Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour keeping footballs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Deadly serious.

This is Legal Discussion, not After Hours.

You are the one who asked how people miscontrolled a football.

That's not a serious post hence tbh I think you turned it into after house.

To be frank

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Does anyone have any actual legal advise on a legal question?

I refer you to the 2007 Supreme Court case of Finders versus Keepers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Which is each neighbour's peaceful enjoyment of their property.

A ball landing in a garden every few weeks is hardly likely to prevent peaceful enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Actually not and that "spat" wasn't exclusive to me

Problems with more than one neighbour then?

Look, the bottom line here is you can either be a decent neighbour and a responsible parent, or a crap one.

If your kids haven't the ability to control where they kick their balls or throw their frisbees, take them and their ball down to local park or playing fields where there is plenty of wide open space and let them kick around there where they won't cause irritation to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Tell your kids that they need to keep their knee over the ball to keep it's trajectory low thereby avoiding the neighbour's garden and limiting any mishaps to your own space.

Also, common sense says to me that if I kick something into a neighbiour's garden, it is now theirs to do with as they please. It's as good as gone. It would be nice to get it back, and there's no harm in asking --once-- to get it back, but the expectation should be zero.

Wow, I find it amazing to think that people wouldn't return a child's football. I don't care what yer one is doing, I'd never have that attitude with the kid on the other side.

Very strange outlook unless it is unbearable, e.g. a few times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was on the receiving end of a neighbor's football pitch..

Every sunny day, 6/7 footballs in the garden that had to be returned. At the start we returned them as they came over. Then maybe the next morning. It just gets too much. We couldn't really even use our own back garden between the most and the balls flying over.

It's a pain in the hole. Wouldn't mind but we're surrounded by big greens. Suited the parents though I suppose to have them out the back.

Never really blamed the kids though. To them they are just doing exactly what kids should do. The parents however clearly didn't give a s*it.

I have eyes.

So you can see a ball in her garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Look, the bottom line here is you can either be a decent neighbour and a responsible parent, or a crap one.

If your kids haven't the ability to control where they kick their balls or throw their frisbees, take them and their ball down to local park or playing fields where there is plenty of wide open space and let them kick around there where they won't cause irritation to anyone else.

Apart from the people they hit with their wild abandon :pac:

The objector had a problem with about 10 houses having a fence. Relevance here is questionable but whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They probably have lower IQ's and are unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That ships sails both directions. I see more and more of this it seems more and more people don't retain the skills to talk with their neighbours are ultra territorial and live out their lives on the internet and inside their own four walls.

Estates these days are churning out less and less community and more me fein. My front door.

It's actually sad when your think about it.

"Crap parent"

So that's the definition nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Whats even more shocking than you calling the Guards for such a trivial matter is the fact that they even humoured you to call out and intervene. I can only guess one of the guards is a mate.

This woman isn't stealing your property...you have no clue as to what her issues might be but she has every right to have them in the privacy of her own home. Now shes looking out her window and seeing a squad car and guards at her door. That in itself can be traumatizing for some.

And what is all this teaching your kids. Ringing the Guards on your next door neighbour and talking possible legal action when they should have been told like we all were as kids ....'if it happens again, its the last ball you ll be bought, stop annoying Mrs Duffy'.

Leave the poor woman alone for christs sake.

( I still can't believe you rang the Guards on your next door neighbour for such a thing)

Graham wrote: »
    A ball landing in a garden every few weeks is hardly likely to prevent peaceful enjoyment.

That and then calling gardai to the neighbours house on vexatious complaints might.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

bubblypop wrote: »
    That and then calling gardai to the neighbours house on vexatious complaints might.

Pretty much guaranteed I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is it every few weeks? I hadn't read that fact. In my case, it was 5-7-10 balls daily. Very very unsettling.
    If it's a ball every few weeks, the rounded advice of the replies still stand:-
    Use the green
    Higher fence
    Spare balls and let the other person interact on their terms.

So the op called the Gardai over a single ball that could not be recovered for a few weeks? That's a bit mad Ted.

• listermint wrote: »
    You are the one who asked how people miscontrolled a football.

That's not a serious post hence tbh I think you turned it into after house.

To be frank
    No, I asked how people miscontrol a football so badly that it's sent over a fence.

The OP stated that the kids weren't shooting in the direction of the neighbour's garden and it was simply down to poor control.

Balls are going into the neighbour's garden regularly which would indicate it's more than poor control.

Hence me questioning the OP's side of things.

No, I asked how people miscontrol a football so badly that it's sent over a fence.

The OP stated that the kids weren't shooting in the direction of the neighbour's garden and it was simply down to poor control.

Balls are going into the neighbour's garden regularly which would indicate it's more than poor control.

Hence me questioning the OP's side of things.

"Regularly"

Wow, I find it amazing to think that people wouldn't return a child's football. I don't care what yer one is doing, I'd never have that attitude with the kid on the other side.

Very strange outlook unless it is unbearable, e.g. a few times a day.

+1

throw it back over the fence, job done.

We've kicked a ball over the fence twice so far this year. Neighbour throws it back next time he's in the garden.

Unsurprisingly our neighbour doesn't feel we're irresponsible or ruining his peaceful enjoyment probably because that would just be a hysterical overreaction.

• Advertisement

Hysterical overreaction = calling AGS because your neighbour has 'stolen' your kids balls!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hysterical overreaction = calling AGS because your neighbour has 'stolen' your kids balls!

throw the balls back and it wouldn't come to that.

"Crap parent"

So that's the definition nowadays.

Yep, its part of it.

It falls under "ignoring when your kids behaviour causes irritation to your neighbours".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It depends on what it lands on. My neighbors garden is beautifully landscaped. Any ball that goes in there at speed will damage something, the neighbor on the other side is just pea gravel covered in dog Sh1t. My kids do not kick their balls over either fence

Yep, its part of it.

It falls under "ignoring when your kids behaviour causes irritation to your neighbours".

What a strange person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

listermint wrote: »
    That's actually impossible. Every footballer who's any use made many mistakes to get to that point it's what improving skill is all about. Naturally gifted is waffle it's about work and consistency. But way off topic I suppose.

No it's not. Some people are naturally gifted at certain things. Sport being one of them. Hence football clubs signing 10 year olds. Or do they have the "hard work" put in? Lol
    They stand out because they are mike's better than their peers.

And from the talk of the op I'd say her young lad is solid useless.

Losing footballs constantly might be a sign

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

So you would call ags if your neighbour didn't return the balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd always throw back a ball but it can get annoying. In the middle of chopping chicken for dinner and I see the ball come over and then have to wash hands to answer the door, go out, throw it back. Not a huge deal. But then just as I get started again, I see it come in again.... But I've also had a ball fly over at speed (they're playing on the road the other side of the wall) and miss my toddling 12mth old by centimetres, other times hit a table with a glass on it. That time I asked them to take it to the green, and to be fair they did.
    I would never keep a ball but it can be really annoying. When we were kids my mam always said if it goes over the wall then tough. You can ask for it back yourself but I'm not doing it for you.

Yep, its part of it.

Classic LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Maybe given her elderly decrepitude she doesn't get out into the garden much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement