Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A few pics might help Steve of that Brown stuff or where its coming from.

Good work on the troubleshooting though, least the new chassis works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone attempt to build a NaomiPi themselves to netboot Naomi games.

I see plenty of sellers online sellingcreasy built kits but they pricey.

Anyone try it, curious to hear about your experience.

I have the Naomi netbootingvsuccessfully from a laptop but it's a dose hooking it up every time I want to change a game

I have the Naomi netbootingvsuccessfully from a laptop but it's a dose hooking it up every time I want to change a game

Yeah i have 2 here, one from lcd and one booting over wifi, far handier than hooking up laptop, just burn images available online and change naomi ip address to match..very easy and reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've a pi (Piforce-web) setup with my Naomi cab which when powered on, broadcasts a wireless network. When you connect to it with any device, it pops up a list of games you just tap and bam! Game get loaded. Very handy.
    To be able to always load another game without resetting the Naomi manually (sometimes you can't soft reboot with say Atomiswave games) you have to do some soldering and install a USB relay but worth it. Turns it into a plug'n'play setup.

On that, if anyone wants a Naomi mainboard+VirtuaTennis shout now as its sitting in a pile of electronics recycling in work.

Wow. Really interesting. Do you have any tutorial you used you could link to.
    Also the USB Relay bit.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Wow. Really interesting. Do you have any tutorial you used you could link to.
    Also the USB Relay bit.

Thanks!

Ah, now I remember that it wasn't the most straight forward in terms of a 'how-to' to add the relay. Had to do a bit of script hacking.
    The info came from a arcade-projects.com forum thread. If I get time in the future, I'd be happy to image the Pi card I have as it works, you'd just need to do the relay wiring part should you want the hard reset feature. It basically cuts the sense wire of one of the CPU/GPU cooling fans for a split second which makes the Naomi reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    On that, if anyone wants a Naomi mainboard+VirtuaTennis shout now as its sitting in a pile of electronics recycling in work.

I'll take that off your hands if it's going for free like. :P

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'll take that off your hands if it's going for free like. :P

Need to check the WEEE recycling hasn't been taken yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bipedal

Where do you work that they're just tossing arcade hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the 90's

• Advertisement

Ah, now I remember that it wasn't the most straight forward in terms of a 'how-to' to add the relay. Had to do a bit of script hacking.
    The info came from a arcade-projects.com forum thread. If I get time in the future, I'd be happy to image the Pi card I have as it works, you'd just need to do the relay wiring part should you want the hard reset feature. It basically cuts the sense wire of one of the CPU/GPU cooling fans for a split second which makes the Naomi reset.

Cool.

In terms of the pi setup, any tutorial links to that? Thanks :pac:

Cool.

In terms of the pi setup, any tutorial links to that? Thanks :pac:

The info is in that thread if you read though it

The info is in that thread if you read though it

Cool. I flicked through it but thought it was more about the pi image only.

If you ever get around to uploading your card image id gladly take a copy.

Efficient lot in work, already gone for recycling :/
    bipedal wrote: »
    Where do you work that they're just tossing arcade hardware?
    It was in my collection of 'junk' which I brought to work to take advantage of the WEEE recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Efficient lot in work, already gone for recycling :/

It was in my collection of 'junk' which I brought to work to take advantage of the WEEE recycling bin.

Ahh that's a shame, thanks anyway! Could have built a nice consolised system out of that with Pi Netboot.

Ahh well! :-)

Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

o1s1n wrote:
    That's me assuming it's the heater because it's the only thing in that part of the room BTW, there might be something else in the structure of the building, in the walls that I can't see which is radiating magnetic death rays

Would expect the heater to be an electric field.

Have you got a meter to measure it.

I could dig a couple out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bipedal

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm thinking more the electromagnetic field around the storage heater. It's impacting a CRT when placed too close to it.

It's not instant, so the magnetism isn't insanely strong, but you can see it drawing the colour purity out of the monitor on the edges over time. Would just get progressively worse if left like that.

I've it far enough away anyway now so it doesn't impact it anymore.

That's me assuming it's the heater because it's the only thing in that part of the room BTW, there might be something else in the structure of the building, in the walls that I can't see which is radiating magnetic death rays :D

If you wrap the CRT on all sides with foil, you should be in good shape. If you put the shinier side out, you'll even get to use it as a mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thought I'd open up the SNK cab this evening and have a bit of a mess around with the pots. Haven't really gone near the monitor since I first bought it due to there being no easily accessible remote board. Managed to get the colours popping a bit better.

Did have a bit of 'wtf?!' though. When I took the back access panel off, the chassis was completely sideways. It was after dislodging from the mounting bracket holding it in place and falling between at an angle. Luckily the way it fell saved it and it had been held in place.

Must have happened when we carried the cabinet up a few months back. I hadn't noticed it at all. Luckily nothing shorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thought I'd open up the SNK cab this evening and have a bit of a mess around with the pots. Haven't really gone near the monitor since I first bought it due to there being no easily accessible remote board. Managed to get the colours popping a bit better.

Did have a bit of 'wtf?!' though. When I took the back access panel off, the chassis was completely sideways. It was after dislodging from the mounting bracket holding it in place and falling between at an angle. Luckily the way it fell saved it and it had been held in place.

Must have happened when we carried the cabinet up a few months back. I hadn't noticed it at all. Luckily nothing shorted!

Yikes you were lucky , any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yikes you were lucky

It’s how he rolls. My seismograph showed a blip the other day, I just put it down to o1s1n doing something retro related. Turns out the dates correlate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yikes you were lucky , any pics?

I got such a fright I immediately turned the cab off and fixed it. There's nothing quite like seeing a cab running with the chassis hanging off to make the adrenaline kick in :D
    Inviere wrote: »
    It’s how he rolls. My seismograph showed a blip the other day, I just put it down to o1s1n doing something retro related. Turns out the dates correlate.

Haha! sure what would this place be without me almost destroying an expensive piece of tech every now and again? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They are ultimately going to be removing your remains from the walls and ceiling with a paint scraper, you know that don't you?
    On a brighter note, it'll be quick.

Got the NaomiPi web up and running. A really great solution and relatively cheap too. Assuming you've already got the Naomi setup already that is.

Need to figure out the Relay bit still

My atomiswave supports 31kz. Some of the games look great even still.

Virtua Tennis (or Power Smash as my bios is Jap!) is still a quality looking game and my kids are hooked!

IMAG1309.jpg

A member over on ukvac is restoring an outrun deluxe cab.

Looking like it will be a great job when finished

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/outrun-deluxe-turbo-deconversion-restoration_topic364570_page1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

That is a serious task to take on, though in many respects due to the size and space commitment more than anything else. It should be an amazing finish based on the attention to detail so far.
    A member over on ukvac is restoring an outrun deluxe cab.

Looking like it will be a great job when finished

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/outrun-deluxe-turbo-deconversion-restoration_topic364570_page1.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is still a Sega Rally dual sit down in a local GAA club function room.
    It would be too awesome to ever hope to own it, because of the almost certain repair it requires, a bit because I have no where to put it, but mostly because I'd be shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Star Wars Pin in the Square Tallaght. Its all there in the square..

starwars.jpeg

Star Wars Pin in the Square Tallaght. Its all there in the square..

starwars.jpeg

Yea it's not to far from where i work.
    I went over one day to play it and it wouldnt take any coins :confused:
    Its an awful game anyways.got to play the LE and the pro in Seattle and they stank!

It's finally happened people...

LjZtmRGl.jpg

I still have to find the right connector for the 2player buttons, but, as the bishop said to the actress, at least it's in!

• Advertisement

This is the molex connector thingy I need to connect to.
    Any links to where I can get this, with the loom pre-wired so I can just connect up the buttons, throw up a link!
    azpwBrhl.jpg

Advertisement