Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I'm not referring to Blanchardstown only, as that appears to have nothing to do with this breed of dragon hunters?

I'm not so sure. They had placards that said "My Life Matters" which to me seems a little bit too similar to 'Black Lives Matter' to be coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Who is radicalising these lunatics?

A combination of facebook/social media and an inability to distinguish fantasy from real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Have a read of the constitution, freedom of assembly.

Citizens info provides this additional information

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html
    There are other limitations on your freedom of assembly. You cannot meet on private property without the consent of the owner - that is trespass. Parades and processions are not illegal but it is a public nuisance to obstruct a highway without authorisation.

You may not hold a procession or meeting within half a mile of the Houses of the Oireachtas when a chief superintendent or higher ranking garda informs the organisers of such an event that it is prohibited or where any garda within that half-mile radius asks you to disperse

It is possible of course, as long as the motivations aren't racist/misogynist...

But I think we all know - (and anyone who denies is being disingenuous imo) - that this 'protest' wasn't about masks.

Why don't you come out with it then?

Do you believe that it was because of her ethnicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I don't know these people or their motives so Im not attempting to defend them but in general, is it possible to have a protest against a non-white or female politician without being labelled a racist or misogynist ? US social wars being imported wont bring anything beneficial to our country.

True, its hard to know if they are racist or not. Some presume because they dont see a racial element in the shooting, that it makes them automatically racist.

I dont think the shooting was racially motivated.

I certainly think Chu is wrong to be saying Garda murdered the shooting victim without all the facts or until an investigation was been complete.

I believe the BLM protests recently are misguided.

Im not a racist.

That said I have these views yet Im not throwing vile abuse at Chu or anyone else. Im not protesting outside her house where her kid lives.

Its wrong IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just as a note -

It's possible to dislike Hazel Chu, and also dislike her being harassed on her doorstep, same as what happened to Harris, same as what happened to Burton.

I like none of their professional views/motivations/attitudes/actions - but I respect them as humans. This mob of slack jawed racist fantasists don't respect anyone.

Even Hazel, Every white is racist, Chu. Didn't call this one racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So funny how no-one ever cared about the Dublin Mayor until it wasn't a white person.

Sorry but loads of ppl “cared” about the role of Lord Mayor for generations. It’s nothing to do with chu’s background.

Ppl are angry with chu’s statements and activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

So funny how no-one ever cared about the Dublin Mayor until it wasn't a white person.

It was an issue when sinn Fein had a lord mayor of Dublin. Nothing to do with the colour of anyone's skin.

There are lots of reasons why ppl are v angry with the Lord Mayor. I just don’t think she should automatically label protest as abuse.

Even Claire burn said they were perfectly entitled to protest.

Protests have led to great social progress over the years. Elected politicians should remember that.

100% also there was a ban on arranged gatherings during the pandemic but it seemed to be ignored at the time Blanchardstown Police station was protested after that shooting..

We cannot pick and chose even if we don't agree, a protest is a protest, sure how does she think shoppers felt in that shopping center when all those lads charged through screaming in PROTEST at shoppers etc, why was that ok in her mind id ask her? no fun when you're on the receiving end of a nasty protest Hazel or indeed feel intimidated.she has good press, that's the difference.

People did care and were critical. Just because you didn't care about criticism until it wasn't a white person, doesn't mean others didnt.

The people who are radicalising these idiots are the people who make everything about race and who attribute racism to any scenario that involves a white person and a non white person.

If people get labelled a racist often enough, don't be surprised when they eventually act racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

beakerjoe wrote: »
    True, its hard to know if they are racist or not. Some presume because they dont see a racial element in the shooting, that it makes them automatically racist.

I dont think the shooting was racially motivated.

I certainly think Chu is wrong to be saying Garda murdered the shooting victim without all the facts or until an investigation was been complete.

I believe the BLM protests recently are misguided.

Im not a racist.

That said I have these views yet Im not throwing vile abuse at Chu or anyone else. Im not protesting outside her house where her kid lives.

Its wrong IMO

Good post. Agree totally.

Chu is a strong woman. She's also too smart for these people as shes shown before every time they have tried to have a pop and shes winning this one too. Anyone who reads the story can't help but think that the people turning up at her home are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It is possible of course, as long as the motivations aren't racist/misogynist...

Nah, it's not possible. Same with an argument on the internet. As soon as someone isn't happy with your point of view, out will come the label maker and you'll have one of those labels affixed to your forehead.

I remember quite a big deal was made of it and a lot of people cared when it went to someone from SF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

keano_afc wrote: »
    Saying "her home" sounds far more sinister until you discover it was the steps of the Mansion House. Interesting that its framed that way.

The day media doesn't have an agenda is the day i grow wings and migrate to sunnier climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Royston Brady was some what infamous.

🙈🙉🙊

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nah, it's not possible. Same with an argument on the internet. As soon as someone isn't happy with your point of view, out will come the label maker and you'll have one of those labels affixed to your forehead.

And once they can get you with any label your argument is invalid because you are a bad person.

Identity politics 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

touts wrote: »
    It is her home at the moment. The racists on here claiming it isn't because it is a state property are simply deflecting from the actions of their fellow racists.

It is time the state got serious with groups like these. The idea that 30 could turn up and only one be arrested is unacceptable. All 30 of them should have been arrested. If they tried this stunt in France or most other EU nations they would have had their heads cracked by the riot squad and the ringleaders would have started a lengthy jail sentence already.

I've no idea whether these people were "racist" or not, as the only basis for that seems to be that the Lord Mayor they were protesting against happens to be of Asian descent, though since they weren't, as far as I'm aware, protesting her race, but rather her stance on masks (or something to that effect), then I think the "racists" label is just the usual kneejerk "everyone I disagree with is a Nazi" thing that's so in vogue at the moment.

The pertinenent point here is the opposition to the protest happening at her official residence. This is hilarious - every single one of the posters raising that, would have supported the protests outside the White House.

I hear we're all hypocrites now Ted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

GarIT wrote: »

Can you not see the difference there? Not related to the mayor. 3rd link doesnt work either

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I'm failing to see any racism here.

"I edged towards the door and when I got there one shouted: 'Hazel Chu, you're going to turn into a shapeshifting dragon someday and we're going to catch it on camera'. "

I wouldn't be too familiar with Irish shape shifting dragons, so ya, there was racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I don't know these people or their motives so Im not attempting to defend them but in general, is it possible to have a protest against a non-white or female politician without being labelled a racist or misogynist ?

Say what you like about Barack Obama, but he didn't come out bleating about racism every time someone protested against him.

But every single time I see Hazel Chu's name in the media, she's throwing accusations of racism & sexism around like confetti.

She had the perfect opportunity here to address the topic of the protest, talk about the importance of wearing face masks to help protect others, and how she supports that ... but she didn't. As usual, she warbled on about herself and how uncomfortable she feels in this racist society.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

"I edged towards the door and when I got there one shouted: 'Hazel Chu, you're going to turn into a shapeshifting dragon someday and we're going to catch it on camera'. "

I wouldn't be too familiar with Irish shape shifting dragons, so ya, there was racism.

Is "Shapeshifting Dragon" a race now?

Jaysus, it's getting harder and harder to keep up.

Not sure if serious..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Broadsheets reporting that Gardaí are in discussions with DPP about building a case against an on-the-run dog that laid a poop up near St Stephen's Green for Lord Mayor Chú to stand on.
    She's vehement that this dog acted alone and knew damn well who it was targeting. Dogs are known to victim-blame when the hot-stepper is a person of non-local origin. Enough is enough. Such a person should be able to walk anywhere they wish without being assaulted in such a vile manner. After all, no person of local origin suffers such an ignominious calamity. Ever! It's sh1t, that's what it is. Gardaí following definite líne of enquiry ré radicalised dogs with their own Instagrams /Facebark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Effects wrote: »
    If it was her and her husband's private house in suburbia i'd have a big problem with it but i feel there is a bit of a difference when it's a large and fairly ostentatious mansion owned by the state, the official residence which comes with her office, slap bang in the city centre.
    Again, it's her home. And no one has answered about why people are protesting at her residence/temporary mansion, about face masks.

Eh..........Mansion house. Around the corner from Kildare St.

Place probably crawling with guards.

It wouldn't be nice to be on the receiving end of people expressing their dislike of you but every politician gets that. You can't say that the article is not completely misleading on the "home" front. When I read the story I pictured her putting the bins out of her semi-d in Clonsilla or wherever and being accosted by a mob who travelled there to target her. Not one or two lunatics who were probably just there giving out about everything and happened to spot her walking about and recognised her and decided to vent at her from a distance.

What headline will we have when she finishes her term as Lord Mayor and someone else is due to move in and the moving vans arrive?

"Far right racists in attempt to forcibly remove poor Hazel Chu from her family home"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

Invidious wrote: »
    Say what you like about Barack Obama, but he didn't come out bleating about racism every time someone protested against him.

But every single time I see Hazel Chu's name in the media, she's throwing accusations of racism & sexism around like confetti.

She had the perfect opportunity here to address the topic of the protest, talk about the importance of wearing face masks to help protect others, and how she supports that ... but she didn't. As usual, she warbled on about herself and how uncomfortable she feels in this racist society.

Where did she do that in relation to this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Can you not see the difference there? Not related to the mayor. 3rd link doesnt work either

I don't think you'll get a reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

RandRuns wrote: »
    Is "Shapeshifting Dragon" a race now?

Jaysus, it's getting harder and harder to keep up.

I thought it was shapeshifting lizards these people believed in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Royston Brady was some what infamous.

Our Man in Florida now. Ironically, reporting on protests and insurrection for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Invidious wrote: »

Perhaps, as part of her training/induction to the job of Mayor, the state paid for her to attend some of Dr. Josephs training courses on "maximizing personal benefits by creating a sense of perpetual victimhood"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement