn't get it right first time, with the PS3 service being a lousy second to the 360.
    That seems to have flipped with the current gen, I much prefer the experience and content on the PS4 than the XB1 effort.

Virtual Console Is Not Coming To Switch, Nintendo Says

https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-is-not-coming-to-switch-nintendo-says-1825848253

Good ol Kotaku (and Schreier) with their misleading headline.

The quote from Nintendo:

“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night.

With stuff like Hamster and the SEGA Ages collection announced recently, it's been going the way that publishers will be releasing a lot of their own games themselves. Hopefully Nintendo can offer a decent selection access to their own catalogue as Nintendo Online develops.

I said all along that they'd do the Virtual Console differently this time. Can't have all those Wii U/3DS owners transferring their VC games over, all that lost potential revenue. Nintendo needed a new way to milk people for the umpteenth time on these old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

:rolleyes:

They were never going to allow transfer anyway.

Nintendo have also hinted that not all game saves can use the cloud service or that all online games will come under Nintendo's Online subscription. Maybe it'll be for Nintendo only games, that would be a bit stingy but then it is Nintendo. Anyway, a lot of online games are p2p which doesn't cost Nintendo or other companies anything.

Damn it I want to be offended by Nintendo!!!

Let me be offended by them charlatans!!!!

I'm not happy until I'm offended by Nintendo!!!

That's bold type for emphasis, not as a mod...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well, they allowed you to "upgrade" your license at a reduced cost moving Wii to WiiU, albeit with no recognition for the existence of 3DS owners who also had a Wii/WiiU; this would seem to preclude that for this Gen, and contributes to the ongoing precedent they're setting : When we cater for our existing player base, as we did with the WiiU, we fail. When we pretend they don't exist, we succeed.
    (not looking to reignite the "they owe us something" argument, we're all firmly and comfortably entrenched where we are)

So the question is, are they doing a Netflix service where buying for example buying your first sub in 2020 gives you access to all titles currently on the service until your sub expires, or something more like the PS+ model (as I understand it) where if you're a member in Month X, you get the games that are made available in Month X in perpetuity. The former does not reward early adopters and represents a poor investment till the service finds it's feet. Also, it gives them the freedom to take games down as well as put them up as they curate the "experience", which I wouldn't put past them - "this month the only game available is Urban Champion because we feel you need reminding that it was awesome".

Looking forward though, if they go with the Netflix model hopefully they'll have a platform-agnostic means of playing those games that will work well on whatever follows the Switch and beyond, which would give us something closer to the utopian ideals of never needing to buy SMW and OoT again!

• Advertisement

Q. If I purchase an Individual Membership, can other users playing on the same Nintendo Switch also use the Nintendo Switch Online service?

A. No, this is not possible. If you make use of the Individual Membership, only the Nintendo Account with an active Nintendo Switch Online membership can use Nintendo Switch Online services on that device.

If family members playing on the same Nintendo Switch also want to use the service, a Family Group could be set up in the Nintendo Account settings, and the Family Membership for Nintendo Switch Online could be purchased to enjoy the service (up to eight Nintendo Accounts).

Please note: some titles, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, allow an additional player to join an online session as a guest. This functionality will still be available if the first player has an active Nintendo Switch Online membership.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/FAQ-1374625.html

Advertisement