Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So let's get this straight. People have been setting up different accounts on their Switch to buy digital games from different regions of the world because they're cheaper? So doesn't that mean, even though they may be just a single person, that if these games have online, that they'll have to buy family membership? That's f***ed up if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't think so at all. Only if you play games on the other profiles (which I don't)

My main switch account is the only one I use (even though I have others for discounts).
    I do have accounts for my niece and nephew, though (for whenever they're visiting) so I have to decide if I want to get a family membership to cover them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

sligeach wrote: »
    So let's get this straight. People have been setting up different accounts on their Switch to buy digital games from different regions of the world because they're cheaper? So doesn't that mean, even though they may be just a single person, that if these games have online, that they'll have to buy family membership? That's f***ed up if that's the case.

Not necessarily as presumably if the account you used to purchase a game doesn’t have access to the online service, as long as the game is installed on the Switch you can play it with another account which has online service access.

*but* on previous threads about having multiple accounts in different regions I have a few times said I don’t think it’s a good idea as it could cause issues in the future. This might be coming now and to be honest Nintendo can’t be blame for it - it was always clear that doing it was risky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are suggesting that those people who create alt accounts in order to subvert the local prices as set by Nintendo, as well as the sellers of the games, are being hard done by because the method they use, to create alt accounts on their Switch, is going to mean that they will be billed for these alt accounts?
    So you know how ridiculous your statement sounds?

I have alternative identities on my Switch, to avail of cheaper games in other territories.
    These alternative accounts rely on alternative email accounts for registration and are treated as different users.
    If you want to use the new online system you will have to have either one payment system for one user, or the family account for more than one user or account identity on your Switch.
    And Nintendo are somehow being mean?

For goodness sake.

Just write a letter to Nintendo, tell them you set up alternative accounts with location details different, they'll happily delete them, possibly ban them and you can continue on with your primary account, that is if they don't ban you as well.
    Or, you can just admit that the cunning plan to have alt accounts/users on your system was going to incur a cost somewhere along the way and pay the incredible €15 a year to keep dipping in and out of Mexico, Russia and South Africa to bag a couple of bargains a month.

Or, better still, keep your powder dry until you actually own a Switch and then express your opinion about how offended you are, despite that position being untenable, for the reasons detailed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Here's hoping the family plan allows my son to play my digital games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Not disastrous but nothing to get overly excited about just yet either. I think they value their Nes games a bit too highly. A mixture of SNES/NES would have been nice from the start. Obviously SNES games will be added in the future.

The phone app for chat is still nonsense though. As a companion app it would be cool, tracking stats, map info, leader boards etc. But for voice chat they're just trying to solve a problem that was figured out 15 years ago.

Price is good and I'm looking forward to seeing what the members special offers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not disastrous but nothing to get overly excited about just yet either.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.
    I think they value their Nes games a bit too highly.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.
    The phone app for chat is still nonsense though. As a companion app it would be cool, tracking stats, map info, leader boards etc. But for voice chat they're just trying to solve a problem that was figured out 15 years ago.

Are you me?? :D

All in all, for €20, it's not too bad really. My only gripe is you're forced to pay it if you want to back up your saves, and that's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A very watery offering despite the hostility to people not thinking much of this announcement here in the thread.

OK, it's €20 quid a year so I'll probably pay for it but my heart is not exactly racing. Fairly mind-boggling that this is all they are managing to trot out after a year or more.

Phone app for chat is lolbad, 20 NES games in a Netflix type arrangement also lolbad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

keane2097 wrote: »
    A very watery offering despite the hostility to people not thinking much of this announcement here in the thread.

OK, it's €20 quid a year so I'll probably pay for it but my heart is not exactly racing. Fairly mind-boggling that this is all they are managing to trot out after a year or more.

Phone app for chat is lolbad, 20 NES games in a Netflix type arrangement also lolbad.

I'm sorry but the opinion of anyone who says lolbad should be discarded immediately :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the opinion of anyone who says lolbad should be discarded immediately :pac:

l46v4f.jpg

• Advertisement

Pick your term as you please, they are poor offerings.

Pick your term as you please, they are poor offerings.

They are not poor offerings to me and €20 is feck all. This is my first Nintendo console so the ability to play some older games is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They are not poor offerings to me and €20 is feck all. This is my first Nintendo console so the ability to play some older games is very nice.

€20 euro is feck all

But I will wait until I see what (if any) discounts you get with it before going for it - I don't really play online at all

I guess people are disappointed after over a year of no service (and months still to go) there is nothing innovative about the offering at all

naughtb4 wrote: »
    €20 euro is feck all

But I will wait until I see what (if any) discounts you get with it before going for it - I don't really play online at all

I guess people are disappointed after over a year of no service (and months still to go) there is nothing innovative about the offering at all

I pay around €35 for Xbox Live, €50ish for PS+ and I'll pay €20 for Nintendo Online. That's three services that I'll use on a weekly basis for just over €100 a year.

Yes Nintendos offering is below that of the other two but it's also by far the cheapest.

The way I look at them is I need the membership to play online and the discounts/free games I get are an added bonus.

In the context of it being a year later and many (most?) of us having been playing NES games for nearly 30 years I think it's fair enough to call this 'underwhelming'.

I mean, is there any possible spin for this where we could argue it's overwhelming? I think that's a hard sell and it's fairly telling.

In the context of it being a year later and many (most?) of us having been playing NES games for nearly 30 years I think it's fair enough to call this 'underwhelming'.

I mean, is there any possible spin for this where we could argue it's overwhelming? I think that's a hard sell and it's fairly telling.

Why does it need to be overwhelming? It's adaquate as is and I'm sure it will develop over time.

Live and PS4 were fairly skimpy when they launched as well.

I don't think anything is a hard sell for €20. Most of us in here would blow that going to the cinema for one movie, getting a Chinese takeaway or going for a drink over the weekend.

I mean, is there any possible spin for this where we could argue it's overwhelming?

The price. Ok it's not overwhelming, but in contrast to XBL & PS+, it's quite attractively priced. The chat app was a bad way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TitianGerm wrote:
    Why does it need to be overwhelming? It's adaquate as is and I'm sure it will develop over time.

(deep breath)
    Paying for a service which isn't as smooth or reliable as PSN or Live, chatting through a total mess of an app(instead of a headset like every other system the last 12 years) is not good enough in 2018 & saying there is sales isn't going to set tongues wagging as normally compared to every platform the sales are crap & question marks about what game saves you can back up online.
    It's needlessly confusing as Nintendo always have been when dealing with online services whereas it took forever for Sony to grasp it they are still fumbling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

ERG89 wrote: »
    (deep breath)
    Paying for a service which isn't as smooth or reliable as PSN or Live, chatting through a total mess of an app(instead of a headset like every other system the last 12 years) is not good enough in 2018 & saying there is sales isn't going to set tongues wagging as normally compared to every platform the sales are crap & question marks about what game saves you can back up online.
    It's needlessly confusing as Nintendo always have been when dealing with online services whereas it took forever for Sony to grasp it they are still fumbling it.

I agree 100%, especially about the chat part! I adore Splatoon 2 and will pay the €20 just to play that online but I am majorly bummed with the way they have set up the chat in that game :-( Is one to assume it's going to be the same for future game releases that will have chat??

Paying to gain access to discounts isn't great. They're currently free but will put them behind a paywall come September.

The voice chat is a joke, probably used partly because the battery is already short enough on Switch without an extra drain and Nintendo distancing themselves a little from potential controversy and well kids.

They're also making people pay for backup save files. They could easily let people use micro SD cards... but... no. I've cloud storage on my phone and guess what, it's free.

30 year old NES games aren't very enticing. Which you will never own, when your subscription is cancelled or when the servers are closed, they'll be gone, unlike previous consoles and handhelds.

Sure it can get better with time but it certainly doesn't sound brilliant so far. I'm fairly sure the price will go up in time as well. This is Nintendo just getting their foot in the door. As I said earlier, a lot of these online games don't cost Nintendo and others any money as they're p2p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Paying to gain access to discounts isn't great. They're currently free but will put them behind a paywall come September.

Is that completely confirmed?

I assumed it would be like PSN/XBL, if you have a subscription you get an extra discount on the sale price.

The voice chat is a joke, probably used partly because the battery is already short enough on Switch without an extra drain and Nintendo distancing themselves a little from potential controversy and well kids.

They're also making people pay for backup save files. They could easily let people use micro SD cards... but... no.

30 year old NES games aren't very enticing. Which you will never own, when your subscription is cancelled or when the servers are closed, they'll be gone, unlike previous consoles and handhelds.

Sure it can get better with time but it certainly doesn't sound brilliant so far. I'm fairly sure the price will go up in time as well. This is Nintendo just getting their foot in the door. As I said earlier, a lot of these online games don't cost Nintendo and others any money as they're p2p.

You are not paying to get discounts, the discounts are an added bonus. On Xbox or PlayStation a game may be on sale for 40% off, if you have a Live or Plus subscription you'll get another 10% or so off.

maximoose wrote: »
    Is that completely confirmed?

I assumed it would be like PSN/XBL, if you have a subscription you get an extra discount on the sale price.

They might do that, I hope that's what they do. Nintendo themselves are the stingiest when it comes to sales.

They're also making people pay for backup save files.

That's really the biggest issue with all of this. If you don't pay & subscribe, you risk losing all of your saves if your Switch develops a problem, as there's no other way to back saves up. I don't think it's fair to only have those two choices, not with a €300 console. There definitely should be a way to back your saves up via sd/usb.

Nintendo's game size files are typically very small, maybe a few hundred MB's, in some cases even KB's. But there are quite a few 3rd party guzzlers out there, with 5GB save files. Are Nintendo going to store their data?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They might do that, I hope that's what they do. Nintendo themselves are the stingiest when it comes to sales.

For first party stuff, sure. I've gotten some great discounts on third party games though (which forms the VAST majority of the Switch's library).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They should all be destroyed, as yer man from Jurassic Park would say.

Is Lolbad any relation to Sinbad? ;)

Classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Very disappointing, I thought we would at least get some kind of VC, 20 quid is cheap enough but I don't really play the Switch online so not sure if it's worth my while...

Cloud saves are great but I'd prefer backup to my USB HDD if I'm honest...

Using an app on a phone/tablet for voice chat in 2018 is insane IMO

Advertisement