Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Invidious wrote: »
    She doesn't have "kids" — she has one daughter, who was in a creche at the time.

What has that got to do with it? I doubt the protester knew or cared about where her child was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sounds more like conspiracy theorists than Nazis.

The Nazis were conspiracy theorists. That was their whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There are lots of reasons why ppl are v angry with the Lord Mayor. I just don’t think she should automatically label protest as abuse.

Even Claire burn said they were perfectly entitled to protest.

Protests have led to great social progress over the years. Elected politicians should remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Hazel is such a terrible communicator. She's had ten minutes uninterrupted to tell her story and I don't know what the issue is? She said if you come at her have a reason other than the colour of her skin yet didn't accuse the protestors or mention what they said something about the colour of her skin..... I'm not sure what is going on here but it's like there's bits from different era's of her life all thrown in together..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Invidious wrote: »
    She doesn't have "kids" — she has one daughter, who was in a creche at the time.

Moot point. Singular or Plural makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

so you agree that it's not protesting but is harassment, but only kinda harassment?

Most protests are designed to draw attention to a cause, usually through causing some sort of disruption. I would consider what happened to Chu to be very mild harassment, but nothing coming close to being illegal.
    We definitely agree on the orifices.

^^^^

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think there is a difference between legitimate protest and harassment/intimidation. The fact the gardai stepped shows this stepped over the line.

The Gardai didn't arrest anyone for harassment. They arrested someone for not wearing a face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why doesn't he Dublin Lord Mayor/Mansion house have security/gardai, they've been saying they'll protest her for weeks. Gardai dropped the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Your home is your sanctuary, so I agree no one should be protesting outside it.
    However as I’ve said before, people who try to put a racist spin on things that happen, when there is no racism there are just fuelling racism. We need to stop this screaming racism every time something happens to non white people unless their colour is specifically an issue. Hazel did not cover herself in glory with the Nchecko commentary, so there’s time for some self reflection and learning for her with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There are lots of reasons why ppl are v angry with the Lord Mayor. I just don’t think she should automatically label protest as abuse.

Protests have led to great social progress over the years. Elected politicians should remember that.

It's funny that she was a supporter of Paul Murphy's peaceful imprisonment of Joan Burton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

screamer wrote: »
    Your home is your sanctuary, so I agree no one should be protesting outside it.

Even if your home is the Mansion House, a publicly owned building?

What about the White House or 10 Downing Street ... should people be banned from protesting outside those homes as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You just know that if somebody actually asked these protestors what point they were trying to make about masks and why they had chosen the Mansion House, not a single coherent thought would you get in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

osarusan wrote: »
    You just know that if somebody actually asked these protestors what point they were trying to make about masks and why they had chosen the Mansion House, not a single coherent thought would you get in reply.

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Again protest is entirely legitimate but it should always be about the issue and never the person.

It is a problem for Irish society that there is so much targeting of politicians personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

GarIT wrote: »
    It's funny that she was a supporter of Paul Murphy's peaceful imprisoent of Joan Burton.

Ah here? Was she seriously?

She hasn’t a leg to stand on so.... gerrup the yard hazel and don’t be wasting everyone’s time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They would probably call you a paedo, that's their usual response to..... any question

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't know where you live my but my residences never had security fences and armed guards protecting them, just like the Mansion House doesn't either.
    its a public building

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

mariaalice wrote: »
    Again protest is entirely legitimate but it should always be about the issue and never the person.

It is a problem for Irish society that there is so much targeting of politicians personally.

That’s a consequence of a lack of responsibility though, frustrations boil over and public figures find protests outside their homes. We’re pretty bad at the old mass protests here though compared to our European neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

I'd guess you'd get about as much coherent thought as you'd have heard from water charges protesters or anti-austerity protesters when they were trapping Joan Burton inside her car or intimidating Simon Harris's wife and 3-week-old baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

They would probably call you a paedo, that's their usual response to..... any question

I'm sure they would all mutter something like "I'm not a racist but... them foreigners...
    my culture...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

why doesn't he Dublin Lord Mayor/Mansion house have security/gardai, they've been saying they'll protest her for weeks. Gardai dropped the ball.
    she accused the gardaí of murdering George nkencho. Doubt she really needs security.
    Did you listen to her interview with Claire Byrne?

Just as a note -

It's possible to dislike Hazel Chu, and also dislike her being harassed on her doorstep, same as what happened to Harris, same as what happened to Burton.

I like none of their professional views/motivations/attitudes/actions - but I respect them as humans. This mob of slack jawed racist fantasists don't respect anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just as a note -

It's possible to dislike Hazel Chu, and also dislike her being harassed on her doorstep, same as what happened to Harris, same as what happened to Burton.

I like none of their professional views/motivations/attitudes/actions - but I respect them as humans. This mob of slack jawed racist fantasists don't respect anyone.

Spot on..... I dont care for the commentary she spins in relation to the shooting, schools reopening, ..... protests outside her gaff is not on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The best kind of protest

Have a read of the constitution, freedom of assembly.
    The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms.

Provision may be made by law to prevent or control meetings which are determined in accordance with law to be calculated to cause a breach of the peace or to be a danger or nuisance to the general public and to prevent or control meetings in the vicinity of either House of the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Apart from the clear anxiety that it must cause in a family setting, it does raise interesting public debate.
    Whether tenant or homeowner, one is entitled to peaceful enjoyment of one's domestic domain. This same issue has occurred with various Ministers whose private homes were assaulted in this manner. There's no doubt that this will have to be carefully balanced whether through legislation or existing law through the courts.
    They are entitled to protest in a public place, they are entitled to protest at the official base of a public official. But where that is a home, with family units present? That's doubtful.
    I am 100% in agreement with protest at this Lord Mayor's bigmouthed inaccuracies but not outside a domestic environment.
    I can also see clearly that no-one ever saw fit to protest outside e.g. Royston Brady's Mansion House etc. But then, did they abuse their honorary role and criticise the police force of the people? No, they didn't. Ms Chu is learning that there are consequences to having a big mouth on Twitter. I'm not referring to Blanchardstown only, as that appears to have nothing to do with this breed of dragon hunters? But like all celebrities online, she has courted attention. She needs to learn from that too. It's just very unfortunate that it's not outside her official office, not a home. As I abhor any such actions outside anyone's home. It's thuggish and should be dealt with in a thuggish manner to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Just as a note -

I don't know these people or their motives so Im not attempting to defend them but in general, is it possible to have a protest against a non-white or female politician without being labelled a racist or misogynist ? US social wars being imported wont bring anything beneficial to our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Spot on..... I dont care for the commentary she spins in relation to the shooting, schools reopening, ..... protests outside her gaff is not on.

Agreed. The people who did this are absolute scum in my book and make me feel ashamed to be Irish

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I don't know these people or their motives so Im not attempting to defend them but in general, is it possible to have a protest against a non-white or female politician without being labelled a racist or misogynist ? US social wars being imported wont bring anything beneficial to our country.

It is possible of course, as long as the motivations aren't racist/misogynist...

But I think we all know - (and anyone who denies is being disingenuous imo) - that this 'protest' wasn't about masks.

Agreed. The people who did this are absolute scum in my book and make me feel ashamed to be Irish

Ha Jesus. Ashamed to be Irish because of some arseholes being arseholes?

Slightly hyperbolic don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So funny how no-one ever cared about the Dublin Mayor until it wasn't a white person.

Who is radicalising these lunatics?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement