Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

aloooof wrote: »
    Just pointing out your hypocrisy and continued tendency to be extremely lenient on Leinster players while not offering the same to other players.

There is room for reasonable criticism, while not over-hyping players on the other end of the spectrum. Saying “Baird has been poor” is hardly pasting the guy.

(As for the mis-quoting comment... :rolleyes: I could list off 3 or 4 times where you’ve done just that to me in the recent past, but you’d probably have an issue with that too).

Don’t worry mate, it’s not my fault you can’t understand. I ignore you 99% of the time, I’m actually better off just doing that because what’s the point in responding to constant snipping childish posts.

FYI its a Leinster thread. To discuss Leinster players and all things Leinster.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sooner de fcuk this pandemic is over the better... Cos we've all turned into cranky feckers over the last year

Nah only a few....

VANG1 wrote: »
    Can you remember when you were 21? He’s trying his best

At the end of season review I think for Leinster and Ireland Baird has been a huge positive for next season

One of the big things he will get with age and experience is performance consistency and then he will e a huge force

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sebdavis wrote: »
    Don’t worry mate, it’s not my fault you can’t understand. I ignore you 99% of the time, I’m actually better off just doing that because what’s the point in responding to constant snipping childish posts.

FYI its a Leinster thread. To discuss Leinster players and all things Leinster.

You seem to think that if you post something elsewhere that completely contradicts what you've said in the Leinster thread that it can't be pointed out to you.

Anyways will leave it there, for the sake of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sebdavis wrote: »
    You can remove it yourself, no need for mods

I'd wager Buer wasn't being entirely serious.

Bairds form has been poor. Saying as much isn't slating the guy and I'd imagine he knows himself his form isn't great right now. It happens. If anything this could be an incredibly important time for him as he's probably going to learn more from this period than he did when he was tearing it up against the likes of Glasgow last year.

Now for me part of the poor form lays at the coaches feet. I dont think he should be asked to fill that blindside role while he's also only learning to come to terms with the second row role at this level. I think too much is being asked of him. And with Fardy available and more than capable of filling in at 6 I'd question the decision last night to put Baird into the back row.

But overall I think you're being overly sensitive to the commentary here on him tbh. Saying his form has dipped is a perfectly valid comment.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd wager Buer wasn't being entirely serious.

Bairds form has been poor. Saying as much isn't slating the guy and I'd imagine he knows himself his form isn't great right now. It happens. If anything this could be an incredibly important time for him as he's probably going to learn more from this period than he did when he was tearing it up against the likes of Glasgow last year.

Now for me part of the poor form lays at the coaches feet. I dont think he should be asked to fill that blindside role while he's also only learning to come to terms with the second row role at this level. I think too much is being asked of him. And with Fardy available and more than capable of filling in at 6 I'd question the decision last night to put Baird into the back row.

But overall I think you're being overly sensitive to the commentary here on him tbh. Saying his form has dipped is a perfectly valid comment.

I would wager I wasn’t been serious either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Baird has been poor too! The expectation is probably too much. He really should be playing lock for this tournament. Playing Fardy is not smart, imo! He's retiring and would be fine off the bench.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Furlong signs 1 year contract extension with the IRFU (LR).

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/furlong-signs-contract-extension-with-irfu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Shoulder and hamstring injury for Frawley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Baird has been poor too! The expectation is probably too much. He really should be playing lock for this tournament. Playing Fardy is not smart, imo! He's retiring and would be fine off the bench.

Whereas I dont think Baird has been poor in any game bar La Rochelle, i agree with the rest of the post. Baird's future is at lock and while i guess it will help him to be able to play 5 or 6, i'd prefer to see him nail down one position first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

One year sounds like the money wasn’t really enough so see how finances are next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

salmocab wrote: »
    One year sounds like the money wasn’t really enough so see how finances are next year.

Were any new central contracts more than a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great news in Furlong and disastrous for Frawley.

The latter was really starting to shine as a 12 and Leinster were beginning to see the benefit of having two playmakers at 10/12. Hope he makes a swift recovery.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Were any new central contracts more than a year?

Henderson got 2 years off the top of my head.

Sounds like it's 1 year with a view to a big pay rise in 12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

awec wrote: »

That’d be my read, Sexton got a year deal but for very different reasons

Delighted to get Furlong back. Hopefully he can be locked down with a good contract next year.
    Frawley is having an awful year with injury. It's a shame. He's not alone as Doris and Ryan have been injured frequently and the list is never-ending. Looking back this season
    Larmour missed 3 months, Ringrose about 10 weeks, TOB the last 4 months, Adam Byrne the entire season, JOB several weeks now along with Furlong about a year between 2 seasons and Leavy shut down early. Deegan all season, Dunne out til next season, Connors has missed significant time and so has JGP. Sexton! HB and possibly Ruddock. I'm missing some lads but the injury list is devastating.

When will Leinster announce the signings for the next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    When will Leinster announce the signings for the next season?

April 2021 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Good day between Furlong signing on, and the TV deal announced it's almost enough to make me forget the sh!tshow of a tournament that the Rainbow cup is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Does this mean the Porter to LH rumours kick back into overdrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hell yeah!

We all dream of a tight 5 of Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Baird and Ryan. All of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd be very surprised if international prop Alaalatoa is coming from being first choice TH at the best club team in the world to being 3rd choice at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hell yeah!

We all dream of a tight 5 of Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Baird and Ryan. All of us.

Would be an unreal tight five alright, but not quite sure Baird and Ryan fully complement each other as they currently are. They're both athletic type second rows, possibly we need one athletic type and one more physical enforcer type. We'd need to bring in a second row from outside for this to happen. I think this would be possible as we are losing Fardy.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Furlong said "give me an extension for a year and then we'll see where we are."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Interesting idea from jackman in the42 about Leinster spending.
    We spend a lot to keep that middle tier strong so we go unbeaten for so much of the season. Its what helps us win so many games while international lads are away.

He was just wondering if they spent less on those lads and accept they lose a few games and invest the money in a superstar. Interesting thought. Like trade maloney/bent/fardy/josh murphy for an etzebeth or the like who gets you over the line in europe.
    Interesting thought.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bernard Jackman is definitely someone whose opinion I would value very highly when it comes to building rugby squads capable of winning things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bernard Jackman is definitely someone whose opinion I would value very highly when it comes to building rugby squads capable of winning things.

Shut up, Buer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Furlong said "give me an extension for a year and then we'll see where we are."

I didn't like the nucifora quote where he felt it necessary to mention that furlong had come back from a lengthy injury. Like why? Sounds almost bitter about the negotiation. As an administrator, however he feels, he shouldnt show it, it's not about him.

Advertisement