Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities: Skylines

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I watched a stream lastnight and couldnt take my eyes off it for 90 minutes until real life was having a hissy fit.
    The stuff you can do is endless,it really does look great.
    Paradox must have been rubbing their hands when they say the fcuk up maxis did with sim city or i mean sim village.and saw the sheer volume of disgruntled gamers aching for a good city sim.

PC Gamer giving it 86/100 in their review.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Dcully wrote: »
    I watched a stream lastnight and couldnt take my eyes off it for 90 minutes until real life was having a hissy fit.

I had to give up watching streams. I always ended up really frustrated and annoyed becasue they were always doing everything WRONG !!! :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

What time will this be available, lads? I just pre-purchased it there. I haven't pre-bought a game before so I'm not sure how this works.

Can the game be downloaded first and unlocked once it's released? Sorry for my stupid nativity here :o This isn't something I've thought of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What time will this be available, lads? I just pre-purchased it there. I haven't pre-bought a game before so I'm not sure how this works.

Can the game be downloaded first and unlocked once it's released? Sorry for my stupid nativity here :o This isn't something I've thought of doing.

Its gonna become available at 5pm Irish time, sometimes you are able to pre-load games to some extent but it wont be possible for this so around 5 pm if you refresh your Steam games page there should suddenly appear a button on it to install it. Its about 3gb download which isn't too large compared to many other recent games but the time it takes will depend on your connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Since when is 7pm CET = 5pm Irish time?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Since when is 7pm CET = 5pm Irish time?

Damn your right got confused by Korvanica saying it was 6 CET

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

VinLieger wrote: »
    Damn your right got confused by Korvanica saying it was 6 CET

Damn you to hell :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

One of the devs yesterday said it was 6 CET. Must have changed :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Installing \o/

Downloading has commenced. 1.6GB

I just had a quick look at a gameplay video courtesy of IGN. I heard him say IGN are giving the game a score of ~8/10, which is pretty f###ing good! Really excited for this

• Advertisement

Installed and rearing too go.

Game is Live apparently get building!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

First thing I tried to do was change the roads to LHD. Can't find the option for it! Anyone know how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Julez wrote: »
    About €15 on Nuuvem.

I'll just quote this again lads, I got mine on Nuuvem, playing now, no VPN needed or anything of the sort as someone suggested earlier.

Morpork wrote: »
    First thing I tried to do was change the roads to LHD. Can't find the option for it! Anyone know how to do it?

Assuming that acronym is "left hand drive" (I'm horrible for learning abbreviations/acronyms, ignore me) but it's there when you go into the level select screen, there's a little check box under the image for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just got caught out trying to build a motorway, it only builds one carriageway at a time! Nightmare

Assuming that acronym is "left hand drive" (I'm horrible for learning abbreviations/acronyms, ignore me) but it's there when you go into the level select screen, there's a little check box under the image for it.

Hehe good job! ;)
    Ah, so I'm starting my city again so!
    Thanks!

After a while, people in my city end up feeling sick and I don't even know what's causing it. I have a water drain pipe so it can't be from dirty water, I have two pumping stations as well and I have like 5 medical centers. People still keeping dying of sickness.

Anybody figure out how to maintain that?

Looks like traffic management is the key to the game again, although nowhere near as annoying as in Simcity. My first city isn't too good at delivering goods or removing dead bodies, which is a pain in the ass. Also, somewhat difficult to build loads of commercial, because even high density office blocks only seem to employ like 15 people.

Has anyone managed to get traffic management overlays? Or do we actually have to see the traffic to tell how bad it is?

OSI wrote: »
    You made sure the pumping stations are upstream from the sewer pipe?

Well done me. I'm so stupid lol

No, I did not follow through with that obvious idea. Thanks :o Okay so say I do that anyway, how do I get that connected to my pipeline without causing mental pollution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

errlloyd wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get traffic management overlays? Or do we actually have to see the traffic to tell how bad it is?

The drop down menu in the top left has a traffic tab which colour codes roads according to traffic density, if that's what you mean.
    Well done me. I'm so stupid lol

No, I did not follow through with that obvious idea. Thanks Okay so say I do that anyway, how do I get that connected to my pipeline without causing mental pollution?

The underground pipes automatically keep water and sewage separate, so you don't need to worry as long as the drain is downstream from the pump. Just connect them up.

The underground pipes automatically keep water and sewage separate, so you don't need to worry as long as the drain is downstream from the pump. Just connect them up.

Okay, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Got to play for only about an hour today and already restarted 4 times because I was testing how different features worked (as the hints isn't great). And I was looking forward to restarting each time. As everyone is saying, it really is the SimCity people wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Played a few hours tonight. Took it slow. Was at about 7k when my growth started declining. But demand was strong. Seem to have to build out before you go up.

The best thing is the size. you have room to do what you want.

Haven't really come across any problems in the simulation itself but it's early days.

Only gripe I have is the variety of buildings seems fairly limited. My industrial areas are all the same. Shouldn't be too much of a problem with the work shop though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tried to do a bit of modding for this but the API is... minimal at the moment. You can only do boring stuff. :pac:

Played a good few hours now, got a city up to 40k, experimenting with different road and mass transit layouts in different areas. Its an exact copy of Simcity without the stupid bits.

I'm finding the tough if I'm honest, can someone look at the below pictures and tell me why I'm not receiving power to some of the buildings?

2015-03-11_00002_zpsju9je0ks.jpg

2015-03-11_00001_zps3c1ukpmc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

loving the game so far
    got up to about 8k pop but going to restart tomorrow properly just wanted to test the waters :P

only thing I am annoyed about is
    lets say I build up an zone of industrial, all the buildings made, all 2 way roads going in and round and out,
    later on in game, when traffic builds up , I can't build a 4 way lane or a 6 way lane over them roads, I have to delete them all one by one, and then build the roads, theirfore recreating the whole zone again which is awkward if you already have the surrounding area used
    unless theirs a way around this :/
    but other then that
    its everything sim ****y should of been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm finding the tough if I'm honest, can someone look at the below pictures and tell me why I'm not receiving power to some of the buildings?

in you're pictures, it says electricity consumption 20mw
    production is 15mw

you need to build more wind turbines/ or what ever other means you're using to get electricity :) try build as many as you can, keep it in the green area
    cause when you start expanding, you're consumption will go through the roof :P also put the wind turbines in an area were their is most wind ( indicated by a dark blue I think )

• Advertisement

Sephiroth, the reason they're not receiving power is because your power consumption is greater than the production. 20MW/15MW. You need more power sources.

The other thing is, you don't need all those power lines. Power is connected through buildings. So once you have your blue areas connected with power lines and connected to a power source you're fine. It's possible to power an entire city without a single power line. Just have a building close to the power source and no breaks in buildings (blue area).

The picture at the bottom left of your second screenshot explains it better.

Advertisement