Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options
  • 22-01-2021 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.

A female member of the protestors was arrested and later fined for breaching public health laws.

Link here.

What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

We give out about Muslims getting brainwashed by extremists, and here we have otherwise normal people getting brainwashed off Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't think Chu played a blinder in response to George Nkencho, but there's been a nasty, grossly disproportionate backlash. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

One's home is one's safe zone. It's not ok to show up at people's homes.
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.
    "I didn't think my life was in danger but it was deeply uncomfortable," Ms Chu said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I edged towards the door and when I got there one shouted: 'Hazel Chu, you're going to turn into a shapeshifting dragon someday and we're going to catch it on camera'. It was bizarre.

Sounds more like conspiracy theorists than Nazis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I edged towards the door and when I got there one shouted: 'Hazel Chu, you're going to turn into a shapeshifting dragon someday and we're going to catch it on camera'. It was bizarre.

They look and sound like nutters alright, facebook "fascists" at best, though the media will be further emboldened to call Ireland a hotbed of the far right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is anti-maskers far right now?
    Sure Sweden were anti-mask for a long time. Many there are still not using masks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Omackeral wrote: »
    What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

I'm sure their sympathisers will be along soon to insinuate that there is, in fact, nothing wrong with them and that Hazel Chu is the problem. And also that she definitely wasn't singled out because of her ethnicity, and that she is only looking for attention.

There have been some truly terrible holders of the honorary position of Lord Mayor of Dublin in the past - corrupt chancers, in it for themselves - and none of those white men ever received anything like the kind of abuse that Hazel Chu gets. Can't think why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not condoning this at all, but turning up at the Mansion House sounds alot better than turned up at her home.

Five people protest outside Mansion House is less of a story.

Alot more sinister if it was a private residency, which we have seen in Ireland before.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/protesters-gather-outside-simon-harris-s-home-again-1.3874486

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I honestly think deplatforming these nutters has made things worse now that they have their own platforms (gab/telegram/mewe).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

TBH most nazis are conspiracy theorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Saying "her home" sounds far more sinister until you discover it was the steps of the Mansion House. Interesting that its framed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Very slightly disingenuous headline...her "home" in this case being her official residence. It's like Michael D being protested at the Aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

keano_afc wrote: »
    Saying "her home" sounds far more sinister until you discover it was the steps of the Mansion House. Interesting that its framed that way.

it is her home. she lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm not defending these people.

But the "home" in the article question is the mansion house. That's like saying a protest at the Aras is at Micheal D's private residence. It's not the same.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim it's her home which would imply it's her private residence. If they protested at her actual home that would be terrible behaviour.

Is the mansion house out of bounds for protest? surely not,.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

it is her home. she lives there.

That is a house; it is not a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Not condoning this at all, but turning up at the Mansion House sounds alot better than turned up at her home.

Not condoning it (oh, no siree!), just downplaying it. As long as she is holder of the position, it's her home. I strongly doubt that these people would have had any moral issue with turning up at the house that she owns either, if she was actually residing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I think you'll find that yes, these anti-maskers are far right nutters, Gen Bilroy, Demma o Gogherty, Wee Dall, Craham C Jarey - All your usual jokeshop clowns.

And doesn't The Lord Mayor live in the mansion house?

How can you say that's not her home? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A rare scenario where everyone is in the wrong. And everyone is seeking the same oxygen of publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think you'll find that yes, these anti-maskers are far right nutters, Gen Bilroy, Demma o Gogherty, Wee Dall, Craham C Jarey - All your usual jokeshop clowns.

And doesn't The Lord Mayor live in the mansion house?

How can you say that's not her home? FFS

Pal of mine lived there when his dad was Lord Mayor and he would certainly have referred to it as home at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Silly but genuine question.

Some people don't like wearing masks. Fair enough - I don't agree with them in the slightest and wish they'd **** off but for whatever reason that's their opinion. But what's their problem with others wearing them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Collie D wrote: »
    Silly but genuine question.

Some people don't like wearing masks. Fair enough - I don't agree with them in the slightest and wish they'd **** off but for whatever reason that's their opinion. But what's their problem with others wearing them?
    I’d think they weren’t getting enough attention for not wearing their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

TBH most nazis are conspiracy theorists.

"The term "Nazi" was in use before the rise of the NSDAP as a colloquial and derogatory word for a backwards farmer or peasant, characterizing an awkward and clumsy person. In this sense, the word Nazi was a hypocorism of the German male name Igna(t)z (itself a variation of the name Ignatius)—Igna(t)z being a common name at the time in Bavaria, the area from which the NSDAP emerged.[11][12]"

Backwards alright, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

KaneToad wrote: »
    A rare scenario where everyone is in the wrong. And everyone is seeking the same oxygen of publicity.

How is Hazel Chu wrong in this one?

She lives there, it's her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mental illness maybe? be sad if Ireland ended having to have security for every politician.

There was a group protesting outside a politicians house two years ago, in my opinion, the politicians should have gone out and engaged them with the bit of banter until my husband pointed out the fact the Jo Cox had been murdered by a right-wing loon. The protesters two years ago were of a left persuasion but the point still stands.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/23/thomas-mair-slow-burning-hatred-led-to-jo-cox-murder.

The slow-burning hatred that led Thomas Mair to murder Jo Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

KaneToad wrote: »

Nailed it.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That is a house; it is not a home.

people generally call the place they live their home. She lives in the mansion house with her family. that makes it her home. how is that even open for debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

people generally call the place they live their home. She lives in the mansion house with her family. that makes it her home. how is that even open for debate?

You know why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

biko wrote: »
    Is anti-maskers far right now?
    Sure Sweden were anti-mask for a long time. Many there are still not using masks.

I can assure you I am not far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Home is where the heart is. It’s just a short stint; a temporary residency she’ll be out in no time at all

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Home is where the heart is. It’s just a short stint; a temporary residency she’ll be out in no time at all

and for the year she is lord mayor she is living there with her family. that makes it her home. To suggest otherwise is to downplay what happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement