Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You're speaking from inside the wall though. Of course you're not going to agree with it.

To be fair, from reading your posts on the site, you come across as a perfect candidate for consistently taking umbrage at perceived cliques in nearly every walk of life.

The thread has really turned into a bit of a mess, both sides of the debate, but I'd honestly say LOI would be a friendly enough place generally for new supporters that show a genuine interest.

Like any other live sport/code in Ireland, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

To be fair, from reading your posts on the site, you come across as a good candidate for taking umbrage at perceived cliques in nearly every walk of life.

The thread has really turned into a bit of a mess, both sides of the debate, but I'd honestly say LOI would be a friendly enough place generally for new supporters that show a genuine interest.

Like any other live sport in Ireland, I would imagine.

True, cliques are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Tis entertainment, little different than going to a concert or the theatre. Sure i could watch some play in my local theatre but the standard will be higher in the west end.

Obviously you'll get the snobs. When i was younger i could probably have been called a music snobs, these days i'm pretty indifferent. Watch what ever you enjoy whether thats Real Madrid or Swilly Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Plenty of people watch it, nowhere near enough IMO but there's still a decent enough number of regulars. The GAA league is a joke BTW. Check out the attendances there at some of the less attractive games. Championship is where it's at and that ties in nicely with the Event Junkie theory.
    GAA league isnt a joke but the way the GAA system/season is set up of course attendances wont be huge by and large. Everything in season for hurling/football teams is built around momentum and crowds build from provincial championships/run in qualifiers.
    That isnt event junkie more its about premier event first and foremost
    Pro rugby decimated the AIL though. The top competition in this country was practically demoted to nothing by the establishment of these 'provincial club sides'.
    Professional rugby didnt decimate the AIL. The Celtic League now Pro14 was what decimated the AIL and it took a few years for that league to really over take the AIL and club rugby as first two seasons of celtic league the competition finished by middle of December/very start of February. And pro rugby was up and running 5 years before that started. And even at that it was another few years before AIL really began to have issues
    To say that Kerry people won't support Cork City just shows that you don't have a clue. Plenty of Kerry people do. Killarney Celtic run busses for supporters a few times a year and bring gangs of kids to the 'Cross - and they love it. They've even played in the half-time kids games. Likewise with Tipperary, plenty coming down regularly from Cashel and Clonmel.
    Saying plenty is a bit much. There would be some from Clonmel going to Cork for the odd game but not many would regularly watch them play

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

I only fellow American sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think a lot of people are into the tribal aspect rather than the actual sport. Look at the Celtic-Rangers thing concentrated in the northeast.

Soccerball fandom attracts a lot of assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.

Heysel finished me with Liverpool and English clubs in general....there are still those out there that blame the stadium, the Italians and about everything else apart from themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Heysel finished me with Liverpool and English clubs in general....there are still those out there that blame the stadium, the Italians and about everything else apart from themselves

What are you on about? Do you think some of the hooligans from that night are on boards? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A conveniently forgotten part of their history. Professional grief only counts when it doesn't make them look bad.

What are you on about? Do you think some of the hooligans from that night are on boards? :confused:

Yeah. Dozens of those guys here lurking. What do you think.......? I take it you are a ‘pool fan

• Advertisement

A conveniently forgotten part of their history. Professional grief only counts when it doesn't make them look bad.

Don’t quite get your point re professional grief

Yeah. Dozens of those guys here lurking. What do you think.......? I take it you are a ‘pool fan

I'm a Liverpool fan. Can't help if that's offensive to you.

I'm a Liverpool fan. Can't help if that's offensive to you.

I don’t care but it the alligaince of Irish born people to English clubs (topic of this thread) totally puzzles me.......watching heysel live that night in May 1985 had a lasting impact on me and English football in general.......

I don’t care but it the alligaince of Irish born people to English clubs (topic of this thread) totally puzzles me.......watching heysel live that night in May 1985 had a lasting impact on me and English football in general.......

I also watched it as a kid. It was horrendous, but how you can blame the club or a country puzzles me.

Achasanai wrote: »
    I really don't think there's much of a link with 'historic' ties to certain teams. For example, I had never met a Chelsea fan when I was growing up, but there are a fair few around now, usually people whose interest in the game corresponded with how well the team were doing in the 2000s. It's why you see so few young Liverpool fans nowadays, and why Manchester City fans are making a reappearance (after a good few decades in the wilderness). Leeds fans in the 70s (none now), Arsenal fans only making appearance in the late 80s and again in the 2000s. There were even a few Everton fans when I was in school, but usually a year or two later (they got into football in the mid 80s when Everton were doing well).

Those supporting the non-successful teams of a particular era are a result of bring endoctrinated by their parents who supported the same team when they were successful......e.g young lads in 80’s who supported Manchester United when they won eff all......and these days Liverpool fans who have won nothing in 29/30 years bar one fluke of a champions league in 2005

Those supporting the non-successful teams of a particular era are a result of bring endoctrinated by their parents who supported the same team when they were successful......e.g young lads in 80’s who supported Manchester United when they won eff all......and these days Liverpool fans who had won nothing on 29/30 years bar one fluke of a champions league in 2005

You've this all figured out. Guess we can close the thread now. :rolleyes:

I also watched it as a kid. It was horrendous, but how you can blame the club or a country puzzles me.

It was rampant in all clubs in that era it was and probably is still part of every club but the police upped their game on request of Maggie thatcher who would have banned soccer if she had her way......game security has become a military like operation since the 80’s to keep the yobs apart.

Can blame the club because there are those who still will not accept that they were at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

For a laugh now and again I'll scroll through a match thread from say a Liverpool and Man United match, absolutely hilarious the stuff sprouted on there, " We" , " Our" , ya Scouse bollix, ya Manc bollix, all Irishmen. Hilarious indeed....

For a laugh now and again I'll scroll through a match thread from say a Liverpool and Man United match, absolutely hilarious the stuff sprouted on there, " We" , " Our" , ya Scouse bollix, ya Manc bollix, all Irishmen. Hilarious indeed....

Something to behold alright.......they should consider changing their passports/nationality

Can blame the club because there are those who still will not accept that they were at fault

Who is 'they'? But, you're in full on Troll mode. Have you any friends you can talk to in RL?

• Advertisement

Who is 'they'? But, you're in full on Troll mode. Have you any friends you can take to in RL?

Call me a troll if you like but if you watch the documentary on heysel that c4 did a few years ago you will get this sentiment......RL=...?

Call me a troll if you like but if you watch the documentary on heysel that c4 did a few years ago you will get this sentiment......RL=...?

The ‘day’ I refer to is an element of the ‘Liverpool fans’...!

The ‘day’ I refer to is an element of the ‘Liverpool fans’...!

Here's the thing. There are absolute scum in all walks of life. See the abuse Jack Grealish is getting tonight. That's a humanity thing. Do you think this behaviour is exclusive to English soccer?

Here's the thing. There are absolute scum in all walks of life. See the abuse Jack Grealish is getting tonight. That's a humanity thing. Do you think this behaviour is exclusive to English soccer?

An awful lot more of this element of behavior is in English society and amongst English soccer fans.....huge police presence keeps the lid on it....
    Moranic chanting is another attribute that this cohort of ‘fans’ engage in such as continuing to taunt/jeer about Munich air disaster and the reciprocal ‘hillsborough’ chants by Man U element

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's not pretending to be English, it's not been afraid to admit that there's some things the English do better, just like the way America do films and tv shows better than us

It's funny how fixated some posters are on the English aspect of it, if anything it's a global league with English cities football clubs simply being the backdrop and location, think about all the East Asian club owners and the players whom are vastly French, Spanish, South American or from the Francophone African nations, even a club like Chelsea whom are linked with a right-wing Home Counties fanbase have large numbers of touristy looking people in the stands, many of whom are probably there as Hazard or Higuain fanboys, another recent development where people follow players rather than teams for life.

German or Italian football are far more quintessentially German or Italian.

dd973 wrote: »
    It's funny how fixated some posters are on the English aspect of it, if anything it's a global league with English cities football clubs simply being the backdrop and location, think about all the East Asian club owners and the players whom are vastly French, Spanish, South American or from the Francophone African nations, even a club like Chelsea whom are linked with a right-wing Home Counties fanbase have large numbers of touristy looking people in the stands, many of whom are probably there as Hazard or Higuain fanboys, another recent development where people follow players rather than teams for life.

German or Italian football are far more quintessentially German or Italian.

Just another example of how childish brainless The Whole concept is.....Irish guys following a teams like say chealsa with almost 100% foreign non-uk or Irish players, owned by some Russian oil guy etc. it’s an extension of the school yard mentality into adulthood.......hearing guys getting excited about the January transfer market deadlines and who their team might buy.....local radio station doing Saturday afternoon premiership match live reporting.......pubs showing international games during the euros or World Cup with ITV or bbc coverage on rather than RTÉ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just another example of how childish brainless The Whole concept is.....Irish guys following a teams like say chealsa with almost 100% foreign non-uk or Irish players, owned by some Russian oil guy etc. it’s an extension of the school yard mentality into adulthood.......hearing guys getting excited about the January transfer market deadlines and who their team might buy.....local radio station doing Saturday afternoon premiership match live reporting.......pubs showing international games during the euros or World Cup with ITV or bbc coverage on rather than RT....

Add to that the moaning that goes on on the soccer board here at international break because there is no EPL on and even worse the posts ,and they do exist, from people who say they would prefer see Liverpool/Utd/whomever win something over The Republic Of Ireland national team progress internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We do this so we don't have to type out Liverpool or Manchester United every time. We had a good result against Burnley yesterday doesn't mean anymore than that. Never understand why this upsets people.
    The Manc/Scouse bollix bit I get alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We do this so we don't have to type out Liverpool or Manchester United every time. We had a good result against Burnley yesterday doesn't mean anymore than that. Never understand why this upsets people.
    The Manc/Scouse bollix bit I get alright

Are there any examples of people calling other posters here a Manc or Scouse anything? I have to say I don’t recall seeing that posted on this site but the way OP said it sounded like it happens here all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

given how the soccer forum is moderated i call BS on this "ya Scouse bollix, ya Manc bollix" actually happening.

Advertisement