Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Village87

Any teams picked for the match in Cork tonight. I’d imagine Cody will be picking a strong team with Dublin in mind in a few weeks. Hopefully he has a solution for the midfield and half back line which were massive underperformes in the league. Hopefully the introduction of TJ, Colin Fennelly, Adrian Mullen along with a fitter Riche Hogan give the forwards a much needed boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BORO BILL

Heard Delaney centre back Deegan full Wally midfield and Mullen and tj in half forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

BORO BILL wrote: »
    Heard Delaney centre back Deegan full Wally midfield and Mullen and tj in half forward line

There must be more playing then that

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

The All Ireland Colleges final is usually shown on tv. Unfortunately not this year. Best of luck to Kierans and Castlecomer on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Any teams picked for the match in Cork tonight. I’d imagine Cody will be picking a strong team with Dublin in mind in a few weeks. Hopefully he has a solution for the midfield and half back line which were massive underperformes in the league. Hopefully the introduction of TJ, Colin Fennelly, Adrian Mullen along with a fitter Riche Hogan give the forwards a much needed boost.

didnt go tonight but 16 each at half time.very open as you would expect.From seeing the picture of the kk team aomething like this lined out.
    murphy
    murphy,deegan,tommy
    padraig,delaney,
    maher wally
    mullen.tj.aylward
    hogan,blanch,brassil.
    good to see kelly and darren brennan back on the subs.Joey also a sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

mullinr2 wrote: »
    The All Ireland Colleges final is usually shown on tv. Unfortunately not this year. Best of luck to Kierans and Castlecomer on Saturday

They are both in the TG4 YouTube channel

Backs got an awful run around in Cork tonight. Few replaced by ht.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

mullinr2 wrote: »

On TG4 via Youtube
    https://www.tg4.ie/ga/beo/youtube-sport-tg4/

Backs got an awful run around in Cork tonight. Few replaced by ht.
    how did mullen or the other fowards go?

brookville wrote: »

TJ excellent, really hit the ground running. Wally very impressive midfield. Mullen dangerous and great energy levels for his first match at senior level.

All forwards lively in the first half, not so much in the second half. Lots of changes and stoppages. Big problems in the backs . No pace

• Advertisement

TJ excellent, really hit the ground running. Wally very impressive midfield. Mullen dangerous and great energy levels for his first match at senior level.

All forwards lively in the first half, not so much in the second half. Lots of changes and stoppages. Big problems in the backs . No pace
    thanks.
    cork fowards will destroy ya when let hurl.Dissapointing to hear that who were we missing tonight from our backs?i seen buckley running the roads hopefully his not far away

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I know it's only a charity game but that's an awful amount to concede

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Team and scorers from tonight:

KILKENNY: E. Murphy, P. Murphy, P. Deegan, T. Walsh, P. Walsh, C. Delaney, C. Fogarty, W. Walsh, J. Maher, A. Mullen, TJ Reid, G. Aylward, R. Hogan, L. Blanchfield, N. Brassil.

Subs: J. Clear for Fogarty, C. Wallace for P. Murphy, J. Hodlen for Deegan, A. Murphy for Aylward (all HT); K. Kelly for Hogan (49); D.Brennan for E. Murphy (60); C. fogarty Brassil (64); P. Murphy for Cleere (66).

Scorers for Kilkenny: TJ Reid (0-10, 4 frees); W. Walsh (0-4); J. Maher, G. Aylward (0-2 each); R. Hogan, A. Murphy, K. Kelly, N. Brassil, L. Blanchfield (0-1 each).

Good to see adrian mullen getting his first match under his belt.Probably not much to read into the match but it looks a strong team and its great to have tj back.
    tommy getting a lot of gametime hopefully it will stand to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Good to see adrian mullen getting his first match under his belt.Probably not much to read into the match but it looks a strong team and its great to have tj back.

Mullen did ok for his first match but will probably need a year or more to find his feet. Young Tommy got a bit of a runaround from lehane. Richie came off injured

kk1970 wrote: »
    Mullen did ok for his first match but will probably need a year or more to find his feet. Young Tommy got a bit of a runaround from lehane. Richie came off injured

Danesfort manager must be delighted with Brian Cody, Richie gets himself back ready for games a week before club games and Brian Cody starts him in a challenge match and off injured. Would it not have been more beneficial to get him through the club matches before putting him back at Inter county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 swengall

Senior Hurling League/Championship First Round

Saturday April 6th
    Bennetsbridge v James Stephens in Danesfort at 2pm Village
    Ballyhale Shamrocks v Clara in Bennetsbridge at 6pm Shamrocks
    St Patricks v The Rower/Inistioge in St Johns Park at 4pm Draw

Sunday April 7th
    Mullinavat v O'Loughlin Gaels in Thomastown at 12.30pm OLG
    Dicksboro v Graigue/Ballycallan in Ballyragget at 2.45pm Boro
    Erins Own v Danesfort in Jenkinstown at 5pm Fort

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Danesfort manager must be delighted with Brian Cody, Richie gets himself back ready for games a week before club games and Brian Cody starts him in a challenge match and off injured. Would it not have been more beneficial to get him through the club matches before putting him back at Inter county level.

Richie probably wanted to play to be fair. He's probably desperate to get back playing well in that Kilkenny jersey.

He seems to just keep getting injured though, I wonder are his inter-county days coming to an end? 31 in 5-months time and a lot of mileage in that body.

kk1970 wrote: »

i wonder could tommy be a bit caught for pace during the summer?i would still persist with him this is a huge step up.i would like to see darren mullen giving a go corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Richie probably wanted to play to be fair. He's probably desperate to get back playing well in that Kilkenny jersey.

He seems to just keep getting injured though, I wonder are his inter-county days coming to an end? 31 in 5-months time and a lot of mileage in that body.

What kind of injury did he get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Were you not saying earlier during the week that Cody would probably pick a strong team Richie included with the Dublin match coming up . Hopefully its not to bad with Richie and the Danesfort manager will have a happy outcome.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I think the county board resources would have a lot to do with getting Richie back ready. If he was a ordinary club player with similar injuries he might never play again.

The other thing was, This was a Charity Match. It was more about the charity than the match, In my opinion the proceeds from the "relegation" match should have been used similarly. It went ahead in a no bells and whistle style. I hope it raised much needed funds for a GAA man. What does annoy me, is where were all those people who ere jumping up and down about the Miller thing and PuC? When it came to helping an ordinary GAA man like Kieran O'Connor. Don't get me going on the FAI crowd. There are not enough questions asked about their finances compared to the GAA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

As a Cork man I'd just like to say fair play to Kilkenny for agreeing to travel down to us on a weekday to help out the charity. Not the first time either, Kilkenny travelled to Tipp for the Amanda Stapleton fundraiser match a few months ago too.

Bualadh Bos Kilkenny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Brian017

Good luck to the camogie team tomorrow who are going for their 4th straight League title in their 7th straight national final (4 League Finals, 3 AI Finals). It’s a shame the haven’t more All-Irelands to show for their dominance in recent years especially given how close they were in the 2 they lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kieran's were not overly impressive in winning by 3 points. They were level at half time after playing with a strong wind, Eoin Cody hitting the post when he should have goaled. Athenry scored a good goal to lead by 2 points midway through the second half but Kieran's responded well scoring 1-3, David Blanchfield scoring 2 excellent points and Athenry missing a few frees. Kieran's just about deserved to win on a heavy pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I think jackie tyrell may have been a bit premature not ranking limerick in the top three hurling teams in the country. Maybe he was just trying to heap a bit of pressure on them.They are a fine team that have it all and will take some stopping this year. I'm hopeful kilkenny will play a bit smarter than we showed in the league but if we don't start playing with a plan we will not be in the top three teams. Most of the teams have men running off the ball in to space the hit and hope balls out of defence is redundant. Limerick galway clare Wexford etc will eat those up all day long. I don't mind losing we had a great time for ten plus years. If brian and company can come up with a game plan to compete with the best I'll be happy. The hurlers are coming we just need to see what the best are bringing to the table and come up with a plan.

I think jackie tyrell may have been a bit premature not ranking limerick in the top three hurling teams in the country. Maybe he was just trying to heap a bit of pressure on them.They are a fine team that have it all and will take some stopping this year. I'm hopeful kilkenny will play a bit smarter than we showed in the league but if we don't start playing with a plan we will not be in the top three teams. Most of the teams have men running off the ball in to space the hit and hope balls out of defence is redundant. Limerick galway clare Wexford etc will eat those up all day long. I don't mind losing we had a great time for ten plus years. If brian and company can come up with a game plan to compete with the best I'll be happy. The hurlers are coming we just need to see what the best are bringing to the table and come up with a plan.

Kilkenny's problem trying to work the ball out of backs is that there is to many mistakes. Dropped balls, bad striking, hooked down. Most time they tried to work it out it broke down. Lads like Darren Mullen with a high skill level is badly needed in there the way the modern game has gone. Murphy, Fogarty, Deegan, Holden make to many mistakes IMO.

Kilkenny's problem trying to work the ball out of backs is that there is to many mistakes. Dropped balls, bad striking, hooked down. Most time they tried to work it out it broke down. Lads like Darren Mullen with a high skill level is badly needed in there the way the modern game has gone. Murphy, Fogarty, Deegan, Holden make to many mistakes IMO.
    i think we're just not comfortable playing the short game.As someone else said our club teams mostly play orthodox 15 v 15 route one.very little sweepers or systems.i agree bout darren mullen very tidy and smart on the ball.Conor doheny is another smart hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree that we are making too many mistakes. Perhaps it's due to the fact that we are trying to play a type of game that is somewhat alien to the players/management.
    You mention four players you would drop and just one you'd introduce. What three other players would you bring in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

i think we're just not comfortable playing the short game.As someone else said our club teams mostly play orthodox 15 v 15 route one.very little sweepers or systems.i agree bout darren mullen very tidy and smart on the ball.Conor doheny is another smart hurler

I'd actually disagree with this point here, over the last few years there has definitely been a change in style of a few of the Kilkenny clubs, at senior level, Dicksboro, Ballyhale, O' Loughlins, the Bridge and the Village all play a variation of a short game more often than not, in fact anyone who was out in Ballyragget last year when the Village lost to Comer would say that maybe overdoing the short game in wet conditions against a very physical team didn't help them one bit.

Against Ballyhale last year the Boro used Buckley as a sweeper for a good chunk of the game, and the year before Larkin played very deep for the Village on their run to the county final, almost on their own half back line a lot of the time, before switching in as the game went on.

Ballyhale use a great combination of short ball and stick pass, as was seen this year, they benefit from having both strong ball winners and good stickmen such as Mullen mentioned above who have the skills to go both short and long.

The Bridge have operated a short game since Junior, if anything the last few years has seen them slightly change to a longer game aimed at hitting Blanchfield inside early, however watching them play last year they still like to get the two Morrisseys on the ball using short passing, Sean especially thrives in a team like this, where he can use his intelligence to find space and get away shots at goal.

O' Loughlins played a quite short running game for much of last year, they brought back Gorta later in the year and mixed it up a bit more when he was full forward but they use the ball very cleverly at the back and I'd expect with more and more of their younger players breaking through, they will continue to adopt a shorter running game over the coming years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement