Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour keeping footballs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Speaking of legal obligations, the neighbour has no legal obligation to be an on-call retriever. This is done out of goodwill. Should it ever get to court, a judge would likely ask what steps you have taken to ameliorate the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Balmed Out wrote: »
    FFS kids will be kids and we were all kids once. My neighbours are amazing footballers and play several hours a day if they can. They dont mean it but at least a half dozen times the ball will go into my garden. I just lowered the last section of fence so once or twice a day when they dont hear me in the garden they will hop over and kick however many balls back into their own. Prefer this than playing in front and hitting the car or doing run away knock or something else anti social, spending their days playing football instead of pushing the boundaries of mischief im fairly certain in time i wont have some gurriers living nextdoor in a few years. .

If your going to be unneigourly you can chose any number of other things to piss you off and im sure you will find some and only benefit with a high blood pressure. If you're going to live somewhere with neighbours without very secluded gardens you need to realise balls, cats, drummers, bikers etc are a fact of life.

And this is it. Acting like everything in the world pisses you have all the time isn't healthy and it will only shorten your time in this world.

Kids toys coming into your garden shouldn't be as earth shattering to your day as you act. It means there's some other underlying problem causing this anger. Better to seek assistance on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

I'd ignore someone who was constantly knocking at the door to retrieve their stupid stuff as well.

4 footballs in 15 years.

Constantly?

Just to clarify.

4 balls and 1 frisbee has gone over in over 13 years. Just happens that they all happened in the last 6 months.

6 months and 4 balls and I am being inconsiderate? What the flip are you on about?

Also the guards were completely on my side and said her attitude was unrealistic for someone living in an estate. They said to call again next time and they would return no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    4 footballs in 15 years.

Constantly?

Why involve the Gardaí if you’ve only lost four footballs???
    Buy them another ball - they’re €1.50 in dealz ffs and leave your neighbour alone.

• Advertisement

The balls and frisbee are not all that are going into her garden. You say the kids are going in there to get them. Up to and including ringing her doorbell. Feck that for a game of cowboys. You had the kids, not her. Why should she have to have them regularly round her gaff. Get them a ping pong table for their ball play. :)

Never said kids go in to get them.

Also they only called twice. Only called when 2 balls had gone over, each time could be a few weeks apart.

People sure can't read and jump to conclusions.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I suspect that the op has poor relationship with the neighbour.

And it may be due to the in op not respecting the neighbour in various other aspects.

A quick look at other posts about the extension and building fences and council planning warnings gives another side to the story.

Op, put yourself in the shoes of your neighbour and you might see where the problem is. Seems to me it's a lot closer than next door

I see we have an expert here. Maybe it would help to know some facts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

4 footballs in 15 years.

Constantly?

Are these the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Just to clarify.

4 balls and 1 frisbee has gone over in over 13 years. Just happens that they all happened in the last 6 months.

6 months and 4 balls and I am being inconsiderate? What the flip are you on about?

Also the guards were completely on my side and said her attitude was unrealistic for someone living in an estate. They said to call again next time and they would return no problem.

Liberal use of statistics there! Another might say 4 balls and 1 frisbee in the past 6 months.

The guards are telling you what you want to hear. But if you keep up this behaviour and it becomes a legal case - you won't be the winner.

Edit : I remember, as a kid, similar happening to me. Our balls were going into flowerbeds in neighbours gardens. We didn't understand what their problem was. Now I realise that many people put a lot of effort/money into their property/garden and even the low level damage of a football can be very annoying.

Does anyone have any actual legal advise on a legal question?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any actual legal advise on a legal question?

I've one about wasting Gardai time.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Liberal use of statistics there! Another might say 4 balls and 1 frisbee in the past 6 months.

The guards are telling you what you want to hear. But if you keep up this behaviour and it becomes a legal case - you won't be the winner.

I'd suggest a detached house in the country is more appropriate for some folks. As the guards said and reality is living in a housing estate your going to encounter people and ... Shock horror kids.

Life isn't all white walls and flat green lawns sometimes you have to interact with people.

Well you can't actually steal other people's property , so there's that.

Yeah true. If a neighbour didn't see the fetish in keeping a kids ball that would save some time.

listermint wrote: »
    Well you can't actually steal other people's property , so there's that.

Missed the part about stealing, just read the balls being kicked into another property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Balmed Out wrote: »
    FFS kids will be kids and we were all kids once. My neighbours are amazing footballers and play several hours a day if they can. They dont mean it but at least a half dozen times the ball will go into my garden. I just lowered the last section of fence so once or twice a day when they dont hear me in the garden they will hop over and kick however many balls back into their own. Prefer this than playing in front and hitting the car or doing run away knock or something else anti social, spending their days playing football instead of pushing the boundaries of mischief im fairly certain in time i wont have some gurriers living nextdoor in a few years. .

If your going to be unneigourly you can chose any number of other things to piss you off and im sure you will find some and only benefit with a high blood pressure. If you're going to live somewhere with neighbours without very secluded gardens you need to realise balls, cats, drummers, bikers etc are a fact of life.

Disagree completely with you. I had kids who occasionally sent balls over walls, I told them to be more careful as they would be annoying the neighbours. I also had a front window broken by a stray ball so I’ve seen both sides of it. Some people want to sit in their back garden peacefully without having someone’s kids, regularly by the sounds of it, throwing things in. People can have expensive plants and ornaments in their garden that can get damaged by balls etc. Not everyone’s back garden is like a disheveled football pitch. OPs attitude is very inconsiderate and disrespectful IMO.

I used to think she was unreasonable.

Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

Shame I didn't do it sooner; would have about 100 footballs by now.

Disagree completely with you. I had kids who occasionally sent balls over walls, I toddler them to be more careful as they would be annoying the neighbours. I also had a front window broken by a stray ball so I’ve seen both sides of it. Some people want to sit in their back garden peacefully without having someone’s kids, regularly by the sounds of it, throwing things in. People can have expensive plants and ornaments in their garden that can get damaged by balls etc. O everyone’s back garden is like a disheveled football pitch. OPs attitude is very inconsiderate and disrespectful IMO.

And the kids were probably being more careful the hundreds of days they play out there but accidents happen..that's life. If people were a tad more pragmatic about it their life would be more happy frankly.

Missed the part about stealing, just read the balls being kicked into another property.

"Theft and Related Offences. Theft. 4. —(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it."

I used to think she was unreasonable.

Turns out, from the posts here, that the majority of people are actually also unreasonable! Next time my other neighbours little kid kicks in his ball I will keep that then.

Shame I didn't do it sooner; would have about 100 footballs by now.

Then you'd have loads of balls!

A few genuine questions..

Has any damage been caused to the neighbours premises?

Are they elderly?

Do you have any sort of relationship with them?

Is there any "history"?

Are the really,really paranoid about Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

People can have expensive plants and ornaments in their garden that can get damaged by balls etc.

I was about to say that and would the OP pay damage caused?

"Theft and Related Offences. Theft. 4. —(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it."

So it's not theft! ( actually unsure if you are trying to prove that, but you have so thank you )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

She doesn't want to answer the door to kids knocking for their stuff. We don't know her situation but there is a pandemic on at the moment. I know my mum is paranoid about answering the door at the moment until she's vaccinated.

Then you'd have loads of balls!

A few genuine questions..

Has any damage been caused to the neighbours premises?

Are they elderly?

Do you have any sort of relationship with them?

Is there any "history"?

Are the really,really paranoid about Covid?

No damage at all. They do kicky ups so the ball falls into the garden, it is not shot in. They are not allowed play like that there. They just tap the ball around.

History...yeah she is a cow and generally hated by all. She has no friends and we didn't speak.

Elderly... about 50 I'd say. Not sure.

SteM wrote: »
    She doesn't want to answer the door to kids knocking for their stuff. We don't know her situation but there is a pandemic on at the moment. I know my mum is paranoid about answering the door at the moment until she's vaccinated.

My 10 year old left a hand written note asking for the balls back. Very polite etc.

Covid is not the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've seen advertisements for a kind of net and string thing for football training where you put the ball in a net bag and it is attached to a string so it can't go too far. This would stop it from leaving your own garden.

For frisbees they will need to go to a more open area.

No damage at all. They do kicky ups so the ball falls into the garden, it is not shot in. They are not allowed play like that there. They just tap the ball around.

History...yeah she is a cow and generally hated by all. She has no friends and we didn't speak.

Elderly... about 50 I'd say. Not sure.

Thanks for reply...time to buy them a boomerang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Sure go down the legal route if you want, I’d nearly turn up to the court hearing for the entertainment value.

So it's not theft! ( actually unsure if you are trying to prove that, but you have so thank you )

Maybe English isn't your native language so I understand that such a sentence might be hard to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

In the two weeks since you called the Guards (amazingly, it sounds like you didn't even approach your neighbour yourself before calling them) you allowed another ball and a frisbee to go over?! Glad I don't live beside you. I can't but believe your disregard for your neigbour takes many other forms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement