Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 14:12   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
Good to know these things, the masterclass of 'showing' has gone over my head. But, well done you, keep it up.
Not the first time something has gone over your head and it certainly won't be the last.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 14:13   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
It's got to be perifect.
You just love my name capall.
09-03-2019, 14:15   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
Not the first time something has gone over your head and it certainly won't be the last.
I like loads of things going over my head, bridges and aeroplanes being two.
09-03-2019, 14:16   #274
citytillidie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.
There is no Catholic club in Liverpool, both started by the same Methodist people.

Everton also have an Anglican Church in their ground so no idea where this catholic thing has come from
09-03-2019, 14:17   #275

Quote:
I like loads of things going over my head, bridges and aeroplanes being two.
The point and your dignity being others.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 14:18   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by citytillidie View Post
There is no Catholic club in Liverpool, both started by the same Methodist people.

Everton also have an Anglican Church in their ground so no idea where this catholic thing has come from
City till I die. Derry city? Cork city? Galway city?
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 14:21   #277

Quote:
The point and your dignity being others.
Not sure you get the whole metaphor thing, but you know what you're taking about and shur that's the main thing.
09-03-2019, 14:24   #278
relax carry on

Jesus, I'll never get the obsession with this narrow view of the world we live in. You were born/live in Ireland therefore you must support all things Irish over all else. Support Irish soccer teams over English etc.

Who cares. If you are genuinely into the sport, then support which ever team you want. Support a team from Kazakhstan if you want. Ireland is not the world, enjoy all aspects of it that make you happy.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 14:24   #279
ThomasFlynn

Hoards of plastics in England too, not just Ireland.

I was born in South Oxfordshire (left after my 1st birthday) moved London (left at 6) moved to Ipswich (left at 14), Moved to Omagh.

I'm a Man Utd fan. I have no connection to Manchester or to the north of England.

Not sure why Irish people are giving themselves a hard time over non local support? Loads of English people don't even support their local team.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 14:24   #280

Quote:
Well, seeing as he's clearly a Liverpool fan I'm guessing that's more a reference to urban rather than rural dwelling.
09-03-2019, 14:25   #281
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Why just pick one team out of a foreign country? There are hundreds of countries and thousands of teams, why pick one out if you just like watching soccer?
Because if someone has spent years watching a team, then they are more likely to continue following that team but also watching other teams.
09-03-2019, 14:27   #282
citytillidie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
I don't need a link I live there-btw,I think it's a good thing that there is a healthy interest in the EPL-I'm on twitter and follow Everton supporters clubs in Ireland,NI and the US.
I think the Catholic/Protestant thing in Liverpool has gradually died out since the 70's,but traditionally it existed-Everton were originally called St Domingo FC.
St. Domingo was a Methodist Chapel so again nothing to do with being Catholic
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 14:32   #283
RobMc59

I'm English and don't have any problem with foreign fans following English teams.,although Irish fans aren't regarded as foreign.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 14:33   #284
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Have you a source for this or is it your own opinion? Practically all of the people I know who like the sport have been to live games of all descriptions.

Local league, LOI, Premier League, International, even some La Liga or other European league matches.

They just like football, and yeah they'd support English clubs primarily but there's nothing wrong with that imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboKlopp View Post
That's great, and nobody should knock you for it.

Same should go the other way. It wouldn't bother me who you support, nor should it.
It bothers me an awful lot, because I love football and I love my country. I love our little league and I desperately want it to grow to be able to compete with others.

To think what could have been with our league ...If people had continue to follow it in their droves the way they adopted Scottish and English teams we could easily be on the same level of at least Scottish football.

We had 30-40k weekly attendances at matches in the early days, we'd top players, top facilities. We'd have a good go in European cup.

But emigration and the influx of radio and TV coverage killed it with support shifting to England and Scotland on the back of successful United and Celtic teams of the 50s/60s.

I dream of us having a support like the SPL, having teams reguarly compete in Europe be it EL or CL but without support, without bums on seats that will never be achievable.

Quote:
Phew, for a second there I thought you were talking about the likes of me. 29 years and after 2018/2019 probably still counting.

And when did you become a SR fan? They were very successful during my formative years, thinking not bloody Rovers again!
Mid 90s when I began to go to games aged 5/6. Id a wait of 15 years before we had a permanent home and see us lift some silverware for the first time!
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 14:33   #285
citytillidie

Quote:
Derry City, go to Derry games and follow Liverpool not hard when Derry games are on a Friday night, some times I manages to go to 2 games in the one weekend

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion