Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Trouble

Options
  • 03-05-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for advice on what to do next. I live on an estate with a big green in the middle of the estate. Over the last few years the kids have set up a football pitch with goals either end to play football. My issue is my house is located right behind one of the goals, the most preferred goal for practice. I live in a typical council house small front garden with small drive where I park my car. The goal ( it's a biggoal about 7ft x 10 is 6 metres from my little picket fence at front of garden. Ok day and every evening the kids ranging from 10 -15 congregate and have serious football games. I love seeing the kids play as I have boys of my own. My issue is the ball is constantly hitting with brute force off my front windows and doors and car. My old car had a huge dent but of course I couldn't pinpoint anyone so I had to let it go. I have tried talking to the kids and asking to move the goal but a few of them basically told me to f off they can do what they like. The parents are not approachable kind of people and it's got to the stage now that the kids playing football seem to be goading me and were waving through the window at me in my front garden yesterday looking for a reaction from me. They have now started pulling one or two of the picket fence planks off when I'm not at home I rang the guards for advice and they said there is nothing they can do but advised me to get security cameras and when more damage is done I will know who did it!!! I do have hubby at home and he wants to wring necks as you can imagine but I just want a quiet life and try find an amicable solution to the problem. I was sitting in my sitting room yesterday afternoon and I thought the window was going to come in it got such a smack from the ball...has anyone been in similar situation or could offer any advise? I've also ended up having to park the car down the road so it doesn't get damaged and can no longer use my own drive...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ber13 wrote: »
    Looking for advice on what to do next. I live on an estate with a big green in the middle of the estate. Over the last few years the kids have set up a football pitch with goals either end to play football. My issue is my house is located right behind one of the goals, the most preferred goal for practice. I live in a typical council house small front garden with small drive where I park my car. The goal ( it's a biggoal about 7ft x 10 is 6 metres from my little picket fence at front of garden. Ok day and every evening the kids ranging from 10 -15 congregate and have serious football games. I love seeing the kids play as I have boys of my own. My issue is the ball is constantly hitting with brute force off my front windows and doors and car. My old car had a huge dent but of course I couldn't pinpoint anyone so I had to let it go. I have tried talking to the kids and asking to move the goal but a few of them basically told me to f off they can do what they like. The parents are not approachable kind of people and it's got to the stage now that the kids playing football seem to be goading me and were waving through the window at me in my front garden yesterday looking for a reaction from me. They have now started pulling one or two of the picket fence planks off when I'm not at home I rang the guards for advice and they said there is nothing they can do but advised me to get security cameras and when more damage is done I will know who did it!!! I do have hubby at home and he wants to wring necks as you can imagine but I just want a quiet life and try find an amicable solution to the problem. I was sitting in my sitting room yesterday afternoon and I thought the window was going to come in it got such a smack from the ball...has anyone been in similar situation or could offer any advise? I've also ended up having to park the car down the road so it doesn't get damaged and can no longer use my own drive...

The Gardai already told you what to do. Get a security camera, and then if anyone damages your property you’ll be able to prove who did it and the Gardai will be able to intervene

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

You need to start sitting out the front with your husband near the path with a radio and a few beers. Start rooting for the team to score. Nothing will drive the kids away faster than adults getting in on their fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mickuhaha wrote: »
    You need to start sitting out the front with your husband near the path with a radio and a few beers. Start rooting for the team to score. Nothing will drive the kids away faster than adults getting in on their fun.

Lyric FM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

not a solution, but I always rule out end houses or house too close to a green when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

next time the ball hits the window, keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dangee4050

Take the ball and make there parents come for it. And every time it comes do it. There parents will soon get fed up coming for it

Had a similar issue that’s what improved it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd just up sticks and move in that situation. Only way you are going to get a satisfying conclusion unfortunately.

I feel for you op it’s an awful situation and it can really have an effect on your quality of life dealing with it every day constantly feeling stressed

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Is it a council estate?

The fact that u rang the guards looking for advice, I think the wisest thing to do is take on board what they advised and install a camera.

U then have ur proof and footage of their behavior. Take that to the guards and have them warn the parents of their kids social behavior. If there's any damage done, again there's ur proof.

Initially I was going to say everytime the balls bangs off the window, get the ball and puncher it, but by your description these kids are lil ****s and would love nothing more than to taunt someone for entertainment.

Get ur camera installed, resist the temptation to go outside and give out. If u do end up going to the guards or getting into the council and nothing happens, then sadly selling and moving sounds like the only option.

What a horrible, sad situation ur find yourselves in. I really do feel sorry for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Really don't see that working, Why would u even bother to go to the trouble of doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can you build a wall between the green area and your house?

Do you have a residents association? Maybe approach them and ask about getting the goal relocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Take the goal, dismantle it and bring it to Oxfam in a bllack bin in the booth of your car. Or to yhe recycling centre - make the workd a better olace. Tell no-one. .

Works.

If the ball comes into your garden or hits your property - take it. Refuse to give it back - even of the parents ask.

Complain to the local garda station about the ongoing antisocial behaviour, kids saying they don’t care & being intimidating & ASK them to send a car around. Tell them your property is being damaged and you want them to send a car around.

Put it inn writing to the council. Some of the houses may be rented and they may have leases that depend on them adhering to non anti social behaviour. Also highlight the trip hazzard and insurance risk for a damaged toy left around the grass for elderly or toddlers to trip on or be blown across cars or onto footpaths on windy days and cause an accident. They will probably come and take it away for you.

Awful situation to be in. Option 1 &2 worked very well for me as well as requesting a car. Some patents are as feral as their children.

Have you tried nonchantly moving the goal elsewhere at night and staking it with tentpegs or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Talk to one of the parents. Put it nicely to them that the goal would be better off moving, it's great that the kids are out playing but it's making your life hell and you'll have to get on the council to get it removed. The parent is then faced with a choice of moving the goal or having the kids indoors bored. Do it after afew days of rain where they kids have been indoors wrecking their heads.

Submit a claim for the damage to your car to the council, it's their green its their pitch.

This is the answer.

The main thing, at all costs is do not give them a reason to make you a target.

All the above tough guy answers saying take their ball, dismantle the goals etc will render you the target of choice of the estate. Endless knick knacking and other pranks and vandalism.

Kids love nothing more than a sour auld bastard they can go to war with - do not, I repeat do not give them an excuse.

Either ignore them or as in the response above make them not want to play near your garden anymore. Just don’t engage them confrontationally, I promise you it won’t have the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Akrasia wrote: »
    The Gardai already told you what to do. Get a security camera, and then if anyone damages your property you’ll be able to prove who did it and the Gardai will be able to intervene

Agree totally. Keep it impersonal and third party and OFFICIAL. Else they will start more trouble and escalate it. Been there too many times.

Good luck above all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Go talk to the neighbours and sort it out yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

Does the goals have a net?

If not maybe putting a net up would stop the ball reaching your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Deeec wrote: »
    Does the goals have a net?

If not maybe putting a net up would stop the ball reaching your house.

The issue I find with most kids that play football is that they're ****e at it. That said worth a try in reducing it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Akrasia wrote: »

And do what exactly? Cameras are a waste of time because even if they show you who done it, there is nothing you can do about it. They know this too, so they might start acting up for the cameras.

Gardai won't be able to do anything if it is minors who cause damage, and neither the minors or their parents will pay a cent towards anything probably claiming inability to pay.

The silliest thing you did was to give out. Now they are just baiting you for the craic. The worst thing you will do is give any sort of reaction.
    Just ignore it and unfortunately this means you will have to put up with it a while longer. If you ignore them they will soon get bored and move on to intimidating some other person foolish enough feed them the reactions they are after.

It may mean a broken window or two, and if that happens just get the council to replace them with thicker or toughened glass quoting the high risk of repeat breakage and the obvious safety risk of broken glass flying into the house.
    As for the car, unless it is a newish or valuable car, a few dents isn't the end of the world. It happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

https://www.networldsports.ie/stop-that-ball-socketed.html
    I wonder would you be able to convince the parents in the area to pool money together to buy one of these? Solves your problem and allows the kids to keep playing.

If it is a council estate and the parents are unapproachable then there is nothing that can be done really. They won't go in for this kind of thing.

waiting for it to go away won’t work either.
    I’ve been through it every single day after 5 pm until dark and waiting for it to go away will just make you become unwell with anxiety as it’s like being in a war zone For your body. Not being able to sit and eat your dinner after working all day due to the ball blasting off your windows.

Keep the ball let there parents come, don’t even argue with the parents just hand back the ball and tell them your not dealing with children only adults from now on as your being tortured.. Then the parents will also be tortured every time its in your property.

It may make you a “target” but you already are by the sounds of it.

If that doesn’t work move house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ber13 wrote: »

Report it as anti-social behaviour to the council. Send an email a week and then two emails a week and so on. Make sure and tell them your property is being damaged you can no longer live in peace in your own property and give the names and addresses of the family. They will eventually have to do something. Threaten to get TD involved if nothing is done.

I did similar to one family, whose teenage son kept bringing large groups up to sit on my wall (not his own) and make noise all hours of the day and night. You'd get dog's abuse if you asked them to move. Two emails sent to the council a few months back and I haven't seen them since. They must have had a word with the parents.

The suggestion about the video camera is also good, if even to demonstrate to the council the extent of the problem. If your window gets broken, the council won't help you out with it, you'll have to pay, so start recording and sending emails as soon as possible.

Council won't do anything. Guaranteed.
    It would want to be fairly extreme levels of repeated and unreasonable antisocial behaviour for the council to get involved.

I don't think the boys stored sitting on your wall cos of the emails. Something else probably, just got bored and went elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Slip out some night around 3am and dig a few holes around the goalmouth,,and back towards your property. , no keeper wants balls bobbing thru their legs cos of rough ground. When it rains... the holes will fill with water and the place will be a mud bath.

Only solution.... move goals up a bit.

Advertisement