Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink driving, would you do it?

Options
  • 05-01-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Following a link on here earlier to a Dublin radio station and I went browsing through some of the other links. I came across the stupidest woman in Ireland.

Basically she says rather than walk home for ten mins she would drive her car for 3 mins after 4 or 5 drinks. She goes on to admit that when she felt unfit to drive she drove slower. She spends the whole interview defending herself and acting like she knows better than anyone else. Sheer bloody mindedness.

Then she takes a pop at people on bikes and people who drive on medication. Pure comedy gold except we share the road with her.

So, good people of AH, would you agree with her and take a chance or just leave the car at home.

http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/Dublin_Talks/98FMs_Dublin_Talks/64052/Ballymun_Woman_Admits_Shocking_Reason_She_Drink_Drives

For me, I had to do my test twice cos I messed up with the 1st through nerves. So I swore I would never risk my hard won licence for the sake of a pint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Absolutely not.

Anyone who would is an idiot. It’s simply not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

The attitude of this woman is pure shocking, its hard to believe anyone can be that thick

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I refer you to the answer I gave just over 8 years ago

(that was one of my earliest post in AH!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No, I wouldn't. Not worth the risk, even if I only had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Beasty wrote: »
    I refer you to the answer I gave just over 8 years ago

(that was one of my earliest post in AH!)

Wow. Do you remember all of your Twenty Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Fourteen posts? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Would I drink drive ?
    Nope , I've one dead in my family , he was the drink driving.
    I've another who should've went to prison for mowing down someone while drunk driving.
    And finally another who got himself , I think , a twenty year ban for drink driving.
    Three geebags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

I was actually on a certain show, years ago, talking to a nice lad named Joe and I can assure you I was not a plant, got no instructions before it went on air, but it was a hellva laugh. I wish I could get a copy but it was 05 i think so too far back.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AllForIt wrote: »
    Wow. Do you remember all of your Twenty Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Fourteen posts? : )
    Make that "and fifteen...."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No definitely not.
    Good enough for Jackie Stewart good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No. Never. Not even after one. I might feel fine but the breathalyzer might think differently. Not worth taking a chance. I'd be lost without my car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Depends on the car I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Absolutely not. It's a barrier I have, no matter how 'brave' I am with drink, I wouldn't risk it. I'd be fcuked without a driving license, and that's only minor compared to the damage I could potentially cause.

Someone said to me about ten years ago that they'd never drive after two or three drinks, but wouldn't trust themselves not to after ten pints. I'm sure that's how a lot of drink driving happens, you have no intention of doing it, then get dutch courage and say "fcuk it, be grand".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Never did or will, even after one beer I wouldn’t chance it even if I knew I was capable.
    I don’t think I could live with myself if I caused an accident or injuries to someone else because I was stupid enough to drink drive.
    One habit I have changed in the last few years is not driving the next morning even after 4 or 5 although I know I would be capable my life would be ****ed if I lost my license..

The amount of people that still drink and drive is staggering, I live near a rural enough town with 4 pubs and the amount of cars parked up on a weekend night and then all Bar a few gone the next morning, and no way are they all drinking minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I remember starting to drive and my dad warning me that a few pints was enough when driving.

Shortly afterwards the “two will do” campaign was brought in.

I drove once when seriously over, was a stupid thing to do, it wasn’t planned.

I would have a glass of wine with dinner when out, just the one though.

https://goo.gl/images/fK1MwK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drank once when I was driving a car in......

........Grand theft auto:D

Real answer No, not under any circumstances.

At this stage I'd report anyone I saw drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. Never. Wouldnt do it if i was paid. One of the stupidest and most thoughtless things any driver could do.
    If i could change the law on it id have a complete lifetime ban on anyone caught. None of this stupid sympathy for drivers caught and then allowed tell some sob story and the equally stupid and soft judge let him/her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I(unfortunately) knew someone that was banned for drink driving for 3 years I think.
    within six months of getting the licence back, they were caught at it again.

I think it should be a ten year ban(they might feel the pinch then), and then instant disqualification for life if ever caught again after that ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Nope. No way and I know people that do it and justify it. Disgusts me and it's terrifying being in a car driven by a drunk person. I didn't know they were drunk until after btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I would imagine knocking someone down and then driving over them slower is not as bad as hitting them at 5 miles faster (or 15 miles faster, sure it seems slower when your drunk but you have an excuse for it)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No. Have never done it and would never do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Have done it before and probably do it again, I unlike a lot of people on this thread will admit to it. Most people who drive have done it at sometime in their driving career.

Have done it before and probably do it again, I unlike a lot of people on this thread will admit to it. Most people who drive have done it at sometime in their driving career.

Tarring everyone with the same brush to excuse your excuses. Bravo to you til you kill someone while doing your civic duty of doing what every one else is apparently doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Real answer No, not under any circumstances.

At this stage I'd report anyone I saw drink driving.

But would you report somebody you saw texting while driving.??
    Its said to be 20 times more dangerous than drink driving.!!
    But its harder to prove thus a 'blind eye' is commonly turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, I would not. It's a terrible thing to do and it can have disastrous consequences for you and other people. I know one or two people who have had accidents while driving drunk, thankfully nothing too severe but that was more down to luck than anything, and while I wouldn't shun them completely as individuals I really can't have the same level of friendship with them that I had before. I think it's a deeply selfish and irresponsible thing to do - whatever about hurting yourself, you could kill an innocent person all too easily while driving drunk. What kind of person can live with that decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Nope.live in the middle of nowhere and couldn't cope if I got a ban.
    Having said that,15 or 20 years ago it seemed to be the social norm,so can't say I haven't done it in the past,driving the few miles home along backroads after a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nope, never have done and never will.

Only time I came close to it was this summer. I was walking back from the pub with my boyfriend. After about 3 drinks. I had parked my car on a double yellow earlier that evening as there were no free spots near my house (joys of having public street parking).

There was loads of free spaces after appearing so I was going to move my car just incase I got a ticket the next morning. But my boyfriend convinced me not to...

Lo and behold I got a parking ticket the next morning but still glad I left the car there.
    Would have been fine moving it a few metres down the road but still could have been caught.

• Advertisement

Should really turn the ahh sure you had a few drinks and killed someone into culpable murder in Ireland, seriously have no time for people who make excuses for drunk driving

Bravo to everyone they said no

Advertisement