Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink driving, would you do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

emeldc wrote: »
    Ehhhh, I think you’ll find that’s 1 unit per hour, not 1 pint. A pint of lager is 2+ units. You might want to rethink your user name :)

Nah, its about 3 units per hour for me. The 1 unit is for a 50Kg girl with a knackered liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

How many people have driven home for work on a long commute wreck tired. Half the journey zoned out and driving on instinct
    This is a common occurence yet it has little real affect on motor crash stats
    Same is true of driving with few drinks on board
    Same is true of drug driving

The real reason road deaths have dropped is better roads and better cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

That radio show is on at my place of work every morning. That woman is most definitely a plant. It’s easy enough to tell the genuine callers from the stooges after a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

How many people have driven home for work on a long commute wreck tired. Half the journey zoned out and driving on instinct
    This is a common occurence yet it has little real affect on motor crash stats
    Same is true of driving with few drinks on board
    Same is true of drug driving

The real reason road deaths have dropped is better roads and better cars

On the rare occasions that people do have to work past midnight at my workplace (which would mean a 12+ hour working day for them), the company offers to put them up in a nearby hotel. We would know in advance, and I usually arrange for may husband to come pick me up or stay at the hotel.
    I have driven once when very tired, and would never ever do it again.

There are laws around how long truck drivers can drive before they have to take a rest, but I can't see a way of getting something sensible in place to identify private individuals doing it. So other than awareness-campaigns, there may be little can be done about that.

I realise I'm going sound very obnoxious and judgemental now, but I really don't get why people are so determined to drink even if they now they will have to drive? Why does it seem such an imposition to just switch to something without alcohol when you've the car parked outside?
    You may not always be able to avoid driving when tired, or feeling ill, but you can always avoid drinking when you know you have to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I often drove after drink back in the 80's early 90's but wouldn't nowadays. I suppose being young and foolish and it was the norm back then as there wasn't many taxis around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

"Callers" to those shows are all plants told to be as controversial as possible.

Niall Boylan at night is the worst offender
    Same callers different names

That radio show is on at my place of work every morning. That woman is most definitely a plant. It’s easy enough to tell the genuine callers from the stooges after a while.

If you ask me the stooges are the ones that don't cop the plant and ring in in a fit of rage. It happens on slow news days to get the phones hopping to kill air time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Twice, back in the mid 90's. Had a liquid lunch, two pints of Guinness in pretty rapid succession. Then drove about eight miles on a country road. The two pints hit me about a mile in. Took a stupid overtaking manoeuvre that I wouldn't have if stoney sober. Near pooed my pants. Second time I had a feed of beer at a party. Went to bed early the next morning. Got about four hours sleep if that. Then drove about twenty miles mostly on country roads at around noon the following morning. I was in a much worse state that time. Though didn't feel "drunk", just exhausted. Stupid. Never again.

I've driven a couple of times on the wacky baccy. Again years ago. Stupid, but in my humble far less dangerous than with drink on board. For me anyway. I got The Fear™ - the only time I ever have - and drove so slowly glaciers were overtaking me. I don't think I got the car out of second gear. Not a drug fuelled illusion either. The distance involved driving at normal under the speed limit speeds(40-50kph) would have taken less than ten minutes at that time of night, but stoned it took me over twenty. Yep. I reckon I topped out at 20 odd Kph. Still stupid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Shenshen wrote: »
    On the rare occasions that people do have to work past midnight at my workplace (which would mean a 12+ hour working day for them), the company offers to put them up in a nearby hotel. We would know in advance, and I usually arrange for may husband to come pick me up or stay at the hotel.
    I have driven once when very tired, and would never ever do it again.

There are laws around how long truck drivers can drive before they have to take a rest, but I can't see a way of getting something sensible in place to identify private individuals doing it. So other than awareness-campaigns, there may be little can be done about that.

I realise I'm going sound very obnoxious and judgemental now, but I really don't get why people are so determined to drink even if they now they will have to drive? Why does it seem such an imposition to just switch to something without alcohol when you've the car parked outside?
    You may not always be able to avoid driving when tired, or feeling ill, but you can always avoid drinking when you know you have to drive.

Firstly the rules on truck driving are regularly broken by switching of cards this is not done out of badness but because the truck business has very tight margins
    Secondly I used to commute like many others a long distance and I had young children and I sometimes reached destination and wondered how I got there, I am not saying it is right but it had to be done
    Thirdly that is at least as dangerous as drink driving but the last part of your post states you understand tired driving as it might be necessary, I hope we can all agree that is hyprocricy
    Fourthly drink driving has been going on again for at least 10 years in rural Ireland and yet no significant effect. , I know family neighbors and friends who do it , they just don’t do it at bank holidays and Christmas time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

The year was 2005.

I was leaving Roscommon Golf Club after having 2 full rounds of Guiness.
    That's 8 pints as we were playing in a football.
    Rounded the bend, bugger, checkpoint.
    As we crept forward I felt like making a run for it, just abandoning the car.
    Anyway, we were one back from the front when the guards started rapping on the window of the car in front.
    No response so they opened his door, out he fell of his own drivers seat only caught by one of the guards.
    We got waved on in the commotion.

It was different times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Where I come from, if people saw you even try to leave in your car after drinking, the police would be called before you left. That is - if you weren't rugby-tackled to the ground and the keys taken from you first! :D

Tell us more about this mysterious/fabulous place you come from.!!
    Would the people there also call the police if they saw a driver on a mobile phone or texting while driving.?
    Or would they turn a blind eye because they do it themselves, even though its now proved to be far more dangerous than drink driving.
    Or does it make them feel cool because reporting drink driving is 'flavor of the month'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Tnks for that very pleasant person you are. So is everybody that drinks and drives a scumbag. If they drink 1 is it ok. Or 2 or 3 where is your cut off point. If it's at 0 then there are alot of scumbags. Think you might have a few problems praying things like that. Kinda feel sorry for you.

Feel sorry for me? Your conscience at you?? Anyone that drives over the limit is scum.

washman3 wrote: »
    Would you also class a driver texting as a scumbag.?
    Its now reckoned to be 20 times more dangerous than drink-driving.

This is a thread on drink driving. You want to have a conversation about hula hooping while driving or anything else open a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Feel sorry for me? Your conscience at you?? Anyone that drives over the limit is scum.

I feel sorry for you that you pray ill on people. You must have a lot of issues.

I am glad though that you don't think I'm a scumbag as I drink drive under the limit.

I feel sorry for you that you pray ill on people. You must have a lot of issues.

I am glad though that you don't think I'm a scumbag as I drink drive under the limit.

Thanks for bing so virtuous. You truly are a saint amongst men.

I had a friend over in the evening. He said he'd only had an hour sleep due to a newborn and then he made a move to drive home. I decked him and threw his keys in the fire because that is what friends are for.

Thanks for bing so virtuous. You truly are a saint amongst men.

I'm far from it, there are lots of people I don't like but I wouldn't pray some catastrophe on them.

I'm far from it, there are lots of people I don't like but I wouldn't pray some catastrophe on them.

If someone is willing to selfishly put other people’s lives on the line for the sake of a feed of pints then they deserve all the pain in the world.

If someone is willing to selfishly put other people’s lives on the line for the sake of a feed of pints then they deserve all the pain in the world.

No point conversing with you anymore, get yourself sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

This is a thread on drink driving. You want to have a conversation about hula hooping while driving or anything else open a thread on it.

I gladly will do. And I will invite you to give your opinions on it when I open it.
    From reading your posts thus far on drink driving, I conclude that your main gripe is people DRINKING alcohol rather than those driving under the influence of it.

FYI, I rarely drink and would not drink and drive.

• Advertisement

The year was 2005.

I was leaving Roscommon Golf Club after having 2 full rounds of Guiness.
    That's 8 pints as we were playing in a football.
    Rounded the bend, bugger, checkpoint.
    As we crept forward I felt like making a run for it, just abandoning the car.
    Anyway, we were one back from the front when the guards started rapping on the window of the car in front.
    No response so they opened his door, out he fell of his own drivers seat only caught by one of the guards.
    We got waved on in the commotion.

It was different times
    It was fairly common back in the 80's for drivers to abandon the car in the middle of the road coming up to a check point. A driver in front of us did it one night, left the car door open and scampered off over a stone wall and off through the fields. The garda came back to our car and we had a laugh about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I live rural and work in a bar and have to admit for a lot of people the deciding factors are,

How many drinks they have had.
    What time it is.
    Which road they have to travel.

Im not saying its right, Just giving an insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Not on public roads.

But honest to god lads, there is an insane amount of craic to be had with a few cans and an old banger of a car or scrambler in a field/on private land. I'm not talking hammered drunk, obviously, but just a couple of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I never even head of that show till i followed the link, I really hope your right but am afraid that there are many like her in real life.

on another point, am ashamed to say I gave up reporting these guys years ago. Unless someone is steaming drunk and weaving then its not gonna matter, the gardi rarely respond unless your behind the drunk and can give directions (which i have done).

I used to work in a shop beside a pub, mid summer the usual wasters would pull up, three jeeps in same family, have dinner and some pints, then drive two mins home. A Garda told me he would want to be parked outside in plain clothes to have a chance of getting there in time and "sure their not going far".

That was 03/04 so hopefully the attitude has changed now, but the 3 jeeps are there every sat/sun to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bottle or two of what? Whiskey/vodka?. Bottle is ambiguous!.

sorry, vodka. Obviously :rolleyes:

soups05 wrote: »
    I never even head of that show till i followed the link, I really hope your right but am afraid that there are many like her in real life.

on another point, am ashamed to say I gave up reporting these guys years ago. Unless someone is steaming drunk and weaving then its not gonna matter, the gardi rarely respond unless your behind the drunk and can give directions (which i have done).

I used to work in a shop beside a pub, mid summer the usual wasters would pull up, three jeeps in same family, have dinner and some pints, then drive two mins home. A Garda told me he would want to be parked outside in plain clothes to have a chance of getting there in time and "sure their not going far".

That was 03/04 so hopefully the attitude has changed now, but the 3 jeeps are there every sat/sun to this day.
    You never heard plants on the radio, Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was fairly common back in the 80's for drivers to abandon the car in the middle of the road coming up to a check point. A driver in front of us did it one night, left the car door open and scampered off over a stone wall and off through the fields. The garda came back to our car and we had a laugh about it.

A few years ago in West Donegal, a guy drove through a checkpoint as he knew he was over the limit. The Gardai chased him and eventually came upon the abandoned car at the side of the road some miles later. One garda phoned the station with the reg, and the garda at the station said, 'sure I know that guy.. I have his number here on my phone, I'll give him a ring'

the gardai then heard the Nokia ringtone coming from some bushes in a field up the road from the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nah, its about 3 units per hour for me. The 1 unit is for a 50Kg girl with a knackered liver.

It's one unit per hour for an average male, at best. You may be an analyst but the Medics say otherwise.

More precise rates from extensive studies show
    under 8 units: number of units + 1 hour
    8-11 units: number of units + 1.5 hours
    12 units plus: number of units x 1.5

And further recent research is suggesting that a BAC of 0.16 per hour is fairly consistent regardless of sex or weight.

It's one unit per hour for an average male, at best. You may be an analyst but the Medics say otherwise.

More precise rates from extensive studies show
    under 8 units: number of units + 1 hour
    8-11 units: number of units + 1.5 hours
    12 units plus: number of units x 1.5

And further recent research is suggesting that a BAC of 0.16 per hour is fairly consistent regardless of sex or weight.

Yeah i've tested myself many times as have others I know.

• Advertisement

I had a friend over in the evening. He said he'd only had an hour sleep due to a newborn and then he made a move to drive home. I decked him and threw his keys in the fire because that is what friends are for.

Sorry, a simple thanks won’t do, this is the post of the day.

Advertisement