Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

cena wrote: »
    Any sign of Austin's podcasts coming back

He was replying to people on twitter saying it was returning soon, but that was mid February.

If it does, he has to go weekly. Two shows a week is killer. So much filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Anyone else listen to Cornette's newest show, his review of Mania 35?
    Nothing to do with Mania, but there's a section where Cornette is talking about how he'll be doing commentary for an upcoming NWA show and he says he's not looking forward to the Rock n Roll Express vs The Briscoes match because he thinks the Rock n Roll are a bit too old. Fair enough.
    But then it got weird when Cornette says he knows the Briscoes will do anything to win and that they won't be taking it easy on the Rock n Roll. Therefore it's the only match he's not looking forward to because it could get ugly.
    What? His entire podcast is a "shoot" yet he weirdly went all quasi kayfabe about this Rock n Roll/Briscoes match, just to sell it to people. What's funny is he is no doubt looking forward to calling that match the most.

That says to me that you can't believe anything else he says on the podcast, be it his hatred of Joey Ryan, Trump, Russo etc. It's all just a big work to keep himself over with the smarks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sirmanga wrote: »
    you can't believe anything else he says on the podcast, be it his hatred of Joey Ryan, Trump, Russo etc. It's all just a big work to keep himself over with the smarks.

Yeppers, best to take podcasts in general as entertainment rather than shoot, as everyone's always working. Whatever benefits them, or keeps them in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That says to me that you can't believe anything else he says on the podcast, be it his hatred of Joey Ryan, Trump, Russo etc. It's all just a big work to keep himself over with the smarks.

Cornette is delighted when wrestlers do whacky spots that he can get content out of. He's still doing the 1997 NWA gimmick. Wrestlers (who are intelligent in any way) are delighted when Cornette runs them down, the crazier the rant the better. Fans, whichever way they fall, are delighted when there's a new talking point to get hot about. It's all the content game and, yeah, I wouldn't take it to be representative of real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

JR and Conrads new podcast is up and running. Listened to the first podcast yesterday. I very much enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mr Kayfabe himself Double A is the newest guy to the podcast world joining Conrad later in the year.

The new pod will be called "Arn".

He won't discuss leaving the WWE as he said he signed a nondisclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

The Roast of Bruce Pritchard was without doubt the most awful episode of STWW and one of the most unbearably unlistenable things i have heard in a long time. Ive grown tired of the format now and have no interest in conrads other stuff either

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

TimesArrow wrote: »
    The Roast of Bruce Pritchard was without doubt the most awful episode of STWW and one of the most unbearably unlistenable things i have heard in a long time. Ive grown tired of the format now and have no interest in conrads other stuff either

Biggest sh_tshow ever, there was maybe one guy on it I found moderately funny. I powered through on my fourth attempt, I feel robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Watched till x pac got up and just couldn’t subject myself anymore to it horrendous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I don’t think brother Bruti understood the concept of the roast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm sure Cornette does know his fans like when he rants about Russo, which is handy for him as the hatred certainly seems real enough. Before we say it's all a work, consider the Cornette once tried to run Terry Landell over with a car, and had a confrontation with Santino Marella last year at some wrestling convention. Not to mention that Russo has taken out at least one restraining order against Cornette. Also, he once pulled a gun on Brock Lesnar.

Maybe his slipping into kayfabe regarding the Rock n Roll is because they're from the old NWA days when people still thought it was at least semi-legitimate, so he went into that mindset for a moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ambrose on talk is jericho is a good listen. Really shows the **** show that is the scripted promo in wwe and the creative process.

The Moxley interview on TIJ perfectly encompasses the problems in WWE:

He openly asks why WWE doesn't just hire actors. Why hire wrestlers if they're not going to be allowed any creative freedom?

Best line:
    "6 years of going into this old mans office, arguing with this old man to explain why wearing a surgical mask is a stupid idea, why carrying a little red wagon to the ring is a stupid idea, why maiming a mannequin in the ring is a stupid idea".

Vince is a great businessman, but he is remarkably out of touch with his remaining audience, as well as the millions who stopped watching, and WWE will continue to produce mostly dreadful TV until he's gone.

He also mentions how outraged he was at having to use Roman's cancer as an angle. Vince insisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Vince is an awful person. He used Eddie Guerrero's death as an angle in the Orton/Mysterio feud years ago too. He'll exploit anything if it think it'll make him money.

What I took from the entire Ambrose situation is that WWE and Vince are terrible at managing the talent they have at their disposal. Ambrose/Moxley was one of their biggest stars for the last 5 years. The fans loved him whether he was face or heel. He was the most popular member of the Shield yet in comparison with his stable mates he was given the least shine. Then when he finally got himself mega over on Smackdown they took the title off him and moved him back to Raw where he was stuck in the midcard. He was right to leave, and if rumours are to be believed HHH is right to be pissed off over what's happening on the main roster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Clegg wrote: »
    He was right to leave, and if rumours are to be believed HHH is right to be pissed off over what's happening on the main roster.

It must be frustrating for Trips spending ages building up lads on NXT only for Vince to bury them upon calling them up to the Main Roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Moxley also doesn't sound bitter eithir like a lot o these interviews to be like

I've given up watching Raw & Smackdown for the past month. I am sure I will go back but I just found it such a waste of my time. I can't watch Baron Corbin. I just can't do it. And Reigns & Elias being on SD killed that show for me. It's just not the wrestling I want to spend my time watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Did anyone else think, the stuff he was asked to do and complaining as being stupid is exactly the type of stuff Y2J would get over AF....in his last WWE run he got a list and a pen over FFS.

One of his catchphrases is just to call people 'stupid idiots' ie not a whole lot dissimilar to calling them smelly.

Kind of ironic who he did the big shoot interview with....granted the AEW connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Moxley really does bury Vince in the podcast, I'm 50 odds mins in and himself and Jericho really agree on how draining it is to have to deal with Vince and the way things are run in WWE

If things are done properly in AEW and they do less of the Cody throwing hammers at chairs, then they really have a chance of being at the very least bigger than TNA ever were

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

ericzeking wrote: »
    Did anyone else think, the stuff he was asked to do and complaining as being stupid is exactly the type of stuff Y2J would get over AF....in his last WWE run he got a list and a pen over FFS.

One of his catchphrases is just to call people 'stupid idiots' ie not a whole lot dissimilar to calling them smelly.

Kind of ironic who he did the big shoot interview with....granted the AEW connection.

Spot on. Bruce Pritchard has noted several guys who never put their heart into things, it never works unless invested.

To be honest I think he should be more grateful also, he shat on the company that made him a star in the interview and burned all bridges.

He's not a good wrestler and his promos have always been overrated.

I'm sure most of you will disagree but hes one person I'm not looking forward to watching in AEW.

On a side note, yes WWE creative clearly needs sorting. Create the general storyline and let the wrestler cut the promo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

To be honest I think he should be more grateful also, he shat on the company that made him a star in the interview and burned all bridges.

In fairness he said several times that he was grateful to WWE, turned him into a man, set him up for life, allowed him to meet his wife

If everything he said is true, then he can shat away, with how quiet he's been in giving outside interviews while in WWE he has a bit of credibility when it comes to crapping on things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Spot on. Bruce Pritchard has noted several guys who never put their heart into things, it never works unless invested.

He's not a good wrestler and his promos have always been overrated.

I'm sure most of you will disagree but hes one person I'm not looking forward to watching in AEW.

On a side note, yes WWE creative clearly needs sorting. Create the general storyline and let the wrestler cut the promo.

They wanted him to mock his friends cancer diagnosis so badly that the company would have lost sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The rumour about him and Brock not getting on seems to be true judging by the "That's why Vince pays him all that money to come in and ruin his company" comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

J. Marston wrote: »
    The rumour about him and Brock not getting on seems to be true judging by the "That's why Vince pays him all that money to come in and ruin his company" comment.

Dean was heavily critical of their WM32 match because he wanted a whole worked out, back and forth thing but Brock basically said "i'm going to win anyway, so i'm just going to beat the **** out of you for the entire match" and Vince agreed with him.

He put a bunch of effort into planning out the match and was "met with laziness" when he pitched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

lawlolawl wrote: »
    He put a bunch of effort into planning out the match and was "met with laziness" when he pitched it.

Lesnar had the Hunt fight lined up & did as little as humanly possible for the match, not like he's even hard working 90% of the time anyway.

It was a good interview. Seemed to really stress how he wanted WWE to change their creative process as I'm sure most of his former co-workers would agree with.
    Was right to choose to do it with Jericho as Chris seemed to be close as most to getting along with Vince. Austin when he interviewed him was still in the 1998 mentality of WWE where on screen talent seemingly had more but not entire freedom to tweak their output. Jericho who was around WWE at the time still knows how to work around Vince to get what you want. The EC3 thing was sad & I imagine it explains why Vince made EC3 look like an idiot since then.

What Dean did with the video he recorded with a friend was similar to what Mustafa Ali did with his street based promos & those are about 1,000 times better than anything WWE ever did with him. Looking at the "Times Up" teaser its similar to what WWE used to do back in the early 2000's to build up a new character. Even someone like Nathan Jones or Mordecai were made look interesting. Except the MOX reveal video was somewhat modern; most of what WWE do is clearly out of touch. Now they have Aleister Black talking nonsense months after he has already debuted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

ERG89 wrote: »
    Lesnar had the Hunt fight lined up & did as little as humanly possible for the match, not like he's even hard working 90% of the time anyway.

It was a good interview. Seemed to really stress how he wanted WWE to change their creative process as I'm sure most of his former co-workers would agree with.
    Was right to choose to do it with Jericho as Chris seemed to be close as most to getting along with Vince. Austin when he interviewed him was still in the 1998 mentality of WWE where on screen talent seemingly had more but not entire freedom to tweak their output. Jericho who was around WWE at the time still knows how to work around Vince to get what you want. The EC3 thing was sad & I imagine it explains why Vince made EC3 look like an idiot since then.

What Dean did with the video he recorded with a friend was similar to what Mustafa Ali did with his street based promos & those are about 1,000 times better than anything WWE ever did with him. Looking at the "Times Up" teaser its similar to what WWE used to do back in the early 2000's to build up a new character. Even someone like Nathan Jones or Mordecai were made look interesting. Except the MOX reveal video was somewhat modern; most of what WWE do is clearly out of touch. Now they have Aleister Black talking nonsense months after he has already debuted :rolleyes:

the Black promos are absolute gibberish. listened to the Moxley interview earlier. fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Moxley interview was top draw he came off really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I believed Moxley was being genuine rather than bitter, I felt for him and his frustration on a human level. Whether it's valid or not is another story, that was an excellent point about how Jericho could make the dumb stuff into the best stuff on the show.

I mean, when I think of Moxley if I'm being honest, I think of a guy who was given a clear as day shot on the SCSA podcast to show some fire and **** the bed. That kinda sums him up to me. He seems more concerned about seeming cool and being aloof than actually doing anything good himself (even the movie he shot was a perfect example: it's cool and all but what was the point of it beyond "Look how cool I am?"), the interview was more filled with him listing off examples of ideas WWE gave him that were bad than ideas he gave them that were good and shot down. When I've seen that in people before it's a defence mechanism brought on by fear of failure: it's a bit of a martyr complex where they'd almost rather be seen as a misunderstood genius than try anything and be seen as bad. I also think of chances he did get that he didn't blow people away with: he got 30-minutes against Seth Rollins on PPV a few months ago. Regardless of if you're out on the company or not, there's an open goal to show the world how great you are, take it. He didn't, it was an awful match. I can't think of many classic singles matches I've seen him in.

He seems like a decent, genuine guy, don't get me wrong, and he has potential so I hope he does fulfil that in a creative environment that suits him better and proves me wrong. I'm just cynical when it comes to lads blaming their boss for everything in life not going their way, whether it's in wrestling or not.

And, to me, Jericho came across terribly here. He talks out of both sides of his mouth. If he needs it to fit the story, Vince McMahon is a genius who's responsible for everything good in wrestling. If he has a lad on who's going the other way, Vince McMahon is scum who won't let talent work and he jumps all over their stories trying to relate. Pick a line and go with it.

I also had to laugh at the moment where, after they'd spent an hour bitching about how bad WWE was, they said "I hope AEW makes Vince think about doing things better". Then, realising what they were saying, doubled back and were like "...but that's not what AEW is about! We're not trying to compete, just be an alternative!" It's like when someone gets caught just bitching about how they're so over their ex when the point of the story is supposed to be how awesome their new partner is. That kinda sums up the AEW experience for me so far, for as good as a lot of what they're doing is.

Really interesting interview though! The wrestler interviews wrestler format hasn't had something like that in a while, so was refreshing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I noticed that too about him not mentioning all those supposed great ideas he had but maybe he is keeping them under wraps to use in AEW now.

Anyone think he has burned bridges by exposing Vince and the WWE's creative process like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote:
    Anyone think he has burned bridges by exposing Vince and the WWE's creative process like that?

No, Vince knows there is money in a shield reunion down the road & they'll likely still be trying to get Roman cheered in 2023.
    He didn't really expose anything the public didn't already know, Vince is head of creative & of any output that WWE does.
    Unless your a complete moron you know that the creative process has gotten worse as the years pass.
    The draft didn't work, giving the fans what they wanted in terms of winners at mania didn't work, the wildcard stuff makes no sense, returning talent from injury didn't change a thing about the quality of the shows & bringing back the McMahon's hasn't really worked as it's not 1999.
    They basically admitted it publically last year around the time Corbin was replaced as GM that they need to "listen to fans" but I think most internally are frustrated with Vince but nobody can make him change his mind or convince him to step back from his duties a bit.
    A nearly 74 year old man doesn't know what's popular now, no sh!t.

Advertisement