Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Clegg wrote: »
    VDF just burst through Papali'i with his carry.

Papali'i just tried to tickle him

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ongarite wrote: »
    Keenan's ability to get his hands free from tacker is superb.
    Able to stretch in for 2 trys even though he was being tackled.

The year he spent with the 7s has worked wonders for him. Really improved his skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Weird aul game. 8 tries but it didn't feel like we played well really outside of our maul and Dave and Keenan running riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's barely played since the Six Nations. Just cameos off the bench. Can't get into form with limited game time.

Had 70 minutes against Munster, 55 against La Rochelle and 20 minutes a couple of times off the bench. Not a massive amount but enough to judge his form over that period. Even tonight in an utter drubbing, he didn't have a very positive impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,930 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Only real negative of that match was the refereeing in the second half.. had a hard on for giving penalties against Leinster... whistle constantly to his lips and hand itching to give the advantage or penalty...the late disallowed try by Kearney , hmmmm was it not ripped forward or back by the Connaght player? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Keenan is comfortably the best 15 in the country now. Maybe Addison could challenge if he remains fit. But that's a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

What's the name of the woman on the panel? Haven't seen her before and she seems like a natural at it.

What's the name of the woman on the panel? Haven't seen her before and she seems like a natural at it.

Louise Galvin and she has been extremely articulate and given some good insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

Keenan is comfortably the best 15 in the country now. Maybe Addison could challenge if he remains fit. But that's a big if.

Has been for a while now. So underrated. Cracking player with very few weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Buer wrote: »
    Louise Galvin and she has been extremely articulate and given some good insight.

Yea agreed, been really enjoying her analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »
    Losing Conan early didn’t help. I would imagine he was supposed to come on in the row.

Possibly, but it was VDF who came on for him. Murphy wasn't injured was he? So it was a tactical decision to play him at 6. The back row injuries are obviously a big part of the problem, but he'd be better served focusing on second row play. Move Fardy back to 6 if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well that's one way of replying.

Abuses Toilets will be **** to that Keenan line for a month

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Strumms wrote: »
    Only real negative of that match was the refereeing in the second half.. had a hard on for giving penalties against Leinster... whistle constantly to his lips and hand itching to give the advantage or penalty...the late disallowed try by Kearney , hmmmm was it not ripped forward or back by the Connaght player? ?

I’d say the biggest negative was injuries. Probably won’t matter as the season is all but finished though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    Possibly, but it was VDF who came on for him. Murphy wasn't injured was he? So it was a tactical decision to play him at 6. The back row injuries are obviously a big part of the problem, but he'd be better served focusing on second row play. Move Fardy back to 6 if required.

Murphy was injured just prior to being removed. I assume that was the reason for the switch. Having VDF to cover the backrow would suggest Baird was likely covering second row. Though with Fardy there it’s hard to know what they intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Lowry is the second best I think. He’s not far off Keenan imo. Lowry is a really exciting player to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'll probably watch this later. On Frawley, why was he not given the remaining few games off. We could have played Hawkshaw? Now, if RB is hurt who comes in next week? Sexton? It's weird to me that Leo is not playing the younger lads. It's the ideal no one gives a rat's ass competition to blood these lads.

Murphy was limping heavily and getting treatment minutes before he was removed. I'd imagine the plan was to take Fardy off for Baird rather than have the old legs play 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Murphy was limping heavily and getting treatment minutes before he was removed. I'd imagine the plan was to take Fardy off for Baird rather than have the old legs play 80.

But once Murphy came off then Fardy was always going to play the 80. So why not move him back to 6 and put Baird into the row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Had 70 minutes against Munster, 55 against La Rochelle and 20 minutes a couple of times off the bench. Not a massive amount but enough to judge his form over that period. Even tonight in an utter drubbing, he didn't have a very positive impact.

Baird is very young and his first real season. Knocking young lads who are trying their best is not really something I like to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

sebdavis wrote: »
    Baird is very young and his first real season. Knocking young lads who are trying their best is not really something I like to see

At the same time we have to stop and shouldnt be completely over hyping these very young players in there first seasons/first real seasons as well as that happens far too much....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And yet you recently said this about Gav Coombes:
    The hype around Coombes is a bit of the top from my point of view. The Pro14 website done a comparison with Penny and to be honest Penny is ahead.

Would he be as hyped if he came from the Leinster academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Gavin Coombes is a good example of more of a slow burn development bearing fruit. It took him until around his 23rd birthday to become a regular starter.

2018/19: 2 starts + 6 bench
    2019/20: 1 start + 6 bench
    2020/21: 16 starts + 4 bench

No two players are the same and those stats ignore any injuries over that period, but it could take Baird another season or two to push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What's mad about Keenan is he just seems to play well at every level he moves up to, doesn't seemed to get fazed at all. Also get the impression that it's not a first season form bump, that he'll just be playing this well for years.

aloooof wrote: »
    And yet you recently said this about Gav Coombes:

Really little bee in your bonnet about that post.

Yes I did post that and I explained multiple times to you what the post meant and it wasn’t knocking Coombes. It ain’t my fault you can’t understand and continue to misquote it.

Move on mate, you got a couple of likes so you should be happy.

I withdraw my comment. Saying that a player has been in poor form in recent weeks was completely over the top. I should have paused before I gave him both barrels.

Mods, can you please delete my post to prevent any potential libel cases?

I withdraw my comment. Saying that a player has been in poor form in recent weeks was completely over the top. I should have paused before I gave him both barrels.

Mods, can you please delete my post to prevent any potential libel cases?

You can remove it yourself, no need for mods

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sooner de fcuk this pandemic is over the better... Cos we've all turned into cranky feckers over the last year

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He is very young but he has also played poorly since the Six Nations.

He’s going through a bad run of form. It happens but it doesn’t mean he can’t be criticised for it just because he’s young. He’s an Ireland international at the end of the day and I think it’s fair to expect more from your internationals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Really little bee in your bonnet about that post.

Yes I did post that and I explained multiple times to you what the post meant and it wasn’t knocking Coombes. It ain’t my fault you can’t understand and continue to misquote it.
    Move on mate, you got a couple of likes so you should be happy.

Just pointing out your hypocrisy and continued tendency to be extremely lenient on Leinster players while not offering the same to other players.

There is room for reasonable criticism, while not over-hyping players on the other end of the spectrum. Saying “Baird has been poor” is hardly pasting the guy.

(As for the mis-quoting comment... :rolleyes: I could list off 3 or 4 times where you’ve done just that to me in the recent past, but you’d probably have an issue with that too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Can you remember when you were 21? He’s trying his best

Advertisement