Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Shamrocks were clinical and professional about their job.but Thomas's were poor. Daly had a interesting article today about putting Galway champions in Leinster. If they did I don't think they would make a club final for a while.
    Talk of young guys going straight into championship teams under Cody just won't happen let them win their u20 if they can.
    If Joey gets a grip on the number 3 shirt I don't think he will be moved. The Delaney card could give him that opportunity. He has a allstar for that job.Henry will get a lot of the plaudits for yesterday but His big brother is as good a hurling coach as their is .he has some cv

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Congrats to Shamrocks a very clinical performance and had plenty more left in the tank. Great speech by Fennelly and great to see the videos of the players having plenty of time for the young lads who look up to them. Said it before on here I believe Colin should be at 14, there’s where all his best performances have been. He is strong fast and always wins frees he will have days where he’s fouled and refs don’t give anything and he doesn’t win any ball but he’s a serious threat and Wexford and Dublin both have good full backs so we need someone dangerous there. Adrian Mullen very good could have had 6 points hope he’s part of the senior set up. Joey and Daren will be good additions to the backs and we’ll have a completely different team come championship.

Tj top class again he’s the best at setting up scores so we need forwards who can score and that’s why Adrian should be there in my opinion. Great to see the class of ballyhale no off the ball nonsense and Henry keeping his cool at the final whistle congrats to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Shamrocks were clinical and professional about their job.but Thomas's were poor. Daly had a interesting article today about putting Galway champions in Leinster. If they did I don't think they would make a club final for a while.
    Talk of young guys going straight into championship teams under Cody just won't happen let them win their u20 if they can.
    If Joey gets a grip on the number 3 shirt I don't think he will be moved. The Delaney card could give him that opportunity. He has a allstar for that job.Henry will get a lot of the plaudits for yesterday but His big brother is as good a hurling coach as their is .he has some cv

He has made an exception for players like Delaney, Walsh, Shefflin and Fitzpatrick, Adrian Mullen may not make the championship team but I think he will be very close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

He threw in mossy last year after a good league.I suppose alot will depend on training and what way we are with injuries but things will be ramped up and with the evenings begining to get longer and training moving into nowlan park training should be good.
    Not much talk about the injured lads but hopefully buckley,kevin kelly,aylward arent far away while blanchfield and donnely can also make an impact.
    I think we're going to appeal the delaney red card so hopefully he might be available for the dublin match.
    Team id like to see hopefully for the first round
    Murphy
    Murphy,delaney,deegan
    Joey,padraig,fogarty
    Leahy,maher
    Wally,tj,hogan
    Billy,colin,mullen.
    If delaney is out and lawlor is injured our options will be limited but hopefully now we've seen the last of the padraig experiment.I wonder could joey work at six and moving padraig back to his number 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

With everyone fit we have a good squad with good options.mullen has more talent than malone and connor martin put together and should be in any matchday squad.for me be is better than mossy.dublin could reach league final or even win it and will make 1st round game a belter.myself and others put leahy and maher together in midfield yet cody never seems to start them together anyone offer a reason why he doesn"t

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    With everyone fit we have a good squad with good options.mullen has more talent than malone and connor martin put together and should be in any matchday squad.for me be is better than mossy.dublin could reach league final or even win it and will make 1st round game a belter.myself and others put leahy and maher together in midfield yet cody never seems to start them together anyone offer a reason why he doesn"t

For me the issue with Leahy and to a lesser extent Maher is that they are good when the team is on the front foot but there is question marks over them defensively and they do go missing at times. Maher does try hard but I think he has problems with his confidence if things go wrong, Leahy needs to show more aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Would he think they are two similar type hurlers, attack minded who like to take a score on the run from midfield possible leaving gaps behind them? Leahy more so than Maher.
    Don’t get me wrong two very good hurlers, but he seems to like a Conor Fogarty/michael fennelly type hurler in midfield who falls back and hurls in front of the half back line too,

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Would he think they are two similar type hurlers, attack minded who like to take a score on the run from midfield possible leaving gaps behind them? Leary more so than Maher.
    Don’t get me wrong two very good hurlers, but he seems to like a Conor Fogarty/michael fennelly type hurler in midfield who falls back and hurls in front of the half back line too,

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

7 weeks until the massive 1st round Leinster v Dublin. Ballyhale players have really put themselves into contention, lads like the 2 Mullen's and Colin Fennelly really playing out of there skin. Very good opportunity for all squad players to put there hands up in training and club matches over the next few weeks.

Very poor league for Kilkenny.

has any player stood up in the league this year?

Eoin Muprhy, Conor Delaney any others?

Forwards very poor, no goal threat all league

Village87 wrote: »
    7 weeks until the massive 1st round Leinster v Dublin. Ballyhale players have really put themselves into contention, lads like the 2 Mullen's and Colin Fennelly really playing out of there skin. Very good opportunity for all squad players to put there hands up in training and club matches over the next few weeks.

Very poor league for Kilkenny.

has any player stood up in the league this year?

Eoin Muprhy, Conor Delaney any others?

Forwards very poor, no goal threat all league

Ger Aylward before he got injured, Liam Blanchfield looked good despite limited playing time, Walter Walsh looks in good shape, Huw Lawlor looked promising, nobody really starred to be fair. Lads like Tommy Walsh just about survived with their reputation intact without enhancing it.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Ger Aylward before he got injured, Liam Blanchfield looked good despite limited playing time, Walter Walsh looks in good shape, Huw Lawlor looked promising, nobody really starred to be fair. Lads like Tommy Walsh just about survived with their reputation intact without enhancing it.

How many are on the panel now? Panel for the first time ever looks easier to get on than get off it.

How many are on the panel now? Panel for the first time ever looks easier to get on than get off it.

Suprising comment given the reports that 3 players have left the panel over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Of course it is easier to get on to the senior panel now, that's really stating the obvious.

There will be 30, or so, players named on the Championship panel soon. Whoever those players are need our support more than ever. There's no point in nit picking at individuals as each one will contribute what ever they can. The day is gone when a starting 15 will finish a game. It's a panel game more than ever before.

Look at Limerick and Galway, All Ireland Finalists, each getting just ONE All Star in the forwards. That reflects the way the game is gone.

I expect the new young players to step up and blossom when a few more experienced players are involved. It's been a tough, learning, experience for the players in the league. That experience will stand to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Niall Brasill gave a good account of himself last Saturday , had the vision to pick out players with perfect passes he scored three points himself. It must be very hard for a player when they are dropped after all they put in the hard work graft during the winter it just does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brasdil has looked sharp.during his cameo appearnces and last saturday wherevhe got some good game time.lawlor looked promising but injured curtailed him.other than lawlor ger loojed very sharp and again he got injured.will be interesting in the coming weeks.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Niall Brasill gave a good account of himself last Saturday , had the vision to pick out players with perfect passes he scored three points himself. It must be very hard for a player when they are dropped after all they put in the hard work graft during the winter it just does not happen.

Is brassil dropped?he definitely put his hand up last weekend.its a pity luke scanlon or bill sheehan didnt get a good league under their belt but these two probably need to bulk up a bit.Aylward is another id worry about he cant seem to get on any decent run back for two games gone for 3.Kevin kelly also seems a good bit off the pace hopefully they can get injury free and show some form in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

Was Nial dropped?? Is he still U20?

I find that very hard to understand if he was dropped, he is U20 this year I thought .

I find that very hard to understand if he was dropped, he is U20 this year I thought .

He along with Mullen is u20 this year.just the way you said it i thought you heard he was dropped i would of thought he was a little in front of some in the pecking order.id try carry him and get experience into him this year.

brookville wrote: »
    He along with Mullen is u20 this year.just the way you said it i thought you heard he was dropped i would of thought he was a little in front of some in the pecking order.id try carry him and get experience into him this year.

Sorry I was referring to Pat Lyng it must have been hard on him to sit out the second half . I know he got chances it didn't work out for him but like a lot of lads on the panel gave what they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Update from Kilkenny People today, says 7 from the Shamrocks will be joining up with the Kilkenny squad TJ & Richie Reid, Colin Fennelly, Joey Holden, Evan Shefflin & Darren & Adrian Mullen.
    Brian Cody said he hoped Cillian Buckley, would be able to resume hurling shortly, but there was no deadline.
    Padraig Walsh missed the Cork match with a muscle strain, and Ger Aylward is all but ready go after picking up a hamstring injury.
    Robert Lennon had surgery on a hip injury, so he will be out of action for a while.

robwen wrote: »
    Update from Kilkenny People today, says 7 from the Shamrocks will be joining up with the Kilkenny squad TJ & Richie Reid, Colin Fennelly, Joey Holden, Evan Shefflin & Darren & Adrian Mullen.
    Brian Cody said he hoped Cillian Buckley, would be able to resume hurling shortly, but there was no deadline.
    Padraig Walsh missed the Cork match with a muscle strain, and Ger Aylward is all but ready go after picking up a hamstring injury.
    Robert Lennon had surgery on a hip injury, so he will be out of action for a while.
    The shamrocks lads should hopefully give training a lift.Its also good to hear buckley could resume hurling shortly and aylward is nearly back.Hopefully now all the injuries are behind him now.
    Anyone know how long luke scanlon,kevin kelly,huw lawlor or bill sheehan are away from training?I think the county are together till the end of the month before they go back to their clubs.
    congrats to kierans yesterday who are in another final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Delighted to see all the Shamrocks lads named in the panel. It would have been no harm to have Eoin Cody in there too, though he's still a bit young. Richie Reid (particularly when he was in midfield) and Adrian Mullen were excellent in the club final, would love both of them to push on now and challenge for a starting spot come championship. There are plenty of jerseys up for grabs.

Great to hear that Buckley isn't far away too. Seems like we're building a good panel, but we really need a few lads to step up out of the pack and make some jerseys their own. Hard to pick our best 15, performances are a bit up and down, and lots of lads with similar abilities.

Positive news on the injury front. Any update on Huw Lawlor? A strong panel as a poster said. A game plan is as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

I think Richie Reid is a serious option for a place in the starting team - either at midfield or even no 7. He strikes the ball really well which would help when we are building out from the back with short passes. He is obviously well able to take a score too. As has been pointed out there are a lot of places up for grabs. Kilkenny had a poor league really overall so the Ballyhale lads have not lost any ground.

I think Evan Shefflin will be there as a long term option - this year might be a bit too soon. Joey Holden could start the first day if Conor Delaney is banned and who knows, he could make the position his own if he goes well enough. Conor Delaney has to start somewhere when he comes back though.

Reflecting back on the club final you have to wonder about the style of hurling Ballyhale played on the day. Their positioning and use of space was very clever. They executed everything really well. They mixed the short with the long and always seemed to pick the right option. While inter county is admittedly another level up with sweepers widespread, I would nontheless love to see the county impose a similar type of hurling this summer. There are a number of ways of dealing with the blanket defences and I want to see us lead the charge in eliminating that scourge for our great, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Essentially Ballyhale played the same hurling as Kilkenny though didn't they? The ball going into the forwards was still cross field balls on top of the full forward line or direct ball to Colin. The difference was that Thomas' didn't have the bodies back or around the middle that county teams do. I'd have to watch it back though as I'm only going from memory.

I thought TJs comments about Henry adapting to modern hurling was interesting....

Re: Joey, I'm a fan of his at corner back and never agreed with the criticism which I thought was ridiculous but I think mentally both him and Cody won't want to put him back at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Essentially Ballyhale played the same hurling as Kilkenny though didn't they? The ball going into the forwards was still cross field balls on top of the full forward line or direct ball to Colin. The difference was that Thomas' didn't have the bodies back or around the middle that county teams do. I'd have to watch it back though as I'm only going from memory.

I thought TJs comments about Henry adapting to modern hurling was interesting....

Re: Joey, I'm a fan of his at corner back and never agreed with the criticism which I thought was ridiculous but I think mentally both him and Cody won't want to put him back at full back.

The quality of ball given to the forward line was very good and much different to how Kilkenny have been playing. There was a lot less high hopeful 50/50 balls lumped in, and much more low ball to the forward who was out in front of his man, or into space. Kilkenny have a lot less players who can win their own ball in the air (probably only Donnelly, TJ and Wally can do it consistently). I'd back the likes of Leahy, Ryan, etc to do serious damage with better quality ball and less 50/50s (or worse). I think that's why we go long periods where our forwards can't win a ball when they are outnumbered by the sweeper system.

Obviously it's easier to give your forwards better quality ball when you are dominant in midfield and defense like Ballyhale were, but there was a nice mixture between short, long, finding free men in better positions and finding balls into space where the forward was favourite to win.

Surely Ballyhale have 4/5 players to start for Kilkenny. Very sharp and clever on the ball compared to that of Kilkenny during the league. Heard a few players dropped during the week. Plenty of players in there must be looking over there shoulder as they have got loads of chances and have not took there chances. Players like Kevin Kelly, Conor o’ Shea, Luke Scanlon, Jason Cleere, Rob Lennon to think off the top of my head.

Surely Ballyhale have 4/5 players to start for Kilkenny. Very sharp and clever on the ball compared to that of Kilkenny during the league. Heard a few players dropped during the week. Plenty of players in there must be looking over there shoulder as they have got loads of chances and have not took there chances. Players like Kevin Kelly, Conor o’ Shea, Luke Scanlon, Jason Cleere, Rob Lennon to think off the top of my head.
    who was dropped?they said conor o shea and pat lyng and conor martin are gone?

• Advertisement

Many posters akready mentioned the players that are dropped/left. Unless there are two Conor O'Sheas!

The talent available isn't anything like the once in a life time talent we had up to recent years. We can't afford to be so choosy writing players off. Cody will pick who he thinks will have something to offer. It won't work out for every player, in the same way as it didn't in the past. A lot of patience, encouragement andsupport is required. The lads brought in are willing to give their bit, supporters will have to do the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement