Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

There are some who have argued with me about course length based on their watch. We measured our course a load of times to get it right, with proper equipment and all, but still some will say "it's short". No, it's probably the forest you run through twice, or that massive corner I saw you cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The problem with a course measuring short is that if you do PB it won't show up on your garmin records which is a little bit annoying but a little first world problem.

It is nice to have a record of your pbs as not all online results remain.

Edit. The parkruns do show online results of course but other races might not. Not really an issue with parkruns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭positron

Oldbridge parkrun always comes up as 4.6 to 4.7km in my phone. I am not surprised, we don't have access to military grade GPS. Perhaps it should have been called GAPS (Global Approximate Positioning System). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

positron wrote: »
    Oldbridge parkrun always comes up as 4.6 to 4.7km in my phone. I am not surprised, we don't have access to military grade GPS. Perhaps it should have been called GAPS (Global Approximate Positioning System). ;)

You need to buy a Garmyn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Loonie

Is there any hope of a Junior Parkrun in south Dublin? I've been doing Marlay (slowly) for a while now and I've heard great things about the Junior run in Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Loonie wrote: »
    Is there any hope of a Junior Parkrun in south Dublin? I've been doing Marlay (slowly) for a while now and I've heard great things about the Junior run in Rush.

These only happen when locals organise them, if you're in a position to do that why not contact parkrun Ireland directly? I'd imagine a southside one would be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

Loonie wrote: »
    There will be a junior parkrun in south Dublin as soon as some one comes forward and sets it up.

The problem with a course measuring short is that if you do PB it won't show up on your garmin records which is a little bit annoying but a little first world problem.

It is nice to have a record of your pbs as not all online results remain.

Edit. The parkruns do show online results of course but other races might not. Not really an issue with parkruns.
    How is a record not showing in Garmin an issue? You know yourself what your PB is. Surely, that's enough?

edisonolmy wrote: »
    How is a record not showing in Garmin an issue? You know yourself what your PB is. Surely, that's enough?

I have the opposite problem. My Garmin records show my 10k pb as 38:40, when I know it is actually 39:52. I remember the race well, the Garmin timed out and I couldn't reset in time for the start.

davedanon wrote: »

I have the opposite problem. My Garmin records show my 10k pb as 38:40, when I know it is actually 39:52. I remember the race well, the Garmin timed out and I couldn't reset in time for the start.
    I pay no attention to Garmin records in terms of PBs.

I ran a 5k PB last year in Carlingford and my Garmin was all over the place. I lost the signal right at the start so I just hammered it, when the signal was found it suggested I was on pace for 4:20 for the first K, but I went through the K marker in 3:30. So, I ignored the watch for the rest of the race.

When I uploaded the data onto Garmin Connect, it showed me as apparently having run across the water on Carlingford Lough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

When I uploaded the data onto Garmin Connect, it showed me as apparently having run across the water on Carlingford Lough.

Jesus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have no idea actually. I know my 5k pb but other distances I could estimate but wouldn't get it exactly right. I would guess the serious runner would know all their pbs pretty well whereas the casual runner may not.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would have no idea actually. I know my 5k pb but other distances I could estimate but wouldn't get it exactly right. I would guess the serious runner would know all their pbs pretty well whereas the casual runner may not.

I'd have to disagree with that! As a casual runner I know all my pbs, to the second! They were hard earned :) (also I keep all my race numbers & write the times & weather conditions on them)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Firedance wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that! As a casual runner I know all my pbs, to the second! They were hard earned :) (also I keep all my race numbers & write the times & weather conditions on them)

Maybe you are more serious than you think :)

I can rhyme off all my 5 and 10k top times to the second, tell you where they happened, what I did right, what I did wrong, and what the weather was like. I struggle to remember my half marathon PB but am always within a few seconds of it when asked (which is rarely)

Maybe you are more serious than you think :)

Ha ha maybe, I'm rubbish though, is that the same as casual?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I has a sad. Sore knee and ankle on my right leg. Nothing when actually running though. Going to get an ortho insert and see if that helps.

:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

My club are doing a relay from Dublin to Passage east on Sat. My leg is Dungarvan village and according to google maps its a 16 min drive from the Kilkenny parkrun to the meeting point. It will be a great little warm up for my leg.

As time will be tight enough where would the best place to park...? I need to be in Dungarvan village about 10:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're going to drive from Kilkenny (city) to Dungarvan in 16 minutes? :confused:

Can I get a grandstand seat?

Edit: There's a Dungarvan in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Dub13 wrote: »
    My club are doing a relay from Dublin to Passage east on Sat. My leg is Dungarvan village and according to google maps its a 16 min drive from the Kilkenny parkrun to the meeting point. It will be a great little warm up for my leg.

As time will be tight enough where would the best place to park...? I need to be in Dungarvan village about 10:30.

The KK park run meets just inside Switzers gate of the Castle park.
    You can park opposite in Nuncio Road and you won't be more than
    a minute or 2 away. If you're out of the park by 10 which I'd
    say you will then you'll have no problem getting to Dungarvan for 10.30.
    You can head out the Dublin road to Gowran and from there to Dungarvan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

gramar wrote:
    The KK park run meets just inside Switzers gate of the Castle park. You can park opposite in Nuncio Road and you won't be more than a minute or 2 away. If you're out of the park by 10 which I'd say you will then you'll have no problem getting to Dungarvan for 10.30. You can head out the Dublin road to Gowran and from there to Dungarvan.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to doing my first parkrun outside Dublin.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, looking forward to doing my first parkrun outside Dublin.

Enjoy it. There's a lovely hill in the KK parkrun, but they only let you run up it 3 times! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Doing my first buggy Parkrun in the morning. Should be fun :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

New buggy PB for me this morning getting a sub 19. :D

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    New buggy PB for me this morning getting a sub 19. :D

Fair play! As one who occasionally runs with a buggy, that's serious going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bloody hell thats a tad depressing. I'm what I currently call a w'ogger in that I attempt to jog, but doing it with the buggy ads about 3 minutes a km to my normal time....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The right course and the number of other speedy runners at the course makes a massive difference for buggy times. Have now found a pretty flat out and back course that not too many super fast guys run yet so I can outrun the majority of the leaders to the first corner so can get away with starting at the front, once past that point then things are already spread out enough that we can all get around each other easily. A tail wind for the return leg of the out and back certainly helps as well. You definitely need to know the course and runner standards before starting anywhere other than the back with the buggy though.

Well done, Robin. How much time does the buggy add?

Not totally certain at the moment as it's been a while sinceI parkran buggy free in anger. PB from a couple of years ago on a different course of 17:11, but I'm sure that I'm not on that form currently. Think it would only be just over a minute quicker without the buggy on that course, would be a much bigger deficit elsewhere though.

• Advertisement

Probably about 5 minutes for me, but I'm slow anyway. I'd get around in 27 ish on my own but Highbury Fields took me 31:48 today. Aiming to get that to sub 30 with the buggy sooner rather than later though.

Anyhoo, my parkrun story involves getting a Tymon pb today. 8 seconds off the old mark. Not bad considering my goal race is next weekend's Berlin marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Didn't run yesterday as was not mentally prepared, it's been a a long week! But dear god, those times with the buggies have kicked the mental laziness and will definitely be back next week! Have decided I'll get to 10 runs and then I'll volunteer

Congrats on the times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For those with buggies what the hell do you do if the kid starts screaming their head off or decides to do a number 2!
    I can see how Robin got the pb now!

For those with buggies what the hell do you do if the kid starts screaming their head off or decides to do a number 2!

Have her well used to it now and she just tends to fall asleep, or if awake she'll clap the other runners. When just outside normally and a runner goes past they always get clapped.

Only needed to stop for giving a bottle once on the first buggy parkrun.

Remove baby from buggy, wrestle boob out of sports bra, apply baby to boob :pac:

He's more likely to just go asleep though thankfully but that will probably change as he gets older. I do throw a basic changing kit in the basket too should it be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Just to add some colour on time a buggy might add... I run with a double buggy. On the old St Anne's parkrun course, my double buggy pb was 18:55, my pb on that course was 17:09 without, and 16:58 otherwise.

I ran the new St Anne's course with double buggy yesterday and was 19:4x I think, albeit that was after 6 miles done prior. I ran it two weeks ago with no double buggy and was 18:06 or thereabouts and ran a 5k on Tuesday night this week in 16:54.

Depends on how big the passengers are and the nature of the course but I reckon 1:45-2 mins in my case.

Number 2... sure they smell no worse than many runners :)

Screaming head off... I have some snacks on hand for that!

It has never happened. He is more interested in looking at the other runners as we pass them and then fall asleep.

From my experience the buggy adds between 5-10% to my time. Type of buggy is a huge consideration though. With a general non running buggy you need to take it very easy as they flip without too much encouragement should you hit a divet or a stone.

From my experience the buggy adds between 5-10% to my time. Type of buggy is a huge consideration though.

And the terrain - I can't imagine many buggies on Oldbridge with it's complete grass / cross-country route. And probably the same at Ardgillan too.

• Advertisement

And the terrain - I can't imagine many buggies on Oldbridge with it's complete grass / cross-country route. And probably the same at Ardgillan too.

That is true. I have only done Annes and Collins with the buggy which are all tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looking at the list of events and theres none in any of Tipperary yet.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looking at the list of events and theres none in any of Tipperary yet.

Opportunity there for you to set one up so! Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Killerz wrote: »
    Opportunity there for you to set one up so! Go for it!

I live a bit away from there, just an observation. There is actually only one in Waterford which is a distance from me but I cant think of a suitable place to have one. I do know a place but theres very limited car parking there.

Not sure what happened at Oldbridge Parkrun yesterday, 50 of the 88 runners are coming up as Unknown, including myself. Unlucky for me, I didn't check the token to see what place I came at, and didn't time to run myself either.

Sure, it wasn't a great run anyway - most of my run was trying to will with every last ounce of my being to stay as far ahead as possible of a pair of girls who were chatting non-stop.. absolutely non-stop... here I am trying to drag what feels like sacks potatoes dipped in molasses one in front of the other... and at around 4k mark they overtook me and disappeared towards the finish line.. So yeah, probably not a bad thing that my run wasn't recorded... Or may be I should buy a Gaaaarmin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Not sure what happened at Oldbridge Parkrun yesterday, 50 of the 88 runners are coming up as Unknown, including myself. Unlucky for me, I didn't check the token to see what place I came at, and didn't time to run myself either.

Sure, it wasn't a great run anyway - most of my run was trying to will with every last ounce of my being to stay as far ahead as possible of a pair of girls who were chatting non-stop.. absolutely non-stop... here I am trying to drag what feels like sacks potatoes dipped in molasses one in front of the other... and at around 4k mark they overtook me and disappeared towards the finish line.. So yeah, probably not a bad thing that my run wasn't recorded... Or may be I should buy a Gaaaarmin..

A person scanning who didn't like being told she was wrong when she told me the token should be scanned first. I tried telling her but she didn't want to know. I kept telling her 'runner first, token second' I had to rush off in a hurry so I couldn't stop her or tell someone else!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Loonie

Firedance wrote: »
    These only happen when locals organise them, if you're in a position to do that why not contact parkrun Ireland directly? I'd imagine a southside one would be very popular.

I've been thinking about this ever since, and I'd LOVE to organise a Junior run. But I really don't think I'm in that position right now. But if something changes... Or if anyone else is thinking about it too, I'd happily help :)

jamule wrote: »
    A person scanning who didn't like being told she was wrong when she told me the token should be scanned first. I tried telling her but she didn't want to know. I kept telling her 'runner first, token second' I had to rush off in a hurry so I couldn't stop her or tell someone else!!!!

I would think it doesn't matter as long as you are consistant from the start.
    Although I may be wrong.

Strange thing last week, Was marshalling at a right hand turn (for the runners) and one guy left the group and ran straight towards me rather than follow the guys that were ahead of him. Assuming he wasn't part of the parkrun I moved aside and let him past. On the second lap he asked me was it a right turn. Felt bad as I checked later and it was his first parkrun and he now has a pb that he is unlikely to beat anytime soon (having cut a kilometre off his run):(

jamule wrote: »

I think that is fixable with some rearrangeing things in Excel. Main reason for runner first then position is it's easier to eliminate the runners with no barcodes and minimise the number of times the order of the scans get messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Everything is probably fixable if you have the raw data & the time/will I imagine :)

I was handing out finish tokens on Sat and anytime someone told me they had no barcode (as in not registered) I dropped the token into a little bag instead to avoid sending them to the scanners.

Pic below is our finish line as the normal gear ended up locked in a container so one of the group improvised!

2drc1td.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement