Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour keeping footballs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

From the other side of the fence.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058182965

Your neighbours should not have to put up with being constantly annoyed by your kids / their balls / their frisbees.

"Constantly" LOL

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    No damage at all. They do kicky ups so the ball falls into the garden, it is not shot in. They are not allowed play like that there. They just tap the ball around.

History...yeah she is a cow and generally hated by all. She has no friends and we didn't speak.

Elderly... about 50 I'd say. Not sure.

Susanna Hoffs would like you to know that 50 is not elderly ;)

220px-SusannaHoffsAustralia2008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep.

Thats it.

Everyone ELSE is wrong I am right.

Cool story bro

Wow, you really are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Any chance of a legal discussion on the theft angle?

Any chance of a legal discussion on the theft angle?

Have to endure 80 posts first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Maybe English isn't your native language so I understand that such a sentence might be hard to understand.
    How did they "dishonestly appropriates property"?

Appropriate:-
    'take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission"

Assuming you missed my reply

Think I've missed the post where the neighbour took the balls, all I'm seeing is the balls being kicked into the neighbours garden.

Grazie

Assuming you missed my reply

Think I've missed the post where the neighbour took the balls, all I'm seeing is the balls being kicked into the neighbours garden.

Grazie

Misappropriate.

Look it up.

I used to think she was unreasonable.

Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

Shame I didn't do it sooner; would have about 100 footballs by now.

Thinks neighbour is unreasonable
    Everyone agrees with neighbour
    Now thinks everyone is unreasonable

Lol

Misappropriate.

Look it up.

You could but as it's not an element of theft...

4.—(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.

“appropriates”, in relation to property, means usurps or adversely interferes with the proprietary rights of the owner of the property;

“depriving” means temporarily or permanently depriving.

bubblypop wrote: »

Lol

If one has a higher IQ than the majority, is that person wrong because the majority have lower IQ? Don't think so. Just means more people are dumb or unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does anyone have any actual legal advise on a legal question?

Legal advice isn't permitted on this forum, so posters can't advise you.

Can discuss trespass, theft, damage, all of which potentially apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I used to think she was unreasonable.

Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

Shame I didn't do it sooner; would have about 100 footballs by now.

When you think someone is a wank3r, maybe they're a wank3r.

When you think everyone is a wank3r, maybe, just maybe, you are actually the wank3r....

rizzodun wrote: »
    When you think someone is a wank3r, maybe they're a wank3r.

When you think everyone is a wank3r, maybe, just maybe, you are actually the wank3r....

Very insightful. Thanks for your help.

Misappropriate.

Look it up.

Your neighbour has not misappropriated anything.
    Something was put in her garden.
    She hasn't done anything illegal.
    So no, no theft

I wouldn't keep on ringing the gardai, they won't be long thinking you're the unreasonable neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How does somebody miscontrol a ball over a fence let alone do it regularly?

I'm actually not sure if this is a serious post but il take it at face value.

You've never played with a football in your entire life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

You could but as it's not an element of theft...

4.—(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.

“appropriates”, in relation to property, means usurps or adversely interferes with the proprietary rights of the owner of the property;

“depriving” means temporarily or permanently depriving.

Yip, this is what I was replying to ( section 4)

Still waiting for details of how neighbour took the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

listermint wrote: »

Or maybe poster is a naturally gifted footballer and can't understand why others are so bad?

This the same neighbour you had a planning spat with by any chance?

If one has a higher IQ than the majority, is that person wrong because the majority have lower IQ? Don't think so. Just means more people are dumb or unreasonable.

Well IQ has nothing to do with being smart or dumb. And definitely nothing to do with unreasonable.
    Not sure what you're argument is supposed to be here.

Your neighbour has not misappropriated anything.
    Something was put in her garden.
    She hasn't done anything illegal.
    So no, no theft

I wouldn't keep on ringing the gardai, they won't be long thinking you're the unreasonable neighbour

How is the retention of something, which you know doesn't belong to you, not misappropriation.

I remember I was paid 2 weeks wages years ago by error, after leaving. Keeping that money is theft when you know it isn't yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Caranica wrote: »
    Legal advice isn't permitted on this forum, so posters can't advise you.

Can discuss trespass, theft, damage, all of which potentially apply here.

Legal discussion is. Not that you'd think it from this thread.

Lol

Everyone doesn't agree with the neighbour though. You are making that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s absolutely not theft. Definitely not.
    Just get your kids to stop putting their stuff in the neighbours garden and the problem disappears. She obviously wants to teach them to stop doing it by not returning the stuff. A bit harsh, but within her rights, without doubt. Legally, and also morally.
    You might say she is unreasonable, and I’d agree with you. But it’s nowhere near as mad as you calling the Gardai. Be a proper parent, control the kids play and the problem goes away. Legally, you have no grievance here.

How is the retention of something, which you know doesn't belong to you, not misappropriation.

I remember I was paid 2 weeks wages years ago by error, after leaving. Keeping that money is theft when you know it isn't yours.

You stated That she doesn't answer the door when you knock.I
    So how do you know she is keeping something?

listermint wrote: »
    Deadly serious.

This is Legal Discussion, not After Hours.

This the same neighbour you had a planning spat with by any chance?

Actually not and that "spat" wasn't exclusive to me

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Or maybe poster is a naturally gifted footballer and can't understand why others are so bad?

That's actually impossible. Every footballer who's any use made many mistakes to get to that point it's what improving skill is all about. Naturally gifted is waffle it's about work and consistency. But way off topic I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

"Constantly" LOL

Did you come to gauge whether your grievances were justified (most of us do) or to simply hammer home your view and not listen.

Yes, small children play and kick footballs. And they come over walls. Especially in small semi-d estates. Which is most people. But big kids, 10+, should be out on the green, end of.

I had a neighbour where, after moving in, I found anywhere between 7-10 balls every single day. When I didn't throw them back within the hour on one particular day, the father came over the 6ft wall and got them. When I went to his door to explain how we would rock and roll going forward, he said he only did that because my side gate was locked and the last crowd never locked their side gate?! I explained that due to my work, and security mindset, I would react badly to any strangers on my property sneaking around (I would and always will). Friend staying over, partner there alone, elderly mother scared sh1tless by a fully grown little shortar*e in the garden. She's not used to that because our family have always summarily dealt with any intruders.
    Next day I put up CCTV stickers and 2 dummy IP cameras. Which I was going to do anyway. The back one only visible if you peered up over the very decent concrete dividing wall.
    Turned out they had well over 100 footballs in the garden, in a corner. And hung out the local soccer team underage kit every other week. He was the coach. His son the star.
    Now, I love kids but I also love the plants and flowers I've been growing for a few months previously. Having those damaged was very disheartening. So, after being nice I realised I was dealing with a sh1tbird and revised my approach. Worked a charm. Decent people react to decency. Sh1tbirds react to ****. They respect it. It quietens them, like a child on the breast.

Have a bit more understanding for your neighbour. Some people are very territorial. I am very much so. I suspect the 'elderly' neighbour as you say (?) has a problem with you and not your kids. Kids will be kids. But you should know better, particularly if you wish for the best outcome. Which is each neighbour's peaceful enjoyment of their property.

I need my coffee now so le petit psycho can go back to his safe place. Damn, you just triggered him.

Tell your kids that they need to keep their knee over the ball to keep it's trajectory low thereby avoiding the neighbour's garden and limiting any mishaps to your own space.

Also, common sense says to me that if I kick something into a neighbiour's garden, it is now theirs to do with as they please. It's as good as gone. It would be nice to get it back, and there's no harm in asking --once-- to get it back, but the expectation should be zero.

• Advertisement

You stated That she doesn't answer the door when you knock.I
    So how do you know she is keeping something?

I have eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement