Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's kind of the very definition of a home no?

it is but you wouldn't think so with the number of posters saying it isn't her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I can't believe there is anyone who believes it is not far-right in Ireland they might be a tiny insignificant noisy group but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Was it a violent protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

.anon. wrote: »
    Not condoning it (oh, no siree!), just downplaying it. As long as she is holder of the position, it's her home. I strongly doubt that these people would have had any moral issue with turning up at the house that she owns either, if she was actually residing there.

As they did to Simon Harris (and I included in the link!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, but it was uncomfortable for Hazel (her words).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

somebody's feelings were hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

and for the year she is lord mayor she is living there with her family. that makes it her home. To suggest otherwise is to downplay what happened.

Protests take place outside 10 Downing Street and the White House all the time, for the obvious reason that they're the official residences of the UK's prime minister (well, he actually lives in 11, but 10 is still the official home) and the US president. If these public representatives were complaining that people shouldn't be allowed to protest outside the homes where they live with their families, they would look like fools -- because people have always protested outside such official residences, which are state-owned buildings and not privately owned residences. Protesting outside the Mansion House is exactly analogous.

Did we also have threads about the anti-austerity protesters who gathered outside the privately owned residences of Simon Harris, Richard Bruton, and Leo Varadkar, and who attempted to intimidate Harris's wife and her newborn baby? I don't recall the hand-wringing then about the danger of extremists gathering outside people's homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I still don't understand why you would protest the lord mayor over face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Invidious wrote: »
    Protests take place outside 10 Downing Street and the White House all the time, for the obvious reason that they're the official residences of the UK's prime minister (well, he actually lives in 11, but 10 is still the official home) and the US president. If these public representatives were complaining that people shouldn't be allowed to protest outside the homes where they live with their families, they would look like fools -- because people have always protested outside such official residences, which are state-owned buildings and not privately owned residences. Protesting outside the Mansion House is exactly analogous.

Did we also have threads about the anti-austerity protesters who gathered outside the privately owned residences of Simon Harris, Richard Bruton, and Leo Varadkar, and who attempted to intimidate Harris's wife and her newborn baby? I don't recall the hand-wringing then about the danger of extremists gathering outside people's homes.

They are the leaders of the country not someone holding a ceremonial position. I'm also pretty sure that you can't walk up to the PM or president at the front door.

Very disingenuous there was a lot about the dangers of extremists, especially after the Simon Harris incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you cannot protest on downing st or at the front door of the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If it was her and her husband's private house in suburbia i'd have a big problem with it but i feel there is a bit of a difference when it's a large and fairly ostentatious mansion owned by the state, the official residence which comes with her office, slap bang in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If it was her and her husband's private house in suburbia i'd have a big problem with it but i feel there is a bit of a difference when it's a large and fairly ostentatious mansion owned by the state, the official residence which comes with her office, slap bang in the city centre.

Again, it's her home. And no one has answered about why people are protesting at her residence/temporary mansion, about face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

robodonkey wrote: »
    "The word 'racism' is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything - and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist.'"

Thomas Sowell

That goes both ways really. Racist posters on boards are always demanding 'evidence', then ignore it when it's presented.

I agree that using "her home" instead of Mansion House is manipulative. Its the official and ceremonial residence of her position and that is obviously relevant.

That said, it was wrong when people did this to Simon Harris and its wrong now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can definitely remember a big Harris thread. And he was Minister for Health at the time, not some up-to-now barely noticed ceremonial role.

As a few have asked why would anti-mask protest target the Lord Mayor of Dublin? Has she something to do with the mask-wearing policy of the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

You had someone posting on here last night saying the IRA shooting someone in the head is the same as a politician making a decision error in the response to COVID. This is Ireland 2020/21. Just read the pages of bile on any of the government threads with posters tripping over the other to make more and more disgusting comments
    What happens when they get bored of spewing it one the internet? then you start to see them showing up in person to events etc.
    I don't support the government and the sooner they move on the better but at the end of the day these are just people doing a job. Nothing else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dan1895 wrote: »
    Effects wrote: »
    Again, it's her home. And no one has answered about why people are protesting at her residence/temporary mansion, about face masks.

Going to be a long time waiting for an answer there lads

You had someone posting on here last night saying the IRA shooting someone in the head is the same as a politician making a decision error in the response to COVID. This is Ireland 2020/21. Just read the pages of bile on any of the government threads with posters tripping over the other to make more and more disgusting comments
    What happens when they get bored of spewing it one the internet? then you start to see them showing up in person to events etc.
    I don't support the government and the sooner they move on the better but at the end of the day these are just people doing a job. Nothing else

Boards is a great form of entertainment but very disappointed with what's allowed on some of the political threads here the same with the racists who get their say.

I know it's almost impossible to moderate and there is the issue of free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

dan1895 wrote: »

Who knows man, your expecting logic from this crowd. Im all for making your voice heard and not mollycoddling politicians but this one makes zero sense in terms of the demands and the the venue.
    I can only assume it was to gain publicity for the anti-mask movement, which has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Interesting that she complained about not being able to go out for lunch. If she could let us know where is open for lunch that would be great.

Does seem a bit of a stupid protest.

Protestors shouldn't touch or encircle anyone, especially these days.

It's a bit different to protesting Simon Harris' home, but it's still wrong. Protesting where people live, home or house shouldn't be something we do here.

She did put her foot in it when she called the killing of George a racist murder by Gardaí and saying it wouldn't have happened to a white person within an hour of the news breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

mariaalice wrote: »
    Boards is a great form of entertainment but very disappointed with what's allowed on some of the political threads here the same with the racists who get their say.

I know it's almost impossible to moderate and there is the issue of free speech.

Just look at the FF/FG thread now and you have someone accusing FG supporters of murdering a councillor. Nothing to back it up. This on the same page as saying the current TD's are the same as members of the IRA.
    How is that free speech?

Effects wrote: »
    Again, it's her home.

The White House is Joe Bidens home. No protesting allowed near that building then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Considering Hazel chu’s social media reaction to the death of a violent knife man I was expecting some form of protest to arrive at her door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

It is her home at the moment. The racists on here claiming it isn't because it is a state property are simply deflecting from the actions of their fellow racists.

It is time the state got serious with groups like these. The idea that 30 could turn up and only one be arrested is unacceptable. All 30 of them should have been arrested. If they tried this stunt in France or most other EU nations they would have had their heads cracked by the riot squad and the ringleaders would have started a lengthy jail sentence already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Considering Hazel chu’s social media reaction to the death of a violent knife man I was expecting some form of protest to arrive at her door

Another thing is Ppl have long memories in this country - I’d say even in ten years time ppl will be reminding each other of Hazel chu’s tweets about the knife man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

where did I suggest that? can you quote the post where i suggested that?

when you were critical of the protests at "her home"

but you say below.
    nothing odd about it. she lives there with her family. that makes it her home. a building can have multiple uses.

does this not mean they cannot protest at the mansion house cos (you claim) it is her home.

enlighten me then, when can they protest at the mansion in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

For masks?

"Ah we're not here cos we're racists, its... eh masks, yeah masks!"

What does the lord mayor of Dublin have to do with public health advice? fuck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

Desperate spinning from the usual cohort. She currently resides at the Mansion House. It is her current home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement