Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

I'm failing to see any racism here. Are people saying the odd and ****ty behaviour by the protesters is racist purely because Chu is of Asian descent?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Official residents will keep people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's her home and her official residence and as her official residence it's presumably fair game for protesters, no matter how distasteful and unwashed they might be.

Mayor Wheeler's home in Portland Oregon was extensively protested by concerned citizens if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.

A female member of the protestors was arrested and later fined for breaching public health laws.

Link here.

What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

Everyone is far right to Chu. Where was the racism? There wasn't any, only in her mind.

Ridiculous article. It's not news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

dennispenn wrote: »
    Everyone is far right to Chu. Where was the racism? There wasn't any, only in her mind.

Ridiculous article. It's not news.

Were you there to say there wasn't any racism?

• Advertisement

You may as well say that the racist attack was committed by nazi chimps in a hot air balloon hovering above the mansion house.

I mean, it doesn't say so in the article but I wasn't there to say there wasn't Nazi monkeys.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Mental illness maybe? be sad if Ireland ended having to have security for every politician.

There was a group protesting outside a politicians house two years ago, in my opinion, the politicians should have gone out and engaged with the bit of banter until my husband pointed out the fact the Jo Cox had been murdered by a right-wing loon. The protesters two years ago were of a left persuasion but the point still stands.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/23/thomas-mair-slow-burning-hatred-led-to-jo-cox-murder.

The slow-burning hatred that led Thomas Mair to murder Jo Cox
    this is utterly ridiculous linking the murder of Joe Cox with hazel Chu's hurt feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did the protestors get the idea to go to her home from Antifa?
    Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler says he’s looking for a new place to live after his Pearl District condo building has been the site of repeated demonstrations, including on Monday when crowds demanded he resign and some people set fires and broke windows.
    SRC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Disagree with anyone who is not white now and you are a 'far right' racist. They are muppets and shouldn't be anywhere near the woman's home but whats with the far right carry on. Do the 'far right' even exist here in reality? Seems that some people would be bitterly disappointed if there were no actual racists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Chu has come in for abuse from the moment she took office, it's clear as day what the agenda is.

So which crowd of nutters was it this time? National party? Gemma?

• Advertisement

I read the article. If there was racism in her encounter, she'd have pointed it out to the journalist who wrote the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

this is utterly ridiculous linking the murder of Joe Cox with hazel Chu's hurt feelings.

It does not start off with murder read the article it's very illuminating.

It not about the agenda of the protester's as such everyone is entitled to protest its about radicalisation of all sorts both left and right and while the vast majority of protesters are absolutely fine, there is always the danger of the one who isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't think so. Thin end of the same wedge in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

boombang wrote: »
    I don't think Chu played a blinder in response to George Nkencho, but there's been a nasty, grossly disproportionate backlash. Crazy stuff.

There wasn't much of a backlash to her deeply offensive and inciting comments.

Not compared to Bríd Smith's post on Facebook which got about 15k comments condemning her.

Disagree with anyone who is not white now and you are a 'far right' racist. They are muppets and shouldn't be anywhere near the woman's home but whats with the far right carry on. Do the 'far right' even exist here in reality? Seems that some people would be bitterly disappointed if there were no actual racists.

They are our far right. they're a bunch of useless muppets just like the fools who stormed the capital in the US, all mouth, no substance, no intelligence.

The far right is a joke, just like the far left is a joke - worldwide.

It's just gas how many try wade in here and defend the actions of these complete and utter gobshites

"duhh its not her home" ffs.

Chu has come in for abuse from the moment she took office, it's clear as day what the agenda is.

So which crowd of nutters was it this time? National party? Gemma?

It's clear what you WANT the agenda to be.

Not everything can be the fault of racism, sexism, fascism, islamaphobia, homoohobia or whatever ism or phobia you want to level at people.

I read the article. If there was racism in her encounter, she'd have pointed it out to the journalist who wrote the article.

Are you sure? maybe she didn't as lads like you would be saying "sure every interaction she has she calls racism, uses the race card" maybe she's avoiding that - who knows... not me or you anyway, as we weren't there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm not saying that Mayor Chu deserves the abuse, but I think it shows how nasty identity politics is that anyone going near it risks attracting attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Danzy wrote: »
    There wasn't much of a backlash to her deeply offensive and inciting comments.

Ah there was, people were ripping into her on Twitter over it.

They are our far right. they're a bunch of useless muppets just like the fools who stormed the capital in the US, all mouth, no substance, no intelligence.

The far right is a joke, just like the far left is a joke - worldwide.

It's just gas how many try wade in here and defend the actions of these complete and utter gobshites

"duhh its not her home" ffs.

The article says 'her home' what did I miss here? And my post did not defend the actions of these people, so please read it again. ffs

• Advertisement

Misleading headline is misleading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not everything can be the fault of racism, sexism, fascism, islamaphobia, homoohobia or whatever ism or phobia you want to level at people.

Why did the Barret's go after her then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the point in protesting against masks at the Mayor's residence anyway? What has the Mayor got to do with deciding or implementing that type of policy?

Are you sure? maybe she didn't as lads like you would be saying "sure every interaction she has she calls racism, uses the race card" maybe she's avoiding that - who knows... not me or you anyway, as we weren't there...

Haha, so she didn't mention racism as racists don't allow her to use her her race because of racism.

So if there IS a mention of racism, it's because of racists, and if there ISNT a mention of racism, it's because of racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

and for the year she is lord mayor she is living there with her family. that makes it her home. To suggest otherwise is to downplay what happened.

are protests not allowed at the mansion house ?

Seems a bit odd to say that considering it's a official building for the lord mayor - it's not a private residence. Of course, the lord mayor lives there but there is a lot more that happens there in an official capacity

Is the aras out of bounds too for a protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

"The word 'racism' is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything - and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist.'"

Thomas Sowell

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The article says 'her home' what did I miss here? And my post did not defend the actions of these people, so please read it again. ffs

you missed the bit where she is lord mayor of dublin and is currently living there with her family.

you missed the bit where she is lord mayor of dublin and is currently living there with her family.

That's kind of the very definition of a home no?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

paw patrol wrote: »
    are protests not allowed at the mansion house ?

where did I suggest that? can you quote the post where i suggested that?
    paw patrol wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd to say that considering it's a official building for the lord mayor - it's not a private residence. Of course, the lord mayor lives there but there is a lot more that happens there in an official capacity

Is the aras out of bounds too for a protest?

nothing odd about it. she lives there with her family. that makes it her home. a building can have multiple uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

For the years that's in it, it's her home. She also has a small kid, so that would make it more uncomfortable and dangerous. Can that crowd be trusted? I wouldn't trust them to not harm her or the kid if they got the chance. Would be very frightening and upsetting for the kid anyway.

And for the record, I don't like her too much, I find she's very abrasive, and a bit of a media attention seeker, and FWIW I've voted Green in most elections.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement