Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I seriously cannot emphasise the significance of these two stratospheric events. Like look at the 1:00 chart for Saturday on the GFS 18z for the stratosphere. The Canadian Warming is still going on with no Polar Vortex in sight! Just as a reminder, the Canadian Warming had reached its peak Sunday-Monday last and since then has had a gradual drop off. Usually, these kinds of events go away after 2-3 days with the yellow, red colours etc but look here we are, nearly a week later and the stratosphere is still VERY warm. I'll repeat myself again, absolutely incredible!! :)

You'll get sick and tired of me saying the latter but really, this is extraordinary.

h4iVC4h.png
    SRyan.... I bow to your superior knowledge but can you translate for the meteorologically challenged like myself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Joanna also called it an extreme event.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

teddybones wrote: »
    Surely it'd be unlikely that the power would go out though? I don't even remember stories of power loss around here in heavy snows.

I am in Wicklow town and we lost power in 2010 for a few days with the snow and also lost our water. We had to get water from a stand pipe erected at the top of our estate by the council ( bless them, wonder will IW be so efficient ).

Love snow and really looking forward to this event with all my heart but if the electricity and water go again the novelty will soon wear off. On top of that my partner is jetting off to the canaries on monday with our daughter leaving me all alone and no one to slide down the extremely steep hill with! The local kids ran a hose down said hill which we live on during the beginning of the 2010 freeze ( before the mains froze) and it made for a super lethal but extraordinarily fast ice track! Hoping they will do it again. I have 2 ice tobogans now! Which we did habe then. A large baking tray did the trick.
    Also in my forties so remember fondly 1982. Lived further up the hills and had 8 ft drifts. 2010 was colder for longer but nothing has beaten 82 for sheer volume of thw white stuff. God am nearly teary eyed at the thoughts of what next week will bring.

Live about 70m asl facing north east overlooking the irish sea
    ... i have no words...[/quote]

Married man with kids left alone for a week while the country is snowed under - how lucky are you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I seriously cannot emphasise the significance of these two stratospheric events.

Obviously its something comparable to the second coming but for mere mortals such as myself what is the significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Joan Blackburn just on RTE radio radio saying it’s going to be bitterly cold and to look after your elderly neighbours and friends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes. It's amazing. Without it the high to the north east would have likely been eroded by the daughter vortex over the Hudson Bay. So we would not be facing snowmageddon next week.

As you say these are the charts strat experts drool over, and will likely scrutinise for years to come- this event will be the one all others are judged by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes. It's amazing. Without it the high to the north east would have likely been eroded by the daughter vortex over the Hudson Bay. So we would not be facing snowmageddon next week.

As you say these are the charts strat experts drool over, and will likely scrutinise for years to come- this event will be the one all others are judged by.
    Jesus Nacho.... That's pretty unreal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

VeVeX wrote: »
    Obviously its something comparable to the second coming but for mere mortals such as myself what is the significance?

Quite simply we would not have the beast from the east incoming without these two events occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

While I appreciate the incredible hardship this will cause the farmers of Ireland, this is wildly exciting for those of us who love alpine conditions.

I normally long for winter conditions on the hills/mountains of Ireland and back myself to handle anything. This is the first time im unsure about heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

what caused it nacho you reckon?

are we back to the old chestnut of `global warming`/`climate change`??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

Married man with kids left alone for a week while the country is snowed under - how lucky are you![/quote]

Married woman! My man is going off on holiday with our daughter. He has instructions to chop lots of wood before he goes. Dip the oil tank. Buy coal and get batteries for my headlamp! 😠i am gonna have so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

loughside wrote: »

It's hardly an 'old chestnut'....More like fact in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Speaking of which, is redsunset still around under a different username?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I seriously cannot emphasise the significance of these two stratospheric events. Like look at the 1:00 chart for Saturday on the GFS 18z for the stratosphere. The Canadian Warming is still going on with no Polar Vortex in sight! Just as a reminder, the Canadian Warming had reached its peak Sunday-Monday last and since then has had a gradual drop off. Usually, these kinds of events go away after 2-3 days with the yellow, red colours etc but look here we are, nearly a week later and the stratosphere is still VERY warm. I'll repeat myself again, absolutely incredible!! :)

You'll get sick and tired of me saying the latter but really, this is extraordinary.

h4iVC4h.png

So in summary that means what for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

So in summary that means what for Ireland?

In summary, the title of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This a 1947 Event in my books. Unbelievable Charts Runs etc.

The East Coast will be shutdown by Wednesday.

Most people I talked to today don't even think its going to snow. My entire family, boyfriend, friends and several work colleagues I said it too just kind of in passing (trying not to reveal my immense excitement ) but they were all basically like 'yeh not a chance.. those weather predictions are probably wrong..its nearly march'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I have been on what’s app telling a few groups that I am in to prepare for next week and have been universally ridiculed... ‘sure that won’t happen’ , ‘don’t be ridiculous it’s nearly March’, ‘sure it’s lovely out’ were a few of the responses .... fair enough so, don’t say I didn’t warn you, you will be bowing to my superior knowledge next week waa haa haa waa haa haa !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

wakka12 wrote: »
    Most people I talked to today don't even think its going to snow. My entire family, boyfriend, friends and several work colleagues I said it too just kind of in passing (trying not to reveal my immense excitement ) but they were all basically like 'yeh not a chance.. those weather predictions are probably wrong..its nearly march'

Well you should remind them of the phrase, it's more likely to snow at Easter than it is at Christmas.

P.S. I will try to reply when I can to PMs and more very nice comments (thanks again :), much appreciated). It's comments like them that motivate me to keep doing what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Saganist wrote: »
    It's hardly an 'old chestnut'....More like fact in my opinion.
    loughside wrote: »

Please :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Informative thread, thanks!

Is there a likelihood of power outages in affected areas?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

For those of you who are posting about the Jan 1982 snowfall. As far as I remember that was mainly a Leinster event. Certainly as far as Cork is concerned I don't remember there being more than a few hours of significant snowfall at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I told a friend back in the first week of February that a cold end to the month and into March was likely given what was going on in the polar region, the SSW. He said to me this week, that I had predicted this two weeks ago. Dare I say I was happy he remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For those of you who are posting about the Jan 1982 snowfall. As far as I remember that was mainly a Leinster event. Certainly as far as Cork is concerned I don't remember there being more than a few hours of significant snowfall at that time.

Here's my historical post or article on the January 1982 event if you'd like to take a read about it and look at videos.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105903155&postcount=217

teddybones wrote: »
    Married man with kids left alone for a week while the country is snowed under - how lucky are you!

Married woman! My man is going off on holiday with our daughter. He has instructions to chop lots of wood before he goes. Dip the oil tank. Buy coal and get batteries for my headlamp! 😠i am gonna have so much fun.[/quote]

The quoting seems to be a bit screwed up, but if you're bored and want to go on a life threatening ride down a very steep hill on bin liner then hit me up...next week hopefully!
    And apologies for thinking you were a man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if its a red warming , i wonder what the advice to companies will be this time around?

irishgeo wrote: »
    if its a red warming , i wonder what the advice to companies will be this time around?

Hopefully stay at home but we'll still pay you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

CardinalJ wrote: »
    While I appreciate the incredible hardship this will cause the farmers of Ireland, this is wildly exciting for those of us who love alpine conditions.

I normally long for winter conditions on the hills/mountains of Ireland and back myself to handle anything. This is the first time im unsure about heading out.

I'll have a rescue crew warmed up.

Just in case you head out into the weather warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fritzelly wrote: »

I doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

irishgeo wrote: »

If I can't safely get to work, they'll be told I won't be there. If I feel like I need to leave early to get home safely, same thing.

A manager laughed in my face in front of other staff when I told him I'd be leaving early during Ophelia. If I hadn't only been there a couple of weeks at the time I would have made a complaint. Then the CEO mailed us all 30 minutes later directing us to leave for our own safety. You should have seen the smile on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »

Its unfeasible for a company to pay up to hundreds employees a full days salary and receive no output in return

I would say just being completely okay with people not arriving to work is best you could hope for, but certainly not being paid for being cosy at home watching it snow !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement