Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SB71 wrote: »
    the vast majority of places wont have a time limit id imagine.

The vast majority will, more tables is more business. Dont expect to get more than 1hr 45 mins in most places.

The exact same as it was in the summer

Who says this though? Is this in writing anywhere on gov website ?

Failte Ireland guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MOH wrote: »
    Apply the same "evidence" to schools and they're far, far worse

That’s surely true but... schools allow parents to go to work which is pretty essential. The actual education could happen online. If there was no other benefit then I’d supply closing schools throughout the crisis and teaching online too. It wouldn’t be a brilliant solution but it would be preferable.

But the fact that schools allow parents to go to work makes it a complete different matter.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Everything booked out for this weekend already. Gov have messed up big time on this. People crowding into the few places left open over Xmas and resentment growing. Meanwhile vaccinations starting in NI next week.

Political and economic suicide.

This is over by April. We may not even see a third wave, if we do it will be cut short.

When is the next election?

What’s wrong with the places being fully booked? As long as they’re adhering to distancing rules then isn’t it good that they’re booked out and getting as much business as they can?

There was always going to be a bounce when restrictions were lifted. I don’t think it’s a big problem particularly as long as it’s well managed by businesses.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You have the same number of people looking for space in half the number of restaurants/pubs that have half the number of seats.

Demand is through the roof, time limit or no time limit, and that's before you add in the Christmas rush.

This is exactly why I will be avoiding weekends in December. As much as I loathe the notion of being of having to order grub, surrounded by fickle annuals guffawing about this success and that. Always meet up with old friends near Christmas, unbroken ritual for years going for the cupla scoops. And we're all regulars in our respective locals around the country in case a pedant corrects me. Hoping the VFI will take legal action against the Government on behalf of traditional publicans, at this juncture they essentially have nothing to lose and everything to gain. High-ranking politicians need to be constantly reminded that they're not untouchable, if they don't acknowledge struggling business owners then they'll receive a hard landing in the next election.

This is exactly why I will be avoiding weekends in December. As much as I loathe the notion of being of having to order grub, surrounded by fickle annuals guffawing about this success and that.

What does this mean?

On the government and elections; I imagine most governments will be voted out (or have reduced vote totals) after this pandemic. Regardless of how the dealt with it with harsh lockdowns or not, there’s probably a global recession coming so people will be voting in an recession and the usual vote for changes in that circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

saabsaab wrote: »
    From UK but the relevant part is

'data suggesting that 41% of under-30s with coronavirus, caught it in a pub or bar,'

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/headlines/2020/oct/are-pubs-and-bars-blame-covid-spread

The flaws in that type report were already mentioned on the main thread ages ago aswell as other experts that disagreed
    Summation/Paraphrasing it is behaviour and ventillation and the fact that contact tracing was not detailed enough as they may have actually caught it elsewhere like at home. That is not saying it does not never happen but if a hugh amount of hcw's catch its like saying they where all on the pub last week. ;)

And one expert even points to that in the very link you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

What’s wrong with the places being fully booked? As long as they’re adhering to distancing rules then isn’t it good that they’re booked out and getting as much business as they can?

There was always going to be a bounce when restrictions were lifted. I don’t think it’s a big problem particularly as long as it’s well managed by businesses.

People will resent the fact they can't get in anywhere and there will be crowding outside. I remember being at a bus stop outside a well known pub in Dublin with the large queue outside intermingling with the queue at the bus stop. I fully support businesses getting all they can, but with the social distancing many may only be breaking even. I don't get the rationale behind the new rule on having a kitchen and a chef, reducing the number of available gastropubs and putting added financial pressure on more businesses that can't open.

What does this mean?

Under normal circumstances, a unique breed of a-hole emerges this time of year: the ivy and holly drinker. Loud, ignorant and unable to handle their porter. Sully the environment for everyone in the vicinity, usually end up puking their ring and being cast out the door. There is a special place in hell for these wannabes. Whether that answers your question, I don't care either way.

Tazz T wrote: »
    People will resent the fact they can't get in anywhere and there will be crowding outside. I remember being at a bus stop outside a well known pub in Dublin with the large queue outside intermingling with the queue at the bus stop. I fully support businesses getting all they can, but with the social distancing many may only be breaking even. I don't get the rationale behind the new rule on having a kitchen and a chef, reducing the number of available gastropubs and putting added financial pressure on more businesses that can't open.

That’s a matter of people not being responsible. And that’s why restrictions happen. Let’s hope people take distancing seriously for the most part.

To be fair, demand always outstrips capacity at this time of year. At least the overall numbers will be lower this time around and businesses will be at capacity to make the most of it.

• Advertisement

Under normal circumstances, a unique breed of a-hole emerges this time of year: the ivy and holly drinker. Loud, ignorant and unable to handle their porter. Sully the environment for everyone in the vicinity, usually end up puking their ring and being cast out the door. There is a special place in hell for these wannabes. Whether that answers your question, I don't care either way.
    Ok. This seems personal to you. I just see people out, cutting loose at the Christmas party and doing things they wouldn’t do every weekend. I’ve never been thrown out of a pub for fighting or puking myself, but I’m sure it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ok. This seems personal to you. I just see people out, cutting loose at the Christmas party and doing things they would do every weekend. I’ve never been thrown out of a pub for fighting or puking myself, but I’m sure it happens.

You've clearly never been in a pub in December then. Between the 12 pubs ****, Mark from accounts who hasn't had a night out in 8 months because his missus had a baby, who thinks he can still drink like he's 22 or the absolute pricks who see an open bar as a challenge. It is a living nightmare........

Thankfully I've acquired a few local pubs in the last few years that won't take any of that bollix.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You've clearly never been in a pub in December then. Between the 12 pubs ****, Mark from accounts who hasn't had a night out in 8 months because his missus had a baby, who thinks he can still drink like he's 22 or the absolute pricks who see an open bar as a challenge. It is a living nightmare........

Thankfully I've acquired a few local pubs in the last few years that won't take any of that bollix.

Ah, sure that’s exactly what I mean. I just see it as other people having a blow out. As long as they don’t try to make me do anything I don’t want to do, the good luck to them. I don’t think i own the pubs I go to not do I think I can police other people’s craic.

I’d avoid city centre pubs at Christmas (apart from the work Christmas party) and new year. Quieter places that usually attract older crowds have less of it. It’s not worth getting on a high horse about. It’s just other people having their brand of craic. If I don’t enjoy their craic, then I could get cross about it or just focus on my own craic with my group.

I can’t help being amused that I’m now defending the pubs from people who want to open the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ok. This seems personal to you. I just see people out, cutting loose at the Christmas party and doing things they would do every weekend. I’ve never been thrown out of a pub for fighting or puking myself, but I’m sure it happens.

He's talking about the exact opposite of who you described. :rolleyes:

He's talking about the exact opposite of who you described. :rolleyes:

Apologies. I meant wouldn’t do every weekend.

I’ll edit it in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seems to be a lot of Vitriol directed at Pub goers/drinkers.... have the constant messages from Holohan gotten through to people and is now imprinted on their brains?
    Are we seeing the complete collapse of the Traditional Irish Pub, the one the country is known worldwide for and tourists come here to see...

By this time next year will the Pub scene be completely dominated by the Sanitized version of the Irish Pub, the Wetherspoons, themed bars more like cafe/restaurants that serve alcohol, where everyone comes and goes quickly after their food is consumed.

The rural pub replaced by a small Cafe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of Vitriol directed at Pub goers/drinkers.... have the constant messages from Holohan gotten through to people and is now imprinted on their brains?
    Are we seeing the complete collapse of the Traditional Irish Pub, the one the country is known worldwide for and tourists come here to see...

By this time next year will the Pub scene be completely dominated by the Sanitized version of the Irish Pub, the Wetherspoons, themed bars more like cafe/restaurants that serve alcohol, where everyone comes and goes quickly after their food is consumed.

That’ll go down well in my wee part of the Midlands!!!

Replace the local that’s opening tomorrow with a theme chain and sure it’ll make Tom Barry’s antics look like an episode of Teletubbies!!!

Nah, that’s just angry posters posting angry posts. I wouldn’t worry about it. Ironical, the last few people who were having a pop at pub goers are also big advocates for opening the pubs.

It’s just the normal too and fro that happens in any area of life. Someone like going to the pub so they dislike other people going to the pub and enjoying themselves differently than them - having craic incorrectly. It was ever thus and it’ll be grand.

Whether a rural pub is replaced by a cafe will depend on whether there’s a market for it or not. I can’t see it happening in my local in the village I come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In short - no. If anything, the vitriol of people is being directed towards Holohan et al. Even the latte-sipping hipsters seem to have a lot of sympathy for pubs. Maybe it's something to do with the time of the year and Christmas, but the public opinion seems to be swaying from what I've seen and heard. The VFI finally seem to be pulling the finger out too, so I hope there is a sustained campaign of pressure on the government to force their hand.

• Advertisement

By the way lads and lassies... I rarely drink alcohol... but I also dislike any too buzy pubs all year round especially large sanitized chain gastro pubs but I love my local and will fight tooth and nail for it as it contributes immensly way more to my community then its sq footage
    ps I dont mean hand sanitiser etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

The vast majority will, more tables is more business. Dont expect to get more than 1hr 45 mins in most places.

The exact same as it was in the summer

it wasnt the same in the summer at all for me anyway, any pub i went to there was no time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Any pub in a city centre will be enforcing time limit to increase turnover cant blame them really anywhere outside that won't be if you go into a quiet spot on a Sunday afternoon they are not gonna hop you after 1.45h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

it wasnt the same in the summer at all for me anyway, any pub i went to there was no time limit

There was. The pubs weren't enforcing them and the punters were happy to fly against the rules.

Grand well whatever pub you were in either had 2m between tables or wasn't keeping to the rules one or the other.

The same things are in place now that were in place in July.

Except now its Christmas and of course there's more demand for hospitality so expect the vast majority of establishments to say heres the bill after 105 minutes

Grand well whatever pub you were in either had 2m between tables or wasn't keeping to the rules one or the other.

Except now its Christmas and of course there's more demand for hospitality so expect the vast majority of establishments to say heres the bill after 105 minutes

wont be the case where i go anyway, id sooner sit at home than go to the pub for 105 minutes anyway, a waste of time.

• Advertisement

There was. The pubs weren't enforcing them and the punters were happy to fly against the rules.

rules, rules, rules, have we become that pathetic and shallow as a nation that anyone who even dares to bend the "rules" is vilified , the pandemic really has brought out the absolute worst in people (im not rnecessarily referring to you BTW, im talking in general) anyone who doesnt abide by the letter of the law 100% gets viified by some people, a tragic state of affairs.

I, like many cannot take anything that NPHET or FFG say seriously,they are an unmitigated nightmare so if that makles me a "rule breaker" then so be it!!!

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Any pub in a city centre will be enforcing time limit to increase turnover cant blame them really anywhere outside that won't be if you go into a quiet spot on a Sunday afternoon they are not gonna hop you after 1.45h.

Not all pubs in town will be, word gets around anyway which pubs are and which pubs arent, i was looking forward to going to Oscars in Smithfield but the last time they said they were not adhering to the 105 min limit and would instead allow people to stay for 3 hours, this time around they have backtracked and said its 105 minutes inside and 130 minutes outside, so i wont be going there anyway.

in addition to this, people can still make multiple bookings and this will likely the case, a complete and utter farce instead of opening all pubs where everyone can drink in peace instesd of this having to book and stupid time limits in some establishments, we're a bleedin laughing stock.

rules, rules, rules, have we become that pathetic and shallow as a nation that anyone who even dares to bend the "rules" is vilified , the pandemic really has brought out the absolute worst in people (im not rnecessarily referring to you BTW, im talking in general) anyone who doesnt abide by the letter of the law 100% gets viified by some people, a tragic state of affairs.

I, like many cannot take anything that NPHET or FFG say seriously,they are an unmitigated nightmare so if that makles me a "rule breaker" then so be it!!!

Sure. You’ve got your excuses in early as to why you shouldn’t obey the rules. Sounds like you’re a right rebel, if your own account of yourself is accurate. I suppose we always have to take account of dobbers who won’t play by the rules, even in an emergency situation. They’re the people who can’t be relied upon to behave admirably. Thankfully, most people generally stick to the rules and help the whole thing run as smoothly as it can under the circumstances.

I wonder if you take your fair share of responsibility when the numbers go up or pubs close again?...(Joke: I don’t expect anyone with the attitude you expressed above to take any responsibility).

And the shame is that pent up hospitality demand could be shared if non food pubs could open under the same guidlines or even outdoors and not have people traveling miles extra further away than the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

speckle wrote: »
    And the shame is that pent up hospitality demand could be shared if non food pubs could open under the same guidlines or even outdoors and not have people traveling miles extra further away than the local.

I've heard of places doing first come first served now cos of multiple bookings not showing up due to ludicrous time limits.

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »

Won't find me disagreeing with that

I've heard of places doing first come first served now cos of multiple bookings not showing up due to ludicrous time limits.

Cancellations have become a thing all over business. Lots of businesses just can’t afford to lose the business through customers not keeping appointments. Lots of places have started taking booking deposits. Might not be a bad idea.

But when people have a few drinks they’re more likely to not pay attention to the rules or cancel a booking they won’t make. Just human nature.

I know of one very large establishment in Dublin city centre thats been overwhelmed with booking requests but the same thing happened in the summer and there was last minute cancellations and no shows.

So now they've gone with 30% bookings 70% walk ups, first come first served. Doesn’t seem like a bad idea tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lots of places have started taking booking deposits. Might not be a bad idea.
    +1, lots of restaurants do this. I some one on twitter talking of no-shows a good while back and people recommended deposits, the restaurant owner said it might put people off. There were loads of replies in support of a deposit system, I don't think a single person was against the idea.

Restaurants have to factor the cost of no-shows into their meal prices, so could likely afford to charge people less if they have a deposit system.

Years back we had a deposit system at one of our work parties as the owner was so sick of people not turning up and being charged the full amount for them. A few moaned about it, the very people who often did not show up, others were furious about no-shows too too as that wasted money could have gone in to the drink kitty.

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, lots of restaurants do this. I some one on twitter talking of no-shows a good while back and people recommended deposits, the restaurant owner said it might put people off. There were loads of replies in support of a deposit system, I don't think a single person was against the idea.

Yeah I don’t have a problem with it. I’ve seen some places encouraging customers to book through the website too as they are allowed fewer staff on site so they can’t have them stop work to answer the phone. Makes sense to be fair. Might prefer talking to a person to make a booking but who really cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

There's no substitute for the pub.

A man after me own heart!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Neowise wrote: »
    I agree.

If a rural village was to build a barrier around itself, and ban all crossings of that barrier, and after two weeks was still covid free, then they should be able to goto "Tier 1" or 'level 1 of living with covid'.
    But if anybody was to leave the village, they would not be allowed to return, or if they did return or someone new was to enter the vilage, they would need to quarantine for 2 weeks and the level of the village be raised until their quarantines were over.

I don't like the sound of this to be honest.

I mean it would soon start to bring a whole new meaning to being parochial.

It sounds like something out of a Twilight Zone Episode. I can imagine the children turning amber eyed after midnight and sacrificing the elderly? Sounds very sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoping to get in somewhere tomorrow, lots of places in Waterford doing walk ins

No point trying to book somewhere as i be on my lonesome and more than likely they will say there booked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes it looks like it will be very difficult for individuals to book anywhere.I managed to get a reservation for tomorrow evening but am going to try a walk in Saturday afternoon on my own for the Scotland match and back later on Saturday evening. Hopefully this is the end of having to buy the dreaded slabs of Dutch Gold or whatever, the cans are absolute muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes it looks like it will be very difficult for individuals to book anywhere.I managed to get a reservation for tomorrow evening but am going to try a walk in Saturday afternoon on my own for the Scotland match and back later on Saturday evening. Hopefully this is the end of having to buy the dreaded slabs of Dutch Gold or whatever, the cans are absolute muck

The bookings are a disaster imo. Talk is a lot of bars expecting no shows as people book "just in case" pubs so they have somewhere if they are moved on. It'll be interesting times for sure.
    Now as for the end of muck cans, that is on you man. The one advantage to drinking at home is you have much wider selection of drinks than are available in the pub and for a lower price. I do miss being able to buy a single measure of a spirit I want to try though..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

hynesie08 wrote: »

spot on

These xmas jumper wearing attention whores seem to fall in to 3 groups.

1.The one who thinks he is a comedian, when in fact he is a loud mouthed pain in the hole

2. The pissed up over inflated egomaniac who thinks he is good gift to women and comes across like a creepy b@stard

3. The angry one who thinks he is conor mcgregor, walks like a pigeon, left leg right shoulder, usually a pissed up little twat with small man syndrome, or else the big crooked jaw rugby lover who you would think would know better after all the slaps he got in the past.

Thankfully my local would not tolerate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

You forget one of thing most of these Christmas jumper brigade only come out once a year or some body paying for it they should not be allowed in any where I know from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pub in Donabate/Portrane The Brook, isn't allowed to open. It was originally just a pub, was passed on to the son afaik, he wanted to do it up a few years ago as a gastropub. Wasn't enough room to attach the kitchen to the pub, so he built a stand alone building next door for a kitchen serve the pub. Has been a food pub for a few years now.

Not allowed open as the kitchen isn't "attached" to the pub. What a stupid rule.

spot on

These xmas jumper wearing attention whores seem to fall in to 3 groups.

1.The one who thinks he is a comedian, when in fact he is a loud mouthed pain in the hole

2. The pissed up over inflated egomaniac who thinks he is good gift to women and comes across like a creepy b@stard

3. The angry one who thinks he is conor mcgregor, walks like a pigeon, left leg right shoulder, usually a pissed up little twat with small man syndrome, or else the big crooked jaw rugby lover who you would think would know better after all the slaps he got in the past.

Thankfully my local would not tolerate them.

Or just other people having a Christmas blow out, doing things they wouldn’t do every weekend. Being a bit annoying but easily ignored if you’re with good company.

The pub is a pretty free space. I can have my craic sitting, chatting and sipping pints. Other people can skull pints and have a sing-song, others can graft and try to get the ride. None of my business to police or rate other people’s craic as long as I’m not being asked to do something I don’t want to do.

I don’t own the pubs I go to, I’m just a customer like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SteM

Hilarious thread. People to government - open the pubs so people can enjoy themselves.... but just not in a way that annoys me and my proper drinking mates.

SteM wrote: »
    Hilarious thread. People to government - open the pubs so people can enjoy themselves.... but just not in a way that annoys me and my proper drinking mates.

Ah, we have another interloper with a flashing geansaí in our midst. Your strawberry daiquiri is on its way, umbrella and all for the early shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SteM

Ah, we have another interloper with a flashing geansaí in our midst. Your strawberry daiquiri is on its way, umbrella and all for the early shower.

You're quite the comic sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Given how long they have been kept closed, the question some of us are asking is if they will open rather than when. Nine months and counting of zero revenue is a sure fire way of becoming insolvent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

or else the big crooked jaw rugby lover who you would think would know better after all the slaps he got in the past

I laughed out loud.

• Advertisement

Getting cross about other people having craic incorrectly. Some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement