Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink driving, would you do it?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

No but I did. One of stupidest crashes ever.

Had a glass of wine (large glass) and my other half suggested we get another bottle and we agreed she go as she hadn't drank yet. Reversed car out of driveway as I was blocking her in and waited on her to drive out. Realised she needed a couple of extra feet room so lightly touched the accelerator or so I thought - smashed into side of neighbours car who was parked 10 yards behind me doing a fair bit of damage. Was a few hundred in repairs but still think sometimes what if there had been someone between me and his car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

No.
    Personally I think anybody caught over the limit should have the car they are driving seized,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It is not normal behaviour to discuss real peoples tragedies in a forum where everyone else is anonymous.
    I know you will post what you want and i really feel sorry for you because you dont understand boundaries and privacy.
    If you want to name names, start with your real name first.

It’s very very common to discuss tragedies on boards.ie.

The parents of this drink driving child victim have been very vocal in their vilification of drunk drivers. They’re part of a very public, national media campaign to clamp down on the crime. They want discussion, they want change, they want more awareness of the results and deaths that drink driving bring.

Trying to shush it up and admonishing them, or other people for talking about it is wrong, these crimes shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.

The campaign is aimed directly at the likes of you that things it’s ridiculous not being able to drive after “a few scoops”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The campaign is aimed directly at the likes of you that things it’s ridiculous not being able to drive after “a few scoops”.

My dad was almost killed by a drink driver and his best friend died in the same accident.
    I have absolute 0 tolerance for drink driving.

Fact is, alcohol as well as certain medication does have an effect on your ability to drive. You probably won't notice it after the first two pints but it only takes a split second and the damage is done. That said for a lot of people that drive after a few it'll always work out, they know the roads and as we all know it's grand, nothing will happen, right? But if you'd hit someone on your way home after the pub would you continue with that kind of behavior?

Fact is, you're not fit drive after some pints. You're not fit to drive when you're taking certain medication.
    I sometimes have to take incredibly strong painkillers with codeine, I usually get a bit dizzy and slow from them. I am not fit to drive in that case so I won't get into the car. The effect is quite similar when you had some drinks, it makes your reaction time slower.

I can't get my head around why people would maneuver a vehicle that weighs over a ton when they choose to have some drinks. Yes, you know your vehicle, you know the roads. But you're under influence of a drug, you shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

LirW wrote: »
    My dad was almost killed by a drink driver and his best friend died in the same accident.
    I have absolute 0 tolerance for drink driving.

Fact is, alcohol as well as certain medication does have an effect on your ability to drive. You probably won't notice it after the first two pints but it only takes a split second and the damage is done. That said for a lot of people that drive after a few it'll always work out, they know the roads and as we all know it's grand, nothing will happen, right? But if you'd hit someone on your way home after the pub would you continue with that kind of behavior?

Fact is, you're not fit drive after some pints. You're not fit to drive when you're taking certain medication.
    I sometimes have to take incredibly strong painkillers with codeine, I usually get a bit dizzy and slow from them. I am not fit to drive in that case so I won't get into the car. The effect is quite similar when you had some drinks, it makes your reaction time slower.

I can't get my head around why people would maneuver a vehicle that weighs over a ton when they choose to have some drinks. Yes, you know your vehicle, you know the roads. But you're under influence of a drug, you shouldn't be on the road.

I'm a safer driver after 4 pints than those over 85 year old drivers. The only time i ever saw a car going down the motorway the wrong way there was an ancient auld biddy at the wheel.
    Please don't limit your vilification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You're comparing apples with pears. While a lot of elderly people might not be fit for the road anymore, this is no excuse for driving after 4 pints. If an elderly kills someone because they're not fit for the road, they kill someone. If you kill someone because your reaction time is lower due to a few, you kill someone.
    Don't use another road problem as an excuse for your irresponsible behavior.

I bet you'd be alright with it when some eejit ploughs down your wife/child/best friend after having 4 pints because hey, he drives better and safer than some zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

jbt123 wrote: »
    How do you know he was drunk? Could he have been a speeding texting scumbag?

Just asking..

Good question. The guards said it was most likely a drunk driver based on the time it happened, the area, time of year and number of parties etc. It was years ago. Before people had smartphones. Could have been a texting scumbag but it was back in the days when everyone had massive brick mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

LirW wrote: »
    You're comparing apples with pears. While a lot of elderly people might not be fit for the road anymore, this is no excuse for driving after 4 pints. If an elderly kills someone because they're not fit for the road, they kill someone. If you kill someone because your reaction time is lower due to a few, you kill someone.
    Don't use another road problem as an excuse for your irresponsible behavior.

I bet you'd be alright with it when some eejit ploughs down your wife/child/best friend after having 4 pints because hey, he drives better and safer than some zombie.
    No I just want some equality for **** drivers who kill people. Scum the lot of them. The phone users, the incompetent, the poorly sighted, the drinkers, the drug abusers, the inexperienced, the tired. Vile scum as bad as paedophiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

I suspect a lot more people chance driving with a few drinks than let on, take the pub car parks that are full of cars most weekend nights, ok some might be on soft drinks...some might be getting a lift with someone not drinking ect....but it still leaves a lot of cars that are not there next morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It’s very very common to discuss tragedies on boards.ie.

The parents of this drink driving child victim have been very vocal in their vilification of drunk drivers. They’re part of a very public, national media campaign to clamp down on the crime. They want discussion, they want change, they want more awareness of the results and deaths that drink driving bring.

Trying to shush it up and admonishing them, or other people for talking about it is wrong, these crimes shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.

Your post used a real tragedy by name to make a point then in the same post U told me Ireland did not need me please leave
    If u can’t see the issue with ur post then fair enough
    What u need to remember we are all anonymous on here what anyone posts here mean nothing
    Your posts to me, fair enough but using the name
    On this forum, it is either stupidity or callousness on your behalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see a driver for a Donegal bus company was caught over the limit when driving from Dublin to Donegal.

Shocking that someone carrying so many people on a bus was over the limit.

Your post used a real tragedy by name to make a point

As did the family of the tragedy did, to raise awareness, do you understand this? Because I’ve explained it to you a few times now.
    then in the same post U told me Ireland did not need me please leave

I said Ireland didn’t need your attitude regarding your post about living in a nanny state cause you weren’t allowed drive your car after your few scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

If the detail of the question in the OP is "Would you drive after drinking four or five pints of beer (or equivalent) like that woman on the radio?" then my answer would be "Absolutely not!"

If the question had been: "Would you drive after drinking two pints over the course of an evening?" then up until a few years ago I would have said, unashamedly: "Yes". Today I would say "Reluctantly no, unless I could prove accurately to myself that I was not over the legal limit in which case I would have no problem."

Sadly, for many people, two pints will put them over. And the scaremongers even say that one pint might.

This is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Either way, you're attitude isn't welcome here in Ireland. Off you go.

Don't wish too hard for that sort of thing. You might get it.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've done it. More times than I care to remember. Some mornings I wouldn't even have an idea of how I managed to drive home, considering I didn't remember doing it. Maybe it's a bit different as I lived in the country, and there's no taxis, let alone buses. It happened during a period of my life when it was all about the drink. Thankfully, I haven't sat in to drive a car with drink in my in years, and I will never do it again. Stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do, but shur I didn't realise it at the time. I do now. Thankfully, I never caused an accident, but I would have had no one to blame but myself.

Speaking of, it's definitely more accepted in the country. It was nearly the done thing at the time, but thankfully this is starting to become the exception rather than the rule nowadays.

My advice, don't do it. You think you're grand, but you really don't know how bad your driving is while drunk.

Don't wish too hard for that sort of thing. You might get it.

Just saying.

Don’t wish too hard that a positive attitude to drink driving might feic off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see a driver for a Donegal bus company was caught over the limit when driving from Dublin to Donegal.

Shocking that someone carrying so many people on a bus was over the limit.

You got a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No and I never would - I am not that stupid or selfish. If you can’t or won’t pay for a taxi home or have no one to collect either walk home, don’t drink or stay at home and have a few.

How anyone could think it’s acceptable to put everyone else at risk just because they’re to lazy to make alternative arrangements to get home or too stingy to pay for taxis et. Is beyond me.

I personally feel that if you get caught over the limit you should receive the maximum fine and points on the spot and or jail time depending on how drunk you are. Not to mention having your car seized.

Advertisement