Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour keeping footballs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

In the two weeks since you called the Guards (amazingly, it sounds like you didn't even approach your neighbour yourself before calling them) you allowed another ball and a frisbee to go over?! Glad I don't live beside you. I can't but believe your disregard for your neigbour takes many other forms.

Didn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Suggest to your neighbour that your kids be allowed to play in their garden and that way balls won't keep flying into their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Sure go down the legal route if you want, I’d nearly turn up to the court hearing for the entertainment value.

I would be interested to see what the Neighbour who keeps having unwanted items thrown onto their property could come up with in their counterclaim....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    I used to think she was unreasonable.

Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

Shame I didn't do it sooner; would have about 100 footballs by now.

Lol “everyone is wrong except me”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Maybe English isn't your native language so I understand that such a sentence might be hard to understand.

How did they "dishonestly appropriates property"?

Appropriate:-
    'take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

My 10 year old left a hand written note asking for the balls back. Very polite etc.

Covid is not the reason.

Your really drip feeding the details here. It's almost like the story is being made up as you go along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just to clarify.

4 balls and 1 frisbee has gone over in over 13 years. Just happens that they all happened in the last 6 months.

6 months and 4 balls and I am being inconsiderate? What the flip are you on about?

Also the guards were completely on my side and said her attitude was unrealistic for someone living in an estate. They said to call again next time and they would return no problem.

And what did the gardai say to her ?

In disputes like this Gardai tend to tell both parties that the other party are ott

domrush wrote: »
    Lol “everyone is wrong except me”

Look up the definition of "majority". Not quite everyone is it.

Duh

Darc19 wrote: »
    And what did the gardai say to her ?

In disputes like this Gardai tend to tell both parties that the other party are ott

Can't answer that really. They seemed really genuine with us but, as you said, they could be the same with her. They did say to ring the next time though. Actually recommended it.

I haven't, hence this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

ThumbTaxed wrote:

ThumbTaxed wrote:
    Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

So everyone else is unreasonable except you? See the problem here?

It's ridiculous carry on over 4 footballs

• Advertisement

So everyone else is unreasonable except you? See the problem here?

It's ridiculous carry on over 4 footballs

Ridiculous from who's perspective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

My neighbor used to keep my hurling balls and her dog would chew them up. Eventually I took the approach of filling my super soaker with near boiling water and spraying the dog as I scaled the ditch to sneak into her garden to retrieve the hurling balls.

After a couple of hits the dog stayed far away from me and I had no more issues getting my bits back. Just had to wait until the neighbour left in her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

ThumbTaxed wrote:
    Ridiculous from who's perspective?

The fact that you ask. Is the root of your problem.

Let it go. Buy a new football. Move on with your life is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Spy Queen

im on your side here mate. i was a kid once and 9 times out of 10 neighbours gave balls or whatever back. It regularly happens me and i would never not throw ball back esp. if kid knocked. Let kids be kids ffs they are going to make lots and lots of mistakes. Bursting or not giving a ball back reeks of when kids ought to quiet and do as they are told , fcuk that this country has an embarrassing past because of that attitude. Get one of the kids to write a little note and stick it in the letterbox apologising for previous mishaps and they are doing their best to prevent it happening again will no doubt help to make the neighbour in whatever grievance they have. If its a case that theres just no talking to them then you need to cut your losses and buy cheaper stuff you dont mind losing. i defo dont think they are obliged to give back everything all the time

How does somebody miscontrol a ball over a fence let alone do it regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep.

Thats it.

Everyone ELSE is wrong I am right.

OP your kids kicking and throwing powers have obviously increased in the last 15 years - from zero strength for the first 14.5 to pretty good in the last 6 months.

Will ya stop annoying the person and tell the kids to play ball elsewhere or get a basketball hoop, or put up a net, or whatever. Calling the cops on your neighbour over a few footballs is really odd. Buy a big supply of cheap balls on Amazon instead of being an ass. Here is a 12 pack for a hundred quid. Hopefully their ability does not improve to the point of putting in the neighbours windows but you should get a year of peace out of this at their presence rate of kicking strength.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FORZA-Footballs-Football-Included-Training/dp/B085QM2XFX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bulk%2Bpack%2Bfootball&qid=1620465595&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I thought the urban logic was if the person left them there it was grand - if they moved them it was theft?

Anyway as someone who used to constantly have footballs and sliotars banged up against the side garden wall, with the inevitable damage and constant annoyance of "Can we have our ball back" I can see why someone would fail to answer the door. Some people just want to be left alone.

On particular neighbour just couldn't understand why it pissed me off so much, yet the thought never occurred to her or her kids to kick the ball the other way against her hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

It would be easy enough for this person to throw the items back over the wall before you go knocking for them. I think she's being a bit mean. But there's some bad feeling generated already on the subject especially by calling the Gardaí. You all might be living there for many years. The children will be going through the teen years and that can be challenging. I think you need to achieve some kind of compromise if the two households are to exist happily side by side. Funnily enough the ad on tv about the chocolate bar shows the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If your neighbour is reading this and I hope she is...

...cover the footballs in dirty thick mechanics grease and throw it back over the wall to the kids!

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep.

Thats it.

Everyone ELSE is wrong I am right.

Cool story bro

frag420 wrote: »
    If your neighbour is reading this and I hope she is...

...cover the footballs in dirty thick mechanics grease and throw it back over the wall to the kids!

Strange,strange outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

nazmoalex wrote: »
    Dtp, was just about to post the same thing. Sharp knife going through the ball soon sorted that out. Seemed cruel at the time, but we we're using the lamppost outside her house a goal post.
    Wonder in this case has the football or frisbe damaged anything in her garden.

Hmmm we used the lamppost as a goals too. Was you I was playing with? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

When I was a child I remember playing football in the back garden with

my brother and unfortunately the ball would go into the garden next door

and 'she' wasn't overly happy when we went to retrieve it or ask for it back!

It's a next door neighbours garden afterall, not the White House!

This same woman who wouldn't throw back in the ball was having an affair

with another guy and was eventually found out!

If she was on fire I wouldn't pee on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Can't answer that really. They seemed really genuine with us but, as you said, they could be the same with her. They did say to ring the next time though. Actually recommended it.

I haven't, hence this post.

Crime stats must be low in your area or they may have a reason to want to be in the area. I can imagine ringing the guards for such a thing but if I did I’d expect them to tell me to F off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

she is a cow

hated by all.

She has no friends

Elderly... about 50 I'd say.

Is she a big smelly poo head OP?

Hilarious

From the other side of the fence.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058182965

Your neighbours should not have to put up with being constantly annoyed by your kids / their balls / their frisbees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Elderly... about 50 I'd say. Not sure.

That's gonna win you a load of friends in here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

vivian-gray.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement