Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Dorian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fits wrote: »

Frightening stuff

Abaco spent a relatively short time under the strongest winds too - things on Grand Bahama must be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 35,733 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

pad199207 wrote: »
    Seen some footage on twitter of the abaco islands, my god they are no more. Flattened.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dylanfedericowx/status/1168704479451107328

Who is responsible for Abaco Island? Who owns it, America? Britain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

Commonwealth of the Bahamas

The Bahamas do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,733 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

highdef wrote: »
    Commonwealth of the Bahamas

So they're on their own then? No one will help them..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EDIT: it's now well below those intensity forecast points, so it could have actually lost hurricane status by Friday.

Live hard, die fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is why I hate fake news.

That could well be a real genuine video but i'm always suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is why I hate fake news.

That could well be a real genuine video but i'm always suspicious.

Me too actually. Broadsheet.ie retweeted it so i didnt check, I cant verify that its authentic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The second floor. I hope there’s a serious an sustained effort to help these people rebuild when this is over

https://twitter.com/newsbreaking/status/1168663528292532224?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

So they're on their own then? No one will help them..

Lots will help them Toby. There is a Caribbean task force who all come to aid of any country hit in the region. They will supply power workers from countries not affected (from Bermuda all the way as far south as the ABC islands off Venezuela) to restore electricity/ utilities, police to restore law and order , medical staff, loss adjusters to get insurance money flowing rapidly to aid recovery efforts. I live in the region and know some of this is underway. The US are already in there assisting with med Evacs. They also have a combined risk pool in the region for Catastrophic cover so that cash will be released. All this before donations / Red Cross etc etc arrive. There are recovery ships heading there I posted a link above of the UK one that forward deploys each May. Unfortunately storms hit every year in the region though with modern technology we are seeing it live and unfold like never before and some are far worse than others .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The second floor. I hope there’s a serious an sustained effort to help these people rebuild when this is over

https://twitter.com/newsbreaking/status/1168663528292532224?s=21

That is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So basically nothing left?

All gone?

I take everything I see reported now online with a pinch of salt. There are too many inaccurate photos, videos, Facebook posts etc out there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The water would not be that colour in the wake of such destruction.

Me too actually. Broadsheet.ie retweeted it so i didnt check, I cant verify that its authentic.

Best way to arm yourself against potentially fake or misconstrued news is to just do a bit of digging.

There's a shipping container in that video marked Duke, which is probably from this company:
    http://www.unitedabacoshipping.com/

Additionally you can see lots of modern cars in the video, which narrows the date range. One or two of the cars (particularly the silver car at 7 seconds) have a bright blue/green license plate, which matches what you'll see on a quick Google search.

For me that's enough to reassure that this is genuine (not to mention it matches other clearly genuine videos from elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

MJohnston wrote: »
    Best way to arm yourself against potentially fake or misconstrued news is to just do a bit of digging.

There's a shipping container in that video marked Duke, which is probably from this company:
    http://www.unitedabacoshipping.com/

Additionally you can see lots of modern cars in the video, which narrows the date range. One or two of the cars (particularly the silver car at 7 seconds) have a bright blue/green license plate, which matches what you'll see on a quick Google search.

For me that's enough to reassure that this is genuine (not to mention it matches other clearly genuine videos from elsewhere).

If I ever suspect the wife of anything I'm calling you to investigate....

It's not a satellite photo, it's a radar image, and it's tragically real:

https://twitter.com/Meteor_Mike/status/1168869260266999808

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's likely a false colour composite of a radar image if it's real considering the storm would have still been overhead at the time it was taken if I'm not mistaken....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

While that photo may be enhanced and coloured, it's well within the bounds of reality.
    Grand Bahama has a maximum height above sea level of 10m.
    Dorian had a storm surge of 6-7m
    It seems strange that the island and Abaco (11m ASL) wasn't fully evacuated before the storm hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also, the road markings are conveniently placed in the first photo for added effect.

Why you'd need to further dramatise such a shocking wipeout is beyond me.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Also, the road markings are conveniently placed in the first photo for added effect.

Why you'd need to further dramatise such a shocking wipeout is beyond me.

The road markings in the video are useful for showing where the built-up areas are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BumperD wrote: »
    Lots will help them Toby. There is a Caribbean task force who all come to aid of any country hit in the region. They will supply power workers from countries not affected (from Bermuda all the way as far south as the ABC islands off Venezuela) to restore electricity/ utilities, police to restore law and order , medical staff, loss adjusters to get insurance money flowing rapidly to aid recovery efforts. I live in the region and know some of this is underway. The US are already in there assisting with med Evacs. They also have a combined risk pool in the region for Catastrophic cover so that cash will be released. All this before donations / Red Cross etc etc arrive. There are recovery ships heading there I posted a link above of the UK one that forward deploys each May. Unfortunately storms hit every year in the region though with modern technology we are seeing it live and unfold like never before and some are far worse than others .

Thank you for this assurance and comfort in this appalling situation.

Just came on to thank our stalwart and always expert and accurate weather folk here. For this thread. For up to date news, all though and beyond. Always dependable. Blessings and thanks

BumperD wrote: »

To be slightly cynical too - there are a lot of financial 'interests' in the Bahamas (one of the highest GDPs in the Americas!) which makes it much more likely to receive support compared to say Puerto Rico.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be slightly cynical too - there are a lot of financial 'interests' in the Bahamas (one of the highest GDPs in the Americas!) which makes it much more likely to receive support compared to say Puerto Rico.

You may well have a point but I think humanity takes over. Haiti after the quake a few years back was flooded with aid. Anyway slightly off topic but I take your point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Down to 95 knots (Cat 2) now.

It's a complete mess now. Max surface winds a few minutes ago barely 75 knots and max flight level winds max 85 knots. Central pressure 958 hPa. We should see it reduced to CAT 1 by the 10 pm update.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's a complete mess now. Max surface winds a few minutes ago barely 75 knots and max flight level winds max 85 knots. Central pressure 958 hPa. We should see it reduced to CAT 1 by the 10 pm update.

If it gets a couple 100 km north, over warmer water again will it re-intensify or fizzle our entirely?

sdanseo wrote: »
    If it gets a couple 100 km north, over warmer water again will it re-intensify or fizzle our entirely?

Unlikely. Increased shear and drier air were always going to cause weakening anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Dorian is finally starting to pick up a small bit of speed away from Grand Bahama island. The people there have had to endure such a prolonged, devastating impact.
    DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
    At 200 PM EDT (1800 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Dorian was located
    by NWS Doppler radar near latitude 27.5 North, longitude 78.7 West.
    Dorian is moving toward the northwest near 5 mph (7 km/h), and a
    slightly faster motion toward the northwest or north-northwest is
    expected later today and tonight. A turn toward the north is
    forecast by Wednesday evening, followed by a turn toward the
    north-northeast Thursday morning. On this track, the core of
    extremely dangerous Hurricane Dorian will gradually move north of
    Grand Bahama Island through this evening. The hurricane will then
    move dangerously close to the Florida east coast late today through
    Wednesday evening, very near the Georgia and South Carolina coasts
    Wednesday night and Thursday, and near or over the North Carolina
    coast late Thursday and Thursday night.

Data from reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the maximum
    sustained winds remain near 110 mph (175 km/h) with higher gusts.
    Dorian is expected to remain a powerful hurricane during the next
    couple of days.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from the
    center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles
    (280 km).

The latest minimum central pressure based on data from Air Force
    Reserve and NOAA reconnaissance aircraft is 959 mb (28.32 inches).
    https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1168945270253588483

Advertisement