Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities: Skylines

167891012»

Comments

Early mistakes were triggering death waves by zoning too much at the same time, young people moving at the same time, aging together and then dying together.

Another time I left it running to build up some cash didn't notice that a forest fire burnt down the power line to my hydroelectric dam - my population collapsed and I ended up in huge debt - proper Detroit.

Another fun one was my dam flooding parts of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I only found about the death wave the other day! Cant believe that has happened, but makes sense.

Really enjoying the industries DLC

New expansion:

Not a whole in that trailer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fed up with DLC at this stage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭coffey87

Would you recommend this game ahead of the latest Sim City? Have Sim City, thought it was quite good, but willing to try this if its a step up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

coffey87 wrote: »
    Would you recommend this game ahead of the latest Sim City? Have Sim City, thought it was quite good, but willing to try this if its a step up

It's miles better. It's one of the best sim games I've ever played

I know oil runs out but I reckon it runs out fair too quickly in the game, same with ore tbh. I might have to try one of the mods with unlimited ore etc as the industries that produce products from it are always looking for raw materials.

Fed up with DLC at this stage tbh

I can see why you'd say that, they seem to be milking it a bit.

But I like that they're still supporting the game, even if the DLC may not be expanding it that much. Personally, I've skipped the last few DLC, even refunded the Parks one. I'll wait until they're on a deep sale.

coffey87 wrote: »
    It's miles better. It's one of the best sim games I've ever played

Has anyone tried Frostpunk? I'm interested in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Frostpunk was good but has a short per-game lifespan and I've not found that much replayability in it. Anno 1800 on the other hand, awful dialogue (which you can mute) notwithstanding, has been pretty fantastic thus far... the girlfriend and I have put up maybe 50hrs combined in the last month.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but the perfect opportunity to pick up some DLC

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/1148161824044584960?s=20

Back to school sale - just in case your missing any DLC

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/1166985102074818560?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where is the cheapest place to pick this up for PC? I have been playing the Xbox version on my PC for the past few months and liking it but it's now coming off gamepass so I'll have to buy a copy. I would be after the mass-transit DLC also, any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Considering it's only €27.99 on Steam, you're not gonna find it much cheaper than that, unless you go to G2A, which is a questionable site in and of itself, but then again, it can be bought for under a tenner on that but you wouldn't be supporting the developer/publisher if you bought it there.

I think 27.99 is a fairly good price considering its size. You can get the Deluxe Edition for about 36.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

With the new DLC release, the base game will most likely go on sale on Steam, along with the other existing DLC. If you're looking to buy it, it's definitely worth holding off until a sale.

Incidentally, it's worth treating it as a rule to only buy something on Steam when it's on sale (as they're so regular).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Conchir wrote: »
    With the new DLC release, the base game will most likely go on sale on Steam, along with the other existing DLC. If you're looking to buy it, it's definitely worth holding off until a sale.

Incidentally, it's worth treating it as a rule to only buy something on Steam when it's on sale (as they're so regular).

And that sale has arrived; the base game is 80% off on Steam right now, €5.59. Most DLC is 25-50% off.

Anyone get the new DLC yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone get the new DLC yet?

I'll get it once I finish Doom Eternal..

• Advertisement

Apparently they've improved the gameplay and it isnt as laggy anymore. Probably get it today and play it over the weekend. Mass Transit 2 :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Is the DLC pretty essential to the base game for a good/great Cities experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

some of it is....

certain mods are essential to for traffic management as an example, at least when i was actively playing it.

essential imo:

Masst transit
    Natural Disasters
    After dark
    Green Cities (debatable)

others add more depth and micro management but been honest i stop buying after green cities.

Thanks for sharing that - I would have missed it otherwise and fancied that DLC, but not enough to pay for it.

I am bemused that when making your details public on steam you can hide hours played - I don't want to know this let alone show it to others.

• Advertisement

Park life is a really good addition to the game.

Got the DLC last night.

I will give it a go at the weekend if I get a chance.

Have only used the fishing part of it which is really cool to see all the boats in the harbour. pretty good that you can go beyond the owned cells too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Handy tip with park life. Use the parks as your main connection between districts. For example (see pic below), I have an entertainment area with all the public transport links outside it, to enter the area Cims have to enter a park which takes them over a bridge through the park and into the district. With one of the mods I use I've disabled the pedestrian crossings at the roundabout, the result...

510820.jpg

Find all the dlcs a complete rip off compared to the main game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

Handy tip with park life. Use the parks as your main connection between districts. For example (see pic below), I have an entertainment area with all the public transport links outside it, to enter the area Cims have to enter a park which takes them over a bridge through the park and into the district. With one of the mods I use I've disabled the pedestrian crossings at the roundabout, the result...

LoL, I do that too, great income.

Also you don't need to use a railing, they won't cross the grass and use the gate (and pay) :-)

Have it now too, haven't had much of a play around - apart from the detailed designing of the the various park types - what else is new? I see hot air balloons and tour busses anything else?

I saw something about being able to build beside paths but this seems to be only for the park-specific buildings within park districts? Also I thought I saw something about making use of dead space around buildings but don't see anything in game?

Definitely they do, but adding a load of DLC's at once gets a bit messy, easier to add one at a time and get up to speed with using each. I did that for a few and then added a few together when they were on sale and buggered up my city a bit. Still looks good value though.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can you use the expansion features on existing cities? Or do you have to start a new city with expansion features enabled?

awec wrote: »
    Can you use the expansion features on existing cities? Or do you have to start a new city with expansion features enabled?

Yes they work on existing cities - if you have any add-ons they might not be compatible with the expansions though is the only reason a city would become messed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I haven't played in a few years. Back in the day you needed quite lot of mods to do things like precision engineering, land terraforming, and traffic management.

Do the expansions contain those features.

Managing mods got really annoying....

Yes they work on existing cities - if you have any add-ons they might not be compatible with the expansions though is the only reason a city would become messed up

Yes, I should clarify that it was not the multiple DLC's that messed things up it was me using them all at once and not progressing through the new transport, Campus options etc.

Regarding mods, they are all still available and I use quite a few, but you can get along without any if you want.

Mods are essential though to run the city etc and some are like cheats like the terraforming etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement