Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

many moons ago, thankfully rte2 show regular live & highlight LOI programmes to show people things haven't improved much

*btw - there's no need to quote a reply thats just above

So if you watched RTEs highlights, You will have seen a free kick by Sligo every bit as good as Messi V Liverpool last week (not saying standards anywhere near)

BTW Dundalk qualify for Group stages of Europa Leauge something Burnley, West Ham etc (Prem league teams) have all failed to do the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can't follow two teams in the same league\pyramid that's just cheating, besides what happens if they meet?

You find out which one you really follow:D

Personally I'm a huge Liverpool and Barca fan. Champions league has thought me (Previously and confirmed quite miraculously only last night) that I'd happily push Messi under a bus for the pool to get the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You find out which one you really follow:D

Personally I'm a huge Liverpool and Barca fan. Champions league has thought me (Previously and confirmed quite miraculously only last night) that I'd happily push Messi under a bus for the pool to get the win!

Very true. Have had this myself in the CL in past years. You quickly find out your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

LIVERPOOL ARE AMAZING...

UP THE REDS.

OOPS, SORRY, they're an English team :(

No they're not. They're owned by Americans, managed by a German and their current first team squad of 28 players has representatives from 15 different countries, if by country you mean an entity that is entitled by FIFA or UEFA to compete in international competition. Only about a third of the squad is English.

Countries represented in Liverpool's squad are: England, Scotland, Wales, Rep of Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Brazil, Egypt, Cameroon, Senegal and Guinea,

English, my arse. They're a multinational globalised brand name for hire.

Just like everybody else in the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It’s easy. You’re five or six years old and you see a team you like on telly. Usually comes with a player you like. Then in school you find out others like the same team. And others again hate your team. Bingo. A lifelong friendship just started.

There is nothing more to it than that. Doesn’t have to be. What’s the problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

No they're not. They're owned by Americans, managed by a German and their current first team squad of 28 players has representatives from 15 different countries, if by country you mean an entity that is entitled by FIFA or UEFA to compete in international competition. Only about a third of the squad is English.

Countries represented in Liverpool's squad are: England, Scotland, Wales, Rep of Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Brazil, Egypt, Cameroon, Senegal and Guinea,

So the Irish Rugby team aren't fully Irish then either.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

D14Rugby wrote: »
    And that's sad in a way. When you support a team because they're successful you're not getting the full experience that a fan should.

Its not sad, its what's normal and expected. If your team was always rubbish and are still rubbish and your not getting any joy from your football team then your a fool for supporting them, some success is required for you to actually start caring in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Greyfox wrote: »
    Its not sad, its what's normal and expected. If your team was always rubbish and are still rubbish and your not getting any joy from your football team then your a fool for supporting them, some success is required for you to actually start caring in the first place.

What about any team outside the top 6 or the hundreds of other middling teams or teams battling relagation?

Liverpool last night were great. We came back from 3 - 0 down to reach the final.

I must pay that city a visit some day, supposed to be nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tomw86 wrote: »

FancyGiganticLaughingthrush-small.gif

Not with all those orange order merchants for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Scouse not English as a mate of mine says.

What's that I said, As the camera cut to a massive Union Jack with the Liverpool emblem emblazoned across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

What about any team outside the top 6 or the hundreds of other middling teams or teams battling relagation?

If its enjoyable to watch them play support them, your allowed support any team you want to as long as its enjoyable but once you pick a team you cant ever change to a rival team. Im a Man Utd fan and have to admit last night is the perfect example of why Irish people support English football instead of LOI football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If you actually read my posts you'd see I said it's sad that that's considered normal and that's how football has gone for the most part, because that's not why football was started. Just because your team is rubbish doesn't necessarily mean you don't get joy from supporting them. And what's considered rubbish, is it the style of football, lack of trophies won, there are tonnes of factors as to how football is entertaining and if it ever gets to the point where only winning trophies matters we should just pack it all in now

If its enjoyable to watch them play support them, your allowed support any team you want to as long as its enjoyable but once you pick a team you cant ever change to a rival team. Im a Man Utd fan and have to admit last night is the perfect example of why Irish people support English football instead of LOI football.

How is it the perfect example? You didn't need to support Liverpool to enjoy that match on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I can see where you're coming from but in my view they are 2 separate things. I still watch both. Obviously one is the top of football, the other isn't.
    Still support man utd but started preferring going to bohs and following the LOI.

Find it more enjoyable going to games rather than watching it on the couch.

Tomw86 wrote: »

The vast majority of the irish team are Irish born and raised. Most of those that aren't have lived and played here for many years. They're new Irish. Immigrants who have made a commitment to their current country of residence. Fair play to them.

I don't think you can compare that to the typical entity that comprises the football premiership at all.

FancyGiganticLaughingthrush-small.gif

Not with all those orange order merchants for starters.

You are so-o-o soccer.

Take it whatever way you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You are so-o-o soccer.

Take it whatever way you like.

I'd have a chance of taking it some way if it made any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sounds like Ireland! These changes within club football have long since been brought about but when it transcends clubs and infects even the international domain and its citizens with somewhat exotic names and their dual; sometimes even triple nationality snubbing the country that raised them until a better team declines just where do you draw the line?!

indeed those line have been well and truly erased so where to you even begin to retrieve them... is it even possible but yes football a real reflection of an ever more topsy turvy world. When the kids in their academies begin to appear more foreign than the very foreigners they employ you just know somethings up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The vast majority of the irish team are Irish born and raised. Most of those that aren't have lived and played here for many years. They're new Irish. Immigrants who have made a commitment to their current country of residence. Fair play to them.

The problem I have with Rugby is that you can represent Ireland after 3 years of residency. You're not eligible for citizenship for a further 2 years.

I think sports should follow citizenship not bespoke residency rules. The fact that somebody can represent Ireland without being allowed hold an Irish passport doesn't sit right.

You can play for any country providing you are a citizen of that country should be the rule. If you are a dual/multi national, you pick one and play for whoever you get your first cap with.

"a commitment to their current country of residence" shouldn't be the bar. If you're committed you'd become a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well the last time i heard, Liverpool was in England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I seen bohs win the league twice and also got Paul Byrne 'ex celtic' Jersey one the last days of the season v killkenny. But i also support Liverpool who are playing quality football the last while. Actually got two bohs jerseys the last day of two different seasons - and I was well happy when I got them wouldn't matter if Glen Crowe or Ronaldo owned it. Edit I've been to more wolves games than Liverpool 'family all support wolves'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    The problem I have with Rugby is that you can represent Ireland after 3 years of residency. You're not eligible for citizenship for a further 2 years.

I think sports should follow citizenship not bespoke residency rules. The fact that somebody can represent Ireland without being allowed hold an Irish passport doesn't sit right.

You can play for any country providing you are a citizen of that country should be the rule. If you are a dual/multi national, you pick one and play for whoever you get your first cap with.

"a commitment to their current country of residence" shouldn't be the bar. If you're committed you'd become a citizen.

That is the rule now, have to be in the country 5years ie a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fryup wrote: »
    well the last time i heard, Liverpool was in England

Liverpool are an English club but one of the reasons there is such interest in them from outside England is that their players are not just English or even British.

And from an Irish perspective there's been the likes of Heighway, Whelan, Houghton, Aldridge, McAteer, Babb, Finnan, Robbie Keane over the years even if that is drying up of late.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Plus a lot of Irish people are Liverpool fans cos they are glory hunters and Liverpool used to win everything when they were young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And from an Irish perspective there's been the likes of Heighway, Whelan, Houghton, Aldridge, McAteer, Babb, Finnan, Robbie Keane over the years even if that is drying up of late.

And Partridge. You forgot Richie partridge....

Seems like everybody forgot Richie partridge. He struck up quite the partnership with Micheal Owen. Though sadly it wasn’t on the pitch apparently the two bumped into each other whilst trying to find their way around a terminally oversized ‘90s shirt, came to an agreement on who should own it (despite there being room for at least three of them) and became inseparable from there.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    And Partridge. You forgot Richie partridge....

Seems like everybody forgot Richie partridge. He struck up quite the partnership with Micheal Owen. Though sadly it wasn’t on the pitch apparently the two bumped into each other whilst trying to find their way around a terminally oversized ‘90s shirt, came to an agreement on who should own it (despite there being room for at least three of them) and became inseparable from there.

Was the third man Mark Kennedy ?

I also omitted Steve Staunton...

The general point being that it is not just Irish fans who set Liverpool, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea etc as their horizon but players too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Plus a lot of Irish people are Liverpool fans cos they are glory hunters and Liverpool used to win everything when they were young.

Yes it was rather ironic to hear Liverpool fans of the 80s slag off Man Utd fans in the 90s as being glory hunters... especially this Utd fan who remembers the gloryless 11th place in season 1988-89.

So I will allow it once you stick with the team through the trophyless seasons of mediocrity. Thats the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Liverpool are an English club but one of the reasons there is such interest in them from outside England is that their players are not just English or even British

Much like every single other Premier League club then?

Much like every single other Premier League club then?

Yes and no.

Liverpool and other major teams more likely to have the higher profile players from other countries than say Burnley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Funny how the Liverpool crew took years to realise that Suarez was a cheating racist scumbag. Everyone else knew it six years ago (when he was a Liverpool player)

Advertisement