Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thread is amazingly quiet considering whats just happened...Rory thread would be on fire if he had won, nevermind winning in the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

still trying to make sense. I cant believe I saw what I saw.

Great sporting moment for me in my lifetime. Incredible. No words.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

What an incredible show of mental strength to grind it out those lack few holes . The intensity was unreal. Mcilroy needs to watch and learn. Wonder where that takes him in the world rankings ,A lot to ask for him to get back to number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Brings him to 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

rooney30 wrote: »
    What an incredible show of mental strength to grind it out those lack few holes . The intensity was unreal. Mcilroy needs to watch and learn. Wonder where that takes him in the world rankings ,A lot to ask for him to get back to number 1
    Why are people bringing Rory constantly into this? No one has for the last 20 years had the mental toughness Tiger has/had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keano wrote:
    Why are people bringing Rory constantly into this? No one has for the last 20 years had the mental toughness Tiger has/had.

Well Rory (and others) could usefully learn a bit from him.

I'm not really a fan of Tiger (and some of his obnoxious fans are a blight on the game) but there's no disputing his determination and work ethic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

First Up wrote: »
    Well Rory (and others) could usefully learn a bit from him.

I'm not really a fan of Tiger (and some of his obnoxious fans are a blight on the game) but there's no disputing his determination and work ethic.
    Without a doubt they all could learn from him. But he's very different to the modern day pro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Keano wrote: »
    Without a doubt they all could learn from him. But he's very different to the modern day pro now.

Different in what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

yesterday was a great day for the game of golf

• Advertisement

Chopper83 wrote: »
    Different in what sense?
    Maybe current day Tiger is the same as most of then i.e has a life outside the game but Tiger of a few years ago was just golf, golf and more golf.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've just seen a pic. of his fathers grave. Maybe that's how he wanted it but it's a paupers plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keano wrote:
    Maybe current day Tiger is the same as most of then i.e has a life outside the game but Tiger of a few years ago was just golf, golf and more golf.

I'm not very interested in his personal life but I know enough about it to suspect golf is still pretty central to it.

Its his recovery from his chronic back problems that impresses me most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

What an incredible show of mental strength to grind it out those lack few holes . The intensity was unreal. Mcilroy needs to watch and learn

There isn't really much anyone can learn from that. Some people can handle pressure others vacate their bowels under that sort of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A lot was said about his putting over the last while, but from 10 feet in yesterday when it mattered he was clutch. 8, 12 and 16 come to mind in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thread is amazingly quiet considering whats just happened...Rory thread would be on fire if he had won, nevermind winning in the same circumstances.
    Ah, it's kind of the last sting of a dying wasp really. It's kind of strange expecting a lot of fuss about the future of a 43 year old golfer having a rare victory. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been such a fan since I was 9, back in 97 when I sat with my dad watching the Masters like every year, and couldn’t believe this cool sexy guy playing against these stuffed shirts.
    Got to meet him at Mount Juliet in 2003 and he signed my hat.
    I’d love if he played the Irish Open though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Anyone think he might play Lahinch? He played two weeks before the Masters but not the week before...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Good question. Quite possible but personally I thinks its unlikely. Playing the Irish Open is a commitment to be in Ireland for the bones of if not an entire week. If he finishes on the Sunday and if you assume he'd want to be in Portrush on Monday week its unlikely he would go back. Even with private planes and all that a significant jet lag is still a factor in sports. You wouldn't zip back and forth within a week. That means he'd have to hang around Ireland for three weeks. I'd love it but cant see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

NDWC wrote: »
    Anyone think he might play Lahinch? He played two weeks before the Masters but not the week before...

Highly doubt it. I was listening to his press conference last night and one of the things he attributed to his win to a reduced schedule.

Majors and courses he has a good track record on going forward I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

HighLine wrote: »

Next two majors are on courses he has previously won (majors) on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Next two majors are on courses he has previously won (majors) on.

Yes but both Bethpage and Pebble Beach are much changed courses now from what they were when Tiger won the two major titles there in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

HighLine wrote: »
    Highly doubt it. I was listening to his press conference last night and one of the things he attributed to his win to a reduced schedule.

Would definitely be the right approach, similar to Federer, who now completely skips the clay court season. Cutting back the schedule and concentrating on the big one's has worked really well for him. Not comparing like with like but with 3 back ops the physical demands must still be huge for tiger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

h_2019041441819.jpg

h_2019041424707.jpg

h_2019041447324.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've just seen a pic. of his fathers grave. Maybe that's how he wanted it but it's a paupers plot.
    Yeah it's weird, the man was an Army Officer.

It must have been his wishes to be buried in an unmarked grave, or at least I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

NDWC wrote: »

No chance . Heard Mcginely more or less rule it out recently . He would need at least a million appearance off the bat to even consider

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No chance . Heard Mcginely more or less rule it out recently . He would need at least a million appearance off the bat to even consider

I don't think money comes into it for any decision Tiger makes... why would it?
    1m appearance... great now i have 741 million instead of just a measly 740 million.

Yeah it's weird, the man was an Army Officer.

It must have been his wishes to be buried in an unmarked grave, or at least I hope so.

It's in the tiger book released last year his wife was in charge of the funeral arrangements, it was kind of seen as revenge for his infidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    It's in the tiger book released last year his wife was in charge of the funeral arrangements, it was kind of seen as revenge for his infidelity.

My friend who hates tiger was trying to tell me it was because tiger is a grade A wanker. So I'm glad to hear it was someone else's decision for a legitimate reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rikand wrote: »
    My friend who hates tiger was trying to tell me it was because tiger is a grade A wanker. So I'm glad to hear it was someone else's decision for a legitimate reason :)
    Well I suppose your friend is indirectly correct based on the above. ;)

Advertisement