Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Dorian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah

Only glanced at it

Not really funny to be making fun of a storm where there are parents, right now, holding on to their children with all their strength to prevent them from being blown or washed away

It’s absolutely horrific what these poor people are going through right now and what lies ahead of them in the weeks months and years ahead

And the US president, who is a climate change denier, says he’s never heard of a category 5 hurricane before despite the unprecedented parade of these storms affecting his own nation in the 3 years since he took office

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They're not making fun of the destruction though are they?

Not a discussion I'm willing to have so I bow out here.

Folk must be very naive if they think the Americans couldn't affect the weather. Cloud seeding has been around for years. I'm not saying they are but I am saying I believe it's possible

Please go away. It’s pathetic that you think sprinkling salt crystals on a category 5 hurricane would change it’s course

It’s ok to think such stupid ideas, it’s different to express them confidently in public

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They're not making fun of the destruction though are they?

Not a discussion I'm willing to have so I bow out here.

There are videos of mothers pleading with god for the storm to end to protect their children.

I’m an atheist who hates the ‘thoughts and prayers’ paradigm but there is a time and a place. When this is over, we need to have a very serious discussion about where all this energy has come from to fuel all these ridiculously powerful and destructive storms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is that all from storm surge? It's hard to imagine anything other than huge loss of life if that's replicated all over the islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is that all from storm surge? It's hard to imagine anything other than huge loss of life if that's replicated all over the islands.

It would be, although the airport is very much on the sea, one can imagine significant damage across that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This thing is collapsing. Pressure now mid-940s. The 12Z HWRF had forecast around 921 hPa for this time. Current winds seem to have dropped to below 100 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

There was mention of 50+ on the weather channel 30 minutes ago but unconfirmed. It will take a while to get a handle on this.

I know we are getting first hand videos etc but the aftermath can nearly be as bad, no power/ ac, water, toilets etc etc cannot imagine people there waiting this out it must be going on for ever for them, they will suffer ptsd after this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are videos of mothers pleading with god for the storm to end to protect their children.

I’m an atheist who hates the ‘thoughts and prayers’ paradigm but there is a time and a place. When this is over, we need to have a very serious discussion about where all this energy has come from to fuel all these ridiculously powerful and destructive storms

I’m flummoxed by that whole post but that last part particularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wu3b8jfm7q9o0i

What would help for this to stop, excuse my lack of knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This thing is collapsing. Pressure now mid-940s. The 12Z HWRF had forecast around 921 hPa for this time. Current winds seem to have dropped to below 100 kts.

Is it because it is stationary though..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What would help for this to stop, excuse my lack of knowledge.

You mean hurricanes in general? Or this one specifically? Or just this thread?

Akrasia wrote: »

Here we go again.

It's peak hurricane season. Up to this point it's been running way below average. How do you explain that?

Dorian gets its fuel from the ocean, warmest at this time of the year. It formed in an area of negative sst anomaly (explain that) and moved into an area of positive anomaly. Overall on its track it's probably had an average sst path.

489787.png

Dorian is the 5th Atlantic Cat 5 in the last 4 years. Worrying? Well, in the 1930s there was a similar pattern, with 5 occuring in 4 years and 6 in that decade. That hasn't been matched since.

https://weather.com/amp/storms/hurricane/news/2019-09-01-hurricane-dorian-atlantic-hurricane-category-five-history.html

FULL LIST OF ATLANTIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANES

2019: Dorian
    2018: Michael
    2017: Irma, Maria
    2016: Matthew
    2007: Dean, Felix
    2005: Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma
    2004: Ivan
    2003: Isabel
    1998: Mitch
    1992: Andrew
    1989: Hugo
    1988: Gilbert
    1980: Allen
    1979: David
    1977: Anita
    1971: Edith
    1969: Camille
    1967: Beulah
    1961: Carla, Hattie
    1955: Janet
    1953: Carol
    1938: Unnamed Hurricane
    1935: Unnamed Hurricane
    1933: Two Unnamed Hurricanes
    1932: Two Unnamed Hurricanes
    1928: Unnamed Hurricane
    1924: Unnamed Hurricane

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : stay on topic, be civil. This thread is about Hurricane Dorian only. Climate Change etc in appropriate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"Dorian is the 5th Atlantic Cat 5 in the last 4 years. Worrying? Well, in the 1930s there was a similar pattern, with 5 occuring in 4 years and 6 in that decade. That hasn't been matched since."

Hasn't been matched since??

The list of cat 5's you provided totally contradicts yourself.

Not only has it happened since, the noughties was the worst decade ever according to your data.

6!! cat 5's occurred in the 3 years 2003,2004,2005 and in that decade there were 8 cat 5 hurricanes. (actually all 8 of these cat 5 were in a 5 year period)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

US coast guard are med evacing out of Abaco tonight. For those wanting to track relief vessels in the area this map is helpful. Red ones are military and assisting with relief efforts I imagine a few will be in the area soon.

I must confess I’ve never seen an eye sit stationary in the same spot for so long maybe Harvey a few years ago but this is just desperate altogether

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=232697000

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Surprised he didn’t try to evacuate Greenland while he was at it.

Excuse my ignorance, but given that Dorian now seems to be losing strength and speed, is it a possibility that it could become more powerful again once it crosses another band of water? Can one see distinct drops in speed etc only for it to suddenly pick up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Merkin wrote: »
    Surprised he didn’t try to evacuate Greenland while he was at it.

Excuse my ignorance, but given that Dorian now seems to be losing strength and speed, is it a possibility that it could become more powerful again once it crosses another band of water? Can one see distinct drops in speed etc only for it to suddenly pick up again?

Any increase in strength likely to be small and only very temporary. Sea surface temps are cooler further north, the hurricane is also bringing up deeper cooler water to the surface now (known as up-welling) which disrupts warmer surface fuel, and the hurricane's lack of forward momentum also does not increase the wind speeds, it at most restricts them.

There are many other variables at work but those three in tandem are poison to a storm like this. It will die off gradually but still very powerful as it moves north.

zisdead wrote: »
    "Dorian is the 5th Atlantic Cat 5 in the last 4 years. Worrying? Well, in the 1930s there was a similar pattern, with 5 occuring in 4 years and 6 in that decade. That hasn't been matched since."

Hasn't been matched since??

The list of cat 5's you provided totally contradicts yourself.

Not only has it happened since, the noughties was the worst decade ever according to your data.

6!! cat 5's occurred in the 3 years 2003,2004,2005 and in that decade there were 8 cat 5 hurricanes. (actually all 8 of these cat 5 were in a 5 year period)

Hands up, you're right. 2005 was a clear outlier. Taken as a whole, however, the 1930s was as active as any decade, including this one.

• Advertisement

Dorian is Cat 3 now, 120 mph (104 kt).

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND ABOUT 100 MI...165 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

The latest track has even the 50-knot winds staying offshore eastern Florida. The centre comes within only 8 NM of Cape Hatteras, NC, on Friday, by then most likely just a CAT 1.

EDIT: it's now well below those intensity forecast points, so it could have actually lost hurricane status by Friday.

al052019.19090218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That's twice now that the islands around Florida saved it from a cat 5. Irma was all set to hit Florida as a cat 5 when it wobbled south into Cuba and lost all its power and now Dorian stalling over the Bahamas

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Given the dorian is hovering in the same position for 12 plus hours, What's the likely hood of Dorian disrupting the rest of the Hurricane season in this region Is it possible we won't see any more serious storms in this location until the sea temps start to build again and the conditions become favourible again. Could it be too late in the season for that to happen

Or what have previous hurricanes caused, can a rapid relaod of the right conditions occur
    C

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Given the dorian is hovering in the same position for 12 plus hours, What's the likely hood of Dorian disrupting the rest of the Hurricane season in this region Is it possible we won't see any more serious storms in this location until the sea temps start to build again and the conditions become favourible again. Could it be too late in the season for that to happen

Or what have previous hurricanes caused, can a rapid relaod of the right conditions occur
    C

It's upwelled a relatively small area of ocean, and with such shallow waters around the Bahamas the temperature will quickly come back up. The peak of the season is around the 10th of September. There are 3 other systems currently being investigated by none looks like developing into much yet. The one near Cape Verde would have a large area of cooler seas to cross before developing into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

[quote="

It's upwelled a relatively small area of ocean, and with such shallow waters around the Bahamas the temperature will quickly come back up. The peak of the season is around the 10th of September. There are 3 other systems currently being investigated by none looks like developing into much yet. The one near Cape Verde would have a large area of cooler seas to cross before developing into anything.

Thanks, I have a n Eastern Carribean crusie booked out of Port Canaveral on October 26th and the itinerary pretty much covers the direction that Dorian has taken so far, but thankfully none of my ports of call have been damaged so far.

We have stops in Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas

Fingers crossed this will be the last big one of the season to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Edit- Image removed

Some of the images coming out of the Bahamas look post apocalyptic- I love weather and it's extremes but hope I never have to live through anything like that, a lot of peoples lives and livelihoods it tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

sideswipe wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GalNaimi/status/1168775985292087296?s=20

Not sure if this is real or not! Some of the images coming out of the Bahamas look post apocalyptic- I look weather and it's extremes but hope I never have to live through anything like that, a lot of peoples lives and livelihoods it tatters.

It's 3d art per the thread.

Dorian's still far away. Further, having been to FL many times *maybe* this is some view from Fort Lauderdale, but it looks 'enhanced.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just copped that alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seen some footage on twitter of the abaco islands, my god they are no more. Flattened.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dylanfedericowx/status/1168704479451107328

Advertisement