Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Slightly off topic, but seems a reasonable place for a plug given the event in question...if you haven't watched it, you should take a look at "The Short Game" on Netflix. Great little doc about kids playing golf and plenty of pushy parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

benny79 wrote: »
    I am actually looking forward to this and am not really into these types of events. Anyone would have a top of the range swing if Tiger was your dad in fairness. Harrington is also playing with his son. Think you have to be a major winner to be eligible to enter.

I thought that too, but if that was the case what was Kuchar doing in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I thought that too, but if that was the case what was Kuchar doing in it?

Players champions could play as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For those interested/with access, HBO have started a two part documentary on Tiger

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12688688/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    For those interested/with access, HBO have started a two part documentary on Tiger

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12688688/

Apparently his agent isn't too happy about it? Think i saw a quote somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

etxp wrote: »
    Apparently his agent isn't too happy about it? Think i saw a quote somewhere.

He was no doubt out manoeuvred out of a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

rooney30 wrote: »
    He was no doubt out manoeuvred out of a few quid

I dont think Tiger likes anything writing or shown about him & his private life! Especially if hes not involved. He went mad over the Hank Hanely book and a few others. Plus not much was know about him and his private life till the scandal blow the lid off.. Even nowadays you dont here much non golf related unless you maybe live across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone know how to watch. I'd pay to see. Dont want to get a channel for a year or anything crazy like that.

But it is kinda a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Anyone know how to watch. I'd pay to see. Dont want to get a channel for a year or anything crazy like that.

But it is kinda a must watch.

HBO show, so I'd expect it to appear on sky documentaries soon enough. So now tv or sky if you are patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Just watched the first part of it, it’s absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

maddness wrote: »
    Just watched the first part of it, it’s absolutely brilliant.

Any info on where/how we can see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Watched both parts now, "acquired"
    Its a good mirror of the books I have read up to this point

Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
    Jeff-Benedict "Tiger-Woods"
    Michael Bamberger "The Second Life of Tiger Woods"

To name the big 3

3 hours isnt anyway to condense his life to this point, it could be almost a serial.

If you get a chance to see it...do!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

The first part was good. The majority of the second part was gutter trash but it did finish strongly after the first hour when it resumed to talk about golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Can't wait to see it - but was a mistake to make it so short.

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one. I'm far more interested about him as a person - as opposed to the golf stuff. I know the golf stuff.

All the books mentioned make him out to be a very flawed human being - not all his fault, but he seemed to be around a good few very poor influences - not to mention being famous is a complete bizarre life to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one.

I think the MJ one worked so well as you had Jordan himself speaking in every episode as well as people close to him. With Tiger he's never going to agree to sit down to something like this and not a chance anyone in his inner circle will break ranks. SO I think if it's 8x hour long episodes of just people talking at/about him with no inside insight it could get boring quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Any word on when this doc will be available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Lip Out wrote: »
    The first part was good. The majority of the second part was gutter trash but it did finish strongly after the first hour when it resumed to talk about golf.

Agreed, I much preferred the first part. It was more about the magic of his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Any word on when this doc will be available here?

Any word on whether his doc, Anthony Galea, features in the doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one.

I don't think so because there was TV cameras following him around behind the scenes for years and the documentary didn't really just focus on Jordan, but all the other team mates got good coverage.
    No chance Tiger was letting cameras follow him like that and there is not really anybody else in the team they could focus on apart from caddy obviously and maybe some token stuff with the docs/trainers/coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

The documentary is now available on demand on sky documentaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mk7775 wrote: »
    The documentary is now available on demand on sky documentaries

While you are there the zola budd one is very good also

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I watched the Tiger documentary series over the last few nights.

It wasn't bad, but learned nothing much new that we don't already know from reading the various books. I agree with someone above, the first episode was better. There was some great footage with Earl and Tiger in what everyone knows was a clearly dysfunctional relationship. As someone said, he was raised as a machine.

Notable that Faldo was the only prominent pro to take part in it, i.e., he was interviewed. OK, Rocco Mediate was interviewed too in the context of the US Open in 2008. But no other pros or any of Tiger's coaches took part. Williams was interviewed alright, and mentioned being dropped as caddie as we know.

But for Faldo to take part means he doesn't really give a flying f**k what Tiger thinks of him. Actually anything he said was praising Tiger for being phenomenal, etc. Still, you can imagine that Faldo won't be on Tiger's Christmas card list any more, even in the unlikely event he was before. The Master's champions dinner at Augusta in April should also be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

gotta say that documentary was even sadder than you would have imagined it

You'd feel sorry for him after that

I'm sure we have all seen GAA parents and the like, but not quite on that level

he seems to be reasonably rounded all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Where can this be seen?

Where can this be seen?

see above, but on the internet :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Where can this be seen?

Sky documentaries channel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I didn't realise his mother was nearly as bad as his father for pushing him on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

“My son is my gift to the world” “He will change the world” “He’ll eclipse Mandela, Gandhi” ....I have a controversial opinion. I think Earl was damaged by Vietnam and consequently was a clinical narcissist with a God complex. The extreme parenting (child abuse) caused serious damage to Tiger. As a result I believe he’s a sociopath (I’m a huge fan btw). The way he dumped his gf and cuts people out of his life after years of friendship, the using of women, the compartmentalization of emotions. Thankfully he channels it into golf and winning because in the right circumstances I believe he could be quite a dangerous person.

vladmydad wrote: »
    “My son is my gift to the world” “He will change the world” “He’ll eclipse Mandela, Gandhi” ....I have a controversial opinion. I think Earl was damaged by Vietnam and consequently was a clinical narcissist with a God complex. The extreme parenting (child abuse) caused serious damage to Tiger. As a result I believe he’s a sociopath (I’m a huge fan btw). The way he dumped his gf and cuts people out of his life after years of friendship, the using of women, the compartmentalization of emotions. Thankfully he channels it into golf and winning because in the right circumstances I believe he could be quite a dangerous person.

Obviously none of us have ever met him and don't know him at all so I'd give him the benefit really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I didn't realise his mother was nearly as bad as his father for pushing him on the golf course.

One as bad as the other.

I loved her nickname for Phil though

Advertisement